ADVERTISEMENT

Is it safe to say the adage of Defense wins championships is dead?

mydome88

Dec 21, 2005
Just watching the way college football has evolved it seems like you need to win the game with an explosive offense. As more of a purist lean, I don't like it...as a PSU fan I am happy to see that we finally have the horses to compete on that front. Seems like D is just a situational thing these days.

Just watching the way college football has evolved it seems like you need to win the game with an explosive offense. As more of a purist lean, I don't like it...as a PSU fan I am happy to see that we finally have the horses to compete on that front. Seems like D is just a situational thing these days.
It seems like the spread offenses with quick score capability are the teams that win more games. It's how the game has changed.

In college football, yes. My concern is this is what the NFL will become in 5 years. It's pitiful.

Its been dead

I get a kick out of posters (well one particular poster) who would always point to Clemson and Bama and say how we need elite DTs like Wilkens because they win championships

Then I would point out the stats and scores of the last two championship games

They posted those stats and scores on tonight's game - I think they averaged 1,000 yards a game !!!!!

To win a championship these days.. you need an elite offense and defense. Can’t just pick and choose
May not be likely now after that blocked kick, but Oklahoma certainly could have won/win the championship this year and I don't know that their D would be considered elite. I think you need elite athletes who can make plays but that doesn't make a great D.

Reactions: colt21

I'd like to see some rule changes to bring back some balance between O & D. Offensive holding should be 15 yards and maybe 2 feet in bounds for receptions. Not holding my breath on those ideas.

Disagree, better defense still the way to go though it may not be a dominant defensive performance. At key points of games usually the team with the better defense will shine through even if game turns to a shootout.

Perfect example was Georgia tonight who clearly coming in had better defense. Their D made 2 or 3 huge plays at the end of the game to help them win.

Bama going for 5th champ in 9 years now. Never have a dominant offense or QB, but seem to always have a dominant defense.

If we had a better defense we would be in the Final 4 no doubt, but OSU defense was better and it showed in end of our game with them. Better D seems to come out in the end victorious.

You can win the Big 12 without a good D, but otherwise you need both.

Not so sure, I would say that right now, Alabama looks like the favorite, and they play pretty good defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT