ADVERTISEMENT

I don't look forward to watching this team

Guilty of gushing hyperbole (ha). Nah, I haven’t watched for ALL of my 65 years, but even the high paces of Taylor, Nolf, and Zain seem less than MM’s. Shouldn’t be hard to fathom, just a different opinion. Supporting your point, family folk do say I forget more all the time, so there’s a good chance the stars you mention were just as frenetic as MM. All Lions, though, so it’s all good.
Can’t say the same for this thread topic.
Excellent response. It’s kinda normal though. The best ever, or most whatever, is usually the most recent. So your comment is fine, even if others point out examples. Remember that Martinez called out Nolf about Nolf’s pace not being all that, then it turned out his pace WAS all that. lol.

MM’s pace is born, not learned, and very much like Cael, Magic, Nolf and Metcalf.

And the terminator. :)

I think Mesenbrink and SVN are exciting as any of the past greats. A few past PSU teams might have had a higher concentration of kids with freewheeling styles but most of the previous great teams only had a few of those guys just like this team. As much fun as I had watching them I absolutely love seeing dominance and this team is the most dominant team I’ve ever seen. I like this team a lot because you have all time great probable 4 timers as well as true freshman and they all win doing it their own way

I think Mesenbrink and SVN are exciting as any of the past greats. A few past PSU teams might have had a higher concentration of kids with freewheeling styles but most of the previous great teams only had a few of those guys just like this team. As much fun as I had watching them I absolutely love seeing dominance and this team is the most dominant team I’ve ever seen. I like this team a lot because you have all time great probable 4 timers as well as true freshman and they all win doing it their own way
I love watching this dominant team every bit as much as teams of the past. For example, one of my favorite matches of the year was Haines' clinical destruction of Franek. Just great, dominant, fundamental wrestling. I've watched it several times.

This is an Olympic year and while we are in the College season it immediately rolls into the Olympics. A different style. I look at our "exciting" wrestlers from the past, and how they have reshaped their style to increase their chances of winning International Wrestling competitions.

I think this year is about as interesting as it gets.

• 125. How good is Braeden? Every week is a new measuring stick.

• 141. I was 100% into what would happen in the 7 days of Mendez and Woods. And now it’s can Beau really do it???

• 149. The Evans vs Kasak storyline and now, like 125, it’s how good is he with a new measuring stick every match.

• 165. Nuff said.

• 174 and 197: two 4xers in same season?

• 285: finally Kerk’s year. Dominating everyone

Sprinkle in:
  • How much over Iowa?
  • 170.5 or higher?
  • Barraclough
  • Evans
  • Cochran
  • Oly Trials (who on the team is going to qualify)
And I’m as into it as ever.

I think there is a very wide chasm between "this team isn't as exciting as some teams in the past" and "I don't look forward to watching this team" (which is the title of this thread).

I'd agree with the first. I would not agree with the second.

If you don't look forward to watching this team compete, I really don't know what to do for you.
Agreed. And while i certainly look forward to watching every psu match. This year has been the least interesting to me. And not solely because of the dominance

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mcpat
It may be weak, but the complaint being expressed is that these guys are just so damned efficient. Everything they do, they do well and better than anyone else. They may well be the greatest PSU team ever. But the "wow" factor is rarely seen except with MM sometimes, and maybe CS or AB --- but sometimes it looks like even these guys are getting a bit bored.
This whole season could have been mailed-in in advance. The real excitement occurs when Cael throws in a second-stringer to pull an upset, as they inevitably do, it seems.
'nuff said?
I dunno…When I watch Kerk smoothly pick up and launch a large man onto the Resilite, I most definitely mutter “WOW”!

I'm in the camp that says since Hofstra was on the schedule this year, then I'd pick this team.

In years past, I'd have picked the team when Brown, Buffalo, Army, ________, was on the schedule.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

I think joy thiefs are closely related to energy vampires.

tumblr_pp23magi8f1rz6w0do4_500.gif

Reactions: Roar More
Some of you guys don't get what I am saying!

Watching wrestlers do typical takedowns and turns is not something you can show the casual fan and have them go ooh and aww. We have some of the best wrestlers ever but they very rarely put on a show like Taylor, Nolf, Write, Ruth and Bo, ETC.

Hall might hit a mixer, Joseph might hit a nice trip or throw, Taylor does Taylor things, Ruth was dynamic and Bo and Nolf put on an absolute show.

I miss the creativity of some of the past greats but love the fact that these new kids are winning at a astounding rate!

Sure I am thankful for the team we have and have not missed a dual or tourney on air or in person in many years.
Watching Zain, nolf, cenzo, hall, and bo all in a row was often 9 total minutes of pure entertainment.

I think this year is about as interesting as it gets.

• 125. How good is Braeden? Every week is a new measuring stick.

• 141. I was 100% into what would happen in the 7 days of Mendez and Woods. And now it’s can Beau really do it???

• 149. The Evans vs Kasak storyline and now, like 125, it’s how good is he with a new measuring stick every match.

• 165. Nuff said.

• 174 and 197: two 4xers in same season?

• 285: finally Kerk’s year. Dominating everyone

Sprinkle in:
  • How much over Iowa?
  • 170.5 or higher?
  • Barraclough
  • Evans
  • Cochran
  • Oly Trials (who on the team is going to qualify)
And I’m as into it as ever.
I had a lot of the same thoughts, same reasons for excitement. Though you phrased it better than I could have!

Reactions: mcpat
Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal were walking highlight reels and offensive juggernauts. They were dangerous in all positions. I think the level of talent has gone up especially with scrambling/funk ability across all of wrestling. True freshman are coming in ready to compete due to higher level clubs and coaching. We always seem to have two or 3 hammers that are offensive juggernauts in the lineup. RBY and Nick Lee were right there too. Right now I think that is MM, CS, and AB are our juggernauts. These guys are just a little more reserved at giving up points. They aren't necessarily pinning everyone but they dominate offensively and are rarely out of position to be scored on. Levi is also starting to turn it on the last two matches and GK has skills that he could major, tech, or pin everyone in the field.

I like our guys, new and old!
And Haines and Kerk… there are five hammers.

It's not hyperbole to say that this may be the best wrestling team PSU has ever put out on the mat. Nitpicking over lack of "excitement" factor is like complaining that your gift Lamborghini, while nice, sure, would be better in red.
I agree. I think the three freshmen are the big exciting story this year. I like to watch how they develop and get better each match. Crazy how good we are.

Davis loses to Ayala off a sweet slide by, followed by six minutes of typical Iowa…push, push, run, run, stall.
Next match Davis goes out and hits a sweet slide by! Love watching these youngins grown! Think they worked on that in practice that week?

maybe some of us don't really care if casual fans "ooh and aww" over the team.
Speaking of “casual fans?”

Here’s my take..if these “casual fans,” don’t have the time and effort to get up every morning like me, try to read thru all the forums posts here, Intermat, GIA and RU forums. Then circle back at lunch time to see if I missed anything. Then get back on the forums at night and laugh their asses off at some of the posts from the day…

To me..they not REAL fans! I only care about the “NUT” fan (myself included).

I hear people talk all the time about attracting “casual fans.” What about us? The nuts who can’t get enough?! I want another PSU forum to read thru, I want more media days, daily interviews with MM and Carter!

If wrestling wants to grow we need more NUTS!😀😀

Speaking of “casual fans?”

Here’s my take..if these “casual fans,” don’t have the time and effort to get up every morning like me, try to read thru all the forums posts here, Intermat, GIA and RU forums. Then circle back at lunch time to see if I missed anything. Then get back on the forums at night and laugh their asses off at some of the posts from the day…

To me..they not REAL fans! I only care about the “NUT” fan (myself included).

I hear people talk all the time about attracting “casual fans.” What about us? The nuts who can’t get enough?! I want another PSU forum to read thru, I want more media days, daily interviews with MM and Carter!

If wrestling wants to grow we need more NUTS!😀😀

Reactions: pish69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT