ADVERTISEMENT

I don't look forward to watching this team

Unicorns just aren't as thrilling when you have a pasture full of 'em, I suppose.

Not all of them will yield a gasp from a casual fan, but you can't tell me that didn't happen w/ Nick, Roman--or that it's not happening this year w/ Mitch, or when Kerk doubles a guy through the mat, or when Carter snagged Mikey's granby mid-air, and stuck him. Athletic feats are athletic feats, and we are very, very spoiled to have so many to remember and compare.

Will we see another guy who can threaten David, Ed, Zain, Bo, or Jason's pin count? Perhaps--the sport is always evolving. Typically these days, it evolves when our coaches will it, and then the pack inevitably reacts (often with creative new ways to stall).

I have a problem with the thread title, in terms of my own view. Apart from some live music, I look forward to watching PSU wrestling more than any other entertainment I seek in my life, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Unicorns just aren't as thrilling when you have a pasture full of 'em, I suppose.

Not all of them will yield a gasp from a casual fan, but you can't tell me that didn't happen w/ Nick, Roman--or that it's not happening this year w/ Mitch, or when Kerk doubles a guy through the mat, or when Carter snagged Mikey's granby mid-air, and stuck him. Athletic feats are athletic feats, and we are very, very spoiled to have so many to remember and compare.

Will we see another guy who can threaten David, Ed, Zain, Bo, or Jason's pin count? Perhaps--the sport is always evolving. Typically these days, it evolves when our coaches will it, and then the pack inevitably reacts (often with creative new ways to stall).

I have a problem with the thread title, in terms of my own view. Apart from some live music, I look forward to watching PSU wrestling more than any other entertainment I seek in my life, and that's not likely to change any time soon.
I genuinely enjoy watching our athletes succeed and don’t take any of our opponents lightly so.. it’s always must see tv for me.

Great metaphor!

A quick follow-up to my no-hitter comparison. Only 1 pitcher in professional baseball history has thrown a "perfect" no-hitter, striking out all 27 batters over 9 innings. And that was in the Class-D Appalachian League in 1952. The next closest is Max Scherzer with 17 strikeouts in 2015. All other pitchers to achieve no-hitter greatness had a combination of strikeouts, walks, and hits that were caught or thrown out at first base. Yet all get the same glory.

I prefer that each of my Nittany Lion wrestlers decimate their opponents every time they take the mat, but it will feel just as good watching the national championship banner get hoisted again this year despite some close calls and hiccups along the way.

Great metaphor!

A quick follow-up to my no-hitter comparison. Only 1 pitcher in professional baseball history has thrown a "perfect" no-hitter, striking out all 27 batters over 9 innings. And that was in the Class-D Appalachian League in 1952. The next closest is Max Scherzer with 17 strikeouts in 2015. All other pitchers to achieve no-hitter greatness had a combination of strikeouts, walks, and hits that were caught or thrown out at first base. Yet all get the same glory.

I prefer that each of my Nittany Lion wrestlers decimate their opponents every time they take the mat, but it will feel just as good watching the national championship banner get hoisted again this year despite some close calls and hiccups along the way.
That would be Ron Necciai. I happened to be seated at the same table as him at an 80th birthday party about 20 years ago. Very nice gentleman.

Only 1 pitcher in professional baseball history has thrown a "perfect" no-hitter, striking out all 27 batters over 9 innings. And that was in the Class-D Appalachian League in 1952.
Steve Nebraska did it in game 1 of the World Series

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Great metaphor!

You don't get to change the definition of a perfect game. Although all Perfect games are no-hitters, very few no-hitters are Perfect games.

Our guys have had several this year.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

I think we have that guy he's just out after knee surgery for the year

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
Apart from some live music, I look forward to watching PSU wrestling more than any other entertainment I seek in my life, and that's not likely to change any time soon.
Now you're talking. Saw the Doobie Brothers and the Eagles this year. Great shows. I've lately started adding comedy acts like Dave Chappelle to my repertoire. Love live acts. I can't get to State College because I live in South Carolina so wish PSU would come back to the Southern Scuffle. Let's hope Cael addresses my needs before he addresses ChickenmanTesta's need to lose consistently again at 125 lol.

Last edited:
If you had a time machine and were walking by and saw Leonardo painting the Mona Lisa, or Michelangelo carving the David, would you stop and watch?

Of course you would.

I enjoy every moment of Cael creating his masterpiece. In time, this all too brief era will be pass and there will only be those who can say "I was there, I was a fan, and I saw it".

Man, I hope he comes back. That’s tough - missing two years in three.

Feel bad for Robbie too. No shade to Davis who has been incredible. But injuries suck.

Thinking back to Berge too… just as we were watching him put it all together.
And the way he wrestles with that I'm coming for you mentality is what is fun to watch. I'm thinking he will come back better than ever he has that mindset

Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal were walking highlight reels and offensive juggernauts. They were dangerous in all positions. I think the level of talent has gone up especially with scrambling/funk ability across all of wrestling. True freshman are coming in ready to compete due to higher level clubs and coaching. We always seem to have two or 3 hammers that are offensive juggernauts in the lineup. RBY and Nick Lee were right there too. Right now I think that is MM, CS, and AB are our juggernauts. These guys are just a little more reserved at giving up points. They aren't necessarily pinning everyone but they dominate offensively and are rarely out of position to be scored on. Levi is also starting to turn it on the last two matches and GK has skills that he could major, tech, or pin everyone in the field.

I like our guys, new and old!
Call it timing, call it style but though Nolf and Nickal were more entertaining Carter and Aaron are more adapt for world level success right out of the gate. I think that’s the focus of a lot of the younger generation, plus early access to great coaching. We can debate entertainment value all day, but top to bottom these guys are ready to win medals earlier than ever before.

Reactions: BoHunter0210
Now you're talking. Saw the Doobie Brothers and the Eagles this year. Great shows. I've lately started adding comedy acts like Dave Chappelle to my repertoire. Love live acts. I can't get to State College because I live in South Carolina so wish PSU would come back to the Southern Scuffle. Let's hope Cael addresses my needs before he addresses ChickenmanTesta's need to lose consistently again at 125 lol.

Where in SC? I live in upstate (Seneca) seasonally during winter/spring. Would be nice to find a place to have a beer and watch a dual (or even the tournaments) with other like-minded guys. I'm Penn State 1988 on the 5-year program by the way.

If you had a time machine and were walking by and saw Leonardo painting the Mona Lisa, or Michelangelo carving the David, would you stop and watch?

Of course you would.

I enjoy every moment of Cael creating his masterpiece. In time, this all too brief era will be pass and there will only be those who can say "I was there, I was a fan, and I saw it".

I think I read that it took Da Vinci 15 years or something like that to paint the Mona Lisa (he kept going back and re-doing it because he didn't like it). I'd rather watch PSU wrestlers achieve greatness for 7 minutes.

Where in SC? I live in upstate (Seneca) seasonally during winter/spring. Would be nice to find a place to have a beer and watch a dual (or even the tournaments) with other like-minded guys. I'm Penn State 1988 on the 5-year program by the way.
Another reason not to let the wife read the forums..
She's in the fingerlakes several times a year...
Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

Another reason not to let the wife read the forums..
She's in the fingerlakes several times a year...
Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

I'm referring to Seneca, SC, not Seneca Lake, although I'm very familiar with that area too.

Category: "I don't look forward to watching this team"

Contestant: "Alex, what are things Tim Johnson, Christian Pyles, Mark Manning, Tom Brands, Tom Ryan, Scott Goodale, Sean Bormet, Roger Chandler, Alex Clemsen, Angel Escobedo, Chris Pendleton, Dennis Papadatos, Brett Reed, and Matt Hill have said about Penn State's 2023-24 wrestling team?"

Alex Trebek GIF by Jeopardy!

I lived in Greer but moved in 2022 to Hilton Head. You in the Cliffs properties by chance?

Sure we have 2 likely 4xers and 5 ranked #1 but I seemed to get more excited about watching the guys from Cael's earlier teams much more.

There is nobody doing crazy and outlandish things like in days past.

There seems to be no "must see TV"

Don't get me wrong, I still watch the crap out of PSU wrestling but the highlight reel is not as much fun to share as it was in the past

You WILL see the full lineup at the B1G Tournament, and the NCAA Tournament. Your oh so high expectations will be fulfilled. You can then strut and preen like a rooster, afterward.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Now you're talking. Saw the Doobie Brothers and the Eagles this year. Great shows. I
Taking me back (from my thumbnail recollections of concerts):

"Doobie Brothers/Eagles, State Farm Show Arena, Harrisburg, PA, Aug. 26, 1974 - Just before heading back for school/football, saw this show. The Eagles were not yet a "big" band, as you can tell by their opening slot. They blew the Doobie Brothers off the stage. Classic case of hungry young band firing on all cylinders. I like the Doobie's performance but the Eagles did most of the impressing."

This was the original 4 plus Don Felder version of the band, as featured on the album "On the Border". My favorite lineup for its versatility.

Taking me back (from my thumbnail recollections of concerts):

"Doobie Brothers/Eagles, State Farm Show Arena, Harrisburg, PA, Aug. 26, 1974 - Just before heading back for school/football, saw this show. The Eagles were not yet a "big" band, as you can tell by their opening slot. They blew the Doobie Brothers off the stage. Classic case of hungry young band firing on all cylinders. I like the Doobie's performance but the Eagles did most of the impressing."

This was the original 4 plus Don Felder version of the band, as featured on the album "On the Border". My favorite lineup for its versatility.
This was @matter7172 at the Doobie Brothers concert that day:

Hey Hey Hey

I'm referring to Seneca, SC, not Seneca Lake, although I'm very familiar with that area too.
Evidenced by “Seneca”. Literally no one references a location in the Finger Lakes as Seneca. :) I knew where you meant.

We have a couple of litmus tests for detecting aliens. Anyone who puts Lake in front of the lake’s name.

And the attempts at pronuncing Keuka and Cayuga. One is QKA. The other is QGA. Better yet, only natives can hear the difference when spoken since we do it quickly. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: billrag
Evidenced by “Seneca”. Literally no one references a location in the Finger Lakes as Seneca. :) I knew where you meant.

We have a couple of litmus tests for detecting aliens. Anyone who puts Lake in front of the lake’s name.

And the attempts at pronuncing Keuka and Cayuga. One is QKA. The other is QGA. Better yet, only natives can hear the difference when spoken since we do it quickly. lol.
I keep getting emails to buy Keuka wine, since we stopped at that vineyard maybe 10-15 years ago. I bought a case of their wine and some of their glasses, now they won't leave me alone. Still can't pronounce the name, nor give a darn.

I saw the Eagles several times over the years. I had a buddy whose company had a suite at the Spectrum. We saw lots of concerts from the best seats. They shared their suite with the Philly Flyers. We were in their with several Flyers at an Eagles concert when a guard walked in. I immediately passed my jay to the guy next to me and all was good (remember what that was like?). The guard didn't care.
One time the Eagles came to town and we didn't get the suite. We decided to go at the very last minute and ended up with our backs to the Spectrum wall about 5 stories in the air. They did a version of "James Dean" that night that I still remember.

In the 90's, the Hell Freezes Over Tour came along and I bought tickets for my wife and teenage son. Came concert night and my kid started whining. He wanted to stay home with his friends rather than see the Eagles. $130 down the drain. I liked the concert. Did the acoustic version of Hotel California.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
"We" have 5 guys ranked #1 and kick the crap out of every team we go up against but it's not good enough for me. These dominate wins are sexy enough. I need more scoring and more dominance. This is ridiculous I have to watch matches that we don't get bonus points in. Cael has been here so long now that all of his wrestlers should be getting back points and pins everytime out. Something needs to change!

It's like the spoiled rich kid that cries when they don't like one of his or her dozens of gifts at Christmas/Birthday's.

Even when things are going smoothly with no real issues some people will still find something to complain about. Never Fails

I think this year is about as interesting as it gets.

• 125. How good is Braeden? Every week is a new measuring stick.

• 141. I was 100% into what would happen in the 7 days of Mendez and Woods. And now it’s can Beau really do it???

• 149. The Evans vs Kasak storyline and now, like 125, it’s how good is he with a new measuring stick every match.

• 165. Nuff said.

• 174 and 197: two 4xers in same season?

• 285: finally Kerk’s year. Dominating everyone

Sprinkle in:
  • How much over Iowa?
  • 170.5 or higher?
  • Barraclough
  • Evans
  • Cochran
  • Oly Trials (who on the team is going to qualify)
And I’m as into it as ever.
Also how does 57 play out? That may be the biggest what if for me. Levi and Meyer could be squaring up for the first match in a long rivalry. I think Levi is a bad matchup with his strength, pace and fundamentals

Reactions: mcpat
This thread should be figuratively thrown in the stocks and have the citizenry throw tomatoes at it.

Or be forced to wear a scarlet letter “D” for dumb
Not to shame Lorenzo fan, but if he was put in a room and had to watch 4 seasons of Will Lewan matches, I'd bet he'd jump through the Rec Hall ceiling tomorrow when Davis gets the 1st takedown of the match!

Reactions: Creek Side
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT