ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Down-to-Down Differences in Tom Allen's Defense vs. Diaz's Defense

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
TOM ALLEN DEFENSE FILM STUDY

See Link. Video is broken down into defensive tendencies in traditional passing down situations and early down/on schedule situations. Interesting that both guys believe in the same thing -- being proactive to generate turnovers and negative plays for the offense -- but go about it in completely different ways. Where Diaz wants to stress O-Line and QBs at the line of scrimmage, leaving secondaries vulnerable...Allen likes to be realtively simplistic upfront but make things cloudy and deceptive at the second and third levels of the defense for QBs and OCs.

I think with Allen, situations like the late 4th quarter 3rd and 10 conversion to MHJ in OSU 2022 don't happen...nor does the 2023 Michigan 3rd and Long runs vs. Prowler. But, in Allen's system moments like Johnny Dixon's half-ending, red zone sack of Stroud in OSU 2022 don't happen, either. So, it seems Codutti is not saying one philosophy is right and one is wrong. They're just different. Not quite sure which system - Diaz's or Allen's - best fits our projected 2024 personnel.

How come it's not Franklin's defense? I'm a firm believer that the head coach should be setting the style he wants played, especially since he is recruiting for it.

Reactions: PSUPride1
It kind of is. We've run a 4-3 under Franklin entirely. Diaz and Allen have used a lot of base 4-2-5 and Diaz never had a true 4-2-5 here; just packages.

I agree, I just he should get credit for it. My biggest complaints about the defense are not scheme, but tackling technique, which I also think he should be held accountable for. Hopefully the changes in technique this past year continues.

I think our tackling has been fine. The first game is always an issue because there is very little contact in summer practice anymore so teams always tackle poorly there. Same could be said for going into the bowl game.

It kind of is. We've run a 4-3 under Franklin entirely. Diaz and Allen have used a lot of base 4-2-5 and Diaz never had a true 4-2-5 here; just packages.
i wouldn't be surprised to see tony rojas play some kind of rover back meaning a LB/S position. He is small and fast enough to cover a TE or RB in the short zone areas. He is also big enough to cover the run game. We see this more and more in the pro game. I am thinking of the Browns JOK (Jeremiah Awusu-Koramoah) or Jamal Adams for the seahawks.

I think our tackling has been fine. The first game is always an issue because there is very little contact in summer practice anymore so teams always tackle poorly there. Same could be said for going into the bowl game.
I read that Corum from Michigan indicated his team does a lot of live tackling and that helped with their toughness.
In Joe's early days practices were extremely physical and it showed on the field.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I think many teams have moved away from live tackling in the summer. No idea what UM does. West Virginia tacking was awful in the season opener too. The previous year, we tackled poorly versus Purdue.

It's a risk/reward thing. If we go to more live tackling and someone like Carter blows out a knee, this board would be all over Franklin.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Until proven otherwise, the one with less CBs in straight man on islands will probably help our group. Following up the dudes we've had for 2-3 years was going to be tough regardless.
I like Diaz's scheme better to control the LOS, but it only works if you have damn good DB play and elite corners are hard to find. We've an excellent secondary during Diaz's tenure (take a bow Terry Smith, he's done great) and rarely had busted coverages leading to big plays, which has been the knock on Diaz's defenses. Based on what we saw in the Peach Bowl, we aren't going to have that going forward unless the transfers pan out, so I agree that Allen's style will probably help at least in the short term.

TOM ALLEN DEFENSE FILM STUDY

See Link. Video is broken down into defensive tendencies in traditional passing down situations and early down/on schedule situations. Interesting that both guys believe in the same thing -- being proactive to generate turnovers and negative plays for the offense -- but go about it in completely different ways. Where Diaz wants to stress O-Line and QBs at the line of scrimmage, leaving secondaries vulnerable...Allen likes to be realtively simplistic upfront but make things cloudy and deceptive at the second and third levels of the defense for QBs and OCs.

I think with Allen, situations like the late 4th quarter 3rd and 10 conversion to MHJ in OSU 2022 don't happen...nor does the 2023 Michigan 3rd and Long runs vs. Prowler. But, in Allen's system moments like Johnny Dixon's half-ending, red zone sack of Stroud in OSU 2022 don't happen, either. So, it seems Codutti is not saying one philosophy is right and one is wrong. They're just different. Not quite sure which system - Diaz's or Allen's - best fits our projected 2024 personnel.
Will be interesting to see differences. Good that he had been in the conference and knows most of our opponents. The additional teams could cause concern.

I read that Corum from Michigan indicated his team does a lot of live tackling and that helped with their toughness.
In Joe's early days practices were extremely physical and it showed on the field.
Did they not practice the year they lost to Toledo? Why was joes career average only 9-3 per season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT