ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Appreciation Thread

A better understanding. The people that head to HR don't represent psu well at all. Trying to see if they are the outliers or if it is just typical of the fan base. Any insights on what has been said on HR to earn the ban hammer by posters?
No idea. There are some folks that go there and push the limit for sure. Here's the difference. You don't see blatant accusations leveled at other programs almost daily on this board. It's actually frowned upon. Look at the support for Tom in that thread. Yeah, a few don't like Tom Ryan, but most have been pretty supportive. From PED's to slush funds, the posts are endless over there. Yes there have been some posters that rubbed in the Nat Championship, but it was only a couple. Now there's posts over there accusing tOSU of cheating. It's a bad and petty look. Someone came at me over there for zero reason talking bs. I've actually commended your mods as I believe they do a pretty good job. They don't ban unless you go over the top. Newsflash, we rarely ban anyone here. You have to be incredibly stupid to get banned on this board. I mean you can't call someone fking idiots on this board and expect to stay.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how low people can go with false accusations in this day and age. Most of the things said would get people's ass kicked face to face. Unfortunately that's where we are, cowards behind keyboards. And that goes for anyone slandering people they don't know, and have zero proof of. How we got to this level is beyond me. The funny part is, the wrestlers have great respect for each other, unlike fan bases.

That isn't a joke! I already knew in the thread about getting engaged but I am indeed going to be a father! It was early in the pregnancy so we didn't make it public. Now we are past the higher risk stage so it's ok to mention. Especially with a bunch of strangers on the internet

I bought a new handgun and working on a new truck(forsure need a Quad cab now:cool:) before the baby comes around September. Lord knows I won't be able to afterwards:D
I have a white 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with every feature likely imaginable and very few miles that I will be acquiring from an inheritance soon that my wife and I will be selling.

We're going to look more into the value, but preliminarily it sounds like it would go for about $35k. Let me know if you have any interest. As you know, I live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area.

Reactions: WildTurk
The funny part is, the wrestlers have great respect for each other, unlike fan bases.

I'll wear my Roar hat for a sec, and say that I suspect that statistically speaking the fans have pretty good respect for each other too. That's the feeling I get whenever I encounter fans of other teams in person.

Remember, a small percentage of fans ever come to these boards. A smaller percentage of them ever post. A smaller percentage still of them post disrespectfully.

Eventually, (I'm hoping after Cael or Casey's kids retire from coaching), PSU will "come back to earth" and the gnarly grubs will probably come out of the earth here too, just like so many are noticing/commenting at HR. I for one avoid that place, but only because I already waste WAY too much time here and over at BSD....

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
WildTurk, I have the Wheaties Box, I have the Des Moines Register tribute from back when Cael won. I saw Cael win three of his championships. Maybe I should be on the ISU forum. Some Cael fans are newer than others. I and most fans like good wrestling, good coaching and especially effort beyond expectations. Kyle Conel had the largest applause on the platform in Cleveland.

Your Hawks also performed better than expected. I thought they would be 6th. Many predicted them 5th or 6th after 4th at the Big 10s. Congratulations to Tom and team. As to the team, Kemerer and Sorenson are my favorite Hawks.

Best of luck with baby. If you need a PSU youth singlet in a couple months, write back.

So you guys can handle Jammen, one poster that comes over here to eye poke, bravo.

just following the Penn State way:
5872d1617823b.image.jpg

I bought a new handgun and working on a new truck(forsure need a Quad cab now:cool:) before the baby comes around September. Lord knows I won't be able to afterwards:D

I want to know what the new handgun is!

And congratulations on the baby news!

To fend off the bill collectors?

No, in case the baby is a girl and somehow decides she wants to date before she is 30!

I am so happy I had boys, still concerning but a little less so.....

And great gun, love my 1911, shoot my 9 more often just because it is cheaper each time you pull that trigger.

Reactions: WildTurk
No idea. There are some folks that go there and push the limit for sure. Here's the difference. You don't see blatant accusations leveled at other programs almost daily on this board. It's actually frowned upon. Look at the support for Tom in that thread. Yeah, a few don't like Tom Ryan, but most have been pretty supportive. From PED's to slush funds, the posts are endless over there. Yes there have been some posters that rubbed in the Nat Championship, but it was only a couple. Now there's posts over there accusing tOSU of cheating. It's a bad and petty look. Someone came at me over there for zero reason talking bs. I've actually commended your mods as I believe they do a pretty good job. They don't ban unless you go over the top. Newsflash, we rarely ban anyone here. You have to be incredibly stupid to get banned on this board. I mean you can't call someone fking idiots on this board and expect to stay.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how low people can go with false accusations in this day and age. Most of the things said would get people's ass kicked face to face. Unfortunately that's where we are, cowards behind keyboards. And that goes for anyone slandering people they don't know, and have zero proof of. How we got to this level is beyond me. The funny part is, the wrestlers have great respect for each other, unlike fan bases.

As others have said it is fairly easy to stay above the fray when the team you support is dominant. The slings and arrows should be easy to side step since they are shot so far uphill. Lum doesn't go to set the record straight nor do the posters who jump over after a duel, B1G's and nationals. They are there to 'eye poke' pretend to be above reproach and that their feces is not odiferous. FYI I didn't compare lum and 21 if they are one and the same, my bad on the obscure beetlejuice reference. As far as the thread titles and shots at people they are here as well, not as prevelent but as has been cited, when your team is at the top who do you 'eye poke'?

As others have said it is fairly easy to stay above the fray when the team you support is dominant. The slings and arrows should be easy to side step since they are shot so far uphill. Lum doesn't go to set the record straight nor do the posters who jump over after a duel, B1G's and nationals. They are there to 'eye poke' pretend to be above reproach and that their feces is not odiferous. FYI I didn't compare lum and 21 if they are one and the same, my bad on the obscure beetlejuice reference. As far as the thread titles and shots at people they are here as well, not as prevelent but as has been cited, when your team is at the top who do you 'eye poke'?
sometimes being more direct with less words helps you case. your not talking to congress.

What is your purpose for coming over here? Are we to feel sorry for you that some of our fans are rubbing it in? Are we to discipline our members who venture over there?

Most of us don't even visit HR, let alone post over there. Seems to me it's HR's job to police their own board. We have our own set of trolls over here to deal with. Unless they go over the top we generally engage their neurosis with reasoned discussion.

Witness this thread. It started out as a Iowa appreciation thread then turned into defending our board members to a disgruntled Iowa fan ... in spite of you hijacking the thread, you're still here.

Last edited:
cidhawkeye you’ve made some valid points, and it appears your motives are pure. But I agree with jack66 that your efforts would be better served policing your board and serving as a hall monitor there. Leading by example goes a long way. As the old poem goes, I’d rather see a sermon than hear one (http://www.kubik.org/lighter/example.htm)

I apologize to my PSU brethren for wasting space here on my beef with Hawkeye fans. I realize it’s not fair to you guys and I’ll do my best not to do that in the future.

Personally I appreciated your “I’m out!” comments. We all knew you weren’t!

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
Hey, guys. Hope you don't mind if a Hawk fan sneaks in. Since I got several likes from PSU fans over on HR, thought I would try out some conversation with y'all. (Don't worry. I don't just call out, I shame those relatively few Hawk fans who are fixated on the Sandusky story and go all "Ped State" on Lions fans. That shit is sick. Nor do I call your coach "Carl" or "Bael." Poor sports never give up an opportunity to name-call).

But, first things first. Congratulations! Your studs got it done...again. I am getting so stinking jealous of your success. Born and raised in Iowa, I don't have much to get behind (Cyclones? What school is that?). And, of course, there are no pro sports teams in our low-populated state. (But, hey, we have the blackest, richest topsoil in the world that helps put the finest steaks on your dinner table!)

I was drawn by this thread, started by Lionlover. He wrote a really nice piece over on HR, but I actually want to argue against his case, a bit. I actually don't think Sorensen was the tipping point for PSU. Sure, he beat Hayes in the wrestlebacks, but I think Hayes was over-rated. And he would have had to beat #7 Deakin, then #8 Lewallen, then a very scrappy #11 Kolodzik, and then #3 Leeth to make 3rd place. I don't think Hayes had the skill set to plow through that field. So, even if Sorensen was not his draw on the back side, I think Hayes only scores a couple more points, and not enough to change the final standings. I was just aching for Sorensen to have one more go at Zain, since he was about the only competitor to give the "Train" any challenge past two years.

That said, I think you guys won another crown simply because your top 5 got it done, just as last year (minus Hall, of course). Four champs and lots of bonus pts. will almost always put a team in contention, let alone give you a chance of winning it all.

But, I do add here that it's interesting that the top spot is more hotly contested, these days. We Iowans love the glory days of the 80s and 90s, when several tournaments were decided by Friday night, the Hawks scoring anywhere from 150-170 points, with a 50-point gap between 1st and 2nd. I think those days are mostly gone. Yeah, everyone wants to dominate. But let's all agree that tight races are fun, and actually help bring out the fans. That's all good for the sport.

Congrats, once again, to PSU. And long live college wrestling.
Great post. Not sure how I missed it earlier. I respect that you support your team and can appreciate other programs and their athletes. It’s a shame that it’s not Hawk fans like you that I think of first when anyone mentions the Iowa Hawkeyes. Maybe I wouldn’t have such a sour taste in my mouth for your fan base.

Reactions: lionlover
I apologize to my PSU brethren for wasting space here on my beef with Hawkeye fans. I realize it’s not fair to you guys and I’ll do my best not to do that in the future.
I have a friend on here whose posting name is johnstownsteel. He and I love your routine. Ain't no worries man.
Carry that truth with you and move forth proudly through the darkened world of bumble bee yellow and black hawkeyes.

I have a white 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with every feature likely imaginable and very few miles that I will be acquiring from an inheritance soon that my wife and I will be selling.

We're going to look more into the value, but preliminarily it sounds like it would go for about $35k. Let me know if you have any interest. As you know, I live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area.

Nothing like a mutually beneficial transaction to bridge acrimonious fan rivalry!:)

cidhawkeye you’ve made some valid points, and it appears your motives are pure. But I agree with jack66 that your efforts would be better served policing your board and serving as a hall monitor there. Leading by example goes a long way. As the old poem goes, I’d rather see a sermon than hear one (http://www.kubik.org/lighter/example.htm)

Thank you for the lectures from the members of this board. I will see what I can do to live up to your lofty expectations.

And a whole boatload of hypocrisy since every post he has made has been to lecture us. :rolleyes:

I don't believe nor did I intend to lecture. I came trying to get a better understanding, see if the posters that go to HR are an accurate representation(they aren't). I have learned a great deal, I have checked HR when this board claimed it was littered with anti psu threads and the first page had none. I will enjoy the World Cup, it should be a great event and I hope the fans show up to support the US, for events like this it is one team.

You can start by going back to your board and read the always repetitive and totally ridiculous Vodka's latest post. Again with the stalling on top.
You mean the one where he uses the most dominant wrestler as an example of a wrestler who routinely stalls from the top position without being called for it.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Like termites from rotting woodwork, the worst posters on HR come in droves on the evening of the NCAA finals, with intense hate and bitterness toward PSU. Numerous references of "Ped State", PSU wrestlers on steroids and HGH, PSU wrestlers classless punks, typical hate on Sanderson, PSU wrestlers stalling, refs helping PSU, etc, etc.

HR turns into pretty much a cesspool on NCAA finals night, with usually a few threads that are absolutely shameful. Best just to stay away and don't waste the hour. Plus, you won't feel as dirty.

Not only is HR a cesspool of delusion, most posters there don't know jack shit about wrestling. They have convinced themselves that because Iowa used to be dominant that they know wrestling. I'm sure there are plenty of Iowa fans who do, but they don't frequent HR.

Reactions: nitlion6
Not only is HR a cesspool of delusion, most posters there don't know jack shit about wrestling. They have convinced themselves that because Iowa used to be dominant that they know wrestling. I'm sure there are plenty of Iowa fans who do, but they don't frequent HR.

Careful, you are starting to type the same things you profess to loathe. That and you aren't being very accurate. Keep posting what you think you read, you know the stuff that fits your narrative. Vodka at least attempts to support his position, Lum? Well he's all yours and you can have him. If I follow your methods this when i should break out the 'that's right Iowa fans don't know about wrestling other than it was invented longer than 10 years ago' schtick. If you are going to bash the cesspool at least do so accurately. It doesn't befit a far superior, above reproach group such as this.

Careful, you are starting to type the same things you profess to loathe. That and you aren't being very accurate. Keep posting what you think you read, you know the stuff that fits your narrative. Vodka at least attempts to support his position, Lum? Well he's all yours and you can have him. If I follow your methods this when i should break out the 'that's right Iowa fans don't know about wrestling other than it was invented longer than 10 years ago' schtick. If you are going to bash the cesspool at least do so accurately. It doesn't befit a far superior, above reproach group such as this.
Do you have anything to contribute other than Civility Police?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT