ADVERTISEMENT

InterMat 2018 Recruiting Class Rankings

One thing that's interesting is to look back at who they beat at states, and if they dominated.

Offhand (I can't look up details on travel):
- I think Gulibon's toughest opponent was Randy Cruz (6-5 win), who was pretty good in college. IIRC not much college talent otherwise. He won most matches comfortably.
- Marsteller dominated Hershey, though his toughest opponents (Brill and Peppelman) didn't stand the test of time; for that matter, neither did his biggest regular season win (Wiercioch).
- Haines beat Boykin and Wood (2 good college wrestlers). Otherwise he dominated for 4 yrs albeit lower scores vs. the shaved bears as a SR (though he pinned the #2 PA heavy at states, who was a decent proapect but chose college football).

Of Teasdsle's opponents, Lane and Myers and maybe Clabaugh are the best college prospects. Dominant except for 2 matches, the FR OT win over Lane (which he controlled except for a headlock) and his last match. He teched Myers and majored Clabaugh.

I think that's a good barometer. While I did think Jimmy would be an NCAA champ his finals matches at states got closer as the years went on. You could see by the time he was a senior that some kids had closed the gap as he made his way up in weight, but that's expected.

I'm surprised that Garrett Peppelman is not making more noise in college, though. I thought he was a fantastic prospect. I was also surprised Marshal didn't do better as well. Although I think Virginia pulls in very good prospects from PA but they don't seem to be able to develop them for the collegiate level. They've pulled some blue chips recruits over the past few years that are never heard from again.

You have one sad user photo, Jammenz! (Shown below.) You may need to find some positive interests. :)

9760.jpg

You mean the former wannabe "Face of Minnesota Wrestling"?
jammies, really hope you're here when sota becomes relevant again. i'm hearing they are now making national championship tees with a permanent 20 followed by a velcro patch. you can get a tee and a velcro patch for each of the next 81 years for one low price. apply the correct one when and if it ever happens again. saves a lot of $$$:D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT