ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana

I think the point being, it's common for freshman to struggle on bottom. Despite winning 15-0 it was clear that was a challenge area for him this match. The main point is we all saw he needs work there and it will matter quite a bit against top 5-10 guys. No doubt this will be a focus area for him moving forward, and that match exposing a weakness, despite the skewed outcome, is nothing but a blessing.
I was a bit surprised by the ref not calling stalling.. If he would have called stalling on top in say 15-20seconds of that ride out it would not have played out the same way..

It makes me nervous that it DOESN'T make Beau nervous to go to OT. He said in his recent interview that he always feels very confident going to OT. May have even said he enjoys it.

Good on him I guess, but not great news for fans like me who don't like the stress of a close match. 😬
to bad BB doesn't go like MM but then who does?

It still didn’t matter. If he just rode out the period, Kasak already had riding time locked even with getting ridden a whole period, so the tech happens if he rides out the period or if Kasak gets out or reverses Rooks. The only way to avoid the tech was for Rooks to actually score on top.

Yeah, but he didn't look like he was trying to score from top. There were several times where Rooks just hung-on for well over 5 seconds after Kasak stood... then Rooks would eventually push Kasak out. Didn't look like he was trying to score, more like he was just hanging on so he could claim he road him for the period. Beyond obvious top-stalling... Ref waited until like the 3rd time he pushed both himself and Kasik off mat to maintain control (after not returning Kasik to mat after he stood) before he even called a warning.

Yeah, but he didn't look like he was trying to score from top. There were several times where Rooks just hung-on for well over 5 seconds after Kasak stood... then Rooks would eventually push Kasak out. Didn't look like he was trying to score, more like he was just hanging on so he could claim he road him for the period. Beyond obvious top-stalling... Ref waited until like the 3rd time he pushed both himself and Kasik off mat to maintain control (after not returning Kasik to mat after he stood) before he even called a warning.
Rooks was between a rock and a hard place. If he rode out Kasak, he'd lose by a TF. If Kasak escaped, he'd lose by a TF. That said, he didn't really try to turn Kasak, which was his only way out of a TF.

Rooks was between a rock and a hard place. If he rode out Kasak, he'd lose by a TF. If Kasak escaped, he'd lose by a TF. That said, he didn't really try to turn Kasak, which was his only way out of a TF.
He couldn’t stop Kasak from getting to his feet. But it’s not like he could cut him when he did get to his feet.

He couldn’t stop Kasak from getting to his feet. But it’s not like he could cut him when he did get to his feet.
Tyler needs to get better off bottom: It rose up and bit Levi, and if it's not improved by March, then don't be surprised to see Cael and Casey order neutral 2nd periods in March.

Reactions: mcpat
Tyler needs to get better off bottom: It rose up and bit Levi, and if it's not improved by March, then don't be surprised to see Cael and Casey order neutral 2nd periods in March.
Levi fell victim to a ref that allowed that trap ride for far too long.

No doubt, but what he was doing (i.e., pushing Kasak and himself off the mat to get a re-start and maintain control) rather than staying in-bounds and attempting a mat return, is listed as a specific Stalling Call in NCAA Rulebook. Did it several times before the Ref made his first call. Beyond obvious stall - just bad officiating.

Reactions: Roar More
No doubt, but what he was doing (i.e., pushing Kasak and himself off the mat to get a re-start and maintain control) rather than staying in-bounds and attempting a mat return, is listed as a specific Stalling Call in NCAA Rulebook. Did it several times before the Ref made his first call. Beyond obvious stall - just bad officiating.
💯

Missing one
giphy.gif

Reactions: danoftw
I think the point being, it's common for freshman to struggle on bottom. Despite winning 15-0 it was clear that was a challenge area for him this match. The main point is we all saw he needs work there and it will matter quite a bit against top 5-10 guys. No doubt this will be a focus area for him moving forward, and that match exposing a weakness, despite the skewed outcome, is nothing but a blessing.
This is just my perspective, but I thought he was trying to get a reversal to the back for a pin. There were a couple of other times in other matches where guys could have had easy takedowns but kind of passed on them. I wasn't really worried that Kasak was "stuck" on bottom.

Reactions: hlstone
This is just my perspective, but I thought he was trying to get a reversal to the back for a pin. There were a couple of other times in other matches where guys could have had easy takedowns but kind of passed on them. I wasn't really worried that Kasak was "stuck" on bottom.
I think it was Haines who was the funniest one where he was practically behind the guy multiple times and then went back out for a front headlock because he needed a pinning combination off the takedown. Eventually, he was just like, forget it, this is over and took the takedown that he could have had about 5 times over in the prior minute.

Reactions: hlstone
I think it was Haines who was the funniest one where he was practically behind the guy multiple times and then went back out for a front headlock because he needed a pinning combination off the takedown. Eventually, he was just like, forget it, this is over and took the takedown that he could have had about 5 times over in the prior minute.
I was laughing to myself in that situation, because the ref should have given Levi reaction time to get out of that TD that ended it.

I was laughing to myself in that situation, because the ref should have given Levi reaction time to get out of that TD that ended it.

Yeah, he didn't show control long enough and it didn't appear to be a takedown. But that was like the 4th or 5th time Levi was toying with him and voluntarily abandoned the TD attempt looking for a pinning combination (think he was trying to get a cradle anticipating he would turn back into him trying to defend takedown) - in any event, the Ref appeared to make a "that's enough" call.

Reactions: nerfstate
Yeah, he didn't show control long enough and it didn't appear to be a takedown. But that was like the 4th or 5th time Levi was toying with him and voluntarily abandoned the TD attempt looking for a pinning combination (think he was trying to get a cradle anticipating he would turn back into him trying to defend takedown) - in any event, the Ref appeared to make a "that's enough" call.
Yeah, I mean 47-0 would have been a little nicer, but I'm OK w/ the ref's decision in the big picture. Just thought it was hilarious to apply reaction time to that peculiar situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT