ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana

This was your opportunity for a gif.

381.gif
2nd most entertaining thing on the show, after Cookie.

I made the poor decision of reading the GIA pbp thread from their Nebraska dual. 10 pages in and it's almost all just complaining about the refs with a page or two of Teske bashing. I'd rather read a Penn State football game thread.
Yeah, that thread is brutal. They can’t sit back and appreciate the win if a stalling crime went unpunished.

Yeah, that thread is brutal. They can’t sit back and appreciate the win if a stalling crime went unpunished.
That was the best part of Lehigh beating Cornell Saturday. The Cornell fan section was the worst fans lobbying for stalling I've ever experienced. It would have been sweeter if the match would have been decided by a warranted stalling call against a Cornell wrestler.

I’m thinking the GIA gang is undoubtedly hoping for a rule change that makes stalling 3points so they can regain their rightful place on top of the colleges Wrestling world and pass those stalling PSU wrestlers.

Rooks took Door #3 -- stall but make it look (somewhat) good and hope the ref doesn't call it.
It still didn’t matter. If he just rode out the period, Kasak already had riding time locked even with getting ridden a whole period, so the tech happens if he rides out the period or if Kasak gets out or reverses Rooks. The only way to avoid the tech was for Rooks to actually score on top.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed the repeating loop background music at the dual today? Made me really appreciate the kid led 'We Are' chants so much more.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
It still didn’t matter. If he just rode out the period, Kasak already had riding time locked even with getting ridden a whole period, so the tech happens if he rides out the period or if Kasak gets out or reverses Rooks. The only way to avoid the tech was for Rooks to actually score on top.
It didn't matter to the result, but there was personal pride involved for Kasak demonstrated by how he celebrated getting the escape, plus it was a chance for a freshman to learn about getting off bottom against an experienced opponent. It didn't matter, but it wasn't insignificant.

It didn't matter to the result, but there was personal pride involved for Kasak demonstrated by how he celebrated getting the escape, plus it was a chance for a freshman to learn about getting off bottom against an experienced opponent. It didn't matter, but it wasn't insignificant.
I definitely agree. It was a great chance for Kasak to work on getting out from bottom. He definitely wasn’t just trying to run out the clock. It looks like something he needs to work on (obviously not uncommon for freshmen).

If he got even one hand on a leg he typically scored. I don't know that I have seen another wrestler as adept at pulling in a leg from what seemed to be a disadvantageous position. His match against Lewnes in 2010 was a great example of this.

It has nothing to do with this thread really, but Ed Ruth had ungodly strength. If he laid a hand on you, he'd pull the leg in. I know that his hand strength has been discussed ad nauseum, but he must have been one of the strongest wrestlers, pound for pound, that's ever lived. It's nice seeing some of the young PSU wrestlers that don't really seem to be that well put together who are also showing real "man strength".

It has nothing to do with this thread really, but Ed Ruth had ungodly strength. If he laid a hand on you, he'd pull the leg in. I know that his hand strength has been discussed ad nauseum, but he must have been one of the strongest wrestlers, pound for pound, that's ever lived. It's nice seeing some of the young PSU wrestlers that don't really seem to be that well put together who are also showing real "ma strength".
Ed Ruth also had arms that never ended. He was able to hook up cradles from anywhere. He gives demo on line of his flying cradle. I showed it to my 6 year old nephew who loves to cradle his opponents.

Last edited:
No insignificant at all! He won one of the battles within the battle. Sure, he had the tech either way, but getting a tech while being ridden like a mule would leave a sour taste in his mouth. I loved that he kept working and finally got it at the end! Shows an offensive mindset to keep wrestling until the final whistle, even when the result is wrapped up. That will likely win him some close matches down the line!

A true freshman wrestling up a weight class and struggling to get out from bottom on a 6th year grad student, and a ranked blood round 3x NQ guy at that, is certainly not surprising. The good part was he was hardly being dominated; it was him constantly getting to his feet and being run OOB. The surprising part was that Rooks only got called for stalling once.

True but he is still ranked #14 by intermat. It’s a good result like you said especially for a true freshman with only a few matches under his belt
frankly, he shouldn't be. he's got a 2-1 win against Munson early in the year and that's it. The rest of his resume this year is non-qualifier level.

Beau just doesn't want to initiate offense. He loves to counter. He's not the typical Penn State wrestler.
It makes me nervous that it DOESN'T make Beau nervous to go to OT. He said in his recent interview that he always feels very confident going to OT. May have even said he enjoys it.

Good on him I guess, but not great news for fans like me who don't like the stress of a close match. 😬

It makes me nervous that it DOESN'T make Beau nervous to go to OT. He said in his recent interview that he always feels very confident going to OT. May have even said he enjoys it.

Good on him I guess, but not great news for fans like me who don't like the stress of a close match. 😬
Yeah a statement in contrasts. When you really think about it, all of these blue chippers are very close athletically and physically, what really separates them is between the ears.

No matter how confident Beau is in OT, you can live and die by the sword. It's not like he never gives up a point.

Then you have Nolf and Mitchell, they are just going to go after it. Sure both make mistakes and can get countered but they will inevitably escape, try again and most likely succeed.

Heck in one sense it's like the Eagles on 4th and one with the QB 'push' sneak. Everyone knows it's coming but statistically they win most of the time.

With the 3 point TD if we have kids that can convert 60% of the time they will win almost every match taking 10 shots, high percentage shots or not. You watch Mitch, do you think all of those shots he takes are perfect high percentage set ups? Hell no, he is just balls out.

Put Nolf's brain in Bartlett's body and you have a national champion... last year.

It's the one areas where Cael has continued opportunity. I don't know how you can get this switch to flip with kids but they're have been a number who never lived up to their 'full' potential due to IMO being too conservative. Gulliban, Beau, even admittedly a cut below like Verkleeren, all drive me nuts at times. Let it rip!!!

It's pretty hard to criticize Beau with what he has accomplished, but I do believe he could be outright dominant if he wrestled free and aggressive.

Tha

That last second take down of Matthews last year at Natty's was unbelievable. I almost had a heart attack during that match

Was out all day and just finished watching. How in the Hell was Fongaro not given a stall warning when the first shot he took in the entire match was with 40 seconds left?

Our Freshman are beyond impressive. Great to see Levi sans knee brace!

WE ARE!!!
Because the three point TD was added to create more action, so that refs wouldn't have to call stalling. So, we're left with the same level of action and refs still not calling stalling.

Beau is involved in a super secret plot to increase beer and liquor sales.

I definitely agree. It was a great chance for Kasak to work on getting out from bottom. He definitely wasn’t just trying to run out the clock. It looks like something he needs to work on (obviously not uncommon for freshmen).
so he gets rode out,big deal he still won easily!

so he gets rode out,big deal he still won easily!
I think the point being, it's common for freshman to struggle on bottom. Despite winning 15-0 it was clear that was a challenge area for him this match. The main point is we all saw he needs work there and it will matter quite a bit against top 5-10 guys. No doubt this will be a focus area for him moving forward, and that match exposing a weakness, despite the skewed outcome, is nothing but a blessing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT