ADVERTISEMENT

If Cortez moves up to 141 who will replace him at 33?

Over on "On The Mats" they mention a rumor about Vitali Arujau, who was thought to be going to Cornell, might be in play.

Strikes me as a non-issue. There's no indication of Cortez having difficulty making 133 this past year. And with his shoulder surgery, it'll be a while before he can do the types of lifts that would add weight.

I'm wondering if Lee moves down, if this means RBY could go to 141. Just a thought.

I
Strikes me as a non-issue. There's no indication of Cortez having difficulty making 133 this past year. And with his shoulder surgery, it'll be a while before he can do the types of lifts that would add weight.

I would tend to agree but he did change his social media names to include "141"...although maybe that's just wishful thinking on his part?

I would tend to agree but he did change his social media names to include "141"...although maybe that's just wishful thinking on his part?
Tan Tom's is buckeye158. I'm pretty sure he never did and never will wrestle for Ohio state at that weight.

But, hey, it might mean something ... in which case, someone could put on their HR Teasdale hat and panic-tweet at him to change it back.

Tan Tom's is buckeye158. I'm pretty sure he never did and never will wrestle for Ohio state at that weight.

But, hey, it might mean something ... in which case, someone could put on their HR Teasdale hat and panic-tweet at him to change it back.

I think it's a bit different when an active wrestler changes it to clearly reflect a new weight class. All of his stuff used to be 133 pretty recently. Tom Ryan example really doesn't hold any water.

No panic here. Just an observation. Interesting to consider the lineup permutations for next year.

I think it's a bit different when an active wrestler changes it to clearly reflect a new weight class. All of his stuff used to be 133 pretty recently. Tom Ryan example really doesn't hold any water.

No panic here. Just an observation. Interesting to consider the lineup permutations for next year.
I hear you about Ryan. That was the only example I knew offhand. I'm sure there are lots of others. (Cox 141.)

I hear you about Ryan. That was the only example I knew offhand. I'm sure there are lots of others. (Cox 141.)

I'm sure there are plenty of examples too. Off the top of my head, IMar was imar165 while wrestling at 157 for 2 years.

I wouldn't have made the original post about the Cortez social media name change if I knew people were going to flip out and take his weight change as gospel. Perhaps short sighted on my part. And this board would have figured it out very soon regardless so oh well.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
This explaining Arujau?
Someone needs to put this on themat
I'm hearing Suriano to 133.

This solves the issue at 133, but creates a new question mark at 125. Also creates another question at 141. Domino effect, not sure I like it at the moment, overall.

I guess we'll find out what would have happened at 125, had Suriano been injured earlier in the season...

To me, the problem here isn't his move to 141, it's the problem created by Suriano going up to 133.

Over on "On The Mats" they mention a rumor about Vitali Arujau, who was thought to be going to Cornell, might be in play.

That kid is a major talent with a great motor. He's pretty close to Suriano in ability. He pretty much wrecked Brian Courtney in the third period at the All-Star challenge between NY and PA after last season. But I can't see him making 125 on a regular basis.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
That kid is a major talent with a great motor. He's pretty close to Suriano in ability. He pretty much wrecked Brian Courtney in the third period at the All-Star challenge between NY and PA after last season. But I can't see him making 125 on a regular basis.

Rei to 125, Suriano to 133?

Curious if Cortez is indeed moving up, never thought Suriano would bump to 133 so soon. Any potential transfers in play for either 125 or 133? Otherwise, if these rumors are accurate, they seem to be more strategically aimed at mitigating any significant advantage the buckeyes would have at both weights.

Who cares? We only need five wrestlers!

For what it's worth, I used to follow Cortez on Twitter but don't see him there now. The "PSU141" handle isn't him on either Twitter or Instagram.

Reactions: dadsmithwest
Who cares? We only need five wrestlers!

For what it's worth, I used to follow Cortez on Twitter but don't see him there now. The "PSU141" handle isn't him on either Twitter or Instagram.

Seriously. The difference between Pipher/Moss and Yanovich/Schnupp isn't going to matter except maybe in the margin of victory in a handful of duals. I personally like the idea of Nick Lee redshirting.

Seriously. The difference between Pipher/Moss and Yanovich/Schnupp isn't going to matter except maybe in the margin of victory in a handful of duals. I personally like the idea of Nick Lee redshirting.

So you would be proposing:

2017/2018
Yanovich/Schnupp
Suriano
Cortez
Zain
(Nick Lee redshirts)

2018/2019
Teasdale
Suriano
Cortez
Lee

Seriously. The difference between Pipher/Moss and Yanovich/Schnupp isn't going to matter except in maybe a handful of duals. I personally like the idea of Nick Lee redshirting.
I had my tongue in my cheek there but agree that it'd be nice to see a few underdogs on the team to watch grow. Trend seems irreversible though, if kids can forego scholarship money to wrestle for Cael (not to mention the dodgeball); I imagine many parents are fine with that tradeoff.

Or Suriano stays at 125 (to me likely) and Arujua holds down 133 for a year and then does redshirt/bump up to 141.

If we get Arujau, then we'll know what is happening. Suriano would most likely stay at 125 I believe, if that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT