ADVERTISEMENT

If Clemson destroys OSU again ...

I hope Oklahoma gets embarrassed again. I'm tired of them getting the benefit of the doubt for winning the Little 12(10).

I'm tired of the SEC and Clemson and I hope OSU repeats 31-0 so its OU by default.

Unlike Clemson who had 12 layup wins; they’re great right?

It’s not like they have anything to prove. there is the fact they have won umpteen games straight, two of the last three NCs, and are defending champions. You might be overlooking a few things?

Reactions: Grass
This question baffles me about the playoffs. What if team A blows up team B. What does that say.

It only says team A blows up Team B. Both teams earned the right to be there and on that day A was a shit-ton better on that day. It’s not an indictment of the rest of a league though it’s a convenient story line. Both teams earned their way in, whatever happens....happens.

Further, there is a clear lack of understanding of a seeding process for a tournament. If it were basketball, or wrestling or anywhere else power points are used in seeding, Clemson would still be 3. Heck...they might even be 4th, since even Oklahoma played a tougher schedule. They might.

Clemson can play the disrespect card all they want but there has been no disrespect. They played no one ranked in the top 25 so....they are seeded accordingly. Past years are irrelevant seeding for a current year. If past years were criteria then LSU would be 4th. Lol....

Is Clemson the best team? They might be. We will all find out. In order to do so they will have to beat OSU and the winner of LSU/OK. Funny. If they were seeded 1, for example, they’d still have to beat OK and either LSU or OSU. Big deal. Same thing either way.

They have a chance to prove it. All four do. And that...is something several other champions don’t have.

I do think it’s relevant. The last month has been a theme that PSU is almost there and absent OSU being one of best teams ever we’d have won and be in the playoff. If the premise is wrong then how close are we really? OSU winning the NC or losing close means we are really close, if not though then what?

It means nothing. OSU demonstrated over 13 games that they are a very good team. If they should happen to lose big to Clemson, that only means that Clemson was better than them that day. It doesn't invalidate their entire season or where their program is.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
What does that say about where PSU and the conference is? OSU went undefeated by double digits and it’s easy to chalk our losses up as OSU “being one of greatest teams ever” but what if not? Are we the baddies then?

Nothing. It will say that Clemson is better than Ohio State.

I see this all the time down here in SEC Country. The SEC as a conference takes full credit for Alabama winning 5 National Championships the last 10 years. NO.... the SEC did not win 5 National Championships... Alabama won them.

To flip your logic.... What if OU beats LSU. Does that say that the Big12 is better than the SEC? Does that say that a team that blew thru the SEC... beat Florida... beat Auburn... beat bama in Tuscaloosa... beat Georgia... a team that blew thru the SEC.... could not beat a Big12 team.. so therefore the Big12 is better than the SEC?

Or, would it say that on that particular night OU was better and beat LSU.

I see this all the time down here in SEC Country. The SEC as a conference takes full credit for Alabama winning 5 National Championships the last 10 years. NO.... the SEC did not win 5 National Championships... Alabama won them.

To flip your logic.... What if OU beats LSU. Does that say that the Big12 is better than the SEC? Does that say that a team that blew thru the SEC... beat Florida... beat Auburn... beat bama in Tuscaloosa... beat Georgia... a team that blew thru the SEC.... could not beat a Big12 team.. so therefore the Big12 is better than the SEC?

Seems rather simple, doesn't it?

Why do you think that is? Maybe because it’s getting harder to tell the PSU “fans” from the Pitt trolls.

Perhaps if you (referring to those who call out posters for expressing a differing opinion) took off the blue and white colored glasses and laid aside the "polly anna" mantle it wouldn't be so difficult to see that PSU fans can legitimately have differing views and opinions and should be allowed to express them without name calling and being labeled with degrading verbiage.

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
OSU just played PSU, Jim and UM, and Wisky in a row and was really banged up. That UM game was really hard hitting and did a number on OSU ( Fields' left knee is screwed up). If Clemson does win it all, they might want to send a thank you note to Jim as I don't think OSU will recover from the beating UM put on them. GO BLUE

The SEC and Alabama and Saban all take too much credit. The BCS and Sports Media owns a bunch of it. The BCS and current system awards prettiness and eye test more than anything. When it was two team the hammering love fest about the SEC created a self fulfilling prophecy. If you keep putting an SEC team in a national title game that only two teams (and sometimes one league) can play...they have a chance to keep winning. I assure you, if there had actually been a playoff of champions, Saban would not be the GOAT per today’s media. He would not have won that many championships. He would still sit behind great coaches like Bear, Woody and Joe (and his 5 undefeated teams and 409 wins).

Reactions: odshowtime
The SEC and Alabama and Saban all take too much credit. The BCS and Sports Media owns a bunch of it. The BCS and current system awards prettiness and eye test more than anything. When it was two team the hammering love fest about the SEC created a self fulfilling prophecy. If you keep putting an SEC team in a national title game that only two teams (and sometimes one league) can play...they have a chance to keep winning. I assure you, if there had actually been a playoff of champions, Saban would not be the GOAT per today’s media. He would not have won that many championships. He would still sit behind great coaches like Bear, Woody and Joe (and his 5 undefeated teams and 409 wins).

I'd never take anything away from Saban & Bama. They are a great program, on a great run, and he's a great Coach. I'm just saying that down here in ATL, when you begin debating with SEC fans about strength of Conference they will eventually say how the "SEC has won 5 national championships recently". No. Alabama did.

I heard it a few years ago when Kentucky was the best BB program. The SEC would claim to be the best basketball conference because "THEY" won the NCAA Tourny... No, the SEC did not win the NCAA Tourny, Kentucky did.

If Ohio State wins the National Championship this year, The B1G did not win the National Championship. Not sure about you, but I am not going to go around claiming the B1G is the best conference because WE won the national championship.... No, WE did not win the national championship, it would be Ohio State

Reactions: mn78psu83
Seems so very similar to PSU’s 31 game undefeated streak that extended over parts of four seasons (1967-1970). They never “beat anybody”, they had a couple close calls, so they couldn’t have been any good.....

(NOTE: MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SARCASM!)

I guess reading comprehension isn’t one of your strong suits, huh? Never said Clemson wasn’t any good and in fact I specifically said they may well win the National Championship again. What I said was (1) I don’t think Clemson would have won 28 straight games playing in the Big Ten East; (2) Clemson didn’t play a ranked team this year until it played UVA (24) last Saturday night: and (3) given No 2, this talk about none of the other playoff teams wanting to play Clemson was media BS.

I'd never take anything away from Saban & Bama. They are a great program, on a great run, and he's a great Coach. I'm just saying that down here in ATL, when you begin debating with SEC fans about strength of Conference they will eventually say how the "SEC has won 5 national championships recently". No. Alabama did.

I heard it a few years ago when Kentucky was the best BB program. The SEC would claim to be the best basketball conference because "THEY" won the NCAA Tourny... No, the SEC did not win the NCAA Tourny, Kentucky did.

If Ohio State wins the National Championship this year, The B1G did not win the National Championship. Not sure about you, but I am not going to go around claiming the B1G is the best conference because WE won the national championship.... No, WE did not win the national championship, it would be Ohio State

Was Alabama the conference Champion in each of his championships? He was not. Bryant, Paterno and others never had such grace that they could be awarded a shot in a title game just because they passed the eye test but couldn’t win their conference.

Did the past greats always get a team in the title game if they were undefeated? They did not.

Saban is great, but benefitted from a push. He is not the GOAT as blathered by today’s media.

and no....a win by OSU does not mean the Big Ten is the best conference. Heck. Why should they be...the team with the second best record in the league and the one that played them closest....isn’t even considered the second best conference team by “experts.”

Perhaps if you (referring to those who call out posters for expressing a differing opinion) took off the blue and white colored glasses and laid aside the "polly anna" mantle it wouldn't be so difficult to see that PSU fans can legitimately have differing views and opinions and should be allowed to express them without name calling and being labeled with degrading verbiage.
Differing opinions is not the problem, it’s the posters who post nothing but negative shit about Penn State and find the bad in everything about the team. If someone’s a fan, by definition they like the team so there should be at least some things they feel are positive. Complaining, griping, bitching, and finding something wrong with everything is not being a fan...sorry, it just isn’t.

It’s not like they have anything to prove. there is the fact they have won umpteen games straight, two of the last three NCs, and are defending champions. You might be overlooking a few things?

No Dave, you are the one talking out of both sides of your mouth, not me. You want to diss Franklin’s record because PSU has 6 lay ups each year, but ignore the fact that Clemson’s entire schedule this year was lay ups. Clemson has won National Championships after making the playoffs and congrats to them. However, their path to the playoffs has been decidedly easier playing in the ACC.

Reactions: BBrown
No Dave, you are the one talking out of both sides of your mouth, not me. You want to diss Franklin’s record because PSU has 6 lay ups each year, but ignore the fact that Clemson’s entire schedule this year was lay ups. Clemson has won National Championships after making the playoffs and congrats to them. However, their path to the playoffs has been decidedly easier playing in the ACC.

I am doing nothing of the kind. I never stated that Clemson had a tough schedule. I just pointed out you are ignoring some significant facts about their team. BTW, if you don’t think that LSU and tOSU wanted that #1 seed to avoid Clemson you are dreaming.

If Clemson did not have their recent history they would be like UCF, claiming they earned a title shot based on one great year of beating unranked schools.

As for Franklins record, 10 wins is not a big deal anymore. 18 teams in the top 25 have 10, or more wins. I am simply putting it in perspective that the best teams are doing better than having 3-2 or 4-2 records against competitive teams. “Layup” victories don’t mean much according to you, and you point to Clemson. I agree, so why argue about it?

If QB Fabio gets hurt, OSU wins for sure.

That is not out of the realm of possibility. I watched OSU several times this year and besides being very talented, they come off to me as very, very thuggish.

You think Clemson is beating OSU? Based on what? Who has Clemson played or beaten this year?
If OSU is going to win, the greatest defensive player in the history of mankind (or so some seem to think) needs to at least show up unlike what he’s done the last two games.

It means nothing. OSU demonstrated over 13 games that they are a very good team. If they should happen to lose big to Clemson, that only means that Clemson was better than them that day. It doesn't invalidate their entire season or where their program is.
I don’t see how you get there. If you’re trying to gauge national championship caliber and you get blown out in the playoffs, that says a lot. And this wouldn’t be a one off event - it’s happened before.

Reactions: zubrus1
Our program has gone sideways since the B1G championship 3 years ago. No playoffs. 4-5 record vs our primary foes in the B1G East. 1-2 in bowl games, for what that’s worth. We are no closer or further away than we were at this time in 2016.

Sideways, huh?
This group of graduating seniors (2016-2019) has the highest win total since the 1997 team (1994-1997). So that's the best 4-year stretch of Penn State football in over 20 years.

1-2 in our last 3 bowl games? C'mon - talk about cherry picking low sample sizes. You know who else is 1-2 in their last 3 bowl games? Oklahoma. They're actually 1-4 in their last 5 bowl games, but that program just went sideways into the playoffs, so maybe that not the best argument to make.

What does that say about where PSU and the conference is? OSU went undefeated by double digits and it’s easy to chalk our losses up as OSU “being one of greatest teams ever” but what if not? Are we the baddies then?
I will be loving ever minute of it just like last time 31-0 never forget.

I would not be surprised to see clemson win big. It is true clemson has played a cupcake schedule but they are deep, talented and have speed at every position. They are the new Alabama program.

I guess reading comprehension isn’t one of your strong suits, huh? Never said Clemson wasn’t any good and in fact I specifically said they may well win the National Championship again. What I said was (1) I don’t think Clemson would have won 28 straight games playing in the Big Ten East; (2) Clemson didn’t play a ranked team this year until it played UVA (24) last Saturday night: and (3) given No 2, this talk about none of the other playoff teams wanting to play Clemson was media BS.
Clemson played 12th ranked Texas A&M when they met.

I would not be surprised to see clemson win big. It is true clemson has played a cupcake schedule but they are deep, talented and have speed at every position. They are the new Alabama program.
The game will be close unless Fields does not play. O$U will put up points against them.

I’ll have what he is having.... pass that over here!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT