ADVERTISEMENT

Long Journey and I am tired

DrJC

May 29, 2001
I began at PSU in 1962. Rip Engle was coach and a really good one. Paterno was QB coach. In 1966 JoePa replaced Rip and started a new tradition of football at PSU. I followed every game I could on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the Air Force during Vietnam war. When I returned to PSU in 1970, I became season ticket holder until approximately 3 years ago. I went through the good and bad of JoePa (wouldn't throw over the middle, etc.) But Joe could win the big game and I had faith that the team on the field always would be competitive and physical. But that has changed. I first became a little worried when coach Johnson left for Ohio State. Still don't understand what happened. He was one helluva coach and his son was one of the greatest running backs I have seen. But now I am tired, as CJF coaches scared. There is no reason why Allar has not flourished and no reason we cannot run the ball with two great backs. There is no reason that receivers cannot shake their coverage as was the case yesterday. Actually, there is a reason - CJF and his uncreative offensive scheme. Some of the play calling was a joke and he should be held responsible. Accordingly, it is my frustrated opinion that Yurich should be let go and a dynamic OC hired and he must have freedom to design and implement a new offense. If not we will continue to fall. Remember, the new Big Ten alignment will put us against some damned fine teams and we need to have our act together. If we cannot change, then this old faithful alum will root for Rutgers!

Except for the last line I agree with the majority of what you have written. I could never cheer for Rutgers unless it directly helped PSU.

The OC has to have the authority to design an effective offense around the talent they have to work with / and you have to recruit to the style you plan to implement. If you are forced to run a slow developing read option then a “Pro Style drop back QB” (and the reality is the Pro Game is changing) is not going to be effective. It’s the old square peg in a round hole theory.

I began at PSU in 1962. Rip Engle was coach and a really good one. Paterno was QB coach. In 1966 JoePa replaced Rip and started a new tradition of football at PSU. I followed every game I could on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the Air Force during Vietnam war. When I returned to PSU in 1970, I became season ticket holder until approximately 3 years ago. I went through the good and bad of JoePa (wouldn't throw over the middle, etc.) But Joe could win the big game and I had faith that the team on the field always would be competitive and physical. But that has changed. I first became a little worried when coach Johnson left for Ohio State. Still don't understand what happened. He was one helluva coach and his son was one of the greatest running backs I have seen. But now I am tired, as CJF coaches scared. There is no reason why Allar has not flourished and no reason we cannot run the ball with two great backs. There is no reason that receivers cannot shake their coverage as was the case yesterday. Actually, there is a reason - CJF and his uncreative offensive scheme. Some of the play calling was a joke and he should be held responsible. Accordingly, it is my frustrated opinion that Yurich should be let go and a dynamic OC hired and he must have freedom to design and implement a new offense. If not we will continue to fall. Remember, the new Big Ten alignment will put us against some damned fine teams and we need to have our act together. If we cannot change, then this old faithful alum will root for Rutgers!
Jeesh we won 11 games last year and most likely will win 10-11 this year. I lived through many of the Paterno years starting with late 70’s bowl game against Arizona State which is the first college football game I remember watching. Obviously he won a lot of big games but there were some real ass beatings too. Especially in the Big Ten years. Lloyd Carr owned Joe.

I've been a long time supporter of Penn State football through the good and bad years. However, lately I've been questioning whether I can continue to support a program that isn't even willing to try and sail the ship in the right direction? I use to look forward to the big games, not so now. I know the outcome before the team takes the field.

It’s called apathy.

This is what happens when a fan base expects their team to lose games against top tier competition like Ohio State and Michigan.

Very sad and depressing when a program is destined to finish no higher than 3rd place in the B1G East again.

Quit being a crybaby.

Jeesh we won 11 games last year and most likely will win 10-11 this year. I lived through many of the Paterno years starting with late 70’s bowl game against Arizona State which is the first college football game I remember watching. Obviously he won a lot of big games but there were some real ass beatings too. Especially in the Big Ten years. Lloyd Carr owned Joe.
Joe stayed too long but in his prime he was considered the best coach in the game and Penn State was arguably the best program in the country after the 86 NC.
Franklin will never, ever sniff that level of success.

I use to look forward to the big games, not so now. I know the outcome before the team takes the field.

I hadn’t really thought about it much until I read this but you’re right.

I remember big games in the 80s/ 90s against Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, USC. They were always kind of nerve wracking leading up to them but I always had the confidence that PSU would play well and had a pretty good chance to win.

Now it seems like you just pencil in 2 losses before the season starts and people have just accepted it.

It’s been a slow creep but you’re right. The attitude of many has changed over the years.

That’s not crying, that’s frustration, and rightful so.
Since attending PSU and being a long time fan entitles someone to winning football games? There are multiple reasons why PSU has not gotten over the hump to elite status. Similar problems keep other programs from getting there. Get over it.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Joe stayed too long but in his prime he was considered the best coach in the game and Penn State was arguably the best program in the country after the 86 NC.
Franklin will never, ever sniff that level of success.
frankin is too hardheaded. It was brought up yesterday that people had questioned the coaches about the running game, the lack of a deep threat through the first 6 games and were basically told they were nuts. Well, guess what, at least imo, the running game is directly tied to the lack of a deep threat. We shorten the field for the defense. Right now they only need to cover 20 years from the LOS.

Our bread and butter through the first 6 games on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 has been the QB tush push. Yesterday we did that not once. Seems like we outsmarted ourselves. Similarly, it was obvious early that yesterday was not Allar's day. Why make him suffer? My wife said, it was something like a fast ball pitcher walking player after player and the coach leaving him in the game figuring sooner or later he'd get one across the plate.

Franklin says we'll look at the film. Really?? who in their right mind would want to watch that game again. It doesn't take a lot of though to see that the oline couldn't stop the pressure from a four man rush, the receivers couldn't get open, there were few holes for the RBs other than singleton's two carries, Allar couldn't hit the side of a barn with his passes.....

frankin is too hardheaded. It was brought up yesterday that people had questioned the coaches about the running game, the lack of a deep threat through the first 6 games and were basically told they were nuts. Well, guess what, at least imo, the running game is directly tied to the lack of a deep threat. We shorten the field for the defense. Right now they only need to cover 20 years from the LOS.

Our bread and butter through the first 6 games on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 has been the QB tush push. Yesterday we did that not once. Seems like we outsmarted ourselves. Similarly, it was obvious early that yesterday was not Allar's day. Why make him suffer? My wife said, it was something like a fast ball pitcher walking player after player and the coach leaving him in the game figuring sooner or later he'd get one across the plate.

Franklin says we'll look at the film. Really?? who in their right mind would want to watch that game again. It doesn't take a lot of though to see that the oline couldn't stop the pressure from a four man rush, the receivers couldn't get open, there were few holes for the RBs other than singleton's two carries, Allar couldn't hit the side of a barn with his passes.....
He never takes accountability for anything. As Joe did many times after bad losses - take responsibility for doing a terrible job of coaching the team. Franklin is too arrogant to ever do that.

In 46 years as a head coach, Joe Paterno, considered one of the best coaches of all time, had five perfect seasons. He beat a total of two top 10 ranked teams on the road in those five perfect seasons. Don’t give up on this year’s squad over a one possession loss on the road against the #3 team. It’s really hard to win on the road against a top tier team.

Who did we lose against!!

You and I have led somewhat parallel lives. I too remember the Rip years as well as when JP took over in '66. I served in the Marines and was sent to Nam just in time for Tet. I still have season tickets but never use them. My children and grandchildren are now the benefactors of those seats. You and I are dinosaurs. I miss the Pitt rivalry. I too wonder what ever happened with LJ sr. I suppose a part of me died when the whole JS scandal hit and things have never been the same. I'm ok with Yurchich as our OC; he's been successful everywhere he's gone. I like Diaz as our DC. I've never been a fan of Franklin. Y'all can quote me stats about JF all day long and frankly I dont give two sh*ts. He's not getting the job done and needs to go. Yesterday was an embarrassment. I'm tired too. Changes need to be made and they have to start at the top. We need to look no further than our wrestling program as an example.

Since attending PSU and being a long time fan entitles someone to winning football games? There are multiple reasons why PSU has not gotten over the hump to elite status. Similar problems keep other programs from getting there. Get over it.
After being an ardent die hard fan for over 50 years I have earned the right to bitch and whine. Maybe you should join me.

You and I have led somewhat parallel lives. I too remember the Rip years as well as when JP took over in '66. I served in the Marines and was sent to Nam just in time for Tet. I still have season tickets but never use them. My children and grandchildren are now the benefactors of those seats. You and I are dinosaurs. I miss the Pitt rivalry. I too wonder what ever happened with LJ sr. I suppose a part of me died when the whole JS scandal hit and things have never been the same. I'm ok with Yurchich as our OC; he's been successful everywhere he's gone. I like Diaz as our DC. I've never been a fan of Franklin. Y'all can quote me stats about JF all day long and frankly I dont give two sh*ts. He's not getting the job done and needs to go. Yesterday was an embarrassment. I'm tired too. Changes need to be made and they have to start at the top. We need to look no further than our wrestling program as an example.
Well if Yurcich is being limited or restrained by CJF, then shame on CJF. In big games, he plays scared. You can't win against Michigan or OSU playing scared. I am glad to hear that you survived the Tet offensive. Nightmare

Well if Yurcich is being limited or restrained by CJF, then shame on CJF. In big games, he plays scared. You can't win against Michigan or OSU playing scared. I am glad to hear that you survived the Tet offensive. Nightmare
That it was brother. BTW.....thank you for your service

Sorry to hear. One thing I tell my college football friends. Jim Harbaugh discovered that you cannot out Ohio State, Ohio State. So Harbaugh changed. He built a program around a punishing style or old Big Ten play. And the way it looks, Michigan will be favored to beat Ohio State again.

The RPO can be effective in college football. However, it takes a QB that can hurt you rushing the ball. Additionally, the RPO is slow developing and elite defenses (like Ohio State and Michigan) are able to react in time to stop the rushing attack.

I'm not 10% of the PSU fan that I used to be. The old cliche "fool me once, fool me twice." However, I hope that Franklin changes up the style where we are totally physical up front and then sprinkle in skill players that can make the big play.

Reactions: beachouse
I agree with the OP. I graduated in '84 and have been a loyal fan through good and bad times. But I'm checking out, at least for a while. This team is no longer worth the emotional investment or time. Losing is not the problem. If the team gives its best effort and comes out on the wrong end of the stick, I can accept that. But too often we beat ourselves, play tight in big games, make stupid penalties at the worst times and fail to play to our abilities. Add in other changes with super conferences that span a continent, NIL, endless commercial interruptions in games, ridiculous ticket and parking prices and the luster is gone. That offensive performance yesterday was epically bad, among the worst in PSU history. I hope members of the defense are giving the coaches and offensive players a piece of their mind. With even a serviceable offense, that game was winnable.

Reactions: hoflane
Lloyd had a lot of help in close games in that era, I don’t care what anyone says. Holding not called, bad spots, phantom pass interference (99), receiver called out who was clearly in (02), adding time (05), you name it. In a game of inches these calls make a difference.

You sound like a baby, it not 1968-1986 anymore . No team outside of Ohio State as one of the national championship from the north since 2000. And they won one 9 years ago and 12 years prior to that.

Pennsylvania has lost population, Tressel solidified OSU’s in state pipeline, and the south has become dominant.

Psu has been pretty darn good but has not kept up with OSU who hasn’t won a championship since 2014. We’re very good, but not a consistent top 5 or better team.

So fire all the coaches, move the university south, and hire whoever is the “ best current coach”. Because the reality is no northern team is winning titles and none probably will with the NIL and transfer portal.

Agreed, I can’t stand our fan base, they live in the past and have unrealistic expectations. Last year people were calling for Allar but if we had Clifford who wasn’t a statue we could have won that game.

Reactions: auxgym
Agreed, I can’t stand our fan base, they live in the past and have unrealistic expectations. Last year people were calling for Allar but if we had Clifford who wasn’t a statue we could have won that game.
despite everyone being down on Franklin with running a system for his QBs, I believe that Hackenberg, McSorley and Clifford were his three starting QBs through 2022 and all three went to the NFL

despite everyone being down on Franklin with running a system for his QBs, I believe that Hackenberg, McSorley and Clifford were his three starting QBs through 2022 and all three went to the NFL
A good friend of mine kept on bitching to put in Allar last year. How many first downs would he have picked up last year? How about his accuracy in passing and threat to run ?

We win the game with him.

I began at PSU in 1962. Rip Engle was coach and a really good one. Paterno was QB coach. In 1966 JoePa replaced Rip and started a new tradition of football at PSU. I followed every game I could on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the Air Force during Vietnam war. When I returned to PSU in 1970, I became season ticket holder until approximately 3 years ago. I went through the good and bad of JoePa (wouldn't throw over the middle, etc.) But Joe could win the big game and I had faith that the team on the field always would be competitive and physical. But that has changed. I first became a little worried when coach Johnson left for Ohio State. Still don't understand what happened. He was one helluva coach and his son was one of the greatest running backs I have seen. But now I am tired, as CJF coaches scared. There is no reason why Allar has not flourished and no reason we cannot run the ball with two great backs. There is no reason that receivers cannot shake their coverage as was the case yesterday. Actually, there is a reason - CJF and his uncreative offensive scheme. Some of the play calling was a joke and he should be held responsible. Accordingly, it is my frustrated opinion that Yurich should be let go and a dynamic OC hired and he must have freedom to design and implement a new offense. If not we will continue to fall. Remember, the new Big Ten alignment will put us against some damned fine teams and we need to have our act together. If we cannot change, then this old faithful alum aI
I also started at UP in ‘62 and remember the Lions beating Ohio State 2 straight yrs (62/63 I believe )The score of the second was 27-0 and the Buckeyes didn’t get a first down till 3rd Qtr! Then I listened to the ‘69 Orange Bowl vs Kansas on armed forces radio in Vietnam. We were on our way. Except for the Dark years it’s been a pretty good ride but now we have to get over the hurdle of the Big 2- can’t happen soon enough!

You sound like a baby, it not 1968-1986 anymore . No team outside of Ohio State as one of the national championship from the north since 2000. And they won one 9 years ago and 12 years prior to that.

Pennsylvania has lost population, Tressel solidified OSU’s in state pipeline, and the south has become dominant.

Psu has been pretty darn good but has not kept up with OSU who hasn’t won a championship since 2014. We’re very good, but not a consistent top 5 or better team.

So fire all the coaches, move the university south, and hire whoever is the “ best current coach”. Because the reality is no northern team is winning titles and none probably will with the NIL and transfer portal.
All true. But wait……there’s more!

College football is so much different. First up, the players. Used to be kids played multiple sports, played where coaches wanted them to, and dreamed of playing for the local/regional power. Now they concentrate on one sport, one position, play it all year. Attend camps, hire trainers, get dad jobs as coaches. The entire high school regime is about maximizing chances to get to the NFL.

Because of that they pick the mega powers that win natties. They know not only the head coach but which school has the best position coach that will get him to the NFL. There are recruiting gurus that find every player and rate them so it’s nearly impossible to find a hidden gem. And kids care far less about where dad played and go where the odds are best. And dad supports that because millions of dollars are on the line.

So the machine schools dominate and it’s very difficult to break through. And NIL and Portal is making it worse. Now kids get big bucks so they can play anywhere and help out mom and dad if needed. And the entire family can afford to travel to games now so no need to stay close to home.

Add in the playoff madness that only a very few schools can say they make it almost every year. Kids love that attention and added publicity it gets them. For a five star kid, that playoff competition can make a third rounder into a first rounder. From a half million dollar bonus the three years and a huge bonus. Huge.

Perhaps the 12 team playoffs will help. But for it to change things some teams in the 8-10 range will have to go on a run and at least make the finals. And winning one and fading away won’t do it. A school will have to win several title to join The Club……like Clemson did.

Its a different world, a different t game, and different sport. And a massive business.

Even the tv coverage is so different. In the old days teams played regional rivalries usually on regional tv. Think Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Maryland. So that helped keep recruiting regional neighbors argued with neighbors. Now every team gets national coverage every weekend. Doesn’t matter where you play the hometown can still watch.

The game has changed. The world has changed. Period.

After being an ardent die hard fan for over 50 years I have earned the right to bitch and whine. Maybe you should join me.
I was lucky enough to get a scholarship at PSU and play a sport. I would never act like that.

College football is so much different. First up, the players. Used to be kids played multiple sports, played where coaches wanted them to, and dreamed of playing for the local/regional power. Now they concentrate on one sport, one position, play it all year. Attend camps, hire trainers, get dad jobs as coaches. The entire high school regime is about maximizing chances to get to the NFL.

Because of that they pick the mega powers that win natties. They know not only the head coach but which school has the best position coach that will get him to the NFL. There are recruiting gurus that find every player and rate them so it’s nearly impossible to find a hidden gem. And kids care far less about where dad played and go where the odds are best. And dad supports that because millions of dollars are on the line.

So the machine schools dominate and it’s very difficult to break through. And NIL and Portal is making it worse. Now kids get big bucks so they can play anywhere and help out mom and dad if needed. And the entire family can afford to travel to games now so no need to stay close to home.

Add in the playoff madness that only a very few schools can say they make it almost every year. Kids love that attention and added publicity it gets them. For a five star kid, that playoff competition can make a third rounder into a first rounder. From a half million dollar bonus the three years and a huge bonus. Huge.

Perhaps the 12 team playoffs will help. But for it to change things some teams in the 8-10 range will have to go on a run and at least make the finals. And winning one and fading away won’t do it. A school will have to win several title to join The Club……like Clemson did.

Its a different world, a different t game, and different sport. And a massive business.

Even the tv coverage is so different. In the old days teams played regional rivalries usually on regional tv. Think Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Maryland. So that helped keep recruiting regional neighbors argued with neighbors. Now every team gets national coverage every weekend. Doesn’t matter where you play the hometown can still watch.

sounds like globalism perspective. Seems there is a cultural problem that exists everywhere. What a great opportunity to sort it all out. The only way it changes is with the family unit.

Truth hurts. He's preaching the truth. You can accept the listless losses to OSU every year. Go ahead. Other fans demand better results and I am one of them. You can call me a cry baby, I don't care. I love Penn State football and we can be better and will be better. Whether that is with Franklin or without him we will see.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Truth hurts. He's preaching the truth. You can accept the listless losses to OSU every year. Go ahead. Other fans demand better results and I am one of them. You can call me a cry baby, I don't care. I love Penn State football and we can be better and will be better. Whether that is with Franklin or without him we will see.
Listless losses? Seriously?

WS a one score game most of it. Last year we were ahead with 10 minutes left. Blew another lead a couple years back.

None of our games were listless. None.

Crybaby.

Listless losses? Seriously?

WS a one score game most of it. Last year we were ahead with 10 minutes left. Blew another lead a couple years back.

None of our games were listless. None.

Crybaby.
Results baby, we lost stop with the excuses. We do not have the mental fortitude to win in Columbus. Defense was not listless but the offense was not listless they were dead.

Well then .....you better start paying a hell of a lot more money to NIL. Since college football is now a Pro Sport. If you think elite talent is coming to Happy Valley because they adore Blue and White uniforms with Black Shoes you are delusional.

you are correct, the system has changed. But, the entire system has changed..why would we consider $700 million for stadium upgrades in this environment? The money is not coming from the University or from "profits" from the athletic department (we're not proposing eliminating any sports to preserve money), so it has to come from donations. But, isn't that the old model? Wouldn't it be better to maybe spend half the $700 million on upgrades and the other $350 million for NIL? That's the new direction. If what you posted is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then PSU is about to make a huge mistake. No where in your post did you mention that an upgraded stadium would weigh in a recruits decision.
So, maybe before PSU goes off on a major financial decision it should consider the new environment as well as the potential donor base of the future. Are the students of today going to belly up for continued donations as generations past? Are tomorrow's players going to be more interested in championships or the NIL money in their pockets? lots of questions to be addressed before moving forward I think

I disagree with OP. I too am a long time fan of PSU since 1974. Sure, everyone would like to go undefeated every year. Look at programs like Miami and FSU that ruled college football for years and have now come back to earth. Even Alabama looks beatable these days. To win, it takes good bounces, no injuries to key players, and sometimes luck. I know I am disappointed that we can't win against the big boys most of the time but I am very grateful that we have been for the most part a top 10 team for the last 50 years. Fans wanting to fire the Head coach and coordinators every time we lose is just ridiculous. So called Fans wanting to do that should go over to the Pitt site, they will fit right in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT