ADVERTISEMENT

The nay sayers were correct

bdgan

May 29, 2008
This board seemed divided before the OSU game. Some expressed concern about our inability to run and for our WRs to get separation and deep. Others said WVa, ILL, & Iowa were pretty good teams and that we were winning comfortably by taking what the defense was giving us. They also claimed that Franklin was running a vanilla offense and hadn't yet opened up the playbook. At this point I think it's pretty safe to say that those who expressed concerns had valid reasons.

The question is where to go from here. The lack of a running threat at QB limits our options. Can a pure drop back passer be successful without elite pass catchers? Can coaching improve? PSU didn't do much to get their skill players in space (Inside screens, roll out the QB, wheel route, etc.). If they didn't use those things vs OSU why would we expect that to change going forward?

Final comment/question... PSU started to have some success late in Q4 with Cephas and Saunders. Should PSU have spread the field with those guys sooner or was that success due to OSU playing soft after being up by 2 scores?

Coaches can't get players in space if the other guys can read and react fast enough. Harrison got in space, our guys didn't. There are reasons for that.

PSUbiomed posted a link below in the threads to a podcast hosted by former players Justin King and Derrick Williams. It’s 45 minutes long but even if you listen to the first 8-10 minutes it’s worth it. They touch upon the conservative nature of our offense. We don’t take ‘x’ number of long passes down the field each game to stretch the field. Allar is a conventional drop back passer with high level talent but we’re running a system better suited for a dual threat QB. Franklin has had his best offenses with QBs who can run. It’s not tailored to Allar’s strengths. If it’s not a good fit for Drew he’s not going to develop as well.
Found the link if interested:

Last edited:
PSUbiomed posted a link below in the threads to a podcast hosted by former players Justin King and Derrick Williams. It’s 45 minutes long but even if you listen to the first 8-10 minutes it’s worth it. They touch upon the conservative nature of our offense. We don’t take ‘x’ number of long passes down the field each game to stretch the field. Allar is a conventional drop back passer with high level talent but we’re running a system better suited for a dual threat QB. Franklin has had his best offenses with QBs who can run. It’s not tailored to Allar’s strengths. If it’s not a good fit for Drew he’s not going to develop as well.
Found the link if interested:
Almost have to wonder if Allar will consider transferring is we don't adapt. I've never understood coaches that refuse to put their players in the best situation

Reactions: hoflane
There are ways to create space - just as OSU did for Harrison.
Guys have to execute though. Not saying it's all executing, could be coaching, could be both but its easier when you have Marvin Harrison who understands soft spots in zones and can determine coverage presnap better than a lot ot NFL guys.

Guys have to execute though. Not saying it's all executing, could be coaching, could be both but its easier when you have Marvin Harrison who understands soft spots in zones and can determine coverage presnap better than a lot ot NFL guys.
Yes, but the TD that he caught in the 4th qtr was a pick similar to the way the defense was beat vs Michigan two years ago.

Reactions: creamery
When you're facing a team with a defense like Ohio State has, you can't start out running long developing pass plays. They will not give you the time to complete those plays. You start out with quick slants and outs, draws and screens to slow their pass rush down and then you can think about throwing downfield. I have been amazed for years about the inability of our receivers to find open space. We need to look at teams who do this and find out how they do it. All the speed in the world does you no good if you can't get open.

I saw a few things Saturday that could have turned the game in our favor. First, Ohio State didn't play a very good game. That game was there for the taking.

Our passing game was atrocious, separation or not. Drew had a bad day. He has not been a world beater yet, but if we got Drew vs. WV, we have a good chance of walking away with a win.

Our D did a pretty good job handling their O. The flag on the fumble 6, yea, it was a penalty, but you see D backs get away with A LOT more than that on every play. That call is missed a good percentage of time. I didn't see a shot on TV of the sack and the hold on the screen at the same time. Maybe it contributed, maybe not.

Playcalling was anywhere from questionable to bad. I thought we could have run outside on them. The trick plays need to go. We just don't execute them against smart, talented teams. The 4th down call to go rather than punt was bad. I was screaming at the TV.

In the end, Dew and playcalling lost this game.

Reactions: Roaring Run
I've felt all year that while Allar has, at times, been efficient he has not been accurate. IMO poor accuracy and receivers who couldn't catch a cold doomed the offense on Saturday. Seriously, when Allar would throw a decent pass it would be dropped - it was almost unbelievable at times.

I thought Allar had plenty of time in the pocket on most drop-backs but got overly anxious and made bad throws. I didn't feel like the OL has played poorly this year but he almost looked shell-shocked back there.

I don't know if Allar can clear up his head and the receivers can improve enough to win vs. Michigan. The good news is the defense is every bit as good as advertised and special teams are OK so they should at least be in the Michigan game.

When you're facing a team with a defense like Ohio State has, you can't start out running long developing pass plays. They will not give you the time to complete those plays. You start out with quick slants and outs, draws and screens to slow their pass rush down and then you can think about throwing downfield. I have been amazed for years about the inability of our receivers to find open space. We need to look at teams who do this and find out how they do it. All the speed in the world does you no good if you can't get open.

Draw play would have been useful.

Allar had plenty of time in the pocket on most drop-backs but got overly anxious and made bad throws.

Bingo.

This board seemed divided before the OSU game. Some expressed concern about our inability to run and for our WRs to get separation and deep. Others said WVa, ILL, & Iowa were pretty good teams and that we were winning comfortably by taking what the defense was giving us. They also claimed that Franklin was running a vanilla offense and hadn't yet opened up the playbook. At this point I think it's pretty safe to say that those who expressed concerns had valid reasons.

The question is where to go from here. The lack of a running threat at QB limits our options. Can a pure drop back passer be successful without elite pass catchers? Can coaching improve? PSU didn't do much to get their skill players in space (Inside screens, roll out the QB, wheel route, etc.). If they didn't use those things vs OSU why would we expect that to change going forward?

Final comment/question... PSU started to have some success late in Q4 with Cephas and Saunders. Should PSU have spread the field with those guys sooner or was that success due to OSU playing soft after being up by 2 scores?
Wonder where the rolling pocket that was deployed against West Virginia went? I have never seen a more stupidly called football game in my life. And I thought they had a 40% chance of maybe picking up a W in The Shoe with their great defense but that great defense defensive end to defensive end and everything in between played pretty well except for giving away turnovers with penalties and giving away seven points with a penalty then adding another penalty right after that.

Time for coaches and players alike to get off the streaming blogs and to spend their wisely.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT