ADVERTISEMENT

I apologize for no Gentle Thursday yesterday!

emertmakeshiteup

Feb 27, 2019
I read it was stopped because if the debauchery! Early 70's, just months home from the efing jungle with lead in me, I leave the Hub lawn for lunch at the skeller. Drink "more" with lunch, then request a six pack to go. I state, and admit with some arrogance, "I've been sitting right there for 45 minutes with a pitcher!" when he wants to card me. He does some body language of discusst, but leaves. My buddy knew him and requests I apologize, stating, "He's from back home!" (anthracite area). I tell him I'm sorry, just drunk and he says, "Just get out!" To which I reply, "Well ef you then!" Around he comes! I was on top of him pounding away and when I got pulled off. Over in a minute or so! Oh well!

Wow, Gentle Thursday! What a time. Young, drunk, drugged and stupid. Thinking I had the world by the tail after 4 years at PSU. Good memories!

Reactions: LionJim
I read it was stopped because if the debauchery! Early 70's, just months home from the efing jungle with lead in me, I leave the Hub lawn for lunch at the skeller. Drink "more" with lunch, then request a six pack to go. I state, and admit with some arrogance, "I've been sitting right there for 45 minutes with a pitcher!" when he wants to card me. He does some body language of discusst, but leaves. My buddy knew him and requests I apologize, stating, "He's from back home!" (anthracite area). I tell him I'm sorry, just drunk and he says, "Just get out!" To which I reply, "Well ef you then!" Around he comes! I was on top of him pounding away and when I got pulled off. Over in a minute or so! Oh well!

Feel like I've heard that story before...

I remember Orleans played but can’t remember the year (78 or 79). o_O
Had to be 78, if not a year earlier. A few folks were being tossed into the air by groups holding blankets during Still The One.

TBH, I can't remember if that was Gentle Thursday or the first/second Moving On.

GT always had real nice T-shirts, IIRC.

Reactions: rudedude
The golden age of Penn State. Loved being there during all this.
LOL -

Fraternity agrees to modify salamander eating tradition​

Fraternity agrees to modify salamander eating tradition

"Eat Me," said Sammy Salamander

Phi Delta Theta fraternity, responding to complaints voiced by a local animal rights groups, agreed yesterday to modify the actions surrounding the eating of live salamanders at the fraternity's annual Bowery Ball.

Eating live salamanders, a Bowery Ball tradition since 1966, was called into question recently by Trans-Species Unlimited, who argued the action was inhumane. The group, with the support of several faculty members and local Society for the Prevention of the Cruelty to Animals officials, also disagreed with what they saw as "finding amusement in abusing live animals."
The salamanders are kept in the basememt of the fraternity in a small, homemade pond. The animals swim around in the pond until they are plucked out and then swallowed. Some people dipped salamanders in beer to stop their squirming before downing them.

In a private meeting held yesterday with three representatives each from both Trans-Species and Phi Delta Theta, the following agreement was reached: — Phi Delta Theta will exercise humane treatment in the collection and storage of salamanders.

— No fraternity members or guests are to eat live salamanders, violators will be asked to leave.
— Salamanders will be killed in a humane way before anyone eats them.
— No advertising implicitly or explicitly suggesting that any live salamanders will be eaten at the fraternity.
— The agreement signed by both the president of Trans-Species and Phi Delta Theta, will become a permanant provision of the fraternity's by-laws.

"I think it's a reasonable change," fraternity member John Kauffman, who was at the meeting, said. "The only thing is, Phi Delta Theta is disappointed that Trans-Species didn't come to talk to us first. This all could have been worked out ahead of time."
According to group president George Cave, Trans-Species voiced initial alarm of the goldfish swallowing that occurred at Delta Sigma Phi fraternity last term. He said he complained to Irvin H. Kochel, assistant vice president for administration, and was told that is was an isolated incident and nothing could be done.

"When we saw the ads in the Collegian for salamander eating, we went back to Kochel," Cave said. "We didn't think it was an isolated incident any longer."

Cave said the group also contacted the State College Police Department to inquire about obtaining a search warrant to enter the fraternity and stop the live salamander eating.

A warrant was denied, but the police did call the fraternity, as did an unnamed University representative. Cave said he was told that the fraternity stated no salamanders would be eaten and that a sign was posted by the salamander pond requesting such.

Several female members of Trans-Species, however, attended Wednesday night's party and reported back to the group that salamanders were indeed being eaten. Later that evening, plans were made for Trans-Species and members of the fraternity to meet.

The meeting lasted 90 minutes with both sides fully discussing their particular points of view. After the exhaustive debate, an agreement was arrived at and written down.

Attending the meeting from Trans-Species were members Cave; Sylvia Carson, a librarian at Pattee; and Chuck Carson, a University alumnus. Kauffman, fraternity president Randy Thompson and member Tim Wilkinson attended for Phi Delta Theta.

Had to be 78, if not a year earlier. A few folks were being tossed into the air by groups holding blankets during Still The One.

TBH, I can't remember if that was Gentle Thursday or the first/second Moving On.

GT always had real nice T-shirts, IIRC.
The Nighthawks with Gregg Allman played the Residence Halls festival and they also played at the Scorpion in 1978. I remember the blanket tossing wit Orleans on the HUB lawn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT