ADVERTISEMENT

With only receiveing a warning, your greatesst diff between radared speed and posted limit?

I have a friend who is a local township officer. He told me the best thing you can do when you get pulled over is to just be honest. He said everybody lies to them all the time. The last two times I’ve been stopped I actually pulled over before the police officer even got to me. I found a good safe place I knew he was coming so I just pulled over got my license and registration out and had it ready before we even got to the car. Both times they ask me why I was speeding and basically I just said I wasn’t really paying attention and didn’t realize how fast I was going. Both times they let me off with a warning.

I have a friend, retired state trooper, who offered some advice. If stopped, try to pull off in a "traffic safe" spot. Lower your windows and turn on inside lights (night time). Make sure that he/she can see inside the car - good if they feel safe and it is a respect thing too.

I have been stopped maybe 10 times in 54 years of driving. 4 speeding and 1 rolled through a stop sign. Other times, I was lucky and got a warning.

I will chime in with my Ohio Highway Patrol story. Years ago, I was estimating a project in Southern Michigan on a Friday morning. Finished around 9:30 and had nothing pressing so I decided to take the slow scenic route back to Pittsburgh.

Heading eastbound on US250 beside Tappan Lake, cruising at 45 in a 45 zone, windows down and enjoying the last hour and a half of the drive when I pass a state trooper going the other direction. He turns on the lights and spins the car around like Buford T. Justice and comes up behind me.

I pull over and this guy tells me I was doing 68 mph. I was shocked at that number and asked how .. he said on radar and if I wanted to see the machine reading that he would be happy to satisfy my curiosity. I declined.

Forget what it cost me. Fortunately OH (and WV) don't report to PA so no points involved.

I had a several year stretch where I got 4 speeding tickets (not in PA), all while driving for work. Now my kids criticize my "lack of speed" on the highways. I just call it economic good sense.
Call me a cynic but I honestly believe that Pennsylvania state troopers often lie about the actual number on the radar. The reason I say this is because like many of you, I've been stopped and told a value that was nowhere close to what I was actually driving. I also have a friend who is the chief of police in a small town police force in western pa. They only have four cops and I was riding with him one day to home depot when a State Trooper pulled him over and said that he was doing 70 in a 45. It was at least 10 mph high.
When my friend, the local chief, questioned him about it, the state cop got belligerent and started claiming he was going to add on charges. Finally my friend got out his badge and called the local magistrate or someone directly to let him know what had happened. I dont know the conversation but I think the state guy was basically told anything he brought to him in the future would be thrown out.

88 in a 55 in minnehaha. so 33? I was driving from PA to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska for a PCS to my first duty station. I explained it to the cop and he said “well, slow down a little, be safe and thank you” and off I went.

88 in a 55 in minnehaha. so 33? I was driving from PA to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska for a PCS to my first duty station. I explained it to the cop and he said “well, slow down a little, be safe and thank you” and off I went.
Goodness how long was the total drive?

I got nailed for doing 97mph in the 55 zone of I95 southbound at thebPhilly airport on the way to drop my friend off in Delaware. Was seriously hung over from a Xmas party. Trooper came to the window and asked if I knew why I was being pulled over, and I said “because I am an idiot and going 95mph.” He said “I got you at 97.”
After taking the obligatory 40minutes to check out my info, came back and told me to slow down. Pretty sure if he gave a sobriety test, I may have failed. Man was I stupid in my mid twenties.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I got nailed for doing 97mph in the 55 zone of I95 southbound at thebPhilly airport on the way to drop my friend off in Delaware. Was seriously hung over from a Xmas party. Trooper came to the window and asked if I knew why I was being pulled over, and I said “because I am an idiot and going 95mph.” He said “I got you at 97.”
After taking the obligatory 40minutes to check out my info, came back and told me to slow down. Pretty sure if he gave a sobriety test, I may have failed. Man was I stupid in my mid twenties.
"Man was I stupid in my mid twenties." Weren't we all? Besides normal Fri/Sat keg parties in our apartment or invited to frat parties, thus being very heavily under the influence, I had one particular one I laugh to myself periodically when I recall it! On "Gentle Thursday" I was drinking (perhaps shared a few tokes too!) on old main lawn all morning. Went down to the skeller for lunch and shared a pitcher there too. We are leaving and I ask for a six pack. The bartender wants to card me. I say (probably with arrogance) "We've just been sitting over there with a pitcher for over a half an hour!" He returns the arrogance and storms off. Sick Jeff tells me to apologies, as the guy is from back home (Schuylkill County). He comes back with the pack and I say, "Sorry man, I'm just drunk!" He says, "Just get out!" I say "Well ef you then!" and around he comes. We go at it in the little area there were you down in to it. He had faded jeans, almost white and his left leg just stuck out for the perfect "one leg!" I was over him pounding away and got pulled off and it was over. Sick Jeff told me he was always getting into fights back home. Hell, I'd only been home from nam a few months and still had lead in me from Shakey's Hill, so I still had a chip on my shoulder too! Never thought about it to the next day, but the place was full of business and professionals eathing lunch! Hope they enjoyed it! lol

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Here in South Carolina, our roads aren't subjected to harsh weather or tremendous truck traffic. I purchased a 1999 BMW 328 iS. The car is governed at 154mph.. Sooooo....i was curious....and was clocked at 137. Luckily the trooper was a BMW fan and was more interested in the car than writing a ticket.

Two weeks ago 160+ in a 65. Backed off after watching the hood moving pretty good. I would probably be in jail if pulled over. I had to.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
First time was in San Antonio, TX. I was heading home from work and missed the school zone lights. Got pulled over, handed a citation, sent the ticket in with the check. 10 days later I get a letter in the mail from the DA written by the cop thanking me for my service.

Second time I had my 18 mo daughter in the car. Went around a bend at 40 in a 25. Saw the trooper, so I just pulled over. He walks up, says "Hi I'm trooper XXXXX" my daughter from the backseat blurts out "HI I XXXXX! I'M TELLING MOMMY!" I hand him my license, registration, and PoI. He walks back to his car shaking. He exits his car, takes a deep breath, comes back and says "I don't have to tell you to slow down, you'll probably lose the car after you get home. (looking back at my daughter) Have a nice day sweetie, don't get daddy in too much trouble." "He does that OK". LMAO

Third time we were headed to OC for the week. I'm cruising down MD32 through Ft Meade doing about 20 over posted. Cop walks up to the car. Daughter blurts out "MOMMY TOLD HIM TO SLOW DOWN!!!! THROW THE BOOK AT HIM." When he handed me the warning... "You're in enough trouble already." SMDL

Forth time was coming home from a viewing. I was on US15 S in Thurmont. Got pulled over for 80 in a 55. Trooper asked why I was in such a hurry. Told where I had been and I was headed home to my family. He told me to slow down, and not be in such a rush... better to get home safe than fast.

Reactions: KanePoster
Not mine but still my favorite fast story. Went fishing with an old navy fighter pilot in Houston while working for Orvis early 80's. He was pretty wealthy and loved fast cars and had a about a year old Carrera, and he could drive. He looked over at one point on a fishing trip as he was having fun driving and saw I was a bit apprehensive and laughed. Said this car is fast but the fastest car I ever had was a Pantera. Got pulled over on the way to Austin one time and the officer said sir our radar goes up to 150, how fast were you going? Said he could put it somewhere between 180 and 190 ..... but the car was a repair nightmare

First time was in San Antonio, TX. I was heading home from work and missed the school zone lights. Got pulled over, handed a citation, sent the ticket in with the check. 10 days later I get a letter in the mail from the DA written by the cop thanking me for my service.

Second time I had my 18 mo daughter in the car. Went around a bend at 40 in a 25. Saw the trooper, so I just pulled over. He walks up, says "Hi I'm trooper XXXXX" my daughter from the backseat blurts out "HI I XXXXX! I'M TELLING MOMMY!" I hand him my license, registration, and PoI. He walks back to his car shaking. He exits his car, takes a deep breath, comes back and says "I don't have to tell you to slow down, you'll probably lose the car after you get home. (looking back at my daughter) Have a nice day sweetie, don't get daddy in too much trouble." "He does that OK". LMAO

Third time we were headed to OC for the week. I'm cruising down MD32 through Ft Meade doing about 20 over posted. Cop walks up to the car. Daughter blurts out "MOMMY TOLD HIM TO SLOW DOWN!!!! THROW THE BOOK AT HIM." When he handed me the warning... "You're in enough trouble already." SMDL

Forth time was coming home from a viewing. I was on US15 S in Thurmont. Got pulled over for 80 in a 55. Trooper asked why I was in such a hurry. Told where I had been and I was headed home to my family. He told me to slow down, and not be in such a rush... better to get home safe than fast.
Driving on 32 and 15 regularly I know exactly where the cops were sitting when you got pulled over

Reactions: lionroar88
I always try to stay < 10mph over the speed limit. They seldom stop people for going 70 in a 65 zone.

All of my tickets have been as I enter small towns. The speed limit suddenly drops from 55 to 30 and I'm still going over 40. Those really piss me off.

But here's what really pisses me off. A speeding ticket in NY costs about $200. Several years ago I got two within 18 month. You might think that means $400 but you'd be wrong. You get an additional $750 driver responsibility surcharge payable over 3 years.

105 mph in a 35 mph zone at 19 years old. Town cop said he didn't think my car could go that fast, and told me to go home.

Got pulled over on the PA Turnpike around Morgantown. I was going well over 90 (close to 100) and cop says I was going 78. I had my 10 year old son and we were heading to the Eagles game so I took a chance and told the cop that I was running a bit late to get the greatest Eagle fan that ever lived to his first game. With that he immediately said "EAGLES" in a loud voice and followed that with "well you better get going or you'll miss the kickoff!"

Last edited:
52 in a 25 mph zone. Was going home for Thanksgiving from Connecticut to my parents in the NY Capital District area. Was passing through a small town about 10 pm when I got pulled over. He asked me where I was going, I told him to visit my parents. He looked at my license, handed it back and told me to have a great night. I have a unique last name, and as I found out, it's the same as the mayor of that small town.

52 in a 25 mph zone. Was going home for Thanksgiving from Connecticut to my parents in the NY Capital District area. Was passing through a small town about 10 pm when I got pulled over. He asked me where I was going, I told him to visit my parents. He looked at my license, handed it back and told me to have a great night. I have a unique last name, and as I found out, it's the same as the mayor of that small town.
If it's the same last name, it's not "unique".... ;)

I have had a few tix in my day but my best stores are:

buddy was driving on the Garden state back from AC to a shore town ... 125 got a ticket for 85. He had an old 6.9 Benz sedan that could really move.

a co worker was driving on a two lane road in NC at somewhere over 100 and at least 2x the speed limit, had a Scottish driving license and he walked after we both got threatened with arrest by the local NC officer. The officer was shaking when he approached the car and quite angry. LOL

Another friend was driving his Porsche turbo from CO to Vegas in the middle of the night, approached a car in right lane and truck in passing lane so my buddy flips his lights whereas the truck pulls behind the car in the right lane. He passes the truck at a very high rate of speed (150 ish) and a cop was the car in front of the truck. After my buddy is about a mile or so past the cop he sees flashing lights. He keeps going and after not seeing the lights for a while he pulls off onto a quiet road and settles in. After 15 or so minutes the cop passes. Friend waits an hour so and then continues on his way. When he arrives at the first town there is a police barricade blocking the roadway. He gets stopped and accused but they have nothing to prove it was his car. He gets a low $ fine as "they were sure he was speeding somewhere" and is sent on his way.

The older I get the slower I drive. Which is a good thing cause the older I get the faster cars I can buy. LOL.

Got pulled over on the PA Turnpike around Morgantown. I was going well over 90 (close to 100) and cop says I was going 78. I had my 10 year old son and we were heading to the Eagles game so I took a chance and told the cop that I was running a bit to get the greatest Eagle fan that ever live to his first game. With that he immediately said "EAGLES" in a loud voice and followed that with "well you better get going or you'll miss the kickoff!"
So that worked twice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT