ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma football player picks a fight

That MMA guy is going to get hit with a bigtime lawsuit. Kept hitting the guy when he was obviously down and not fighting back then the choke hold. A jury is going to find that excessive if the Oklahoma dude has any permanent type of injury.

Reactions: katchthis
My best friend played football at Mich St. He use to warn the other players not to mess around with the bouncer that wrestled at Mich St. If your not use to fighting a wrestler it’s big trouble. While you’re trying to throw a haymaker I’m shooting for your legs.
My Jr. High daughter is a second degree blackbelt in Kenpo. If you looked at her, you would obviously never know. She goes about 5'6" and 85 lb. If somebody tried something with her, they would get the surprise of a lifetime. She could certainly be overpowered by a much larger person, but I guarantee she would do a lot of damage. She's hurt me on several occasions.

Reactions: tlbakernc
My Jr. High daughter is a second degree blackbelt in Kenpo. If you looked at her, you would obviously never know. She goes about 5'6" and 85 lb. If somebody tried something with her, they would get the surprise of a lifetime. She could certainly be overpowered by a much larger person, but I guarantee she would do a lot of damage. She's hurt me on several occasions.

my son when he was smaller did karate for many years. The Sensai's son was in the class and obviously a black belt and after getting his black belt in Karate started focusing more on MMA. Of course when he gets to high school and the other kids in school know he is a black belt, they want to test him. He was normal height, but pretty skinny, Asian so did not look very intimidating. He was a good natured kid and always smiling. Well I guess after weeks and weeks and weeks of just walking past and not reacting to being made fun and picked on, he was tired of it. Finally one time, he said something back along the lines of 'stop talking, I am sick of it'. The other kid was waiting for that and challenged him. I guess the other took a swing first, easily blocked and about 15 seconds later the other kid tapped out after being put in a choke hold after a quick kick to the mid section and followed by a sweep of the leg putting the kid on the ground.

That MMA guy is going to get hit with a bigtime lawsuit. Kept hitting the guy when he was obviously down and not fighting back then the choke hold. A jury is going to find that excessive if the Oklahoma dude has any permanent type of injury.
I was thinking the same thing, especially with the video evidence we've already been shown...

I've been in more bar & bar bathroom fights than I care to remember. Usually the guy that moves first will end up on top. One of the worst scraps I was in was at Pitt/PSU game at Pitt in 2000. I am fairly certain I may have played a role in elevating hostilities. I was alone as my buddies were at their seats. The main d-bag I tumbled with tried a couple of times to push his thumbs into my eye sockets. I'd say we fought to a draw. Police eventually came in to break it all up and I was walked/dragged out of the stadium bloodied and bruised. Worst part of it was my brand new Motorola StarTAC was lost and back then those things were super expensive. I also had my ass kicked at a bar called Zelda's after a Pitt/PSU game in 1987.
I was at that 1987 Pitt game too and almost got whooped. Was sitting around the 35 yard line with my then girlfriend- whose father had been an All American at Pitt after serving in Korea. We had tailgated friendly with all Pitt folks before the game- but were seated separately from the group inside. All during the first half the Iron City drunk, unemployed "still" worker/Yinzer next to me in the KMArt Craig Heyward jersey (which somehow made him part of the University) was threatening us in our modest PSU gear. We weren't obnoxious or loud. We told him that her dad played for Pitt but that we happened to go to PSU. Didn't matter to this knucklehead. Every time Heyward bulled into the line he yelled "Iron Dog!!!!" At halftime we left and found other seats. We watched him looking around for us- realizing that he missed his shot. When Pitt intercepted Kinzer for a pick 6 as we were moving into the Red Zone to maybe win the place went nuts (in a bad way). I'm sure my ass would've been kicked. Glad to just get out of there....

Is it known that the football player is the one who punched him? Looks like he's breaking something up (telling the other guy to leave). Hard to know without seeing more of what happened.

I've been in more bar & bar bathroom fights than I care to remember. Usually the guy that moves first will end up on top. One of the worst scraps I was in was at Pitt/PSU game at Pitt in 2000. I am fairly certain I may have played a role in elevating hostilities. I was alone as my buddies were at their seats. The main d-bag I tumbled with tried a couple of times to push his thumbs into my eye sockets. I'd say we fought to a draw. Police eventually came in to break it all up and I was walked/dragged out of the stadium bloodied and bruised. Worst part of it was my brand new Motorola StarTAC was lost and back then those things were super expensive. I also had my ass kicked at a bar called Zelda's after a Pitt/PSU game in 1987.

Motels too. 😉

I am shocked!.....shocked I tell you!

Is it known that the football player is the one who punched him? Looks like he's breaking something up (telling the other guy to leave). Hard to know without seeing more of what happened.

at a certain point doesn't matter. even if the Oklahoma guy threw the first punch, one the MMA guy basically had beat the crap out of him, he kept going. And then put him in a choke hold. Talking civil suit, not a criminal suit looking at guilt/innocence of an assault charge. Talking about the Oklahoma due suing the MMA dude in civil court and claiming basically excessive beat down when he obviously was not able to defend himself to the point of a permanent injury. On what I saw, the Oklohoma dude wins that case easy. Question is does the MMA guy have anything of value to sue for,as if he is just some 20 something with no money to his name like most 20 somethings, then not sure what you can win in a monetary settlement.

Reactions: Midnighter2
2 groups of people who you don't mess with: wrestlers and farm boys.
You forgot to mention Marines. I had a friend who was a state qualifier in wrestling. He and a Marine got into a heck of fight. My buddy took him to the ground and pummeled him. One blow was a head butt square to the nose. He took a heck of a beating. About 10 mins after the fight, the Marine came back. This time he was ready. He’d punch him and step back. My buddy could not get into his legs. Never seen anyone take beating like that and come back.

You forgot to mention Marines. I had a friend who was a state qualifier in wrestling. He and a Marine got into a heck of fight. My buddy took him to the ground and pummeled him. One blow was a head butt square to the nose. He took a heck of a beating. About 10 mins after the fight, the Marine came back. This time he was ready. He’d punch him and step back. My buddy could not get into his legs. Never seen anyone take beating like that and come back.
I figured military folks are a given to not pick a fight with. I was shooting for the more "pedestrian" groups of people, who generally don't look like they could rip your head off with one hand and enjoy it.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I was at that 1987 Pitt game too and almost got whooped. Was sitting around the 35 yard line with my then girlfriend- whose father had been an All American at Pitt after serving in Korea. We had tailgated friendly with all Pitt folks before the game- but were seated separately from the group inside. All during the first half the Iron City drunk, unemployed "still" worker/Yinzer next to me in the KMArt Craig Heyward jersey (which somehow made him part of the University) was threatening us in our modest PSU gear. We weren't obnoxious or loud. We told him that her dad played for Pitt but that we happened to go to PSU. Didn't matter to this knucklehead. Every time Heyward bulled into the line he yelled "Iron Dog!!!!" At halftime we left and found other seats. We watched him looking around for us- realizing that he missed his shot. When Pitt intercepted Kinzer for a pick 6 as we were moving into the Red Zone to maybe win the place went nuts (in a bad way). I'm sure my ass would've been kicked. Glad to just get out of there....
One of the best lines I ever heard happened during that '87 game. Me and 3-4 of my fraternity brothers were catching the same type of shit from old, broken down IC drunks sitting right behind us. When that pick 6 happened they were all over us when my buddy stood up, turned around and said, "shut up old man, your life is almost over". Back in those days the grizzled Pitt fans absolutely HATED Joe. I never understood that.

my son when he was smaller did karate for many years. The Sensai's son was in the class and obviously a black belt and after getting his black belt in Karate started focusing more on MMA. Of course when he gets to high school and the other kids in school know he is a black belt, they want to test him. He was normal height, but pretty skinny, Asian so did not look very intimidating. He was a good natured kid and always smiling. Well I guess after weeks and weeks and weeks of just walking past and not reacting to being made fun and picked on, he was tired of it. Finally one time, he said something back along the lines of 'stop talking, I am sick of it'. The other kid was waiting for that and challenged him. I guess the other took a swing first, easily blocked and about 15 seconds later the other kid tapped out after being put in a choke hold after a quick kick to the mid section and followed by a sweep of the leg putting the kid on the ground.
My daughter started before her 4th birthday, so at this point everything is a natural reaction. If I go to put my arm around her, she reacts. You can't just joke around with her. It's really amazing the self defense moves she knows. As a dad, I like that.

We were worried about her on the school bus for years. We were afraid she would react the wrong way when some kid pulled an innocent prank. She was challenged once and walked away. I've seen her in a sparring match kick the crap out of a boy that was bigger than her, but still lose the match due to the point system. She is more into the performance part of it now, but she will be a 3rd degree by the time she is in college.

I was in college as the Vietnam War was winding down and ate in South halls dining room. There was a group of VN vets that always sat together, kept to themselves. After what they had been through us kids were pretty immature and insufferable.
One day a food fight breaks out and some kid launched a table spoon of mashed potatoes that hit this vet on the side of the head. Vet, a big barrel chested guy with shaved head.....when shaved heads were rare and scary.......slowly walks over to the kid, scoops up a handful of mashed potatoes, and slowly smears it all over the kid’s face. Kid never twitched a muscle!

Last food fight I remember!

Hold on there pal, and stop with the nonsense. I was in the Marines and we’re not fighters we’re lovers. We only joined to get those fancy dress uni’s and pick up chicks. You have obviously been watching too many Hollywood movies.🤩

The mma and jiu jitsu is highly effective if you like rolling around on piss covered floors. That is until you go to the ground and your opponent's friend sticks his cowboy boot in your temple. Never go to the ground voluntarily. There are rules in an octogon. Not on the street or in a pisser. Walk away if at all possible.
We (actually Rutgers. He transferred right before the incident) lost a QB because of something like this. To your point, the QB kicked the guy in the head that was on the ground due to a sucker punch. At this age, you can kill someone or hurt them for life.

" A good run beats a bad stand!"

She goes about 5'6" and 85 lb. If somebody tried something with her, they would get the surprise of a lifetime. She could certainly be overpowered by a much larger person, but I guarantee she would do a lot of damage. She's hurt me on several occasions.

This raises some troubling questions.

During the early 80’s (1981) I went to a bar at Seaside Heights called the Chatter Box to see a band. I remember 4 or 5 locals came in and began shouting out ethnic slurs and three guys from Staten Island approached them. They made their way to the side street not the boardwalk. The CB had this door towards the back that would lead you to a poorly lit side street. Several of us followed them out and in a matter of minutes one guy had a busted nose, a massive contusion by his orbital bone and bleeding like a sieve. My friend and I couldn’t understand why the bouncers allowed them to fight or at the very least try to stop the fight. Through a friend we found out that the guy who did the fighting was a solid LH boxer and the other two had family ties to the Genovese crime family, both were supposedly packing. Even though I was not involved this horrible event served as a very scary and valuable lesson.

Last edited:
I was in college as the Vietnam War was winding down and ate in South halls dining room. There was a group of VN vets that always sat together, kept to themselves. After what they had been through us kids were pretty immature and insufferable.
One day a food fight breaks out and some kid launched a table spoon of mashed potatoes that hit this vet on the side of the head. Vet, a big barrel chested guy with shaved head.....when shaved heads were rare and scary.......slowly walks over to the kid, scoops up a handful of mashed potatoes, and slowly smears it all over the kid’s face. Kid never twitched a muscle!

Last food fight I remember!

Meh, they were kids. Come on.

We (actually Rutgers. He transferred right before the incident) lost a QB because of something like this. To your point, the QB kicked the guy in the head that was on the ground due to a sucker punch. At this age, you can kill someone or hurt them for life.

" A good run beats a bad stand!"
My Marine Father taught me 3 things about fighting: #1: If someone really wants to fight you, and you don't know them, do whatever you can to avoid trouble b/c you have nothing to gain, everything to lose and they probably fight more than you. #2: Marines never retreat- they "attack" in a different direction and lastly #3: A Quote from boxing great Floyd Patterson: "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day."

we also don't know what happened before this to start the fight. was it mutual type just dumb drunk people. did the Oklahoma guy or did the MMA guy start it. that will be big in the lawsuit.

My Marine Father taught me 3 things about fighting: #1: If someone really wants to fight you, and you don't know them, do whatever you can to avoid trouble b/c you have nothing to gain, everything to lose and they probably fight more than you. #2: Marines never retreat- they "attack" in a different direction and lastly #3: A Quote from boxing great Floyd Patterson: "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day."
My father was an Air Force guy, but it sounds like they pretty much think/ thought alike.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Yeah, this MMA stuff is nothing to f*ck around with. Years ago, nobody would dare mess with these big football players, but now you don't know which scrawny little runt is a MMA guy and can tie you into a pretzel. You might know football, but these dudes know, study, and practice how to fight.
Exactly. At a gym I used to go to we had some big weight lifter guys and some guys who trained mma. The big guys at the time used to talk shit about how these little guys could never tap them out. Well one day one of the little guys, maybe 140 pounds, invited one of these big dudes to go at it on the mat. Not a fight mind you but wrestling, jit, etc. Talk about a mismatch. The little guy tapped out the big guy in about 20 seconds. You would never give the little guy a second thought in a bar.

Exactly. At a gym I used to go to we had some big weight lifter guys and some guys who trained mma. The big guys at the time used to talk shit about how these little guys could never tap them out. Well one day one of the little guys, maybe 140 pounds, invited one of these big dudes to go at it on the mat. Not a fight mind you but wrestling, jit, etc. Talk about a mismatch. The little guy tapped out the big guy in about 20 seconds. You would never give the little guy a second thought in a bar.
Or a little guy from East St. Louis with a straight razor...

The question is, would you rather fight a guy who is bigger than you, or considerably smaller? Think about it.

BTW I like Thomas 1945's advice. Be a lover(in your dreams (my case) or reality...), not a fighter...

Reactions: PSUPride1
I have only been in one bar fight, however, somewhat notable, in that it was on "Gentle Thursday" of all days, with the skeller bartender and at lunchtime, filled with all the business folks. Entertainment provided! lol It was not my fault however. I know, I know, that is what they all say! So go down for lunch with beer, wine and mj in me. Eat a nice lunch with another pitcher of! Ask for a six pack and the bartender wants to card me. Now I'm 21, home from nam (1st CAV) with lead still in me, and have been sitting there for 40 minutes drinking. I tell him I've been sitting right there for 40. He does this double take thing but then leaves to get it. My buddy "Sick Jeff" asks me to apologize, stating the guy is from back home (anthracite area). So I say I'm sorry, just drunk and he says, "Just get out!" That was all I could handle and reply well "ef you then"! and around he comes. We go out in that little area where you enter. He had really faded jeans on, inviting the perfect "one leg" to which I obliged! I was on top pounding him, pulled off by who knows who and over in two minutes!

One of the best lines I ever heard happened during that '87 game. Me and 3-4 of my fraternity brothers were catching the same type of shit from old, broken down IC drunks sitting right behind us. When that pick 6 happened they were all over us when my buddy stood up, turned around and said, "shut up old man, your life is almost over". Back in those days the grizzled Pitt fans absolutely HATED Joe. I never understood that.
My favorite "fight" line came from baseball. Jeff Nelson (all 6' 9" of him) came out of the pen and was immediately tossed to the ground by some small guy whose name I forget, to which he quipped, "I've been thrown to the ground by guys a lot bigger than you."

My 2 cents. Folks trained in the martial arts clearly have advantages in most street fights. However, I’ve observed that size, strength, toughness and some decent fighting ability still typically wins the day. If a big, strong guy just throws haymakers he’s gonna get whooped. But guys who wrestled and/or played football and can take someone down are hard to stop if they have a distinct size advantage and some knowledge of what to do.

I’ve never punched anyone in the face and would never as you can kill someone and ruin your life. As others have said, avoid those confrontations and protect your career, freedom and money. In the few times in my life where I had to defend myself I just took the guy down and kept him there until he realized he’s had enough.

I have only been in one bar fight, however, somewhat notable, in that it was on "Gentle Thursday" of all days, with the skeller bartender and at lunchtime, filled with all the business folks. Entertainment provided! lol It was not my fault however. I know, I know, that is what they all say! So go down for lunch with beer, wine and mj in me. Eat a nice lunch with another pitcher of! Ask for a six pack and the bartender wants to card me. Now I'm 21, home from nam (1st CAV) with lead still in me, and have been sitting there for 40 minutes drinking. I tell him I've been sitting right there for 40. He does this double take thing but then leaves to get it. My buddy "Sick Jeff" asks me to apologize, stating the guy is from back home (anthracite area). So I say I'm sorry, just drunk and he says, "Just get out!" That was all I could handle and reply well "ef you then"! and around he comes. We go out in that little area where you enter. He had really faded jeans on, inviting the perfect "one leg" to which I obliged! I was on top pounding him, pulled off by who knows who and over in two minutes!
Wow, you did NOT want to pull out an ID!

The only bar fight I ever started was in the back room of the Skellar. Friday afternoon- hot Spring day- people bumping into each other and spilling suds on left and right. I'm guessing I was pretty tanked- and I felt big soaking on my back. I turned to await an apology and nobody was there. I probably looked like an absolute tool while trying to figure out what happened- then I noticed a table of guys eying me up and giggling. Rather than communicate my plan to my friends- the best my mind could think to do was to fill a plastic cup of beer into my right hand, and take the plastic pitcher in my left, and to spike the cup onto the forehead of the guy who was laughing the most. NOT. A. GOOD. DECISION. I hit someone pretty good with the pitcher and quickly was looking at the ceiling. Luckily the bouncer was right there- and had hoisted me into the air. He was a varsity wrestler who I knew a bit- and as he carried me out to the front door he said "I'll hold them off for a minute or so- but you better run!" And that I did. Staggering down Calder Alley....

My 2 cents. Folks trained in the martial arts clearly have advantages in most street fights. However, I’ve observed that size, strength, toughness and some decent fighting ability still typically wins the day. If a big, strong guy just throws haymakers he’s gonna get whooped. But guys who wrestled and/or played football and can take someone down are hard to stop if they have a distinct size advantage and some knowledge of what to do.

I’ve never punched anyone in the face and would never as you can kill someone and ruin your life. As others have said, avoid those confrontations and protect your career, freedom and money. In the few times in my life where I had to defend myself I just took the guy down and kept him there until he realized he’s had enough.
When you defend your self instincts take over. I have been in one fight as an adult, defending a friend who was being challenged by a much bigger person who was drunk. The drunk threw a punch at me, I hit him with a hook to the side of the face, fight over with one punch. My hand, wrist, forearm took 6 months for the swelling to completely go away, also had 5 stitches in my hand (hand was not broken). No need to mention his injuries, safe to say, he probably has a reminder of that incident every time he looks in the mirror.

A few lessons learned:
1. It's not the movies, punches to the head brake bones on faces and hands.
2. The sober guy beats the drunk guy
3. Avoid fights, but if you can't and sometimes you cannot (this guy wanted to fight)...don't be afraid to hurt the other guy...you have to realize, fighting another adult can result in serious injury or worse. Gets back to avoid fights if at all possible.

Last edited:
When you defend your self instincts take over. I have been in one fight as an adult, defending a friend who was being challenged by a much bigger person who was drunk. The drunk threw a punch at me, I hit him with a hook to the side of the face, fight over with one punch. My hand, wrist, forearm took 6 months for the swelling to completely go away, also had 5 stitches in my hand (hand was not broken). No need to mention his injuries, safe to say, he probably has a reminder of that incident every time he looks in the mirror.

A few lessons learned:
1. It's not the movies, punches to the end brake bones on faces and hands.
2. The sober guy beats the drunk guy
3. Avoid fights, but if you can't and sometimes you cannot (this guy wanted to fight)...don't be afraid to hurt the other guy...you have to realize, fighting another adult can result in serious injury or worse. Gets back to avoid fights if at all possible.
You are correct. I should’ve said that I didn’t feel extremely threatened in my case, and was able to de-escalate the way I did. However, if one of faced with serious harm when being attacked, I agree all bets are off.

That’s why MMA guy here is in trouble. Even if he didn’t start the altercation, he attacked when he most likely could’ve walked away. He continued when the threat was over.

Reactions: dailybuck777
You are correct. I should’ve said that I didn’t feel extremely threatened in my case, and was able to de-escalate the way I did. However, if one of faced with serious harm when being attacked, I agree all bets are off.

That’s why MMA guy here is in trouble. Even if he didn’t start the altercation, he attacked when he most likely could’ve walked away. He continued when the threat was over.

Remember when people weren't such pu$$ies and you got in a fight and got your ass kicked, maybe you weren't such a d bag the next time. Now everyone wants to sue and call the cops. I think that's part of the problem these days. "Words hurt" if you have never been punched in the face for getting out of line to find out what really hurts. Too many lawyers and snowflakes with big mouths and sensitive feelings.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT