ADVERTISEMENT

How much is Cael worth to Penn State?

That's Flo's estimate, with no insight toward the current negotiations.

to be honest I never really got enmeshed in the article.........

beavis-and-butthead-i-hate-numbers-theres-like-a-lot-of-them.jpg

(Yeah, I kinda glazed over after a while too.)

Reactions: diggerpup
This is an interesting question to me. On one hand Cael and PSU are the top coach and program. On the other, it's still a non-revenue sport. Cael can't point to ticket or TV revenue to say "look at what I bring the university" in easy to count $s.

Reactions: Lyons212
Wrestling will never be a revenue sport, at any school. Cael's is worth whatever the university thinks being the best program in the country is worth. The question the university has to ask is do they want to continue to dominate the sport? If so, you make sure Cael does not leave.

This is an interesting question to me. On one hand Cael and PSU are the top coach and program. On the other, it's still a non-revenue sport. Cael can't point to ticket or TV revenue to say "look at what I bring the university" in easy to count $s.

Pardon for speaking a little Chinese here, but Cael can point to transcripts and trophies and say "look at the student-athletes I bring to the university."

Yeah, I know, that doesn't exactly have any tangible financials . . . unless, perhaps, wrestling graduates would be willing to disclose their post-PSU financials, thus shedding some light on their future "donor potential". Would be tough at this stage, though, as all the data would be <10 yrs old post-graduation.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Pardon for speaking a little Chinese here, but Cael can point to transcripts and trophies and say "look at the student-athletes I bring to the university."

Yeah, I know, that doesn't exactly have any tangible financials . . . unless, perhaps, wrestling graduates would be willing to disclose their post-PSU financials, thus shedding some light on their future "donor potential". Would be tough at this stage, though, as all the data would be <10 yrs old post-graduation.
You have it all wrong....they are going to be paid six figure salaries from the slush fund! All of these champions are a drain on resources!!

Reactions: Ski and slushhead

Sure he can. The numbers they present are 2011 thru 2016 and the wrestling team for that period had a 125% increase in revenues. I don't have the time but if someone could find the 2009 (last year before Cael) revenues the increase would be even greater and the upward trend will continue as there is a waiting list to get season tickets so the upper limit on how much PSU can charge for wrestling tickets is still off in the distance. TV is hard to quantify but the wrestling team wasn't allocated anything for media revenue and I personally pay $120/year for BTN Plus, mostly to get wrestling.

Reactions: dunkej01
You have it all wrong....they are going to be paid six figure salaries from the slush fund! All of these champions are a drain on resources!!

Or, Cael could say, "Look at the wealth I have accumulated in the slush fund -- I'd be willing to share some of that with you in exchange for what I'm asking for facilities and staff. Let's face it, I could cover those things with the slush fund alone, but it would look better for you if it was all on the University books."

Reactions: PSUer1989
Speaking of the slush fund . . . I have been meaning to tell you guys that I wish you had a different nickname for it.
Ha!

My family visited the Reagan Library recently. There was a letter from a kid to Governer Reagan (transcribed from a photo I took):

"Dear Mr. Governor:

Have you heard of the Dumbarton Bridge? If you have--could you maybe change the name please? It would sure help me with the kids at school.

Yours truly,

Betsy Barton

P.S. if you can't change the name--could you just take off the Dum?"

Last edited:
Reactions: T J and slushhead
I stopped reading at the word "administerial"

Then I started reading again hoping it would get better. Only to find he decided to paint himself in a corner, declaring Basketball as the second in ticket sales with wrestling not far behind in 3rd.

And THEN found a graph showing Hockey more than double BBall ticket sales....and called it "worth mentioning"

(face palm)

I stopped reading at the word "administerial"

Then I started reading again hoping it would get better. Only to find he decided to paint himself in a corner, declaring Basketball as the second in ticket sales with wrestling not far behind in 3rd.

And THEN found a graph showing Hockey more than double BBall ticket sales....and called it "worth mentioning"

(face palm)

What's the beef with administerial?

Clearly someone has been making up words that get snuck into the dictionary when I'm sleeping. Or drinking.

Haha, I feel ya. 'Resiliency' used to always do that to me, I was like, 'resilience is a word, why add the y?'

That dude Spey is the latest Internet Wrestling Fan that Flo has brought on board; I've been reading his personal blog & following him on the tweeter for a few years now, and I'm a fan. Given that background, I tend to look at this kind of content from Flo like a fan blog. Dude's a blogger, who's been upgraded to from free creation to paid creation, just like Pyles & Nomad before him. That doesn't specifically address your other item about the charts, but it's my background experience, so thought I would share for context.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Wrestling will never be a revenue sport, at any school. Cael's is worth whatever the university thinks being the best program in the country is worth. The question the university has to ask is do they want to continue to dominate the sport? If so, you make sure Cael does not leave.
I remember seeing, on this list, links to articles saying: in the past N years, these following schools have earned the most national championships across all sports. And Penn State was high on that list, maybe even at the top. Those national championships seem very valuable to me. If I owned a university, I'd pay a lot for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Haha, I feel ya. 'Resiliency' used to always do that to me, I was like, 'resilience is a word, why add the y?' ...
Me too! Also, why use 'Resiliency' when one can probably just use 'the will to endeavor to persevere' ?!? :) Kids today are neglecting the classics. Don't reinvent the wheel, yo!

Last edited:
howdy fellas. appreciate all the feedback. administerial is a word. it's administrative's more poetic cousin. was trying to unboringify the copy but perhaps I overreached.

also good point about the ice hockey chart. I was gonna leave it out entirely because it didn't go back to 2011 like the other sports, but then decided to add it on a late revision but didn't really do a good job of clarifying why it was just stuck in at the end. so agree with the assessment there.

and clearly we were going for maximum Cael impact despite not having any new info from Barbour or Sanderson but the ticket sales and and coaching staff salaries was new information. At least I haven't seen it anywhere else on the interwebs. Took a while to research FWIW.

anyhow, thanks for reading!

Ira, Joyner, Martin, Lynch, Elinisky, Bevilicqua are just a couple who immediately come to mind. There is a pretty strong track record indicating Penn State wrestling graduates do well professionally and reward their alma mater.

Last edited:
Get Cael what he wants and
eliminate some 10-15 Asst ADs.​

;)

Get Cael what he wants and
eliminate some 10-15 Asst ADs.​

;)
If we get rid of all of those assistant ADs who will Sandy send to all of those weekly presentations all of the coaches are now required to give.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT