ADVERTISEMENT

High School Wrestling Thread

Parents have to understand if you are going to move schools, you run this risk. While PIAA is unfair sometimes in the rulings, this is a risk you are taking. I just get tired of the constant whining about it. If you change schools, you must know that it *may* be flagged, and your kid *may* sit for the year.

Parents have to understand if you are going to move schools, you run this risk. While PIAA is unfair sometimes in the rulings, this is a risk you are taking. I just get tired of the constant whining about it. If you change schools, you must know that it *may* be flagged, and your kid *may* sit for the year.
I hope others in this situation contest the rulings through the court system. Some of the transfer rules are not applied universally, legitimate arguments are not always heard, and North Korea has a more fair appeals process. Let the judges figure this one out.

I hope others in this situation contest the rulings through the court system. Some of the transfer rules are not applied universally, legitimate arguments are not always heard, and North Korea has a more fair appeals process. Let the judges figure this one out.
The duals start Thursday, Im afraid time has ran out for Mr. Gill.

Your Peter Dinklidge ass ain't throwing nothing away--except a ticket to ride the big boy coasters at Six Flags. Settle down wee man. I think you have enough college coaches and parents that want to hurt you. No one--literally no one--takes anything you say seriously.

Oh, you must have forgot when I called you out on IG about writing articles about Nickal for the UFC, you said you were a PAID journalist. So which is it?
I’m so confused.

#1 what is with this wee main stuff? Do you think I’m Willie or something? Just made up that I’m super short for no reason aside from your own weird obsession Lmao

#2 college coaches and parents want to hurt me? Lol! Who? Iowa… I have dozens of relationships with college coaches across the country.

#3 no where in a bo Nickal article did anyone say I’m a paid journalist. You made that up. I didn’t write those articles about Nickal you bonehead. They are written by Walker van wey of the ufc and he interviewed me for them. You thought I wrote them? You thought wrong lol learn to read genius. For someone who doesn’t take anything I say seriously you sure follow me and try to size me and everything I say up. Creepy…

You are so hellbent on me that you’ve lost your mind, what a loser. 😂

Your Peter Dinklidge ass ain't throwing nothing away--except a ticket to ride the big boy coasters at Six Flags. Settle down wee man. I think you have enough college coaches and parents that want to hurt you. No one--literally no one--takes anything you say seriously.

Oh, you must have forgot when I called you out on IG about writing articles about Nickal for the UFC, you said you were a PAID journalist. So which is it?
A lot of words coming from a guy hiding behind a screen name who did zero on or off the mat.

Really? I honestly did not know that you weren't a paid journalist. Well that changes how I'll read your posts, in a good way.
A paid journalist? Never. I love the port of wrestling and in my own free time decided to create a forum and chat about the sport. Members discuss and gossip topics just like this forum. Not my job by any means. I have a full time corporate job not related to sports. I just love wrestling.

Thanks BB- I appreciate ya!
The guy just popped on awhile back and posts all negative posts. Trust me Pat no one on here takes him serious. When people come on here with the soul purpose of talking bad about people, wrestlers and don’t bring much to the convo they mean nothing here.

We appreciate your work in wrestling. Thanks again. Go PSU and heck with Iowa lol
The guy just popped on awhile back and posts all negative posts. Trust me Pat no one on here takes him serious. When people come on here with the soul purpose of talking bad about people, wrestlers and don’t bring much to the convo they mean nothing here.

We appreciate your work in wrestling. Thanks again. Go PSU and heck with Iowa

We appreciate your work in wrestling. Thanks again. Go PSU and heck with Iowa lol

So Brock, is it 'low to compare you to Pat Mineo', or do you like him now? You have to be the most unbalanced, emotionally unstable person I've met on here. You literally change your opinions (which are always wrong) about every-other post.

I'm just surprised you didn't start off with 'I heard at M2'......or 'rumor has it'. I know we are in for a good time when you come in hot like that, lol.

You are sizing a bunch of people up on here behind a fake screen name dude, go away. You have mental issues.

The rule is the rule. Actually the PIAA finally got one right for a change. Nothing changes for Gill as far as his recruitment or his status in national rankings. All the kids in the State tournament will have their shots at Gill and the McCort guys thuis summer...

Nobody is beating Bassett and that includes Gill.

The Retherford Saga is a prime example of PIAA overreach. His family moved… sold and bought property paid School Taxes to Benton School District. 10 years later low and behold they still live there. I hate power hungry azzhats.

The Retherford Saga is a prime example of PIAA overreach. His family moved… sold and bought property paid School Taxes to Benton School District. 10 years later low and behold they still live there. I hate power hungry azzhats.
Adults who run youth athletic organizations spend a lot of time punishing the youth trying to control the adults.

None of this makes any sense but neither does having two state champs at every weight in an individual sport. Have AA and AAA for team titles and enforce transfer rules but combine everybody for individual titles and let everybody compete. If I had a kid and it was feasible to move so he could get better coaching, more exposure and a better shot at a scholarship of course I’d do it.
In the end it doesn’t just hurt the kids who can’t compete, it cheapens the idea of the whole competition. Kids diet to be “champs” but their victories are tainted because their parents/coaches used a technicality to get them their title.

The duals start Thursday, Im afraid time has ran out for Mr. Gill.
For him it is sadly but there are others currently and will be many more in the future in the same predicament. The current PIAA process smells fishy, and maybe it’s all above board, what do I know? The most peculiar aspect is that the appeals are governed by the same entity that creates the punishment and enforces the punishment. A better system would use an independent arbitration board consisting of appointed officials with no ties to the PIAA or skin in the game. Parents should not need to hire lawyers to get a fair shake.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
The Retherford Saga is a prime example of PIAA overreach. His family moved… sold and bought property paid School Taxes to Benton School District. 10 years later lo and behold they still live there. I hate power hungry azzhats.
This still makes me mad. PIAA was corrupt and terrible way back then. Nothing changed and nothing will. They do what they want and unfortunately there is little we can do about it.

So which is it Brock....you agree or disagree with me???? LOL. You are like a teenage girl wirh your mood swings

And not so sure about the comment people 'like them'. I go to alot of events in PA, and after their court case throwing everyone under the bus, not so sure that is accurate.
Which events? We can meet up and I’ll get you that Cael autograph and a TWR shirt!

Here is the thing....if it was Bo/Jax posting this themselves, then I would blame it on kids being kids. But I think everyone is fully aware that Mr. Bassett runs Bo's social media, so it is him posting about his kid signing autographs, which is obnoxious/wierd if you ask me. Several other kids currently in HS with better resume's don't do this, so not sure why he thinks a Freshman is suddenly worthy as 'advertising' he is signing autographs, like he is Jordan Burroughs?

I sorta feel bad for the kid, because my limited interaction with him leads me to believe he isn't as obnxious as his (or his dad's) social media account. Dad is making this entire kid's life about wrestling, so hopefully this all works out, or else there is going to be a serious self-worth impact on young Bassett.

And to add levity to this---what would some of you be saying if this was an Iowa commit posting this nonesense, lol. I think I know the answer
You have no clue what you’re talking about and the Bassett family, including Bo, think you’re an idiot… Rambling on and on about people and families behind a fake screen name. You must be one lonely prick lol

You have no clue what you’re talking about and the Bassett family, including Bo, think you’re an idiot… Rambling on and on about people and families behind a fake screen name. You must be one lonely prick lol
giphy.gif

My libertarian side is screaming that this is horsecrackers; I really don't give a rat's posterior why a kid changes schools, they aren't vassals of the school district; and given what
I pay in property taxes, I don't want them in court asserting property rights of a human being.

I grew up about 45 minutes from Berwick, and the running joke in the George Curry glory days was if your kid was good at football, there's a job at Wise Potato Chips for dad.

D4 duals quarters are set at Milton on Saturday.
I want Benton to win, but I think it’s Warrior Runs year. Montgomery is young and all under class men.

D1 Faith Vs Bristol
D2 Honesdale Vs Lackawanna
D3 Berks Vs West Perry
D4 above
D5 Chestnut Ridge
D6 United, Bald Eagle, Huntingdon, penns valley
D7 burrel vs Burgettstown
D9 clarion va cranberry
D10 Reynolds
D11 NDGP vs Saucon

Can or has the PIAA rejected a homeschooled athlete transfer? Do the same rules apply?

Can or has the PIAA rejected a homeschooled athlete transfer? Do the same rules apply?
home school shouldn't matter since the the kid would register at the zip/area code they reside. Don't have to sit in a seat necessarily at the home school--but once you compete for the team, then I would think the PIAA 'clock' starts. So if the kid competed as home school athlete in his first year--and say transferred to a school the following season--the rule would still apply (if he/she transfers after starting his 10th grade year).

My libertarian side is screaming that this is horsecrackers; I really don't give a rat's posterior why a kid changes schools, they aren't vassals of the school district; and given what
I pay in property taxes, I don't want them in court asserting property rights of a human being.

I grew up about 45 minutes from Berwick, and the running joke in the George Curry glory days was if your kid was good at football, there's a job at Wise Potato Chips for dad.
Not saying i agree with not being able to transfer schools. But that is what the rules are, and when you try to push your luck transferring, you risk losing a season.

I mean even the most anti-PIAA people can hopefully see if you completely open borders, you are going to really skew the competitive playing field. You will build super-teams, and I promise you it will be the demise of the sport. Whether or not you all admit it, wrestling still survives on the local aspect of kids competing, and the local rivalry duals like in D11. The same people that want to allow open borders, are the same ones that complain about the NIL deals ruining college sports because the 'rich will become richer'.

Open borders would ruin the sport, if local teams can no longer be competitive in a sport the numbers will fall off and that sport will probably die in some schools, wrestling does not need anymore obstacles to keep it relevant in public schools which is the feeder to the sport at the next level.

Reactions: wrestlingmind
Not saying i agree with not being able to transfer schools. But that is what the rules are, and when you try to push your luck transferring, you risk losing a season.

I mean even the most anti-PIAA people can hopefully see if you completely open borders, you are going to really skew the competitive playing field. You will build super-teams, and I promise you it will be the demise of the sport. Whether or not you all admit it, wrestling still survives on the local aspect of kids competing, and the local rivalry duals like in D11. The same people that want to allow open borders, are the same ones that complain about the NIL deals ruining college sports because the 'rich will become richer'.
Your last sentence seems very contradictory. Shouldn’t it be that the people that want open borders are also the ones that should be fine with NIL and the “rich getting richer”. Seems like NIL and open borders do a similar thing in theory which is funneling top kids to just a handful of programs

None of this makes any sense but neither does having two state champs at every weight in an individual sport. Have AA and AAA for team titles and enforce transfer rules but combine everybody for individual titles and let everybody compete. If I had a kid and it was feasible to move so he could get better coaching, more exposure and a better shot at a scholarship of course I’d do it.
In the end it doesn’t just hurt the kids who can’t compete, it cheapens the idea of the whole competition. Kids diet to be “champs” but their victories are tainted because their parents/coaches used a technicality to get them their title.
How about this as a compromise? Hold the individual AA and AAA championships as is and call each winner a state champ, but then hold a dual meet style overall championship at the end of the tournament between the AA champs and AAA champs to get an overall champ for each class. I think you would create a great atmosphere for that with some elite level wrestling.

How about this as a compromise? Hold the individual AA and AAA championships as is and call each winner a state champ, but then hold a dual meet style overall championship at the end of the tournament between the AA champs and AAA champs to get an overall champ for each class. I think you would create a great atmosphere for that with some elite level wrestling.
Colorado used to do something like this but they for some reason have 5 classes instead of 2. After the state tournament they would have a tournament where the state champs from each class would wrestle to determine the “true” champ at each weight. People seemed to love it but for some reason it stopped happening years and years ago. I think that is a great idea for PA and would generate a ton of interest from the wrestlers themselves and also the public

Your last sentence seems very contradictory. Shouldn’t it be that the people that want open borders are also the ones that should be fine with NIL and the “rich getting richer”. Seems like NIL and open borders do a similar thing in theory which is funneling top kids to just a handful of programs
Wasn't directed at anyone on this board per say. Just a general comment on what I've read on other forums (mostly from smaller D1 schools), saying the NIL is going to ruin college wrestling. Just making a point that the NIL in college, is very similar to the open borders some are asking for. Not contradictory at all?

As for the border argument, while it appears by reading this forum and a handful of wrestling facebook pages that 'everyone' wants open borders, that is simply not true. I'd say the vast majority that I've spoken with in-person want super teams in their own division, or at least addressed by the PIAA. I'm on the fence, as I can see both sides. I actually like the 2-divisions in PA, and really like the idea above about a Champion tournament. Put Top-4 from each division in a bracket, and let them wrestle it out.

WOW. This is huge if the clock starts in 6th grade. But to be honest, I figured this was coming. I don't quite understand the first bullet point? Any details or explanation?
It means that some schools may be located within one PIAA District but choose to compete in another. It's rare, and typically when a school is close to the District border and most of its nearby rivals are in another.

Berwick is another example. In Columbia County, within D4 and 30 yrs ago was a D4 school. Sometime since, transferred to D2.

"Second reading" is PIAA procedure for rule considerations.

Disappointing seeding in D11 for the 3A tournament. They have (wisely) gone back to a seeding committee rather than using the straight power rating formula to seed teams for the duals. Schedules and competition level vary so wildly that it makes the most sense. This year, it's pretty clear that Bethlehem Catholic and Nazareth are going to cruise to the two state berths out of D11, but I think D11 missed an opportunity to have more interesting match ups in the bracket.

By power points, Pottsville was the top seed, followed by Becahi, Nazareth, Northampton, and Easton in that order. Pottsville is undefeated against their schedule and (even without Kunstek) has a very nice team. Northampton and Easton wrestled a great dual back in early January, with Northampton winning on criteria. Jody Karam at Easton had been lobbying publicly for the committee to seed that as one of the quarterfinals - I think it would have been very defensible to drop Pottsville to the #3 seed behind the two best teams, but leave Northampton and Easton at 4/5, and that would give you at least one great quarterfinal, Pottsville with a good match up with Parkland in another quarter, then Beca and Nazareth would cruise. Instead, they dropped Pottsville all the way to the #5, so it's a 4/5 match with Pottsville and #4 Easton, Northampton moved up to 3, and the event is kind of a skip in the early rounds. This matches with Jeff Upson's state rankings, which has Becahi, Nazareth, Northampton, and Easton all in the top 8.

The same two teams are going to advance, regardless, but selfishly as an Easton supporter, I was rooting for another crack at Northampton, and it would have been the most interesting dual of the tournament. It also would have been nice recognition for a really good year from Pottsville (and maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse and Pottsville will put it on Easton).

Sounds awesome, too bad the PIAA doesnt “allow” it, just like they only allow seniors at the Dapper Dan.

They used to have this as a dual to determine who wrestled in the Dapper Dan. Except it was highest placing senior in each division, so not necessarily champ vs champ

They used to have this as a dual to determine who wrestled in the Dapper Dan. Except it was highest placing senior in each division, so not necessarily champ vs champ
I was not used to determine who wrestled in the Dapper Dan.

When it first started it packed Rec Hall.
The year Kolat wrestled it was held in the State College gym.
I think the last year it was held in Chestnut Ridge gym.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT