ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone stayed in a Hotel that past couple months?

PennsylvaniaPride

Jan 4, 2002
How was the experience and did the hotel take additional steps to sanitize? I'm thinking about traveling via car to see some extended family during memorial day weekend!

How was the experience and did the hotel take additional steps to sanitize? I'm thinking about traveling via car to see some extended family during memorial day weekend!
I have a friend in the hotel
Management . They have taken the usual precautions . But hotels are largely empty AF

Reactions: jim cummings

My friend got stir crazy here in Delray Beach and went up to Hutchinson Island for a long weekend and said it was great. Limited numbers but still plenty of available rooms with a great deal staying on the beach

I have not but this is the latest....unlikely disease is being spread from much else other than human-to-human contact...(edit, I am platinum on Marriott and get a daily email telling me what they are doing to disinfect and clean their hotels, FWIW)

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says. But it still 'may be possible'.

I'm a Marriott guy myself....though not platinum status. I figure many hotels have been empty for awhile, so hopefully I can get a room that hasn't been occupied for some period of time.

Reactions: Obliviax
Was in a hotel last week from a driving not flying trip. Seems pretty easy to avoid people if you want, including waiting for an empty elevator if you prefer. All that I did different was wipe down all touch points in my room with a disinfecting wipe (door handles, light switches, REMOTE CONTROL) and I felt fine with it all. This is a habit I would probably start doing regardless myself. Air movement is individual to the room, so didn't have any great concerns.

I was working with a traveling service rep last week. He stayed at a Hampton, I believe. He said that eating was the worst part right now. They had brown bag continental breakfasts. The coffee and OJ machines were on. For dinner, he had to eat everything with plastic silverware. He tried to get a set at a Walmart or target, but they only sold big sets. Cutting a Longhorn steak with a plastic knife was his biggest gripe.

Reactions: BBrown
Was in a Hampton Inn for work just before things went nuclear in PA, and my room had a "we disinfect and deep clean!" notice and an air purifier. FWIW.

I was working with a traveling service rep last week. He stayed at a Hampton, I believe. He said that eating was the worst part right now. They had brown bag continental breakfasts. The coffee and OJ machines were on. For dinner, he had to eat everything with plastic silverware. He tried to get a set at a Walmart or target, but they only sold big sets. Cutting a Longhorn steak with a plastic knife was his biggest gripe.

I have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks and I'm staying at a Hampton and was wondering how they and others were dealing with the Breakfast and occasional dinner/snacks.

Reactions: Zenophile
I have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks and I'm staying at a Hampton and was wondering how they and others were dealing with the Breakfast and occasional dinner/snacks.

for dinner, i suggest googling a local pizza or chinese place as they are used to take out and easy to eat in your hotel room and relatively healthy.

Breakfast bag of muffin, apple etc.....

I have been to Philly multiple times in last 2 months and dinner you need to get to go.

My friend got stir crazy here in Delray Beach and went up to Hutchinson Island for a long weekend and said it was great. Limited numbers but still plenty of available rooms with a great deal staying on the beach

About 20+ years ago I used to travel to Boca a lot for work for about a three year stretch.. I used to stay at an old school Holiday Inn right on the beach in Delray, rather than the "business traveler" hotels in Boca. It was tired and worn back then but the location was spectacular.

Haven't been there in years and wondering if it is still there or if it was torn down and the property redeveloped.

Reactions: bwifan
About 20+ years ago I used to travel to Boca a lot for work for about a three year stretch.. I used to stay at an old school Holiday Inn right on the beach in Delray, rather than the "business traveler" hotels in Boca. It was tired and worn back then but the location was spectacular.

Haven't been there in years and wondering if it is still there or if it was torn down and the property redeveloped.
the marriott in Delray Beach was pretty great too!

Cutting a Longhorn steak with a plastic knife was his biggest gripe.
Never leave home without one..:rolleyes:
  • 7150hZ3nJRL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in

Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, Fieldmaster Pocket Knife

Strange, our local Walmart sells individual pieces of cutlery. Not the best stuff, but good enough in a pinch.

It's still there but no longer a Holiday Inn. It's owned by Marriott now and in fact they are completely redoing the place and rebranding it The Opal Resort and Spa. Incredible place to stay now as its a resort and spa. Highly recommend it should be done the final construction pretty soon.

https://www.opalgrand.com/

A small offshoot. Apple is building their 3 million square foot Austin campus beside my current office. They just amended the Plan and are adding a 192 room, 6 story hotel on campus and will be Apple controlled for their suppliers. It is for added assurance for covid weary Apple suppliers. Guessing that they may have better cleaning and spacing and xxx procedures They can certainly get ahead of any decisions that would slow down chains. They can also require their own rules as well (like 100% wearing masks, etc)

I just thought that it was an interesting concept.

I've been traveling a lot during the pandemic, and I've stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns. Almost every hotel I stayed at asked for proof I was an essential traveler, which I was prepared for. Most of the hotels are empty. I think they only are using so many rooms, and keep rotating them. As for rental cars, they rent you the car that has been sitting on the lot the longest, regardless of what I booked, because after 3 weeks no virus would still be alive.

I took a lot of essential, especially bottled water. That's the first thing I buy when I fly somewhere, so I avoided a trip to the grocery store. I had plenty of snacks and protein bars, but i generally didn't eat much of it. Pretty much every restaurant is open and doing take out, and the hotels had at a minimum a grab and go bag, some had more. Most don't have coffee, but one did.

I've been traveling a lot during the pandemic, and I've stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns. Almost every hotel I stayed at asked for proof I was an essential traveler, which I was prepared for. Most of the hotels are empty. I think they only are using so many rooms, and keep rotating them. As for rental cars, they rent you the car that has been sitting on the lot the longest, regardless of what I booked, because after 3 weeks no virus would still be alive.

I took a lot of essential, especially bottled water. That's the first thing I buy when I fly somewhere, so I avoided a trip to the grocery store. I had plenty of snacks and protein bars, but i generally didn't eat much of it. Pretty much every restaurant is open and doing take out, and the hotels had at a minimum a grab and go bag, some had more. Most don't have coffee, but one did.

Hmm. That could be an issue. I have my essential worker papers (issued by my German owned company, hows that for irony) but I doubt that would fly in PA.
Hopefully when I go, about 3 weeks from now. That won't be an issue.
I planned on calling and confirming anyway so I will specifically ask about that.
Thanks for the heads up.

Was in a Hampton Inn for work just before things went nuclear in PA, and my room had a "we disinfect and deep clean!" notice and an air purifier. FWIW.
Zeno, Was this notice hanging around your neck after discharge from the Inn?
Just kidding Zeno, but one day, this may be the scenario.
Godspeed as the English say, stay healthy. :confused: What the hell, I'm not English,
.......a zdravie Zeno. :D
'Bless you in Slovak'

Reactions: Zenophile
Been in hotels for about 17of the last 30 days Service is good food amenities are slim to nonexistent. But over all not bad. I’m currently in a hotel in Virginia Beach and there are more people now in the hotels than there were 30 days ago.

Question for the OP: Are we talking about hotels that rent rooms by the night or by the hour?

Reactions: psu7113
Zeno, Was this notice hanging around your neck after discharge from the Inn?
Just kidding Zeno, but one day, this may be the scenario.
Godspeed as the English say, stay healthy. :confused: What the hell, I'm not English,
.......a zdravie Zeno. :D
'Bless you in Slovak'
Salud, Step. Looking forward to a time when we can raise a glass in the shadow of Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: step.eng69
Hmm. That could be an issue. I have my essential worker papers (issued by my German owned company, hows that for irony) but I doubt that would fly in PA.
Hopefully when I go, about 3 weeks from now. That won't be an issue.
I planned on calling and confirming anyway so I will specifically ask about that.
Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t think it’ll be a problem, they just wanted to see that I had proof they didn’t examine it closely. But definitely ask in advance.

One of the Quality Inns in the Pittsburgh area allow at least three week free parking (rest 2 only), which we needed for our child care trip to Atlanta. No issues, seemed very clean! Back home since 5/20! Called pickup number at around 10:30 PM and told to go to door 8, van there. Appeared one van for all hotels at that hour, although we were the only ones on it!

Salud, Step. Looking forward to a time when we can raise a glass in the shadow of Beaver Stadium.
Too chilly in the shade at the Beaver, can we raise a glass in the sun light of Beaver stadium?

John and Linda, John is 86 and wrestled for Penn State in the 50's, Linda is also a grade. Both have been ushers at the stadium for many decades. John decided to hang it up in 2018 and got called back last year because it was difficult to find reliable persons.
IMG-2122.jpg

Yes, in a Philadelphia suburb (Bucks County). Sheraton hotel. I was working @ St Mary MC in Langhorne. Only about 22 rooms were occupied and the hotel had 15 floors. Sad. I did not feel unsafe from a medical standpoint. I am on the Marriott Bonvoy plan and am happy with their precautions.
Will be staying in hotels again in Philly area and D.C in next 4 weeks while working @ other med centers. I go forward doing my job, exercising hand hygiene , but most of all trusting the Lord to protect me. I have been working on & off since lockdowns. I cannot live in fear, just proceed with wisdom and not act foolishly.

I have not but this is the latest....unlikely disease is being spread from much else other than human-to-human contact...(edit, I am platinum on Marriott and get a daily email telling me what they are doing to disinfect and clean their hotels, FWIW)

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says. But it still 'may be possible'.
I am Titanium and have stayed in hotels. I have some of my own wipes and also take them up on only having one day of housekeeping if I stay the whole week. This greatly lessens exposure to others. I believe Marriott Bonvoy properties are safe.

Last edited:
Was in a hotel last week from a driving not flying trip. Seems pretty easy to avoid people if you want, including waiting for an empty elevator if you prefer. All that I did different was wipe down all touch points in my room with a disinfecting wipe (door handles, light switches, REMOTE CONTROL) and I felt fine with it all. This is a habit I would probably start doing regardless myself. Air movement is individual to the room, so didn't have any great concerns.
That is what I do. Occupancies are way down.

Too chilly in the shade at the Beaver, can we raise a glass in the sun light of Beaver stadium?

John and Linda, John is 86 and wrestled for Penn State in the 50's, Linda is also a grade. Both have been ushers at the stadium for many decades. John decided to hang it up in 2018 and got called back last year because it was difficult to find reliable persons.
IMG-2122.jpg
That's a whole lotta good lookin. Sunlight it is.
cheers.jpg

I am Titanium and have stayed in hotels. I have some of my own wipes and also take them up on only having one day of housekeeping if I stay the whole week. This greatly lessens exposure to others. I believe Marriott Bonvoy properties are safe.
Since now we find that the virus doesn’t spread from intact with surfaces, pretty much all the properties are safe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT