ADVERTISEMENT

Hack to get around 15 plays tonight

What has always bugged me is a) Franklin fired his OC b) Hack never said anything bad about CJF that I am aware of and c) Other players were highly critical of PSU's offense.

PSU had a horrible OL when hack was under center. Everybody's favorite writer that broke down game film (now with the Pats) said that this was the worst OL in the Power 5, and perhaps ever in the Power 5. Bad OL, fired OC....not hard to wonder why Hack was frustrated. In the end, I am glad he came here as he was one of the sustaining forces during sanctions. But he made a mistake, he'd have been better off someplace else for his personal growth and aspirations. Having said that, he made several millions dollars. Not a bad way to start your post college career.

No, no. You're supposed to trash Hackenberg because he owed us better play. He owed us. He disappointed us who deserved so much for watching the games, so screw him.

:eek:

What has always bugged me is a) Franklin fired his OC b) Hack never said anything bad about CJF that I am aware of and c) Other players were highly critical of PSU's offense.

PSU had a horrible OL when hack was under center. Everybody's favorite writer that broke down game film (now with the Pats) said that this was the worst OL in the Power 5, and perhaps ever in the Power 5. Bad OL, fired OC....not hard to wonder why Hack was frustrated. In the end, I am glad he came here as he was one of the sustaining forces during sanctions. But he made a mistake, he'd have been better off someplace else for his personal growth and aspirations. Having said that, he made several millions dollars. Not a bad way to start your post college career.

But at the same time you get people who refuse to acknowledge his shortcomings as a QB. He just wasn’t good. The line was brutal. The playcalling was not great, but what play do you call with that line? On top of that, the QB play was bad. I could get why Hackenberg was frustrated, but I could also get why everybody around him would have been frustrated with him.

But at the same time you get people who refuse to acknowledge his shortcomings as a QB. He just wasn’t good. The line was brutal. The playcalling was not great, but what play do you call with that line? On top of that, the QB play was bad. I could get why Hackenberg was frustrated, but I could also get why everybody around him would have been frustrated with him.
Agree...but also, check who he was throwing too. While they turned out to be good WRs in the end, the WR's were true Fr and true Sophs at the time. Route running was also a challenge. Just a bad offense all the way around.

No, no. You're supposed to trash Hackenberg because he owed us better play. He owed us. He disappointed us who deserved so much for watching the games, so screw him.

Right....CJF gets a pass because of sanctions and nobody else does!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Last night was a tough one to watch, I've always rooted for the guy, but like others have said, that very well could have been his last game in the NFL. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB. Maybe it's his mental state, maybe he's just become uncoachable. I cant thank the guy enough for what he did at the darkest time in the program's history though.

"Playing alot" doesn't make you a better player. This isn't High school JV team. This is his third year of professional football. At this point, you are, what you are. Holy crap the excuses I'm hearing...amazing. Also, the CFL is just past their mid point in the season, nobody is looking to sign anyone right now.

Look, it's over. It's time to get on with life's work, and a Penn State degree on top of that. Young man is going to be just fine. Bright future, lovely wife, etc...Everybody doesn't make it in the NFL.

"Playing alot" doesn't make you a better player. This isn't High school JV team. This is his third year of professional football. At this point, you are, what you are. Holy crap the excuses I'm hearing...amazing. Also, the CFL is just past their mid point in the season, nobody is looking to sign anyone right now.

Look, it's over. It's time to get on with life's work, and a Penn State degree on top of that. Young man is going to be just fine. Bright future, lovely wife, etc...Everybody doesn't make it in the NFL.
telling the truth like this will never get you very far in politics- so keep your day job

Hack was smart not to transfer. If he had transferred, there is no guarantee that he would start.
And if he doesn’t start at his new team, he probably doesn’t get drafted in the second round and get the big contract.
Hack has all the physical skills but his game is a mess. He is far from being an NFL QB.
But there is no shame failing to make it as a QB in the NFL, so few do.
And we all make mistakes especially when we are young and not headed and so did Hack but he apologized and made things right with CJF.
I wish Hack all the best and I’m glad he was a Nittany Lion. And I will cheer for him when he comes back for games.

I was really pulling for him last night but for whatever reason it never clicked. No shame in that, he made it to the NFL which is pretty rarefied air. Best of luck to him and as other have mentioned he has a nice chunk of change in the bank and a good head on his shoulders - he should do well in life.

Agree...but also, check who he was throwing too. While they turned out to be good WRs in the end, the WR's were true Fr and true Sophs at the time. Route running was also a challenge. Just a bad offense all the way around.

Agreed. But the issue comes up when people try to excuse Hackenberg’s performance by using all of the other factors for the reason why he was not good. The line wasn’t good, but he still couldn’t sense the pressure. The line wasn’t good, but he still refused to leave the pocket and run. The receivers may not have been great, but he was still sailing balls over their heads.
I don’t know, I may be wrong. I just think the perceived anti-Hackenberg sentiment is really just people trying to bring reality to the Hackenberg excuse makers.

Last edited:
I was really pulling for him last night but for whatever reason it never clicked. No shame in that, he made it to the NFL which is pretty rarefied air. Best of luck to him and as other have mentioned he has a nice chunk of change in the bank and a good head on his shoulders - he should do well in life.
Right...tons of good QB's in college don't make it in the NFL. Just a totally different situation and a ton of NFL GM's have lost their jobs drafting QB's that don't make it. For example, the best QB from that draft may well end up being Dak Prescott who went in the 4th round, the 8th QB taken in that draft (Wentz, to me, is a ? based on his major injury).

Agreed. But the issue comes up when people try to excuse Hackenberg’s performance by using all of the other factors for the reason why he was not good. The line wasn’t good, but he still could sense the pressure. The line wasn’t good, but he still refused to leave the pocket and run. The receivers may not have been great, but he was still sailing balls over their heads.
I don’t know, I may be wrong. I just think the perceived anti-Hackenberg sentiment is really just people trying to bring reality to the Hackenberg excuse makers.
Well, one can argue just about anything. Hack was much better his true Frosh year when he had a better OL and at least one great WR. He was also pretty good down the field on longer throws (but never had the time). He was awful on short passes. Problem was he needed time to throw downfield so staff called short plays, which he was awful at throwing. The other issue is that Gesiki couldn't catch a cold his Soph year (Hack's Jr. year). #88 dropped a ton of key passes.

So, in Hack's shoes, you don't have time to throw deep (your strength). You are bad at throwing short. Your WR's are true Fr and So. And you TE has a case of the dropsies (not sure he dropped a ball once his Jr and Sr years). Oh yeah, we had an under-sized RB who wasn't adept at picking up blitzes.

Reactions: 81b&w
how did he "dis" CJF? the only thing I am aware of is that he forgot to thank CJF when he was leaving....he since said he just forgot and thanked him publicly.
You really think he forgot when he thanked everyone including the stadium seat ushers?

You really think he forgot when he thanked everyone including the stadium seat ushers?
I think you are over-thinking it. These are 21 year old kids. He thanked the OC Donovan, IIRC. Why not the hate for Donovan Smith?

I think you are over-thinking it. These are 21 year old kids. He thanked Donovan, IIRC. Why not the hate for Donovan Smith?
I said I don't have any hate. I support PSU guys always and would be very happy if Hack did well, though that doesn't look to be in the cards. Yeah, he was 21, but I'm certain that when you or I were 21 we wouldn't "forget" to thank the head coach, even if it was perfunctory.

Reactions: Obliviax
Tough night for Hack
Quarterback Christian Hackenberg saw his first action with the Eagles since being signed nearly three weeks ago. The thinking when they signed him was that maybe he would wind up on the practice squad, where they could see whether he might be a potential candidate to be the No. 3 quarterback next season after Nick Foles leaves. But he did little against the Jets to give them reason to want to do that. He scrambled for more than 60 yards, but turned the ball over three times, including a pair of interceptions.

I said I don't have any hate. I support PSU guys always and would be very happy if Hack did well, though that doesn't look to be in the cards. Yeah, he was 21, but I'm certain that when you or I were 21 we wouldn't "forget" to thank the head coach, even if it was perfunctory.
I don't think he "forgot", but he was 21 and he had pretty much been told to go try the NFL, he was no doubt more than a little unsettled by the whole experience. Who can blame him, really?

There are two other USA pro football leagues starting up. XFL starts in 2020, and AAF in Feb. 2019. I would expect Hack to be on an AAF team as he does have experience and his main competition will be undrafted college QBs.

Hack contributed to the ridiculous notion that James Franklin couldn't develop skill position talent. You can see the "evaluator" bought into it. Of course, Franklin (if we're going to blame him for Hack's struggles, I guess he gets all the credit for McSorley's success, right?) turned lightly recruited McSorley into Penn State's all time leading passer and a Heisman Trophy candidate.

But Hack and all his fanboys have always pointed to everyone else (Franklin, the offensive line, Donovan, the offensive system, etc) for all his struggles.

He is not accurate throwing the football. He has a poor feel in the pocket. He is a bad quarterback.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ackenberg-james-franklin-penn-state-nfl-draft

Former Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg told multiple NFL teams that James Franklin was to blame for his struggles as a sophomore and junior, according to a report from Sports Illustrated's Robert Klemko.

Per two personnel sources on two separate teams who have shown interest in drafting Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg, the quarterback has said all the wrong things in interviews when asked to explain his declining sophomore and junior numbers (a combined 28 touchdowns and 21 interceptions). Hackenberg has shifted blame to coach James Franklin, who took over in 2014 when coach Bill O’Brien departed for the Texans. Said one evaluator: "Despite the fact that it’s probably true, you don’t want to hear a kid say that."

Hack contributed to the ridiculous notion that James Franklin couldn't develop skill position talent. You can see the "evaluator" bought into it. Of course, Franklin (if we're going to blame him for Hack's struggles, I guess he gets all the credit for McSorley's success, right?) turned lightly recruited McSorley into Penn State's all time leading passer and a Heisman Trophy candidate.

But Hack and all his fanboys have always pointed to everyone else (Franklin, the offensive line, Donovan, the offensive system, etc) for all his struggles.

He is not accurate throwing the football. He has a poor feel in the pocket. He is a bad quarterback.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ackenberg-james-franklin-penn-state-nfl-draft

Former Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg told multiple NFL teams that James Franklin was to blame for his struggles as a sophomore and junior, according to a report from Sports Illustrated's Robert Klemko.

Per two personnel sources on two separate teams who have shown interest in drafting Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg, the quarterback has said all the wrong things in interviews when asked to explain his declining sophomore and junior numbers (a combined 28 touchdowns and 21 interceptions). Hackenberg has shifted blame to coach James Franklin, who took over in 2014 when coach Bill O’Brien departed for the Texans. Said one evaluator: "Despite the fact that it’s probably true, you don’t want to hear a kid say that."
I throw that into the bucket called 'the press trying to stir things up'. Hack could have simply stated, when asked why his performance suffered after the first year "hey, we had depleted personnel, we had an OC that was fired, and Coach Franklin recognized the offensive problems but too late." Again, why the hate for Hack and everyone seems to give the other former PSU players that were critical of the program at that time a complete pass.

Again, why the hate for Hack

HOW MANY F*CKING TIMES ARE YOU MORONS GOING TO ASK THIS?

NO ONE "HATES" HACKENBERG. HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE NFL, WHICH HAS BEEN DISASTROUS, SHOWS JUST HOW BAD A QUARTERBACK HE IS. ALL OF THE EXCUSES THROWN OUT FOR HIS PERFORMANCE DURING HIS TIME AT PENN STATE TURN OUT TO BE JUST THAT. EXCUSES.

AND HIS THANKING EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION INCLUDING THE BALL BOYS AND POINTEDLY NOT JAMES FRANKLIN, AND THEN BLAMING FRANKLIN FOR HIS OWN POOR PLAY IN INTERVIEWS, SHOWS A LACK OF CHARACTER.

THAT IS WHY HE IS CRITICIZED. THAT IS WHY WHEN HE PLAYS POORLY, IT ONCE AGAIN SHOWS THAT HE IS THE BIGGEST DRIVER IN HIS LACK OF PRODUCTION WHILE AT PENN STATE.

NO NEED TO ASK THAT QUESTION AGAIN. YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER FOR THE FIVE THOUSANDTH TIME.

NO ONE "HATES" HACKENBERG. HIS PERFORMANCE IN THE NFL, WHICH HAS BEEN DISASTROUS, SHOWS JUST HOW BAD A QUARTERBACK HE IS. ALL OF THE EXCUSES THROWN OUT FOR HIS PERFORMANCE DURING HIS TIME AT PENN STATE TURN OUT TO BE JUST THAT. EXCUSES.

AND HIS THANKING EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION INCLUDING THE BALL BOYS AND POINTEDLY NOT JAMES FRANKLIN, AND THEN BLAMING FRANKLIN FOR HIS OWN POOR PLAY IN INTERVIEWS, SHOWS A LACK OF CHARACTER.

THAT IS WHY HE IS CRITICIZED. THAT IS WHY WHEN HE PLAYS POORLY, IT ONCE AGAIN SHOWS THAT HE IS THE BIGGEST DRIVER IN HIS LACK OF PRODUCTION WHILE AT PENN STATE.

NO NEED TO ASK THAT QUESTION AGAIN. YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER FOR THE FIVE THOUSANDTH TIME.
giphy-downsized.gif

Seems like there is a lot of emotion and hate in there, especially since you seem to say he just didn't play football up to your standards. On the criticism from the rest of the players, still waiting for the "hate" for them.

This is exactly how I feel about Hackenberg. Well done my friend.

How can someone say they don't hate Hackenberg when they cannot resist criticizing him at every opportunity?

DISASTROUS. :eek:

POINTEDLY. :eek:

Penn State's offense was dreadful for a few years. That wasn't all on Hackenberg.

I still have seen no direct evidence that there is animosity between Hackenberg and Franklin.

How about just saying, "It's unfortunate that Hackenberg didn't pan out, but he's still a Penn Stater, and I wish him the best in whatever he does"?

How can someone say they don't hate Hackenberg when they cannot resist criticizing him at every opportunity?

DISASTROUS. :eek:

POINTEDLY. :eek:

Penn State's offense was dreadful for a few years. That wasn't all on Hackenberg.

I still have seen no direct evidence that there is animosity between Hackenberg and Franklin.

How about just saying, "It's unfortunate that Hackenberg didn't pan out, but he's still a Penn Stater, and I wish him the best in whatever he does"?

I don't "hate" anyone. Except Hitler. He pisses me off.

Why should Hackenberg be above criticism? Criticism doesn't equal hate. We are learning more as time goes on and the record is getting corrected.

The people who were WRONG about Hackenberg are using this "hate" straw man to shut down discussion. Too bad. I heard two years worth of blame going to Franklin for Hack's performance. Turns out that was horseshit.

Last edited:
I don't "hate" anyone. Except Hitler. He pisses me off.

Why should Hackenberg be above criticism? Criticism doesn't equal hate. We are learning more as time goes on and the record is getting corrected.

The people who were WRONG about Hackenberg are using this "hate" straw man to shut down discussion. Too bad. I heard two years worth of blame going to Franklin for Hack's performance. Turns out that was horseshit.

Come on, Judge. It's not about Hackenberg being above criticism. I have criticized him. Most here have. However, football is a complex game. Penn State's offensive woes were not due to one factor. It wasn't all Hackenberg. It wasn't all the offensive line. There were myriad issues.

Could Hackenberg have benefited from better protection from the offensive line? Obviously. Could Penn State's offense have benefited from Hackenberg handling pressure better and being more accurate? Obviously.

Franklin fired Donovan, so it's fair to conclude that Franklin wasn't satisfied with his performance. It, therefore, is fair to ask whether Penn State's offense would have benefited from a different offensive coordinator. Thus, it is fair to conclude that Donovan was part of the problem.

The offense was a mess during those years. Hackenberg wasn't anywhere near the entire problem.

It is one thing to criticize Hackenberg for his obvious flaws. However, it is something else completely to vehemently attack him any time he is discussed here. You do the latter. It is obvious. We all see it. You come off as bitter as though he owed you something. He didn't.

Hackenberg did not live up to his 5-star billing coming out of high school. It happens. A lot of kids do not pan out. It isn't a crime. It just is what it is. I am not going to show ill-will towards Hackenberg for not being as good a football player as I would like him to have been. He represented Penn State well and still gave us many exciting moments.

Let's just give it a rest already.

Come on, Judge. It's not about Hackenberg being above criticism. I have criticized him. Most here have. However, football is a complex game. Penn State's offensive woes were not due to one factor. It wasn't all Hackenberg. It wasn't all the offensive line. There were myriad issues.

Could Hackenberg have benefited from better protection from the offensive line? Obviously. Could Penn State's offense have benefited from Hackenberg handling pressure better and being more accurate? Obviously.

Franklin fired Donovan, so it's fair to conclude that Franklin wasn't satisfied with his performance. It, therefore, is fair to ask whether Penn State's offense would have benefited from a different offensive coordinator. Thus, it is fair to conclude that Donovan was part of the problem.

The offense was a mess during those years. Hackenberg wasn't anywhere near the entire problem.

It is one thing to criticize Hackenberg for his obvious flaws. However, it is something else completely to vehemently attack him any time he is discussed here. You do the latter. It is obvious. We all see it. You come off as bitter as though he owed you something. He didn't.

Hackenberg did not live up to his 5-star billing coming out of high school. It happens. A lot of kids do not pan out. It isn't a crime. It just is what it is. I am not going to show ill-will towards Hackenberg for not being as good a football player as I would like him to have been. He represented Penn State well and still gave us many exciting moments.

Let's just give it a rest already.

These Hack threads....
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: LionJim

I agree with much of what you said, and Hack took a shot at the Jets coaches too after he was cut.
And let’s face facts, he’s not a good QB.
But I do give him credit for not being so pig headed to be able to patch things up with Franklin, and that’s good enough for me.

Reactions: psu2016
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT