ADVERTISEMENT

Hack to get around 15 plays tonight

Derrick Gunn is reporting that the Eagles are looking to get Hackenberg in for around 15 plays, perhaps two or three series tonight. They need to figure out what they have and whether Hack can play a backup role for them.

Nice!

JC, it will be at the end of the game. The kid has been there for one week and running scout team sets...

Any word on Foles? I'm in MA and the only coverage here is on the Cheatriots station

Foles appears to be fine but he didn’t return after the fumble. Sudfield has played well but there were lots of dropped passes by receivers. With 2 minutes remaining in 3rd qtr, Hack has yet to take a snap. 34-14 Pats so far.

Foles appears to be fine but he didn’t return after the fumble. Sudfield has played well but there were lots of dropped passes by receivers. With 2 minutes remaining in 3rd qtr, Hack has yet to take a snap. 34-14 Pats so far.
thanks- you have no idea how bad these NE announcers are, bitching about any call that goes against them, and kissing Brady's butt constantly- I want to puke

Reactions: N&B4PSU
If that was lowering the head on the NE DB, get ready for a season of brutal penalties.

thanks- you have no idea how bad these NE announcers are, bitching about any call that goes against them, and kissing Brady's butt constantly- I want to puke

I feel you. I do a lot of business in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. The die hards are unbearable even after last season. They have a play-by-play excuse why they got robbed in the SB.
I am a passive Eagles fan and really don't give a crap, but I can not tell you how many meetings start out about: holding calls, pass interference, and offensive offsides, etc. I couldn't care less. Literally it is an hour of Patriots talk each time in 8 different companies (with the exception of the two Maine outfits. They are Pat's fans but hate people from Massachusetts.)

I wonder if the injury to Foles altered the plans. Sudefield played most of the remainder of the game. Callahan played the last series, and Hack did not take any snaps.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I feel you. I do a lot of business in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. The die hards are unbearable even after last season. They have a play-by-play excuse why they got robbed in the SB.
I am a passive Eagles fan and really don't give a crap, but I can not tell you how many meetings start out about: holding calls, pass interference, and offensive offsides, etc. I couldn't care less. Literally it is an hour of Patriots talk each time in 8 different companies (with the exception of the two Maine outfits. They are Pat's fans but hate people from Massachusetts.)
yep- I grew up in Maine- we do not like Massholes at all

The part of the game I saw Sudfeld looked pretty good. And he was #3, or #2 if Foles is hurt bad, which doesn't look to be the case. So Hack needs to showcase for other teams, which is tough when you don't get on the field.

Re. the helmet penalty thing, there was a pass play tonight, and I think it was in the PHI game, where a DB made the tackle, and if you were showed a video of it you'd say "That's a textbook example of how you should tackle" and still the DB got a flag for using the helmet. The head-bone is connected to the shoulder-bone. You can't hit someone with your shoulder without your head being nearby.

I'm curious about this head-hitting thingee. Has the nfl decided it's to be a competition between the kneelers vs the referines as to who can kill the NFL faster?

The kneelers had this in the bag, but having seen the goods, i'm all in on the referines... in the bag.

If this carrieas over to the regular season [remember, many said it'd be on the books but go largely uneneforced... heh], you can kiss watching the nfl adios.

Reactions: PS4814
We saw how that new rule is going to play out. All a ball carrier has to do is tuck his head before contact, and he'll draw a flag.

Good god if they call this many penalties on lowering the helmet during the regular season there's no point in playing the damn games. Just play 7v7 w/no pads.

+100. They’ve now made a worse rule that the catch rule from last year. Kudos.:rolleyes:

Foles getting hurt may have changed the Eagles plan to play Hack, because if it is serious and he cannot start the season, and Wentz cannot start the season, it'll force Sudfeld into the starting job and so he needs to get as many reps as he can get.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I just wish we could fast forward a year or two and show him, happy, healthy, and working a good job or running a successful business, starting his new life.

During The Steelers/Packers game one of The Steelers DBs got flagged for lowering his helmet when he never hit the receiver with his helmet, but his shoulder. This rule is going to ruin the game because the referees have no idea what they are looking at.

Reactions: wbcincy and N&B4PSU
Eagles might struggle this year. All that off season partying and lack of working out after winning it all can really take the edge off

What a stupid post. And where exactly did you get your information that they weren’t working out?
well what I heard was, the Eagles will be like the 3 HS in VA and just drop football this year.

During The Steelers/Packers game one of The Steelers DBs got flagged for lowering his helmet when he never hit the receiver with his helmet, but his shoulder. This rule is going to ruin the game because the referees have no idea what they are looking at.

Yep. For several years I've only watched the NFL on thanksgiving and the superbowl. I had hoped to watch a few more games this year mainly because Saquon. If these kinds of calls continue throughout the season it certainly won't help me follow through with that plan.

I'm curious about this head-hitting thingee. Has the nfl decided it's to be a competition between the kneelers vs the referines as to who can kill the NFL faster?

The kneelers had this in the bag, but having seen the goods, i'm all in on the referines... in the bag.

If this carrieas over to the regular season [remember, many said it'd be on the books but go largely uneneforced... heh], you can kiss watching the nfl adios.

The parallels to NASCAR are striking. NASCAR had dead drivers, so they added restrictor plates, races got boring, so they allowed ground effects, that made races exciting but then Earnhardt died, so they really got serious about safety and now NASCAR is almost unwatchable and has lost more than half of its fan base. Some fans leave because they don't want to see another driver die, other fans leave because it's just not worth it watching cars drive 80 mph under caution flag for half of the race.

I love football, and hitting has always been a big part of what makes the game so exciting. But if hitting is basically killing a lot of these guys by the time they get to their 40s and 50s.... it's a classic dilemma. Ignoring the brain damage and premature deaths, and you lose a lot of the fan base. But take hitting out of football, you also lose a lot of the fan base.

And for NCAA it's even more of dilemma than the NFL. There is just no way to rationalize having kids attend college supposedly to get smarter, and then give them scholarships to literally bash their brains in to entertain a stadium full of fans.

They simply have to make the game safer. But it's not going to be the same game, and maybe not even close to the same game.

Reactions: stf110 and N&B4PSU
A couple weeks ago the nfl ref(s) had a meeting with the Eagles about the new rules... and from the Eagles POV, neither they nor the nfl had any clue how things were going to be called.

The consensus was it was all window dressing and the game would look the same.

Well, it doesn't. Now whether it will continue into the regular season remains to be seen, but it's not looking good.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT