ADVERTISEMENT

Game day tips

burnsie1983

Nov 5, 2013
I was just given tickets to Saturday's game, it will be my first time attending. I plan on being in State College a few hours before kickoff, and I would love to hear any tips or advice on what I should see and do pre game, thanks in advance! Beyond excited to be attending!

Enjoy it and make sure to take it all in. The first time witnessing a Game-day at Penn State it is truly something special that you will remember forever.

I've never seen the team's arrival to the stadium, but I know it's definitely something to see, I would recommend doing that.

Last edited:
You are cheating yourself by arriving so late. Get up early to avoid traffic arrive at the stadium by 10 30. Take the whole thing in.
Due to a couple of factors out of my control, I won't be able to get there that early, sadly. We plan on leaving Northeast Bradford County by 9, so hopefully we'll be in State College by noon. Just going to make the most of whatever time I have.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I always enjoy a short walk downtown before or after the game. Before, there is a lot of activity with cheerleaders and former players. A great time to get some gear and have an awesome meal/pizza. Its just a good game-day vibe. Post game, ~ 7:00, it gets a bit more party like if we win, angry if we lose. As someone said, the creamery but be prepared for a long wait. There is also some good food (food trucks) now between the stadium and arena. Finally, a visit to the minor league ballpark and the PSU hall of fame is fun. But given your schedule, I'd park and try to get into a tailgate. Or, park and take a long walk to the town, then back, before the game starts. Don't forget, can't take much into the stadium anymore (not even an umbrella or purse).

I've never seen the team's arrival to the stadium, but I know it's definitely something to see, I would recommend doing that.

Especially since for this Homecoming game there is an extra bus that will be filled with Lettermen, and this bus will lead the team. I'm also assuming the Lettermen on the bus will exit their bus first and then lead the team into the stadium.

Another point of advice is that you need a plan for where you are going to park in order to cut down (hopefully) on the wasted time getting parked. Traffic control has been pretty poor so far this year..

Reactions: Nitwit
Make sure you wear the correct color for the section you are sitting in. There is a stripe out this game. Always looks cool on the tele.

Especially since for this Homecoming game there is an extra bus that will be filled with Lettermen, and this bus will lead the team. I'm also assuming the Lettermen on the bus will exit their bus first and then lead the team into the stadium.

Another point of advice is that you need a plan for where you are going to park in order to cut down (hopefully) on the wasted time getting parked. Traffic control has been pretty poor so far this year..

Make sure you wear the correct color for the section you are sitting in. There is a stripe out this game. Always looks cool on the tele.

Got that covered, we're in ECU, which is a blue section. I have a yellow parking pass, any advice on which lot to aim for...there are so many...

You said you are coming from Bradford County so I'm assuming you will be coming in on 99 from 80. You can follow 99 until you see the signs for parking and just follow them in. If you do that you will more than likely end up in lot 20 or 21. Your other option would be to get off of 99 and come in by the Airport. This will bring you in on Fox Hollow and you will end up in Lot 19.

From my experience this season coming in by the airport seems to be a better option both entering and leaving.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well. Most importantly... have fun!!!

Reactions: burnsie1983
I was able to rearrange my schedule and now plan on arriving in State college mid morning. Really looking forward to the trip.
Definitely go downtown and walk college Ave and pick up some new gear and take in the sights! Go by Old Main and walk back to the stadium for some tailgating and then after the game the creamery is a must do....but as others have said long wait.....but worth it!

Isn't the HOF/sports museum closed on gamedays?

What time will the team buses arrive for a 3:30 p.m. game?

A friend of mine and Clemson season ticket holder is making his first trip to Happy Valley so thanks for the info.

Well, the stripeout and homecoming festivities were really really fun. The end of the game was pretty heartbreaking, but as much as i hate to say it, the team/coaches (and maybe the refs) all played a part in making the comeback possible. They definitely let a very winnable game slip away.

I arrived pretty early, took in some sights around campus. We caught some of the btn broadcast, and watched the team arrival (was pretty sweet to high five Franco Harris). Met Cam Sullivan-Browns family...heard some great stuff about CJF and what he did during that recruitment. Went back to our vehicle to tailgate for a bit and made it back to the stadium about 45 mins before kick-off. Really enjoyable day, minus that last 20 seconds or so.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Sounds like you had a great time right up until the end. Much like the rest of us. Hopefully this won't be your only trip to Happy Valley!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT