ADVERTISEMENT

NLC Donations

iamlion

Jun 24, 2001
Just got my season ticket invoice for next year. Have had Section NG tickets for a number of years, and would willingly pay the $100 donation per ticket annually to the NLC. Apparently, the minimum donation requirement just went up to $200 per ticket annually for anywhere in the lower deck. They tell me that they lowered the ticket prices slightly to make it more acceptable. Now I have to decide whether I'm better off keeping my tickets and trying to get the money back by charging more for the games that I can't attend, or just buying single game tickets for the couple of good games on the schedule. I realize everything is going up, but as I get older, it gets harder to justify the ever-increasing costs of attending PSU football games in person. And being made to feel guilty because I am not contributing enough to NIL funds. I love Penn State football, but season tickets have definitely hit the luxury status, especially with the costs of lodging in State College on game weekends.

Had seasons from 2003-10. Then 2 years ago. The trade offs are definitely getting more challenging.

I just committed to a West Point weekend w 3 other PSU grads. Now we are thinking about one of the big PSU games or maybe going to Texas A&M at South Carolina. One of the guys lives down there w a daughter who graduated from USCE. Apparently they tailgate in railroad cars.

PSU football is one of the loves of my life. The financials are what they are. Math doesn't lie. I may end up doing a day trip to one of $25 games and see the Gamecocks.

There was a time I would never consider other trips in leiu of a PSU game. I used to do one road game a year too. Times change and the game is changing. I'm trying to take in all I can before I lose complete interest.

Last edited:
its bull, of course the crooks will not tell you how much each game ticket cost is. and their smoke and mirror "we lowered some of the game prices" lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bend over

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Thank you for sharing this. I am in WJ and noticed as well

Do you know if they raised donations in any other sections? (WD, WF?) and how much?

Do you know how much ticket prices were lowered?

Parking at $120 a game (lot 37) is very reasonable. I now sell parking easier than tickets.

I thought it would have been nice to be notified of the price changes but I’m probably a jerk for asking that…

I have 4 tickets in NG and was surprised by increases in parking and NLC donations doubling. I have mixed feelings. On one hand I still enjoy the experience. On the other I wouldn’t mind the increase if the team would’ve made the playoffs once or twice in the last 7 or 8 seasons. I feel I’m getting swindled.

Reactions: beachouse and cment
Wait until you see the prices after the stadium renovations. There are going to be a lot of unhappy ticket holders when that day arrives.
That’s probably part of the reason for the increases now. Gonna cost hundreds of millions. And fans have been screaming for for years so it’s part of the deal.

It is certainly expensive but it is also supply and demand/free market at work. People are willing to pay.

Will most likely see fewer season ticket holders but that will allow people to go to games that normally don’t. Broadening the base.

Penn State not only has a huge alumni base, and a state wide fan base but has also developed a national following. The White Out is a huge draw for all sports fans and has made even other games desirable to attend.

That’s probably part of the reason for the increases now. Gonna cost hundreds of millions. And fans have been screaming for for years so it’s part of the deal.

It is certainly expensive but it is also supply and demand/free market at work. People are willing to pay.

Will most likely see fewer season ticket holders but that will allow people to go to games that normally don’t. Broadening the base.

Penn State not only has a huge alumni base, and a state wide fan base but has also developed a national following. The White Out is a huge draw for all sports fans and has made even other games desirable to attend.
As many Season Ticket Holders age widening the base is critical. The "Recent Grad" NLC category makes sense on so many levels.

The situation could end up like The Flyers. The "sold out mentality" of needing to have season tickets to secure the best games/locations, and then needing to have a Season Ticket Holder connection to obtain the better seats for non premium games is paramount.

The Flyers used to sell a Season Ticket at below face value so that STHs actually MADE $ on friend to friend sales at "face" without "scalping". With all of the seat licenses, NLC donations, NIL and other add ons it is hard to see this ever turning around.

Once single game tickets to premium games are available then the tradeoff is only seat location. With variable pricing by the Athletic Dept the Michigan/OSU games were over $200 for the worst seats at face direct from the university.

Having $25 "flash sales" for under selling MAC opponents does enable others to attend- but if the Flyers are an example- there are perpetual "holes" with open seats- many in the premium priced areas.

The online ticket resale market changes everything. Those with the cash who only want a premium game can get what they want. Those who day trip to games will always be able to obtain tickets at maybe more favorable rates than the Scalper Legion out of Philly would provide (I often saw those guys at the Sheetz in Dauphin on the way up).

The best thing for State is to win football games. Demand rises with victories. The Flyers decline in performance crushed their ticket base. PSUs lack of Top 10 wins is similar to the Orange and Black's limited post season success (when they got in).

I tried to get my crew to buy PSU seasons this year and nobody else was in. Most cited Franklin as their reason why- with no hope for a championship and maddeningly poor performance in the top games.

Maybe the carrot of a potential home playoff game will turn the tide. At this point PSU is like Comcast Cable- milking their current customers for all they've got. When the next change comes they can market improved seats, amenities etc.

Many on the old forum had become tv only guys- and loved going on vacations with the savings. As I age I understand their rationale more and more.

Just got my season ticket invoice for next year. Have had Section NG tickets for a number of years, and would willingly pay the $100 donation per ticket annually to the NLC. Apparently, the minimum donation requirement just went up to $200 per ticket annually for anywhere in the lower deck. They tell me that they lowered the ticket prices slightly to make it more acceptable. Now I have to decide whether I'm better off keeping my tickets and trying to get the money back by charging more for the games that I can't attend, or just buying single game tickets for the couple of good games on the schedule. I realize everything is going up, but as I get older, it gets harder to justify the ever-increasing costs of attending PSU football games in person. And being made to feel guilty because I am not contributing enough to NIL funds. I love Penn State football, but season tickets have definitely hit the luxury status, especially with the costs of lodging in State College on game weekends.
Everything is going up. Scholarship costs; Costs of Attendance; etc. Until someone gets their arms around tuition, NIL, etc, we have to “play” or we’ll fall behind.

College football and Penn State football will decline going forward. I don't see younger folks taking the place of the Joe Pa legions. The attendance base looks thin. The lesser games are awful. Many older people go for the tradition and drinking. Younger folks, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz

I believe OSU was #1 in revenue and charges most in Big 10 for football tickets.

There have been rumors for a while NIL will eventually go to revenue sharing. This can be why OSU charges more and why the NLC upped their prices.

Last edited:

Did you get the survey of what you might be willing to spend? A lot of people are going to be shocked!

I believe OSU was #1 in revenue and charges most in Big 10 for football tickets.

There have been rumors for a while NIL will eventually go to revenue sharing. This can be why OSU charges more and why the NLC upped their prices.
The NLC wants no part of the NIL initiative. And that's a problem.

As many Season Ticket Holders age widening the base is critical. The "Recent Grad" NLC category makes sense on so many levels.

The situation could end up like The Flyers. The "sold out mentality" of needing to have season tickets to secure the best games/locations, and then needing to have a Season Ticket Holder connection to obtain the better seats for non premium games is paramount.

The Flyers used to sell a Season Ticket at below face value so that STHs actually MADE $ on friend to friend sales at "face" without "scalping". With all of the seat licenses, NLC donations, NIL and other add ons it is hard to see this ever turning around.

Once single game tickets to premium games are available then the tradeoff is only seat location. With variable pricing by the Athletic Dept the Michigan/OSU games were over $200 for the worst seats at face direct from the university.

Having $25 "flash sales" for under selling MAC opponents does enable others to attend- but if the Flyers are an example- there are perpetual "holes" with open seats- many in the premium priced areas.

The online ticket resale market changes everything. Those with the cash who only want a premium game can get what they want. Those who day trip to games will always be able to obtain tickets at maybe more favorable rates than the Scalper Legion out of Philly would provide (I often saw those guys at the Sheetz in Dauphin on the way up).

The best thing for State is to win football games. Demand rises with victories. The Flyers decline in performance crushed their ticket base. PSUs lack of Top 10 wins is similar to the Orange and Black's limited post season success (when they got in).

I tried to get my crew to buy PSU seasons this year and nobody else was in. Most cited Franklin as their reason why- with no hope for a championship and maddeningly poor performance in the top games.

Maybe the carrot of a potential home playoff game will turn the tide. At this point PSU is like Comcast Cable- milking their current customers for all they've got. When the next change comes they can market improved seats, amenities etc.

Many on the old forum had become tv only guys- and loved going on vacations with the savings. As I age I understand their rationale more and more.
Great post. Ask the Flyers sales team how that strategy is working out for them? Most Flyer games today are averaging 13k at most, only to have Lou announce annother "sell out".

Started in NGU back in 2000 and now in EF. Probably going back to the upper deck this cycle,or next.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Great post. Ask the Flyers sales team how that strategy is working out for them? Most Flyer games today are averaging 13k at most, only to have Lou announce annother "sell out".

Started in NGU back in 2000 and now in EF. Probably going back to the upper deck this cycle,or next.
Exactly.

NHL announces tickets sold NOT butts in seats. Buying and choosing NOT to go is a bad sign too.

Passion and recreation eventually lose to economics (except for the fortunate few).

Most hockey tickets are sold to corporations/businesses.
Which is part of the problem. "Regular fans" get priced out of lower level seats. Pricing in Upper Levels going up at greater percentages.

At Wells Fargo there are almost full rows downstairs that are empty many nights- until the 2nd/3rd periods when people migrate down.

As the team is less successful there is less demand for clients to want to go to games. So then they need to sell single games at roughly the Season Ticket Holder rate to not undercut their base- which works for top teams and kid friendly weekends.

A neighbor's company used to have a Suite for all Wells Fargo events ( Flyers/ 76ers/ Concerts). They have traded down to only Flyers tix near the ice with parking and an all you can eat and drink package in the Shift 4 Club and hold options to buy Suites for other events. Flyers are $1,000 total for 4 tix per game. That's a lot of scratch for a Winter Tuesday vs. WInnepeg.

Fortunately the tickets aren't always used- so my neighbor gifted me 10 games throughout the year on mostly weeknights. I'm not complaining- but the depreciating corporate investment coupled with lack of client interest is a storm brewing. The Flyers re-tool has been a long time coming- and it will be harder without full revenue generation from ticket sales.

Before teaching I worked in the Sports Marketing realm for 15 years. Fans are "Fanatical" and don't always think with their brains. When they start to feel used is when the wallets zip up. I think that without some signature wins in the next 2 years PSU will be in the same place as my Flyers.

NIL only complicates things. OSU is bringing in big names seemingly every day. We shall see.

When they start to feel used is when the wallets zip up.
Like when we were told we had a culture problem and the alumni were to blame for the scandal.

It's awhile ago now but there are still people who are pissed off and this attitude did nothing to engender support. My last season ticket year was 2012. Never again.

Good riddance, right. There's 20 people lined up for your tickets. Should be no problem then. Let them pull the sled.

Like when we were told we had a culture problem and the alumni were to blame for the scandal.

It's awhile ago now but there are still people who are pissed off and this attitude did nothing to engender support. My last season ticket year was 2012. Never again.

Good riddance, right. There's 20 people lined up for your tickets. Should be no problem then. Let them pull the sled.
Me, too. Haven’t set foot on campus since Joe’s memorial. Anyone who gives money to people who falsely accuse you of having no empathy to children’s safety solely to cover their own misdeeds is a chump.

Reactions: WaylonJ

there is almost never a problem getting tickets - at face value - for most games. So you miss white out and michigan, big deal... get a parking pass and sit outside watching the game on tv...lots of people do it. I had a great run in club seats for 20 years, but gave them up in 2020

Sounds like the fans are satisfied with mediocrity.
I don’t agree with that. I think most fans myself included, don’t know or not aware of the proper steps to take in order to help benefit the students and the football program. Most organizations have a mission statement speaking to The desired outcome of their labor. If Penn State football has one, I have yet to see it.

Reactions: PSUPride1

^^^^THIS^^^^

I was a member of the Golden Lion Society - those who donated to the Univ every year since graduation. That ended in 2011. I refuse to support an institution that refuses to defend itself. We saw how PSU rolled over and was steam rolled. We see how every other institution literally threatens the NCAA and the NCAA does nothing to sufficiently anger the offending institutions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT