ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

It's funny to read the thread on the liar board on how pleased they are with the rumor. Amazing how their opinion of him changes.
They are done with cjf as of right now. Forever. Do they really want play his teams every year?

Let me get this straight. Jimbo Fisher, a coach with a national title to his resume, left FSU because the admin would not give him what he wanted (facility upgrades, etc.). So he bolts to Texas A&M which happens to be the location of the US Mint.

Now Franklin is being mentioned as a potential candidate for the FSU job after the dumpster fire called Willie Taggart.

Give me a break.

This is all a possibility, especially with Franklin's incredibly low buyout. I wonder if Franklin is best suited to be a culture driver and he can come in and turn this place around. Whether he and his staff are tacticians enough to win championships long term, I have my doubts. I wouldn't begrudge Franklin for leaving really.
Why would he leave PSU is a better job then FSU. The Noles faculties are lacking

It's not idiotic when an incompetent coaching staff does less with more. We lost to Minny. Rationalize that all you want. Rhule is a better fit.
So our roster is rated 11th and we are ranked 8th. Your math says that’s less with more. Ok

I like Rhule, but wouldn't trade Franklin for him. Rhule hasn't shown that he can recruit at Baylor (noting when Baylor was recruiting well in the early 00's, they were likely cheating a bunch) and I don't think he moves the needle much for recruits (though many PSU fans might be happy). You need someone to go up against OSU for nearly every top recruit in our footprint. I'd aim for someone like Greg Roman.
Rhule has never gone up against OSU, ND, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, etc. His Temple recruits and most of his Baylor recruits weren’t getting those offers. That’s what Franklin is up against. Despite what some people think, PSU doesn’t recruit itself anymore.

I like Rhule, but wouldn't trade Franklin for him. Rhule hasn't shown that he can recruit at Baylor (noting when Baylor was recruiting well in the early 00's, they were likely cheating a bunch) and I don't think he moves the needle much for recruits (though many PSU fans might be happy). You need someone to go up against OSU for nearly every top recruit in our footprint. I'd aim for someone like Greg Roman.
Rhule has never gone up against OSU, ND, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, etc. His Temple recruits and most of his Baylor recruits weren’t getting those offers. That’s what Franklin is up against. Despite what some people think, PSU doesn’t recruit itself anymore.
This is unfortunately true that the PSU image does not recruit itself anymore. That ship sailed when the whole Sandusky storm hit, and to be honest it may have sailed in the 1990s. We forget that sometimes.

I was at Howard Griffiths house one night and he was saying that exact same thing. Continued success is more about the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and the O's. Rhule is a great football mind, it seems, but IMO he will struggle to have continued success like this year....kind of like Fleck at Minnesota. Both has relatively easy schedules early on, built some momentum, and rolled with it....until they ran in to better teams.

How many more Millions does PSU have to throw at the football team? And where will that money come from? It's crazy!!

That's absolutely true.

But Matt Rhule's classes at Baylor are actually fairly on par with Franklin's classes at Vanderbilt. Of course, Rhule has lots of talent in Texas to recruit that UT, aTm, and Oklahoma passed on. But he got a top-30 class in 2018, and the #35 class in 2019.

That 2018 class came on the heels of his 1-11 opening season at Baylor, too.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about Rhule's inability to recruit at a high level. We have no idea if that's actually true. I suspect that a guy that recruits top-35 type classes at Baylor can probably get top-20 classes at Penn State. But it's just a hunch.

Hopefully this conversation is completely moot. But if we had to turn to a Matt Rhule, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the recruiting issues quite yet.

Reactions: Texas Lion
There are a lot of assumptions being made about Rhule's inability to recruit at a high level. We have no idea if that's actually true. I suspect that a guy that recruits top-35 type classes at Baylor can probably get top-20 classes at Penn State. But it's just a hunch.
What you say is true. I'm not in the camp that Rhule can't recruit at a huge program and in a tougher conference. My stance is that Rhule's ability to do so is unproven as of now, because he hasn't had one of those jobs (yet). it's an unknown.

We already have a coach that is a proven winner at recruiting, and like it or not he's a proven winner on the field in 80% of our games since 2016 (40 wins - 10 losses, 8 of the 10 losses being one possession games). On top of that he's done so while maintaining high standards for off the field and academic behavior.

There are very, very few coaches in the country that have that combination of proven recruiting ability, proven win rate in a brutal P5 conference division, and well-managed team behaviors. Franklin has proven he can do all 3. People that aren't happy with what he's doing here are crazy.

What you say is true. I'm not in the camp that Rhule can't recruit at a huge program and in a tougher conference. My stance is that Rhule's ability to do so is unproven as of now, because he hasn't had one of those jobs (yet). it's an unknown.

We already have a coach that is a proven winner at recruiting, and like it or not he's a proven winner on the field in 80% of our games since 2016 (40 wins - 10 losses, 8 of the 10 losses being one possession games). On top of that he's done so while maintaining high standards for off the field and academic behavior.

There are very, very few coaches in the country that have that combination of proven recruiting ability, proven win rate in a brutal P5 conference division, and well-managed team behaviors. Franklin has proven he can do all 3. People that aren't happy with what he's doing here are crazy.
I totally agree

But if we had to turn to a Matt Rhule, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the recruiting issues quite yet.
What makes you think this administration would hire a head coach from our football past when they clearly wiped clean everything from those years?

If I have learned one thing about these coaching rumors, it's that eventually they become true and a coach leaves. That is if it is even rumored to begin with. Not right away, the coach may stay for a few more years, but eventually, they leave and this has been rumored for Franklin the last few years. The coaches that stay at their schools long term, you just don't hear them rumored as much. I don't see Ryan Day or Dabo rumored to other jobs really. Maybe this is a ploy from Franklin to get all he wants from the administration, but I hate the approach, but understand it.

Actually, go through the top 10 team in the CFB playoff rankings, and look to see how many of those coaches are rumored to be going elsewhere. Let's see:
  1. LSU - Ed rumoers??
  2. tOSU - Day rumoers?
  3. Clemson - Dabo rumors??? what about even their coordinators??
  4. UGA - Smart rumors?
  5. Bama - Saban rumors?
  6. Oregon - Cristbol rumors??
  7. Utah - Kyle rumors??
  8. Oklahoma - genius rumors - NFK???
  9. PSU - Franklin rumors >>> FSU, USC and anyone else?
  10. Florida - no rumors to go back to MSU
  11. Minny - Fleck rumors??? some but put to bed very fast
  12. UMich - Jimbo rumors for a moment and then cutoff by him publicly and with recruits
so James just has to follow suit to what Harbaugh did. failure to speak up will impact team and recruiting. I would prefer he just say this is not his dream job or final location and say he will always be looking. not an issue to me. PSU should not be a stepping stone to FSU or USC - those are steps down.

This is unfortunately true that the PSU image does not recruit itself anymore. That ship sailed when the whole Sandusky storm hit, and to be honest it may have sailed in the 1990s. We forget that sometimes.

Maybe. But we had a top 10 class lined up for February 2012 before Sandusky. So someone or something was still bringing kids in.

Reactions: Howie'81
What makes you think this administration would hire a head coach from our football past when they clearly wiped clean everything from those years?

Eh, it's not like he was on the PSU staff. Unless he starts sporting a "409" shirt in public, I strongly suspect his Paterno-era ties will have no bearing on his candidacy.

(by the way, I'd support him MORE if he sported a 409 shirt, but you probably get what I mean)

Maybe. But we had a top 10 class lined up for February 2012 before Sandusky. So someone or something was still bringing kids in.

Even after the Sandusky crap , but prior to the sanctions being handed down, O’Brien had a great class lined up

I agree.

As I've always said, Franklin is an outstanding coach and we're lucky to have him. I'm not 100% convinced that he's the tactician we need to win a title -- or that we'll get the coordinators we need to do that -- but all being said, I am 1000000% happy with him as our coach.

I'm just saying that if he were to go to USC -- and nobody here has any clue how likely or unlikely that is -- then I won't lose too much sleep if we were to get Matt Rhule. Sure, he's not proven at a major program yet, but neither was Franklin until 2016. Rhule would have a much smaller hill to climb to get there than what Franklin had, too.

I just have this feeling that Rhule is going to be a star, and a guy like that at a program like ours has the makings to be something special. But, I think we have something special already with CJF. So again.....I hope this is all moot.

I haven't visited FSU either but I have the ability to Google FSU's football facilities and the reasons behind Jimbo's departure.

I totally understand putting pressure on the administration to get fully behind football and I like it to an extent.

But at some point, Penn State has to protect itself and not allow a coach to hold it hostage every time another school comes calling. The same way Franklin doesn't let recruits like RJ Adams string him along, Penn State has to respect itself.
This and he deserves at least a 6 year extension with extra money for assistants. He’s brought us this far. Give him what the big boys get including assistant coach salaries and see what he can do. The Portal put a wrench in the plan this year. He’ll figure it out. Noone’s talking about Fumi though, that’s 50% of the decision right there.

I agree.

As I've always said, Franklin is an outstanding coach and we're lucky to have him. I'm not 100% convinced that he's the tactician we need to win a title -- or that we'll get the coordinators we need to do that -- but all being said, I am 1000000% happy with him as our coach.

I'm just saying that if he were to go to USC -- and nobody here has any clue how likely or unlikely that is -- then I won't lose too much sleep if we were to get Matt Rhule. Sure, he's not proven at a major program yet, but neither was Franklin until 2016. Rhule would have a much smaller hill to climb to get there than what Franklin had, too.

I just have this feeling that Rhule is going to be a star, and a guy like that at a program like ours has the makings to be something special. But, I think we have something special already with CJF. So again.....I hope this is all moot.
I don’t know why everyone is so convinced that Rhule would automatically come back. Much more fertile recruiting in Tx. Jimbo will implode at AM and Hermann is struggling some at Texas.

Reactions: OaktonDave
I agree.

I'd disagree about Franklin. We all know what Rhule and Golden did at Temple was remarkable, but what Franklin did with Vanderbilt in the SEC is unheard of. Went to three straight bowls (first time ever in program history to even make consecutive bowls), won 9 games two seasons in a row (never happened before), finished in the Top 25 in the Coaches/AP poll in consecutive years for the first time ever, and won 25 games in three years (most ever for that time period).

Rhule did himself a disservice by going to Baylor IMO. It's a conference that doesn't suit his style, and a school that has a hard time competing for recruits against Texas, A&M, LSU, etc., and one where he has a ginormous buyout apparently:

Smoak shared that his sources told him that the buyout for Rhule is “among the top buyouts in the industry of college football coaches contracts, without question among the top 5 overall.”

The top buyout in the coaching industry that immediately comes to mind is Jimbo Fisher’s, who famously signed a fully guaranteed deal at Texas A&M worth $75 million. Other than that monster figure, Willie Taggart’s buyout comes to mind, as it currently sits at $17 million.

Athletic director Mack Rhoades was asked how the university is protected in this latest contract extension, and he shared an interesting word to describe the new buyout – “aggressive.”

I'd disagree about Franklin. We all know what Rhule and Golden did at Temple was remarkable, but what Franklin did with Vanderbilt in the SEC is unheard of. Went to three straight bowls (first time ever in program history to even make consecutive bowls), won 9 games two seasons in a row (never happened before), finished in the Top 25 in the Coaches/AP poll in consecutive years for the first time ever, and won 25 games in three years (most ever for that time period).

Rhule did himself a disservice by going to Baylor IMO. It's a conference that doesn't suit his style, and a school that has a hard time competing for recruits against Texas, A&M, LSU, etc., and one where he has a ginormous buyout apparently:

Smoak shared that his sources told him that the buyout for Rhule is “among the top buyouts in the industry of college football coaches contracts, without question among the top 5 overall.”

The top buyout in the coaching industry that immediately comes to mind is Jimbo Fisher’s, who famously signed a fully guaranteed deal at Texas A&M worth $75 million. Other than that monster figure, Willie Taggart’s buyout comes to mind, as it currently sits at $17 million.

Athletic director Mack Rhoades was asked how the university is protected in this latest contract extension, and he shared an interesting word to describe the new buyout – “aggressive.”

But turning Baylor around given the circumstances there is exactly the kind of job that is going to get him looks by major programs.

Going 10-3 a few times at Temple won't do it. But then taking Baylor to the brink of a NY6 bowl in only three years? That'll generate some looks.

I agree that Baylor isn't his best fit, which is why I think he'll make a move the moment he gets an offer from a big time program.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I don't understand why most everyone is claiming PSU's assistant coaches need or deserve more money. If they were truly in demand in the marketplace and had repeated, more attractive offers ($$$) from other universities then I might agree.

The jury is still out on much of CJF's coaching staff. Throwing more money at them might not be the most fiscally prudent thing to do.

But turning Baylor around given the circumstances there is exactly the kind of job that is going to get him looks by major programs.

Going 10-3 a few times at Temple won't do it. But then taking Baylor to the brink of a NY6 bowl in only three years? That'll generate some looks.

I agree that Baylor isn't his best fit, which is why I think he'll make a move the moment he gets an offer from a big time program.

Dude is a good coach; but, he needs to be a good recruiter to compete against the big dogs of the conference. I think he can get by in the Big XII with classes like (according to Rivals):

2018 - 32 (4th Big XII)
2019 - 33 (4th Big XII
2020 - 72 (currently last Big XII)

Right now, he's behind Texas, Oklahoma, and TCU consistently. He needs to recruit better than TCU IMO. It could be that X's and O's will be enough, but as in the Oklahoma game, their depth and talent was able to overcome a significant lead by Baylor. I also wonder why Baylor recruiting is sucking so hard right now - he's improved the team every year he's been there.

That's absolutely true.

But Matt Rhule's classes at Baylor are actually fairly on par with Franklin's classes at Vanderbilt. Of course, Rhule has lots of talent in Texas to recruit that UT, aTm, and Oklahoma passed on. But he got a top-30 class in 2018, and the #35 class in 2019.

That 2018 class came on the heels of his 1-11 opening season at Baylor, too.

Hopefully this conversation is completely moot. But if we had to turn to a Matt Rhule, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the recruiting issues quite yet.

Franklin's final class at Vandy was Top 20 (#19 according to Rivals) and had five four star players. Franklin also had an average star ranking over 3.00 which Rhule has yet to do. IMO, Baylor isn't sexy enough for top players despite Rhule being a hot coach - this is his Vanderbilt.

Good point that there were some very good recruiting years but it does seem like we haven’t been consistently upper level recruiting and performance since the 80s, 90s era, though. With the shifting demographics and the collapse of Western PA youth population that used to auto-feed the program, it will just become more difficult to succeed without a charismatic, upper level coach like Franklin that can not only recruit PA and NJ but can also heavily recruit top talent from the DC area, Virginia, the Carolinas, and occasionally pull talent out of the deep south as well.

These people that wan Franklin gone often have other social motives, but cannot come out and say it.

What a load of horse crap. Is it possible.....just possible that maybe people just have different opinions. Sorry....hope i didn't trigger you or invade your safe space. I hope Franklin stays and those that automatically have to go here do not

I don’t know why everyone is so convinced that Rhule would automatically come back. Much more fertile recruiting in Tx. Jimbo will implode at AM and Hermann is struggling some at Texas.
Great post. It’s not a given that everyone wants to come back home

Ruhle won about 14 games in THREE seasons.

Here is the leap of logic that I can't reconcile... If schools like FSU and USC are "steps up" for a mediocre (as some on this board would say) coach like Franklin, then how in the heck would we ever land a "premier" coach? All of these alleged slots are "better landing spots"? Why then would a premier coach come to PSU if so many better spots available? Or are we relegated to getting coaches that someone like FSU can't? Color me confused...

It's true. PSU could never get a Willie Taggart or Jimbo Fisher! :rolleyes:

Ruhle won about 14 games in THREE seasons.

Not if you're talking about consecutive seasons. Even with only 2 wins his first year at Temple and 1 win his first year at Baylor, in his worst 3-year stretch he won 18 games, unless he lose to both Texas and Kansas and in the bowl game this year. Then it'll be 17 games.

More importantly to anyone who matters, his teams have improved every year at both schools

Temple
2-10
6-6
10-4 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (left before bowl game)

Baylor
1-11
7-6 (won bowl game)
9-1

What a load of horse crap. Is it possible.....just possible that maybe people just have different opinions. Sorry....hope i didn't trigger you or invade your safe space. I hope Franklin stays and those that automatically have to go here do not

Just give it to him, faux morale superiority on a message board is all he's really got

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Yes....other people aren't as fickle and dumb as some of our fans. They see the big picture and realize he would turn them around as well. Hopefully PSU is locking things up long term which is hopefully going on behind the scenes. Even though we have dumb fans....most know we have a great HC and want him here for a while.

Wait...we have dumb fans?

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
So you're hanging your argument on the intelligence and big picture thinking of Florida State Football fans - the same ones who drove Jimbo Fisher to leave for the #4 school in the SEC West. About par for the course with you.

If Franklin wants to go he should just go. Starting to become obvious he doesn't view himself as a fit for Penn State. We'll survive.
What in the world do you base this last paragraph on? Total nonsense. He definitely wants to be here, he also wants a real commitment towards staff and facilities.

The PSU fans that want him, wanted Golden before that. They somehow think a Paterno guy has to be in charge. Yeah I hate being ranked and playing tOSU late in the year for the Division title. Woe is PSU, he’s not a Joe guy. These people that wan Franklin gone often have other social motives, but cannot come out and say it.
I never say this last part but it sure as hell is looking to be true. I've said for a while, there's folks out there that just don't like Franklin, some hate him being here no matter what he accomplishes. Less with more is ridiculous as well. He has far outcoached his talent and recruiting. We've gone head to head with the best and held our own with far less talent. People really have little appreciation for just how hard it has been for Franklin to turn the program around. When OB and him got here we were 20 plus years behind the times. Our facilities sucked, some still do. Hell, tennis and swimming is an embarrassing joke. Football has more than paid it's way as well as every other sport. Time to get this done or forget about it.

crazy, or have another agenda

Not if you're talking about consecutive seasons. Even with only 2 wins his first year at Temple and 1 win his first year at Baylor, in his worst 3-year stretch he won 18 games, unless he lose to both Texas and Kansas and in the bowl game this year. Then it'll be 17 games.

More importantly to anyone who matters, his teams have improved every year at both schools

Temple
2-10
6-6
10-4 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (left before bowl game)

Baylor
1-11
7-6 (won bowl game)
9-1
This is easier to do in 3 years. But what about years 5 and beyond when you are looking for consistency . For instance, you cannot improve on an undefeated season. What every program wants is to be in the conversation of the final 4. As Franklin has stated, this is where it gets difficult to be "elite." It is harder to achieve in the B10 East compared the ACC or in the B12. Can Rhule make Baylor on par with OK? Well, no other B12 team has done it, so the odds aren't great that he can sustain "elite" status at Baylor, but time will tell.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The PSU fans that want him, wanted Golden before that. They somehow think a Paterno guy has to be in charge. Yeah I hate being ranked and playing tOSU late in the year for the Division title. Woe is PSU, he’s not a Joe guy. These people that wan Franklin gone often have other social motives, but cannot come out and say it.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

Rhule is a great coach and I'd like to see him here IF Franklin leaves. But the reality is few if any kids that the next coach will be recruiting hold JVP in the same reverence as us here on the board.

The linkage to JVP means a lot to us armchair coaches, but does a 5 star recruit from Florida give a rat's ass if the coach has ties to JVP or not? Doubtful.

Reactions: Nationalchamps1
If I have learned one thing about these coaching rumors, it's that eventually they become true and a coach leaves. That is if it is even rumored to begin with. Not right away, the coach may stay for a few more years, but eventually, they leave and this has been rumored for Franklin the last few years. The coaches that stay at their schools long term, you just don't hear them rumored as much. I don't see Ryan Day or Dabo rumored to other jobs really. Maybe this is a ploy from Franklin to get all he wants from the administration, but I hate the approach, but understand it.
This ^^^^

If he has an urge to go, then go. I think he’s a fantastic recruiter and CEO but if he wants to entertain this every year and play games with the administration it’s getting old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT