ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and Ferentz Handshake

BrewHawk, :eek:
Please enlighten us as to how Penn State could do better than Franklin. I personally believe this is the ultimate sour grapes comment.
What possibly did Coach Franklin do during the trip to Iowa that you feel is poor representation of Penn State.
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Thank you.

OL

Reactions: PSUoh90
BrewHawk, :eek:
Please enlighten us as to how Penn State could do better than Franklin. I personally believe this is the ultimate sour grapes comment.
What possibly did Coach Franklin do during the trip to Iowa that you feel is poor representation of Penn State.
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Thank you.

OL

I am At a loss also on this.

Okay, BreHawk,
I just went through the entire thread again to see if I missed something. Guess what, dickhead? I didn't.
You start your first ramble by saying "you're not going to like this....", and aimlessly ramble with ZERO facts of what Coach Franklin did wrong.
You know what? You're not going to like this, but you're a dumbass! Plain and simple; YOU ARE A DUMBASS!

OL

Personally I think Ferentz should have ran onto the field and argued with the ref, causing a delay in the game, all while avoiding a delay of game penalty.
No kidding. Too bad Franklin didn't have time to thank KF for his part in bringing replay to college football.

You guys aren't going to like this, mostly because Penn State has obviously been attacked so much over the past few years, but...

Franklin is a douche bag. Ferentz gives respect where it's due and you can tell when he thinks it isn't due. I'd put Ferentz's character (and judgment of it) over about anyone that I know after watching him over the time he's been at Iowa. I'm hoping you guys can find someone who represents the university with the class it deserves (and coach winning football). Bill O'Brien was much more in line with who I think you guys deserve, and I would think Ferentz would be a great fit, but I also think he's the perfect fit for Iowa, so I'm not exactly willing to part with him.

Please keep in mind that this isn't an attack of any sort, just an observation and opinion. I'm someone that thought before our 2008 game that if a loss to Iowa would guarantee that Joe would win a national title, I'd be willing to take the loss.

Again, great game last night and would have no issue with the Lions running the table. Just wish you had someone at the helm who was a bit more deserving of the success. I hope he proves me wrong over time, but I'm incredibly skeptical.
Seriously, I wouldn't trade you Coaches and you're way off base with the Franklin comments...

Okay, BreHawk,
I just went through the entire thread again to see if I missed something. Guess what, dickhead? I didn't.
You start your first ramble by saying "you're not going to like this....", and aimlessly ramble with ZERO facts of what Coach Franklin did wrong.
You know what? You're not going to like this, but you're a dumbass! Plain and simple; YOU ARE A DUMBASS!

OL
I, for one, am excited to think JF may soon become the first African-American coach to win a national title at the highest NCAA level. Imagine the recruiting bump then. Imagine the saltiness from bitter fanbases then

I think Brewhawk is saying that since KF appeared to disrespect Franklin, it must be for a good reason, because KF for years has been nothing short of a beacon for exemplary sportsmanship.

I mean, I'm not saying it's true or not, I'm just trying to answer for Brew.

I think KF is was just on the wrong side of an emotional roller coaster. His team got gashed and was 4 measly seconds from stealing a game against a highly ranked team.

Sorry guys, I'm over wins and losses at this point (you kinda have to be as an Iowa fan) and just hope for the best representation of my university. I think you guys could do better than Franklin (I think it's evident by the postgame handshake that Ferentz feels the same way, as he is usually quite warm and respectful) and will leave it at that.

Best of luck with the rest of your season. Hope he isn't crossing any lines that does the university any further damage.

Here is Ferentz being warm and respectful with Mark D'Antonio . . .

AR-310319950.jpg

You guys aren't going to like this, mostly because Penn State has obviously been attacked so much over the past few years, but...

Franklin is a douche bag. Ferentz gives respect where it's due and you can tell when he thinks it isn't due. I'd put Ferentz's character (and judgment of it) over about anyone that I know after watching him over the time he's been at Iowa. I'm hoping you guys can find someone who represents the university with the class it deserves (and coach winning football). Bill O'Brien was much more in line with who I think you guys deserve, and I would think Ferentz would be a great fit, but I also think he's the perfect fit for Iowa, so I'm not exactly willing to part with him.

Please keep in mind that this isn't an attack of any sort, just an observation and opinion. I'm someone that thought before our 2008 game that if a loss to Iowa would guarantee that Joe would win a national title, I'd be willing to take the loss.

Again, great game last night and would have no issue with the Lions running the table. Just wish you had someone at the helm who was a bit more deserving of the success. I hope he proves me wrong over time, but I'm incredibly skeptical.
Bwahaha...trade Franklin for Ferentz.....now that's funny.

I would think endangering health of a CJ Beathard during Outback is higher db level than calling a TO on a FG. Oh wait, was that an unsubstantiated article written by a journalist with a chip and agenda? I guess it does not feel good when people do that..

Reactions: psu2016
Sorry guys, I'm over wins and losses at this point (you kinda have to be as an Iowa fan) and just hope for the best representation of my university. I think you guys could do better than Franklin (I think it's evident by the postgame handshake that Ferentz feels the same way, as he is usually quite warm and respectful) and will leave it at that.

Best of luck with the rest of your season. Hope he isn't crossing any lines that does the university any further damage.
If he was crossing any lines everyone would know about it. No school is under more scrutiny than Penn State. Franklin is an absolutely phenomenal representative of our school. Name one thing that he's done that isn't fitting of any university.

I think Brewhawk is saying that since KF appeared to disrespect Franklin, it must be for a good reason, because KF for years has been nothing short of a beacon for exemplary sportsmanship.

I mean, I'm not saying it's true or not, I'm just trying to answer for Brew.

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for clarifying.

I have no problem with the brief postgame handshake. Tough game to lose.
I happen to like Ferentz. I like the style his teams play. Paternoesque in their simplicity, fundamental approach and discipline.
Franklin rubs some people the wrong way. I get that. I don't know that I would like him if he wasn't Penn State's coach. But following him closely for four years now, I love his style. Energy, positivity, discipline. I love it.
Brew, you will figure out in a few days that you are only ranting because your team lost the game. Give it a few days. It'll come to you.

We had a coach that represented us with class for decades. We came into the B1G and were treated like sh!t. During a scandal that had nothing to do with the football program, which was one of the cleanest in the country, PSU football was dragged through the mud and treated like sh!t again by our B1G brethren. The only thing we want a coach to be respected for is graduating players and winning football games. People don't like winners and winners don't like whiners. Take a hike.

Last year Ferentz kept the stiff upper lip and did all the nice nice things.. and all the while he was seething over some of the late action that maybe suggested some piling on... maybe not, depends on pov.

and he wanted us back in their pit for payback.. that he came a few seconds from getting. That would make any coach unhappy.

OK, maybe that's all one helluva stretch.. so i'll go with this:

KF was major po'd that Franklin did not try to kick the PAT... he felt it deprived his team of that last gasp opportunity to block the kick and return it for a 2 pointer that sends this baby into OT. IOW, Franklin's a big baby (i make the nice nice) from the east coast who refused to man up.

Yeah... probably a reach, too. lol.

So i'm going with 8286's post... I think KF simply doesn't care for all the pre/post-game formalities. His comments during the presser imply he respected the program. I'll hang my hat there.

We had a coach that represented us with class for decades. We came into the B1G and were treated like sh!t. During a scandal that had nothing to do with the football program, which was one of the cleanest in the country, PSU football was dragged through the mud and treated like sh!t again by our B1G brethren. The only thing we want a coach to be respected for is graduating players and winning football games. People don't like winners and winners don't like whiners. Take a hike.

Ski , you said it well . And , don't forget , they ( the B1G and the NCAA ) also stole our money !

Last edited:

BrewHawk , regarding your comments about James Franklin . I love generalizations and use them often , but , generalizations that are NOT supported by CONCRETE examples ( i.e., EVIDENCE ) are worthless!
So , why don't you regale us all with some examples/evidence .

Reactions: mn78psu83
BrewHawk , regarding your comments about James Franklin . I love generalizations and use them often , but , generalizations that are NOT supported by CONCRETE examples ( i.e., EVIDENCE ) are worthless!
So , why don't you regale us all with some examples/evidence .

Yea, he isn't going to give you one because he has none. He just went on the assumption that since KF did a minor, almost non-existent handshake, that means KF doesn't respect JF. KF normally gives respect where its due and apparently to this guy, because of that small handshake, he doesn't respect KF.

Jeez.. and here I thought I was the one with crazy wacko conspiracy theories..
:eek:

Ferentz was in charge when these workouts put 13 Iowa players in the hospital. Seems like more of a "douchebag" move than anything Franklin has ever done.

Iowa players battling muscle disorder
Jan 26, 2011
  • ESPN.com news services
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa said Wednesday that 13 football players had to be hospitalized this week with a muscle disorder following grueling offseason workouts that left them with extreme soreness and discolored urine.

The players have rhabdomyolysis, a stress-induced syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney damage and even failure in severe cases, school spokesman Tom Moore said at a news conference two days after players were hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
School officials said the players, whom they would not identify, were in stable condition and responding well to treatment, which includes bed rest and the administration of hydrating fluids. Moore said he did not know when the players would be discharged.

One walk-on player and two who were on scholarship quit the team following their hospitalization with rhabdomyolysis, a muscle disorder that caused discolored urine and extreme soreness, according to a report released this week by a committee appointed by President Sally Mason to investigate the injuries.

The walk-on quit before spring practice to concentrate on academics. One of the scholarship players left the team before spring practice, considered transferring and then stayed at Iowa but decided not to play football. The other completed spring practice but left the university for what the report described as unrelated personal reasons.

Iowa's infamous January workout that hospitalized thirteen Hawkeye football players already cost them one player of the future in blue-chip recruit Cyrus Kouandjio. As of late Tuesday night, it appears at least one present player is out the door as well: Rising senior defensive back Willie Lowe, who was stricken with rhabdomyolysis along with a dozen teammates, has requested his release from the program. To hear the way he's talking to Joe Schad, it sounds like we might not see Lowe on the field this season at all:

I would like to be able to sit out a year, regain my strength, feel fine and play again. But I don't know. I am still down 20 pounds and I am having headaches every few days. [...] Only a few players are back to full speed that I know of.

It's grim news for a program that seems as eager to move past the incident as it was to gloss over the problem in the first place altogether. The school has cleared the hospitalized players for spring practice, but if Lowe is still this far from full strength, who else might be ailing under the radar? SB Nation's Black Heart Gold Pants has a bad feeling about whatever news comes next:

Lowe's case may be unique; as a senior, if he felt he needed a year off to recover despite being medically cleared to play, he would either have to talk the coaches into giving him a redshirt (in a year where Iowa will be breaking in two safeties) and likely lose his chance to start in 2012, or transfer and spend his year recouperating. And as bad as the Lowe transfer is for the secondary, his comment that "only a few players are back to full speed" is even worse for the program.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- One of 13 University of Iowa football players who were hospitalized after a high-intensity workout three years ago says his injuries were preventable but caused lasting harm, outlining his claims in the first lawsuit to stem from the incident.

Former Hawkeyes cornerback William Lowe, of Cleveland, alleges in a lawsuit filed Monday in Johnson County district court that coaches and trainers failed to properly supervise him during the Jan. 20, 2011, workout. He also says the school failed to offer medical care after he and others initially reported severe pain and symptoms, and that his injuries were aggravated because he was required to participate in additional workouts in the following days.

Lowe contends that the team was negligent in "developing and implementing a dangerous improper training program" and should have to pay unspecified damages for his pain and suffering.

Spokesmen for the athletics department and the university declined to comment about the lawsuit Tuesday.

Lowe and 12 others were hospitalized following the workout at the start of winter training. They were diagnosed with exertional rhabdomyolysis, the result of muscles breaking down and releasing proteins into the bloodstream, which can cause kidney failure.

The workout was only held about once every three years as a test of physical stamina, mental toughness and to see who "wanted to be on the team," according to an investigative committee report commissioned by the school.

The most grueling part were the 100 back squats players were asked to do at 50 percent of their most recent personal best. A study by University of Iowa doctors published last year concluded that those back squats were "significantly associated" with an increased risk of rhabdomyolysis -- with the affected players more likely to think they could complete the untimed workout despite muscle failure.

Lowe alleges in his lawsuit that he and others reported "substantial leg pain and stiffness as well as abnormally dark urine" after that workout and fatigue that was atypical. Despite such reports, Lowe says he and the others were required to participate in a mandatory intensive workout the next day focusing on their upper body muscles.

After taking the weekend off, players had another mandatory workout Jan. 24. Within hours, Lowe and others started showing up at the hospital and were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.

Lowe says he was released from the hospital Feb. 2, but he still suffered from weight loss, pain in his lower back and legs, headaches and high blood pressure over the next several months. The 24-year-old says he suffered mental and physical pain and anguish that has required ongoing expenses for medical care, therapy, drugs and other treatment.

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for clarifying.

So Franklin is responsible for Ferentz not acting classy? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Franklin went out of his way to compliment Iowa after the game. I think you need to take a step back and realize that the reason you don't like him is because he's so damn good.

Good Lord- this is nuts.

In all reality..... what has Franklin ever done that is considered so unsportsmanlike? Things that might do our University harm..... are you crazy? A few digs here and there? Have you listened to these big time college football coaches lately?

Ferentz was in charge when these workouts put 13 Iowa players in the hospital. Seems like more of a "douchebag" move than anything Franklin has ever done.

Iowa players battling muscle disorder
Jan 26, 2011
  • ESPN.com news services
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa said Wednesday that 13 football players had to be hospitalized this week with a muscle disorder following grueling offseason workouts that left them with extreme soreness and discolored urine.

The players have rhabdomyolysis, a stress-induced syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney damage and even failure in severe cases, school spokesman Tom Moore said at a news conference two days after players were hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
School officials said the players, whom they would not identify, were in stable condition and responding well to treatment, which includes bed rest and the administration of hydrating fluids. Moore said he did not know when the players would be discharged.

One walk-on player and two who were on scholarship quit the team following their hospitalization with rhabdomyolysis, a muscle disorder that caused discolored urine and extreme soreness, according to a report released this week by a committee appointed by President Sally Mason to investigate the injuries.

The walk-on quit before spring practice to concentrate on academics. One of the scholarship players left the team before spring practice, considered transferring and then stayed at Iowa but decided not to play football. The other completed spring practice but left the university for what the report described as unrelated personal reasons.

Iowa's infamous January workout that hospitalized thirteen Hawkeye football players already cost them one player of the future in blue-chip recruit Cyrus Kouandjio. As of late Tuesday night, it appears at least one present player is out the door as well: Rising senior defensive back Willie Lowe, who was stricken with rhabdomyolysis along with a dozen teammates, has requested his release from the program. To hear the way he's talking to Joe Schad, it sounds like we might not see Lowe on the field this season at all:

I would like to be able to sit out a year, regain my strength, feel fine and play again. But I don't know. I am still down 20 pounds and I am having headaches every few days. [...] Only a few players are back to full speed that I know of.

It's grim news for a program that seems as eager to move past the incident as it was to gloss over the problem in the first place altogether. The school has cleared the hospitalized players for spring practice, but if Lowe is still this far from full strength, who else might be ailing under the radar? SB Nation's Black Heart Gold Pants has a bad feeling about whatever news comes next:

Lowe's case may be unique; as a senior, if he felt he needed a year off to recover despite being medically cleared to play, he would either have to talk the coaches into giving him a redshirt (in a year where Iowa will be breaking in two safeties) and likely lose his chance to start in 2012, or transfer and spend his year recouperating. And as bad as the Lowe transfer is for the secondary, his comment that "only a few players are back to full speed" is even worse for the program.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- One of 13 University of Iowa football players who were hospitalized after a high-intensity workout three years ago says his injuries were preventable but caused lasting harm, outlining his claims in the first lawsuit to stem from the incident.

Former Hawkeyes cornerback William Lowe, of Cleveland, alleges in a lawsuit filed Monday in Johnson County district court that coaches and trainers failed to properly supervise him during the Jan. 20, 2011, workout. He also says the school failed to offer medical care after he and others initially reported severe pain and symptoms, and that his injuries were aggravated because he was required to participate in additional workouts in the following days.

Lowe contends that the team was negligent in "developing and implementing a dangerous improper training program" and should have to pay unspecified damages for his pain and suffering.

Spokesmen for the athletics department and the university declined to comment about the lawsuit Tuesday.

Lowe and 12 others were hospitalized following the workout at the start of winter training. They were diagnosed with exertional rhabdomyolysis, the result of muscles breaking down and releasing proteins into the bloodstream, which can cause kidney failure.

The workout was only held about once every three years as a test of physical stamina, mental toughness and to see who "wanted to be on the team," according to an investigative committee report commissioned by the school.

The most grueling part were the 100 back squats players were asked to do at 50 percent of their most recent personal best. A study by University of Iowa doctors published last year concluded that those back squats were "significantly associated" with an increased risk of rhabdomyolysis -- with the affected players more likely to think they could complete the untimed workout despite muscle failure.

Lowe alleges in his lawsuit that he and others reported "substantial leg pain and stiffness as well as abnormally dark urine" after that workout and fatigue that was atypical. Despite such reports, Lowe says he and the others were required to participate in a mandatory intensive workout the next day focusing on their upper body muscles.

After taking the weekend off, players had another mandatory workout Jan. 24. Within hours, Lowe and others started showing up at the hospital and were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.

Lowe says he was released from the hospital Feb. 2, but he still suffered from weight loss, pain in his lower back and legs, headaches and high blood pressure over the next several months. The 24-year-old says he suffered mental and physical pain and anguish that has required ongoing expenses for medical care, therapy, drugs and other treatment.

Penn State is the home to and epitomizes Success With Honor and The Grand Experiment. Always has been, always will be. iowa? Not so much.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Why you guys are giving the Brewhawk jerk any credibility is beyond me. He based his asinine conclusion on 3 assumptions. 1) that the Franklin/Ferentz post-game handshake accurately reflected Ferentz's inner feelings toward Franklin. 2) that those negative feelings are justified because Ferentz is a great judge of character and well if he thinks someone's a jerk, then they're a jerk. And 3) the negative things Ferentz knows about Franklin transcend football and could negatively impact Penn State University as a whole. Seriously? I'd say he played many of you.

Reactions: LionJim
Should come as no surprise that Franklin is not liked by his B10 peers.
He is in good company though; neither are Dantonio, Meyer or Harbaugh.

Not trying to stir the pot. Just seemed that Ferentz’ handshake with Franklin was not very cordial. I’ve seen him do better than that. I guess it was a pretty emotional game though.

Ferentz should've said, "Best two out of three." Both he and Franklin could've resolved it with a good game of Twister.

Another sore loser - with an emphasis on LOSER - he should go to the Rutgress and sPitt board and hang with kindred souls and by that I mean other LOSERS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT