ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and Ferentz Handshake

AustinLion

Jul 9, 2001
Not trying to stir the pot. Just seemed that Ferentz’ handshake with Franklin was not very cordial. I’ve seen him do better than that. I guess it was a pretty emotional game though.

Sometimes I read the Iowa Wrestling board but haven’t read the Iowa football board until today.

One Iowa fan suggested he was upset because Franklin disrespected Pitt with the “Akron” comment and Ferentz is from Pittsburgh.

Talk about grasping at straws. What a weird world we live in.

Last edited:
Sometimes I read the Iowa Wrestling board but haven’t read the Iowa football board until today.

One Iowa fan suggested he was upset because Franklin disrespected Pitt with the “Akron” comment and Ferentz is from Pittsburgh.

Talk about reaching for straws. What a weird world we live in.

According to the Iowa board, Ferentz acted like a poor sport but it was somehow Franklin's fault.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Talk about reaching for straws. What a weird world we live in.

From reading the Iowa football and wrestling boards over the years there are many there that simply hate PSU and are always looking to be offended by something.

Come on everyone.....he just lost a heartbreaking game on the final play of the game. What's he (or Franklin) gonna do, discuss the final play call? The officiating? Dinner plans? The weather?

Unless he SAID something rude, which I sincerely doubt, I have no problem with the brief handshake.

Not trying to stir the pot. Just seemed that Ferentz’ handshake with Franklin was not very cordial. I’ve seen him do better than that. I guess it was a pretty emotional game though.
Yeah, you're not trying to stir the pot.

Reactions: bytir
For AustinLion and all the other conspiracy theorists, this is from a 2013 article.

"It just seems like everybody tries to read a lot into it," Ferentz said. "I don't know if you're supposed to hug people or shake hands. I really don't know what the protocol is. I can just tell you this, me personally, I think it's uncomfortable before a game to talk to an opponent, because we're both thinking about the same thing. Our team wants to beat their team; their team wants to beat ours.

"After the game, what do you say? If you win, what do you say? If you lose, what do you say?"

"I've been doing this for 15 years here and three at Maine and I still have not found a good thing to talk about before or after a game," Ferentz said. "If I were commissioner of sports, I'd say let's share our fellowship at meetings. . . .

"Everybody wants to read in who likes who. Sally's dating Joey and all that stuff. It's all silly stuff. I'm not thinking about that, I just want to get the hell in the locker room. Win, lose or draw, I want to get in the locker room and be with our team, period. Maybe that's wrong, but that's how I feel."

http://www.thegazette.com/2013/10/31/the-ritual-of-the-postgame-handshake

For AustinLion and all the other conspiracy theorists, this is from a 2013 article.

"It just seems like everybody tries to read a lot into it," Ferentz said. "I don't know if you're supposed to hug people or shake hands. I really don't know what the protocol is. I can just tell you this, me personally, I think it's uncomfortable before a game to talk to an opponent, because we're both thinking about the same thing. Our team wants to beat their team; their team wants to beat ours.

"After the game, what do you say? If you win, what do you say? If you lose, what do you say?"

"I've been doing this for 15 years here and three at Maine and I still have not found a good thing to talk about before or after a game," Ferentz said. "If I were commissioner of sports, I'd say let's share our fellowship at meetings. . . .

"Everybody wants to read in who likes who. Sally's dating Joey and all that stuff. It's all silly stuff. I'm not thinking about that, I just want to get the hell in the locker room. Win, lose or draw, I want to get in the locker room and be with our team, period. Maybe that's wrong, but that's how I feel."

http://www.thegazette.com/2013/10/31/the-ritual-of-the-postgame-handshake

BINGO!

Reactions: marshall23

He shaked his hand. What else do you expect after how the game ball was handled?

This thread is a good example of Fake News and of course, stiring the pot.

Hmm, how am I "stirring the pot" posting on my own board? I defended Ferentz in this thread.

"How the game ball was handled", don't be such a sore loser.

This thread is a good example of Fake News and of course, stiring the pot.
Why don't you and others give the 'fake news' meme a rest?

Your post is a good example of a shallow mind, crappy spelling and poor grammar (" ... and, of course, stirring the pot.")

Conspiracy Theorist? Lol! I’ve been called a lot but not that! Funny!

Anyway! Not a Conspiracy Theorist. Just an observation I made while watching the recorded game due to being out last night. I actually don’t give a rat’s ass how he handles it. Just seems like I’ve seen him do differently. I like Ferentz and I’ve always thought that he was pretty classy and I still do. Here’s the picture of him shaking Franklin’s hand after last years game.

Carry on fellas! :)

Edit. Obviously I read posts more than I have posted over the years, so I don’t know how to include the picture while on my iPad. Maybe some of you fellow Penn Staters can give me some tips!

You guys aren't going to like this, mostly because Penn State has obviously been attacked so much over the past few years, but...

Franklin is a douche bag. Ferentz gives respect where it's due and you can tell when he thinks it isn't due. I'd put Ferentz's character (and judgment of it) over about anyone that I know after watching him over the time he's been at Iowa. I'm hoping you guys can find someone who represents the university with the class it deserves (and coach winning football). Bill O'Brien was much more in line with who I think you guys deserve, and I would think Ferentz would be a great fit, but I also think he's the perfect fit for Iowa, so I'm not exactly willing to part with him.

Please keep in mind that this isn't an attack of any sort, just an observation and opinion. I'm someone that thought before our 2008 game that if a loss to Iowa would guarantee that Joe would win a national title, I'd be willing to take the loss.

Again, great game last night and would have no issue with the Lions running the table. Just wish you had someone at the helm who was a bit more deserving of the success. I hope he proves me wrong over time, but I'm incredibly skeptical.

You guys aren't going to like this, mostly because Penn State has obviously been attacked so much over the past few years, but...

Franklin is a douche bag. Ferentz gives respect where it's due and you can tell when he thinks it isn't due. I'd put Ferentz's character (and judgment of it) over about anyone that I know after watching him over the time he's been at Iowa. I'm hoping you guys can find someone who represents the university with the class it deserves (and coach winning football). Bill O'Brien was much more in line with who I think you guys deserve, and I would think Ferentz would be a great fit, but I also think he's the perfect fit for Iowa, so I'm not exactly willing to part with him.

Please keep in mind that this isn't an attack of any sort, just an observation and opinion. I'm someone that thought before our 2008 game that if a loss to Iowa would guarantee that Joe would win a national title, I'd be willing to take the loss.

Again, great game last night and would have no issue with the Lions running the table. Just wish you had someone at the helm who was a bit more deserving of the success. I hope he proves me wrong over time, but I'm incredibly skeptical.

Calling our coach a douche bag is not an attack?? Get the **** out of here .... I will very much look forward to Cael and crew kicking your ass at the BJC

I see you came in peace and I appreciate your honest feelings and sentiments about Joe. So, please then share how you arrived at your opinion of Franklin. Curious to hear what you have to say.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I don't agree. CJF has been nothing but a great leader and representative of the university. He is as hard working as I've ever seen. Some old school guys may not like how hard he plays to win or how much rope he gives the players, but he is always well spoken and speaks positively about the competition (except Pitt). There are some decisions he makes I don't like, but I don't know of a single thing he has done that I fundamentally disagree with in terms of his representation of the school. If you can give me some, glad to hear them.

This isn't an attack, but BrewHawk you're a douchebag. Again, this isn't an attack so don't take it personally. Just an observation.

Yeah you are going to have to expand upon this.

All right, let's be real for a moment. Of course it was a heartbreaking loss, but you are a professional coach and you should handle some of these things with class.
Franklin was trying to say something to him and Ferentz barely touched his hand long enough to qualify as a handshake, and then turned around and sprinted away before Franklin could say a word. From how complimentary Franklin was in the post game press conference, he was probably just trying to offer the man a compliment on how well his team battled, but he didn't get the chance to do so.
It was not a huge deal, but let's not make excuses for the man. It was poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Sorry guys, I'm over wins and losses at this point (you kinda have to be as an Iowa fan) and just hope for the best representation of my university. I think you guys could do better than Franklin (I think it's evident by the postgame handshake that Ferentz feels the same way, as he is usually quite warm and respectful) and will leave it at that.

Best of luck with the rest of your season. Hope he isn't crossing any lines that does the university any further damage.

Sorry guys, I'm over wins and losses at this point and just hope for the best representation of my university. I think you guys could do better than Franklin (I think it's evident by the postgame handshake that Ferentz feels the same way, as he is usually quite warm and respectful) and will leave it at that.

Best of luck with the rest of your season. Hope he isn't crossing any lines that does the university any further damage.

Now you are just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. If you have some specifics then spit it out.

Reactions: Aloha T
Sorry guys, I'm over wins and losses at this point (you kinda have to be as an Iowa fan) and just hope for the best representation of my university. I think you guys could do better than Franklin (I think it's evident by the postgame handshake that Ferentz feels the same way, as he is usually quite warm and respectful) and will leave it at that.

Ok, but you still don't elaborate anything here to give us insight why Franklin is a DB. We really don't need Ferentz telling us our coach isn't the man for the job. Even if he feels that way, he should have shown a touch of class. Franklin is always gracious to the other team, win or lose.

BrewHawk-if he disrespects Franklin so much, why such a cordial handshake LAST YEAR? Google it! So he lost respect from last year to now??

I agree. I think PSU should hire a new coach because Kirk Ferentz thinks our current coach is mean.

ADVERTISEMENT