ADVERTISEMENT

First major band you saw. When, where and age.

Van Halen's Monsters of Rock, Giants Stadium, 1988. Opening acts, in order of appearance:

Kingdom Come (who?!)
Metallica
Dokken
Scorpions

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Beatles at Shea in ‘65! One of the opening acts was “The Young Rascals”! I was 13! Bus tour from my hometown. Went with my buddy and his college age sister!

Reactions: Fac
Never saw any musical group. Some local bands at dances but never any major group. No bullshit. My wife thinks she dragged me to see Richie Havens but she is not sure, would have been about 1971 so she is not sure. I have no recollection. Other than that scare, no one, no way now how.

Blue Oyster Cult- Rec Hall 1980, I was 14

I was arrested for public drunkenness. My parents had to come pick me up. My 19 year old brother took me to the concert. We went to some friends of his in Briarwood before the concert. We played quarters. My brother was very good at quarters and I was his primary victim. I lied so that he would not get in trouble but I was grounded for 3 months. I could not listen to BOC for years.
This was my first major concert as well! Never expected anyone else to post this as theirs, let alone only 8 posts into the thread.

Reactions: Fac
Santana, The Clash and The Who outside at JFK Stadium in 1982. A little known local Philly band opened the show ... The Hooters. And it was the same day as the PSU-Nebraska game (yes, the Kirk Bowman last 3 seconds game)!!! My dad never let me live that down.
I was at that show also. It was brutally hot, the couple in front of me were strung out on Meth. The girl kept taking her shirt off because it was so hot.

I was a freshman at PSU then.

I was at that show also. It was brutally hot, the couple in front of me were strung out on Meth. The girl kept taking her shirt off because it was so hot.

Nice! Unfortunately I didn't sit close to you since I would probably remember the girl.

I was a sophomore at PSU and went down with my good friend who did not go to college, so he was clearly not in as good "drinking condition" as me. He doesn't remember the Hooters at all, puked during Santana, but luckily rallied for The Clash and Who. Still remember getting home late, my dad was still up and asked him how the game went. His response ... "You missed the best game you will ever see in person!" He was right until I went to the 87 Fiesta Bowl.

Also was at that show. Gave up my ticket to push v neb to go with my girl

Reactions: psuro
Nice! Unfortunately I didn't sit close to you since I would probably remember the girl.

I was a sophomore at PSU and went down with my good friend who did not go to college, so he was clearly not in as good "drinking condition" as me. He doesn't remember the Hooters at all, puked during Santana, but luckily rallied for The Clash and Who. Still remember getting home late, my dad was still up and asked him how the game went. His response ... "You missed the best game you will ever see in person!" He was right until I went to the 87 Fiesta Bowl.

I seem to recall Joe Strummer asking the crowd how many did not want them there -it was about 25%. I also remember someone throwing a bottle of “orange soda” at The Clash

The Hooters and Santana were well received.

Never saw any musical group. Some local bands at dances but never any major group. No bullshit. My wife thinks she dragged me to see Richie Havens but she is not sure, would have been about 1971 so she is not sure. I have no recollection. Other than that scare, no one, no way now how.
Use this as needed:
SOfAEwF.jpg

I seem to recall Joe Strummer asking the crowd how many did not want them there -it was about 25%. I also remember someone throwing a bottle of “orange soda” at The Clash

The Hooters and Santana were well received.
Our seats were so far away it was hard to see what was being thrown. Saw some disturbing stuff too, but the worst was the guy who passed out with his head in the trough toilet at old JFK. Most people (including myself) were nice enough to pee downstream of him, but a few didn't show the same courtesy.

Found this online (not mine):

large_The_Who.jpg

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show
Billy Preston
Eagles
Lou Reed
Slade

Spectrum in Philly maybe 1973. was some type fund raiser/ charity event and had all these other bands listed who never showed up. I would have been 13 in 73. No one knew who the Eagles were and they crushed it, were really amazing. Billy Preston was amazing. Lou Reed had this bass player Prakesh John who in his high platform shoes looked about 6' 8" (there is a video of this version of his band playing Sweet Jane live in Paris you can find on the internet). Slade who was the "main act" was totally forgettable.
Wow - I would have loved to have been there. I've seen the old Eagles (meh). Would have loved to see young Dr. Hook. They belong in the fuhof (my name for it).

Summer of 94 or 95 Metallica......Guns N Roses supposed to open, but called in sick. Instead, got Candlebox, lucky me

Prince Purple Rain Tour w/ Sheila E
at the Aud in Buffalo
Dec 1984
I was 16 and took a bus from NW PA, got home at something like 3AM and my mom made me go to school the next morning

Prince was such an awesome entertainer, this was the first of several shows I saw him.

I wore purple pants. Wish I still had those

Rush

Philadelphia Spectrum 4/29/94. I won tickets off the radio and got (forced) my mom to take me and a buddy.

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show
Billy Preston
Eagles
Lou Reed
Slade

Spectrum in Philly maybe 1973. was some type fund raiser/ charity event and had all these other bands listed who never showed up. I would have been 13 in 73. No one knew who the Eagles were and they crushed it, were really amazing. Billy Preston was amazing. Lou Reed had this bass player Prakesh John who in his high platform shoes looked about 6' 8" (there is a video of this version of his band playing Sweet Jane live in Paris you can find on the internet). Slade who was the "main act" was totally forgettable.
It was night one of the WFIL, 560 on your radio dial, Helping Hand Weekend Concerts.

While everything you say is true, Slade also killed it and were at the time setting the pace for British Metal arriving on our shores. If you remember, The lead singer, Noddy Holder was a Supreme snowman wearing a top hat with reflective crushed mirror and the spotlight ripping off his hat was killer.

The next day that we didn’t get a chance to attend included Stevie Wonder and John Lennon in the lineup.

The Eagles were incredible and I believe it was 1972. We saw Uriah Heep with Earth Wind And Fire along with ZZTop on their first tour at the Allentown Fairgrounds.

73, 74, and 75 we saw countless shows, all memorable. The Old Man’s Van got quite the workout in the Schuylkill Expressway those years.

Last edited:
Jr. Walker and the Allstars, fall of 1967 at California State College, Pa. I spent my Freshman year there before transferring to University Park for the summer of 68 session.

In the summers of ‘66, ‘67 & ‘68, I went to the Raven in Middletown , just below Harrisburg. I remember seeing Gladys Knight an d the PIps, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Mary Wells, The Four Tops, [local group] the Magnificant Men. I think I saw the Temptations there but I am not sure. I was 18-20.
Just told my husband I thought I saw Gladys Knight at the Raven around that time. Craziest time was when a friend and I went to see Jackie Wilson at Club Harlem in Atlantic City at age 16. Told my parents we were going to the boardwalk. Barely had enough for the cover charge. Think some guy bought us Cokes.

Yes, our musical tastes differ, but the music we listened to in our early years makes up the soundtrack of our lives. And who cares about those concerts with the other guys.

Reactions: phillybillyreprise
Springsteen with the other band on the Humman Touch/Lucky Town tour. I’m not a big concert goer in general.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT