ADVERTISEMENT

First major band you saw. When, where and age.

Three Dog Night
Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Guessing 1974 - age 17
Dr Hook and the Medicine Show
Billy Preston
Eagles
Lou Reed
Slade

Spectrum in Philly maybe 1973. was some type fund raiser/ charity event and had all these other bands listed who never showed up. I would have been 13 in 73. No one knew who the Eagles were and they crushed it, were really amazing. Billy Preston was amazing. Lou Reed had this bass player Prakesh John who in his high platform shoes looked about 6' 8" (there is a video of this version of his band playing Sweet Jane live in Paris you can find on the internet). Slade who was the "main act" was totally forgettable.

Reactions: MtNittany
Three Dog Night
Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Guessing 1974 - age 17

Simon and Garfunkel
Grove City College Gymnasium
1966-age 19
Needless to say, not yet a major band

Doobie Brothers, 1976 at the late great civic arena. I was 16. Boston was supposed to be the opening act but their truck broke down.

June 21, 1980 - Civic Arena - John Denver: I was 8...great showman/storyteller...my parents took me and I was so mad because my cousins (who I grew up with) were going to see Empire Strikes Back that night...to their credit, they never told me about Vader/Luke.

Oct. 6, 1986 - Civic Arena - Bon Jovi: 14 years old...first show sans parents (with older cousins)...Cinderella opened...looking back, yeah he was a little pop, but great show (at least, I remember having a blast).

May '73. Jethro Tull in Hershey. I was 13 and enjoyed the playboy bunnies that kept bringing stuff to Ian Anderson. Towels, drinks, whatever.

Pink Floyd in 1987, was a junior in high school. I attended 3 concerts on that tour.

In the summers of ‘66, ‘67 & ‘68, I went to the Raven in Middletown , just below Harrisburg. I remember seeing Gladys Knight an d the PIps, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Mary Wells, The Four Tops, [local group] the Magnificant Men. I think I saw the Temptations there but I am not sure. I was 18-20.

Reactions: vops
One of my first concerts was Chicago at the Civic Arena in the summer of ‘75 (I think).
Opened the roof of the Igloo during the show that night. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.
Aerosmith/ZZ Top at Three Rivers Stadium was a helluva show. Saw Kiss when they were first getting started at the Erie County Fieldhouse, a pretty small venue. That was wild. Those were in the ‘76 time frame. (I’m not good on dates back that far.)

I don't remember my first but I recall seeing Edgar Winter, Billy Joel, and Loggins & Messina in Rec Hall in the 70s.
and Steve Miller Band. Billy Joel was actually the lead for Eric Carmen. Eric Carmen got snowed in in Chicago and did't make it. Billy Joel did the whole show and was fantastic.

Reactions: Fac and bdgan
Alice Cooper (Welcome to my Nightmare tour)
The James Gang

Hershey Farm Show Arena

Reactions: Fac
Santana, The Clash and The Who outside at JFK Stadium in 1982. A little known local Philly band opened the show ... The Hooters. And it was the same day as the PSU-Nebraska game (yes, the Kirk Bowman last 3 seconds game)!!! My dad never let me live that down.

Started at 8 or nine and lasted to 430 am, parents were pissed when I got home. 14 or 15 at the time. It was trippy.
I have seen the “Dead” many times but the best was a 2 day concert at RFK in D.C. with the Allman Brothers. The second night (Sunday) they jammed together until 2:30 am. Last song Johnny B Goode with Betts, Weir and Garcia on guitars...

ELO, May 1978. I was 22. Cologne, Germany, on their "Out of the Blue and into Germany" tour) at the Sporthalle (which was an odd venue due to the fact that it was also used for cycling). 18 DM, as I recall (about $8-10). There's a cd out of the concert they played not long before that at the original Wembley stadium which has a very similar playlist. Big laser show too. Odd though the tricks memory plays on us, as I thought they opened with Turn to Stone, but the setlist shows otherwise. Got to see them again at Nationwide Arena last year, and they were really good, though I think only Jeff Lynne is left from that line up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT