ADVERTISEMENT

Ferrari in Black and Gold

I don't want NCAA wrestling to become a sideshow. Need 10 weights for Olympics. Credability in the world.
It’s only Iowa wrestling that’s a “sideshow”. I prefer clown show, but regardless…. Since the double-birds, I have not been able to quit smiling. My girlfriend is convinced I’ve been to the dispensary.

Who do you guys think matches up the best against mr. Fast twit?
Brooks, sloan, hidlay, poznanski?
since this is a psu forum I’d assume brooks will be the majority of picks.
‘but who else will abuse the twit?
AB obviously, but Hidlay is a level above the rest. I’d pick him to beat Freshman AJ. The rest might too, if he remains where he was at the soldier salute.

Reactions: goldenanimal
AB obviously, but Hidlay is a level above the rest. I’d pick him to beat Freshman AJ. The rest might too, if he remains where he was at the soldier salute.
I'd expect Buchanan and Elam to give him a lot of trouble. Possibly Cardenas. And Beard's pace could be an issue.

IMO Ferrari's conditioning will be an issue all year. Anyone who can make him expend a lot of energy early, without giving him easy counter takedowns, has a shot. Glazier did that without even pushing the pace.

Who do you guys think matches up the best against mr. Fast twit?
Brooks, sloan, hidlay, poznanski?
since this is a psu forum I’d assume brooks will be the majority of picks.
‘but who else will abuse the twit?
Elam and Hidlay for me. Hidlay is aggressive against everyone not named Aaron Brooks and I think his underhook and especially how he gets to it could cause Ferrari problems. Elam with his length would be an issue. Askren said how strong he is when he gets his hands locked and can pull people in even being fully extended. You saw it last night with his first td. He was completely extended but was able to pull the leg in and somehow get the Td. He’s pretty good on top as well. I would also throw Sloan in just because he has an incredible top game. If he could wear AJ out from neutral maybe he could take advantage from top

Elam and Hidlay for me. Hidlay is aggressive against everyone not named Aaron Brooks and I think his underhook and especially how he gets to it could cause Ferrari problems. Elam with his length would be an issue. Askren said how strong he is when he gets his hands locked and can pull people in even being fully extended. You saw it last night with his first td. He was completely extended but was able to pull the leg in and somehow get the Td. He’s pretty good on top as well. I would also throw Sloan in just because he has an incredible top game. If he could wear AJ out from neutral maybe he could take advantage from top
Hidlay looks much better at 197 this year and he looked damn good at 184.

Reactions: nerfstate
Me, too. All for saying bringing up Sandusky in connection with PSU wrestling was about as bad as bringing up Gable's sister in connection with Iowa wrestling.
This is a pretty bad take, Matter. Gable’s teenage sister was a victim of sexual assault and murdered. I can’t think of any forum topic where bringing this up is appropriate. Equating it to a PSU football coach who sexually assaulted kids is really low. As a PSU fan, I agree that this topic has no place in PSU wrestling discussions or ties to PSU wrestling. But, trying to sell a sympathetic common connection between sexual assault on minors perpetrator Sandusky and sexual assault and murder victim Gable’s sister is beneath you. You’re much smarter and classier than that.

I'd expect Buchanan and Elam to give him a lot of trouble. Possibly Cardenas. And Beard's pace could be an issue.

IMO Ferrari's conditioning will be an issue all year. Anyone who can make him expend a lot of energy early, without giving him easy counter takedowns, has a shot. Glazier did that without even pushing the pace.
Beards pace?? You serious?
If PD4 can get to the 3rd against Beard i’d say advantage Ferrari.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Hidlay looks much better at 197 this year and he looked damn good at 184.
The Hidlay match will be interesting, but could be a yawn fest wrestled at the edge the whole match. It has the potential to go to 2OT either 0-0 or 1-1 at the end of regulation. Both are very strong, hard to take down, and don't have much offense at all when facing top competition. I hope they meet, just to see what if. I call Hidlay.

Saturdays version of AJ will be hard pressed to make the podium, he’s got a LOT of room for improvement.

Me, too. All for saying bringing up Sandusky in connection with PSU wrestling was about as bad as bringing up Gable's sister in connection with Iowa wrestling.
I am sure we all agree Sandusky references wherever used are a signal GIA has lost the argument, whatever the topic. In the end there are no ties whatsoever ever to the wrestling program. In time the same will not hold true for the Iowa program IMO.

Well, on the bright side of things, by the time the 5 Ferrari men (I have to include the dad and uncle Carmine for sure) get done with the Iowa program we will have that trump card forever more.

5-10 years from now, if one of them comes over here spewing historical hate, all that we will need is a one word reply "Ferrari" and they will have to slink away in shame.

The GIA response would be something like "If anyone could help him it's Tom and Terry". "We can bring him in on a short leash". "No second chances starting now". "Did you see his athletic ability with that leap, he's a guaranteed AA and team points this year".
Precisely.

In fairness though, it's a phenomenon that's not unique to GIA or sports fanbases more broadly. For example, the number of times that law firms have brought in lateral raging assholes with perceived big books of business as partners, telling themselves "we can change him/her and bring him/her into our culture", only to have to get rid of him/her within 3 years, is more numerous than the stars in the night sky.

The Hidlay match will be interesting, but could be a yawn fest wrestled at the edge the whole match. It has the potential to go to 2OT either 0-0 or 1-1 at the end of regulation. Both are very strong, hard to take down, and don't have much offense at all when facing top competition. I hope they meet, just to see what if. I call Hidlay.

This is an incredibly unfair take on Hidlay. He wrestles Brooks near the edge because he knows that his only chance is to keep it close and come through with one big takedwown for the win. He does not wrestle others like that at all. He's actually pretty damn aggressive. I've heard this take regarding him for too long. Yes, he wrestles the edge against Brooks, which is a show of respect and his trying a strategy to win. He is NOT a boring or stalling type of wrestler by any means!

This is an incredibly unfair take on Hidlay. He wrestles Brooks near the edge because he knows that his only chance is to keep it close and come through with one big takedwown for the win. He does not wrestle others like that at all. He's actually pretty damn aggressive. I've heard this take regarding him for too long. Yes, he wrestles the edge against Brooks, which is a show of respect and his trying a strategy to win. He is NOT a boring or stalling type of wrestler by any means!
The last time Trent tried wrestling his typical attacking style vs AB:

Granted, there are true consequences to playing the edge in Freestyle, but still…

The last time Trent tried wrestling his typical attacking style vs AB:

Granted, there are true consequences to playing the edge in Freestyle, but still…

Exactly. AB is a different animal. I have spoken to Trent, and I'm not going to talk about exactly what was said, but, lets just say, he has a strategy against AB that he feels gives him his best chance. I just haven't enjoyed the comments on here that Trent is a defensive wrestler who plays the edge. Yes, he did against AB. Against others, that absolutely is NOT his style. He is an absolute beast. If not for AB being in his weight, he would be quite accomplished at this point. (not that he isn't pretty damn accomplished with him there)

Exactly. AB is a different animal. I have spoken to Trent, and I'm not going to talk about exactly what was said, but, lets just say, he has a strategy against AB that he feels gives him his best chance. I just haven't enjoyed the comments on here that Trent is a defensive wrestler who plays the edge. Yes, he did against AB. Against others, that absolutely is NOT his style. He is an absolute beast. If not for AB being in his weight, he would be quite accomplished at this point. (not that he isn't pretty damn accomplished with him there)
Totally--not out of the realm of possibility that Trent would be the guy going for his 4th natty this year if it weren't for Aaron. The way Trent dismantled Beard this year was something to see.

Reactions: hlstone
Totally--not out of the realm of possibility that Trent would be the guy going for his 4th natty this year if it weren't for Aaron. The way Trent dismantled Beard this year was something to see.
Gotta give the guy props for not staying at 84. Had to have been prohibitive favorite there.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT