ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz should be licking his chops....

Because nobody gave us a chance in 2012 at Iowa, during a night game. Being a heavy Road favorite is much different. Michigan was a 7+ favorite last year at Iowa. So was Penn State in 2008. It's much easier to sneak up on somebody when you're not expected to win the game, as in 2012. Plus, in 2012, there wasn't much film on Bill O'Brien's offense yet. After blowing them out last year, I highly doubt we can bring anything to this game that Iowa doesn't already know about.

So what will Iowa be able to bring that Penn State doesn't know about? You really think in the B1G Championship Game we shocked Wisky with a whole new offense that they never saw before? Scored 38. The Rose Bowl? Scored 49. If we execute, we'll score points. And maybe bunches of them. If Iowa can keep up, good on them. That's not their MO but we'll see.

I'd bet Iowa is better than Pitt.

I know it's heresy here to not state that Penn St will easily win every game by 21 points but there will come a time when the offense just isn't clicking or PSU finds itself in a close game late. Sooner or later PSU is going to be in a dogfight and need the D to get crucial stops.

The linebacker play has been pretty average so far. Stopping the run and poor tackling have been an issue at times. That's a concern as PSU heads into more talented teams on the schedule, often on the road.

I posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating here. Pitt showed up to play against us. Nobody can deny they had a pretty good game plan. Over the course of the season, Iowa is probably better, but I think Pitt put it all out there for us and kept it closer than one would expect.

Reactions: psu1969a and psu00
Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?
Team shouldn't get on the plane, I guess.

Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?
Just one small stat to show you have no idea what you are talking about is that PSU outrushed GA State on 25 fewer carries. We have a very whimpy fan base.

Don't agree completely, but the line match-ups do concern me. Your post is not totally out of line. No pun intended.

Don't agree completely, but the line match-ups do concern me. Your post is not totally out of line. No pun intended.

I think our Oline will do just fine against their Dline, especially in pass defense. If they try to get pressure just bringing 4, they will have a tough time getting to McSorley.

Reactions: psu1969a
So what will Iowa be able to bring that Penn State doesn't know about? You really think in the B1G Championship Game we shocked Wisky with a whole new offense that they never saw before? Scored 38. The Rose Bowl? Scored 49. If we execute, we'll score points. And maybe bunches of them. If Iowa can keep up, good on them. That's not their MO but we'll see.

Agreed. Here are my concerns though ('concern'; no one here is panicking). Right now our DL and OL do not look as controlling on the LOS as they did late last year. Take the OL for example. On paper, it should be better. Much better. But were these first three games better for the offense of line compared to the last three games of last season? Now, I get it. I get that it usually takes a few, maybe even a half-dozen games for the offense of line to build up continuity. So, to that end, by the end of the year I believe this offense of line will be rather dominant. I also get the tendency to play down to your opponent, and that PSU should be more fired up tomorrow than vs. GA State at home.

However we're not playing Iowa at the end of the year. We're playing them tomorrow. IMO Iowa has a much better chance at home against Penn State tomorrow then they would in November. Much like Michigan had a better chance against Penn State early in the year then later in the year. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying we won't win. I'm not even saying there is no chance that we won't blow the barn doors down. All I'm saying is that is that this game could be a lot closer, tougher than the oddsmakers think.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating here. Pitt showed up to play against us. Nobody can deny they had a pretty good game plan. Over the course of the season, Iowa is probably better, but I think Pitt put it all out there for us and kept it closer than one would expect.

They kept it "close" in the sense that they executed a game plan to hold the ball and not get blasted when down 14-0. They made no threat to win the game at any point and essentially were waving the white flag in the 1st quarter.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Agreed. Here are my concerns though ('concern'; no one here is panicking). Right now our DL and OL do not look as controlling on the LOS as they did late last year. Take the OL for example. On paper, it should be better. Much better. But were these first three games better for the offense of line compared to the last three games of last season? Now, I get it. I get that it usually takes a few, maybe even a half-dozen games for the offense of line to build up continuity. So, to that end, by the end of the year I believe this offense of line will be rather dominant. I also get the tendency to play down to your opponent, and that PSU should be more fired up tomorrow than vs. GA State at home.

If this Iowa defense was clicking, I think we'd have reason to be more concerned. Maybe they are waiting to break out and it's not being recognized, but they couldn't contain Iowa State (granted road game and rivalry), but I think our offense just has too many factors for Iowa to be very effective.

However we're not playing Iowa at the end of the year. We're playing them tomorrow. IMO Iowa has a much better chance at home against Penn State tomorrow then they would in November. Much like Michigan had a better chance against Penn State early in the year then later in the year. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying we won't win. I'm not even saying there is no chance that we won't blow the barn doors down. All I'm saying is that is that this game could be a lot closer, tougher than the oddsmakers think.

MSU controlled the LOS in the first half of last year's game and got blow out. Wisky controlled the LOS for the 1st half of last year's game and lost. Not sure the line was "better" last year. I think we will see some different things in this game (less blitzing, more motion from the RB) than we have seen so far this year.

Reactions: VaLion'92
If this Iowa defense was clicking, I think we'd have reason to be more concerned. Maybe they are waiting to break out and it's not being recognized, but they couldn't contain Iowa State (granted road game and rivalry), but I think our offense just has too many factors for Iowa to be very effective.

Ferentz has played a conservative defense so far this season. He didn't want to show Penn State anything.

I guess I'm in the camp that our O and D have not hit their stride yet or played down to competition. They didn't have to be lights out. Turnovers and our punt coverage & return game have been bigger difference makers in the first 3 games.

I know it's Iowa State and all, but their QB and receivers are not slouches in any manner. Both Butler and Lazard will be playing on Sundays.

Understood, just saying that there's a reason Iowa State scored. It was definitely a learning experience for our secondary. That FS has since been demoted.

PSU running game vs. IA run defense - advantage Iowa. I'm hoping that Mahon's return will help. Also hoping that McSorley will keep the ball early and take the focus off of Barkley.

IA run game vs. PSU run defense - advantage Iowa. Cam Brown might help a bit but PSU's OLBs and DEs are a concern.

PSU passing game vs. IA pass defense - advantage PSU.

IA passing game vs. PSU pass defense - advantage PSU

Special teams - advantage PSU

I disagree that Iowa has an advantage when it comes to PSU rush O vs. Iowa rush D. Iowa's secondary, especially the safeties, has been the biggest weakness on the team. Unless Phil Parker departs radically from everything he's done since taking over as Iowa defensive coordinator in 2013, PSU will see Cover 2 on 60%+ of snaps. Not to mention former AA CB Desmond King is now in the NFL, so it will be zone coverage all night with great emphasis on cutting down the chunk plays. I don't think we'll see the SS moving up very often for run support.

Much of Pitt's and GA State's 'success' in limiting PSU's run game was 8 in the box/run blitz, which I doubt we'll see much from the Hawks tomorrow night. McSorley had open receivers all afternoon vs. Pitt that he either missed or didn't see and GA State needs no explanation. Add Mahon in the lineup and Gonzo back at LG and I think Saquon will see more holes than he did the last two weeks.

FWIW, both Iowa State and UNT fared reasonably well in the ground game although the latter is a rather small sample size of 112 yards on 17 attempts.

Last edited:

Wow, what a pessimist! maybe we better forfeit right now and avoid the embarrassment? I have a feeling that we win this game big and play our best game yet this season! Our offense will score in any way Iowa wants to play, as we'll take what they give us. If they want to play the line to TRY to stop Barkley, than bombs away to out receivers or to SB out of the backfield. If they try to play back and defend against big passing plays, then we'll run it down their throats. Pick you poison Iowa, and Lionhearted, perhaps you may want to take that poison now so you don't have to watch!

Reactions: denniskembala
[QUOTE="VaLion'92, post: 2992012, member: 4310"
However we're not playing Iowa at the end of the year. We're playing them tomorrow. IMO Iowa has a much better chance at home against Penn State tomorrow then they would in November. Much like Michigan had a better chance against Penn State early in the year then later in the year.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with you for two reasons, 1) I believe that Iowa, historically, plays better ball later in the year, against us in 2008 and against Michigan last year are good examples, and 2) the weather tomorrow night will be almost ideal for our offense to gel, in November, its certainly going to be colder, and if there's rain or snow, our offense will no doubt be compromised in those conditions. Our offense with the skill players we have is our biggest strength, and playing this game in better weather situations is to our advantage.

Reactions: VaLion'92
Agree. Last year PSU's defense was pretty bad when Bell & Cabinda were injured. They were much better when those two returned, then gave up 17 fourth quarter points to USC after Bell got hurt.

The hope this year was that Bowen, Farmer, Brown, etc. would be much improved and that the added depth would offset the loss of Bell. It's early but we haven't seen that yet.

It is early. Tacking will improve. Play recognition will improve. And it is worth noting they've been good in coverage and really good getting to the edge.

Plus it is scheme to some degree. Pry is super aggressive, and maybe he's willing to give up a few 1st downs in exchange for TFLs, sacks, turnovers.

How did that work out for them last year? Oh wait...PSU wasn't dominant up front either. You're not negative, but you are looking for attention.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Plus it is scheme to some degree. Pry is super aggressive, and maybe he's willing to give up a few 1st downs in exchange for TFLs, sacks, turnovers.

That certainly seems to be part of it.

Are you serious?
This post is tongue in cheek, right?

All totally fair points. Here's another point and, sorry, it's far from original: Football is a game of emotions. Iowa is playing at home, under the lights, in the national spotlight, having been blown out last year by the Lions. Yeah, there will be a lot of emotion on the Hawkeye side of the ball, no question.

As a betting man, no way do I lay the points in this game. As a die-hard Penn State fan, I'm worrying. A lot.

If we go in there and our defense plays to the level of its 3-week statistics, if our offense performs to the level of its media hype, if we handle a very good conference team on the road, then I think we'll end up ranked among the top three teams in the country this Sunday and when Michigan comes calling on October 21.

Hopefully, that's going to be the scenario.

On the other hand, let's face it -- all this is incredible. I mean, when the NCAA bastards imposed what they expected to be fatal penalties on our program, and the media bastards applauded wholeheartedly, who would have dreamed that just a few short years later we'd be in the national championship conversation. No way could this happen for any other program in the country.

Therefore, whatever happens on Saturday night, let's keep everything in perspective. We've got a great coach and great team. And things are going to get even better down the road.

Akron played at Penn State and hosted Iowa State.

PSU 52
ISU 41

Not sure it says anything, but Akron gives up points.

Pitt was close to a 0-3 program right now. Iowa could have been 2-1.

PSU is playing first true road game in 2017, after Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers wins last year on road.

Lone losses were last year at Pitt and at Michigan.

PSU defense gave up 41 points last year to Pitt. By season's end, Northwestern beat Pitt 31-24.

Iowa has an improved passing game with QB Nate Stanley, who is a true sophomore now, as C.J. Beathard's backup last year.

He had 2 TDs scratched against North Texas, due to fumble at goal line and unsportsmanlike conduct.

He has 10 TDs and only one interception. He is playing well. Iowa has 3 solid RBs, and Akrum Wadley is #2 to Barkley, who is clearly #1 overall in the country. But, in the passing game, Wadley is #2 behind Barkley.

It will be an interesting chess match. Penn State is clearly the better team on paper.

Of course, any given Saturday we may see a top team fall? Iowa has 3 wins, since 2010 against Top 5 teams.

Iowa has a tall order at Kinnick. Is there any magic at Kinnick tomorrow?

Iowa has a better TE and WR corp compared to last year. Iowa has played two awful B1G games in three years. Minnesota and Penn State on the road were examples.

The Minnesota game last year, 29-26 in OT. The Gophers lost, but balance run and pass will be important as a formula to keep a game close.

Only Michigan rolled the Nittany Lions last year. Of course, the Wolverines were favored by -18. They were a -21 favorite in Iowa City last year. Funny, the fell.

It will be a good B1G opener tomorrow. Margin for error is thin for Iowa, as a +12.5 underdog.

Michigan was #4 last year in Ann Arbor. Now, Penn State is #4. How the East has turned in 12 month.

yes...don't overlook Polk.

Barkley, Gisicki, McSorely, Blacknall, Polk, Hamilton, Johnson...good luck stopping that.

Blacknall hasnt done much this year. a couple catches vs a very weak GSU team. i thought he was going to be better, but has not been open.

Isn't last year ... last year?

He has some points. Decent amount of success with running up the middle in those first 3 games by less talented teams and lots of missed tackles.
Iowa is better than they were last year but so is Penn State. I heard all the same things being said last year and many pundits picked Iowa to win . 41-14...not quite what we heard was going to happen.

yes...don't overlook Polk.

Barkley, Gisicki, McSorely, Blacknall, Polk, Hamilton, Johnson...good luck stopping that.
The only problem with Polk is that he's so fast that McSorely can't throw it far enough for him to catch it in stride. Perhaps Trace can just chuck it up there while Polk stands there and waits for the ball to arrive.:)

PSU passing vs. Iowa secondary is a big mismatch in PSU's favor. I say throw the ball until they stop it.

Iowas offense is ranked 78 in the country
The only problem with Polk is that he's so fast that McSorely can't throw it far enough for him to catch it in stride. Perhaps Trace can just chuck it up there while Polk stands there and waits for the ball to arrive.:)

JoMo, Trace, and the receivers are licking their chops when they look at the Iowa secondary. If Iowa can put up 41 in 22 minutes, I think PSU may be able to do as well with our skill position people.

PSU coaches just might have a few cards left in their hand to play on both sides of the ball. I guess we will see tomorrow.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
On the contrary, Unlike You, Ferentz is an intelligent man with integrity. So, he is not licking his chops.

Will await your excuse when we dominate both sides of the line and have a final score around 42-10 (barring complete ref involvement, which is entirely possible in the BIG). The NCAA will probably then drop us to 5th as just not BIG enough of a win! Don't see your logic or in-depth analysis, on any planet. As that famous song goes..."Feelin stronger every day", on every level. Dominating the line of scrimmage is not how RPO works. Its a process Richard

Will await your excuse when we dominate both sides of the line and have a final score around 42-10 (barring complete ref involvement, which is entirely possible in the BIG). The NCAA will probably then drop us to 5th as just not BIG enough of a win! Don't see your logic or in-depth analysis, on any planet. As that famous song goes..."Feelin stronger every day", on every level. Dominating the line of scrimmage is not how RPO works. Its a process Richie

Iowa will be up for this game ... if turn overs aren't an issue for Iowa, I believe this one will be close into the 4th quarter. It will be 92 degrees in Iowa City tomorrow, whichever team is in better condition will have a great advantage. It should be an interesting game. Go Hawks!

Iowa will be up for this game ... if turn overs aren't an issue for Iowa, I believe this one will be close into the 4th quarter. It will be 92 degrees in Iowa City tomorrow, whichever team is in better condition will have a great advantage. It should be an interesting game. Go Hawks!
Will actually be about 80 at game time but if you think the weather is your ally, go with it. We Are...and always will be!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT