ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz should be licking his chops....

Pitt controlled the ball, ran the clock, and wore down Penn State AFTER PSU led by 2 scores in the first 7-8 minutes of play. They lost by 19, never got within 10. They are gonna do to us what Pitt did? Ok.
And the final score was 33-14. What's your point?

I disagree that Iowa has an advantage when it comes to PSU rush O vs. Iowa rush D. Iowa's secondary, especially the safeties, has been the biggest weakness on the team. Unless Phil Parker departs radically from everything he's done since taking over as Iowa defensive coordinator in 2013, PSU will see Cover 2 on 60%+ of snaps. Not to mention former AA CB Desmond King is now in the NFL, so it will be zone coverage all night with great emphasis on cutting down the chunk plays. I don't think we'll see the SS moving up very often for run support.

Much of Pitt's and GA State's 'success' in limiting PSU's run game was 8 in the box/run blitz, which I doubt we'll see much from the Hawks tomorrow night. McSorley had open receivers all afternoon vs. Pitt that he either missed or didn't see and GA State needs no explanation. Add Mahon in the lineup and Gonzo back at LG and I think Saquon will see more holes than he did the last two weeks.

FWIW, both Iowa State and UNT fared reasonably well in the ground game although the latter is a rather small sample size of 112 yards on 17 attempts.

Not sure King would help, he got smoked last year against PSU.

Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?
bottom line.....first hand off to 26 if iowa blows it up, long day. if 26 goes for 6 7 8 9 yds, all bets off. big day for 26

Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?
dude............some of the board beatin ya up!!

There are some concerns. Iowa is clearly going to try to control the game by ball possession and running the clock. They've apparently had success with this in early games. It will be up to the PSU defense to shut Iowa down and prevent this. If the D comes out flat or plays like it has at times so far this season- it could be a long night at Kinnick.

Let's face it though- neither Iowa or PSU have played a team as good as they will this week. PSU will need to up the defense game especially against the run and stop missing tackles.

Everyone focuses on the great offense but the D can't let Iowa control the ball, run the clock, and wear down Penn State.

The best defense is a good offense...

Will actually be about 80 at game time but if you think the weather is your ally, go with it. We Are...and always will be!

The point is it will be hot and humid. Have the starters for PSU played a whole game yet this year? I don't know, haven't watched their games but I doubt it based on the scores. On the other hand, Iowa had to go to OT on the road vs in state rival ISU and the starters played most of the other 2 games as well. If it is close in the 4th, Iowa is more battle tested and could be in better game shape ... we'll see about it.

I think your 42-10 prediction is way, way, way too over confident, that is all I'm getting at. Hopefully both teams come out of it injury free and can have a re-match in Indy!

The point is it will be hot and humid. Have the starters for PSU played a whole game yet this year? I don't know, haven't watched their games but I doubt it based on the scores. On the other hand, Iowa had to go to OT on the road vs in state rival ISU and the starters played most of the other 2 games as well. If it is close in the 4th, Iowa is more battle tested and could be in better game shape ... we'll see about it.

I think your 42-10 prediction is way, way, way too over confident, that is all I'm getting at. Hopefully both teams come out of it injury free and can have a re-match in Indy!
We heard the same stuff last year about a 42-10 type prediction...how did that turn out?

Sounds like you miss the good old days of psu losing games to iowa 6-4.

We heard the same stuff last year about a 42-10 type prediction...how did that turn out?

By all means keep predicting it if you want ... Michigan did last year as well ... last year you played Iowa in Happy Valley, this year you are in Iowa City ... there is a difference. This Iowa team is better than the 2012 (4-8) team PSU beat at Kinnick. Enjoy the game! Hope all your fans do enjoy Iowa City, it's a great little college town.

By all means keep predicting it if you want ... Michigan did last year as well ... last year you played Iowa in Happy Valley, this year you are in Iowa City ... there is a difference. This Iowa team is better than the 2012 (4-8) team PSU beat at Kinnick. Enjoy the game! Hope all your fans do enjoy Iowa City, it's a great little college town.
Home field advantage isn't a 30+ point difference. And the UM game last year has nothing to do with the PSU game this year...but keep hanging your hat on that one.

I am not sure if this is some kind of twilight zone joke or not.

PSU has Barkley. Our running game trumps any team's run defense.

LdN

Barkley is possibly be the best back in the country but he's only rushed for 307 yards in 3 games vs. opponents with weak defenses. Take away his one 80 yard run and he's only averaging 75 yards per game. So yes, I'm a little concerned about PSU's run game right now.

I think PSU beats Iowa because they have so many weapons. I don't see how Iowa can defend Gesicki, Hamilton, Barkley, Stevens, Blacknall, etc. in the passing game. I think we also have superior special teams. And who knows, PSU might spread Iowa's defense out and open ip a couple of big runs for Barkley. It's just that I think the pass will set up the run, not the other way around.

Barkley is possibly be the best back in the country but he's only rushed for 307 yards in 3 games vs. opponents with weak defenses. Take away his one 80 yard run and he's only averaging 75 yards per game. So yes, I'm a little concerned about PSU's run game right now.

I think PSU beats Iowa because they have so many weapons. I don't see how Iowa can defend Gesicki, Hamilton, Barkley, Stevens, Blacknall, etc. in the passing game. I think we also have superior special teams. And who knows, PSU might spread Iowa's defense out and open ip a couple of big runs for Barkley. It's just that I think the pass will set up the run, not the other way around.
More like two games...he didn't play half the game against Akron and Ga State.

Reactions: ralphster

Why in the hell would you take away his 80-yard run? That's what he does.

bottom line.....first hand off to 26 if iowa blows it up, long day. if 26 goes for 6 7 8 9 yds, all bets off. big day for 26
You're kidding right? I'd love to see the stats on something like this. The only problem is they don't keep them for such absurd purposes.

Reactions: Howie'81

Even if you do what you say, for some odd reason, Barkley is still averaging over 6 yards per carry. That's better than anyone on Iowa's team.

PSU defense is deep.....plenty of fresh bodies to rotate in.

Even if you do what you say, for some odd reason, Barkley is still averaging over 6 yards per carry. That's better than anyone on Iowa's team.

I understand his average yards per carry. I also understand that you have to count all of his carries and not exclude his breakaway runs. What I'm trying to say is that PSU hasn't had a "consistent" running attack so far this year. Against Georgia State Barkley had 10 carries for 47 yards which is a respectable 4.7 yards per carry. But 33 of those yards came on one carry in the second half. He couldn't get anything going on the ground in the first half. I'm concerned that if we can't run the ball consistently against Georgia State we might have a similar difficult time running the ball consistently at Iowa.

Fortunately PSU has a lot of other weapons. Once McSorley has some success in the air (Gesicki, Hamilton, Barkley, etc.) I fully expect Barkley to be able to break a big run. I just don't think PSU can beat Iowa by feeding Barkley 25 times. Their DL and LBs are too good for that.

Maybe it will be IOWA who's gassed in the fourth quarter after chasing 26 and his buddies for 3 quarters.

It might be ... we'll find out soon enough. The thing is, if PSU scores quickly, there D goes back out on the field again. If Iowa cannot at least put a few stops on the board or at least hold PSU to some FGs, it isn't going to matter. However, if Iowa can grind out some long drives and score TDs to keep it close and PSU relies on the quick strike, PSU better go 3 deep on the defense side of the ball or they will be gassed by the 4th and it will get interesting.

I think PSU is likely to win the game, they are certainly looking the part of a playoff contender now, but they aren't +32 at Kinnick at night. I see a very competitive game in the 4th unless there is a rash of TOs on one side or the other. Like I said in another post, this Iowa team should be a lot better than the 2012 4-8 team PSU beat soundly last time at night in Kinnick. If you crush us by 30 then I'll tip my cap but it ain't happen guys ...

I enjoy the banter and the football talk, good luck the rest of the year after this one.

I don't think we've shown half our offense yet. And even at that, we've scored at will. If they shut down our running game, it will be at the expense of opening holes in the passing game. We've hardly gone vertical all year.

I am confident we will score a lot of points.

If we don't turn the ball over, we win, even if we lose the time of possession battle.

It might be ... we'll find out soon enough. The thing is, if PSU scores quickly, there D goes back out on the field again. If Iowa cannot at least put a few stops on the board or at least hold PSU to some FGs, it isn't going to matter. However, if Iowa can grind out some long drives and score TDs to keep it close and PSU relies on the quick strike, PSU better go 3 deep on the defense side of the ball or they will be gassed by the 4th and it will get interesting.

I think PSU is likely to win the game, they are certainly looking the part of a playoff contender now, but they aren't +32 at Kinnick at night. I see a very competitive game in the 4th unless there is a rash of TOs on one side or the other. Like I said in another post, this Iowa team should be a lot better than the 2012 4-8 team PSU beat soundly last time at night in Kinnick. If you crush us by 30 then I'll tip my cap but it ain't happen guys ...

I enjoy the banter and the football talk, good luck the rest of the year after this one.

I also enjoy the back and forth football talk. Thanks for stopping by.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime

Hot, sort of. Humidity shows 60%, not humid by my standards. I don't expect the starters to have to play the whole game in this one either. We are just about two deep as starters at every position anyway IMHO.

If I had one team to pick that I do not dislike in the BIG, it would be Iowa j0nny. That said I think we are just too strong, too deep and too fast for all but several teams in the nation. I also believe we have one of the best coaching staffs in the nation to boot. Yes, I do agree with you good thoughts about getting out injury free on both sides.

I only wish other teams posters were as classy as you. Best of luck...in the rest of the season!

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
Sitting here looking at Iowa corn waiting to head to Kinnick. I think we are going to see Tommy Stevens throw a bomb for a TD from the two QB backfield. I can just feel it. PSU will bring the entire playbook out tonight. Would also like to see Polk or Thomkins on the jet sweep a few times tonight.

Reactions: denniskembala
What would Lou Holtz say about Miami needing to use trick plays in the Catholics vs. Criminals game?

What would Lou Holtz say about Miami needing to use trick plays in the Catholics vs. Criminals game?

Hard to tell what Lou Holtz would say. I expect it would be a lot of mumbling with spit flying everywhere and end with him predicting Notre Dame winning the national title? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: gregoryj95
No trick plays tonight by either team, but certainly a hard fought game on both sides.

Congratulations on the 21-19 walk off win.

Sitting here looking at Iowa corn waiting to head to Kinnick. I think we are going to see Tommy Stevens throw a bomb for a TD from the two QB backfield. I can just feel it. PSU will bring the entire playbook out tonight. Would also like to see Polk or Thomkins on the jet sweep a few times tonight.

Just got back from the game. I think I was a little wrong with my prediction for Tommy. :) Guess I will join our stock market predictor -- DOW 12,000!

Reactions: denniskembala

First rate analysis!!!!!

Take away 200 of Barkley's rushing yards last night and he'd only have 11 yards on the ground.

This rivals the genius of Jesse Palmer

ADVERTISEMENT