ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz should be licking his chops....

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?

Based upon the video evidence gathered from the Pitt and GA State games. PS was not able to dominate the lines of scrimmage. Pitt put out long drives. GA State held PS run game in check all night long.

IA will scheme and gameplan around this and will make a living on it - their Oline vs PS Dline. That is how Ferentz plans to win this game.

A lot of sizzle to this PS team but not much steak, and steak is what it is going to take to win against Hawks. Listen to the Callahan podcast to get his views on this game - it is not all rosy... Torrance Brown is out for this game, the top DE against the run. Manny Bowen has missed 10 tackles this season. Farmer quiet at LBer.

Am I negative? Maybe! But ask yourself this: does this PS team see to be very physical upfront? Does the point of attack seem to be a weakness? If yes, then do you really want to be playing IA?
I'd fire CJF right now!!

...and what were you feeling last year when we hosted Iowa at about the same point in the season?...
...more negative or more, more negative?... :)
Isn't last year ... last year?

He has some points. Decent amount of success with running up the middle in those first 3 games by less talented teams and lots of missed tackles.

Richard the LIONhearted?

Richard the FAINThearted!
giphy.gif

There are some concerns. Iowa is clearly going to try to control the game by ball possession and running the clock. They've apparently had success with this in early games. It will be up to the PSU defense to shut Iowa down and prevent this. If the D comes out flat or plays like it has at times so far this season- it could be a long night at Kinnick.

Let's face it though- neither Iowa or PSU have played a team as good as they will this week. PSU will need to up the defense game especially against the run and stop missing tackles.

Everyone focuses on the great offense but the D can't let Iowa control the ball, run the clock, and wear down Penn State.

There are some concerns. Iowa is clearly going to try to control the game by ball possession and running the clock. They've apparently had success with this in early games. It will be up to the PSU defense to shut Iowa down and prevent this. If the D comes out flat or plays like it has at times so far this season- it could be a long night at Kinnick.

Let's face it though- neither Iowa or PSU have played a team as good as they will this week. PSU will need to up the defense game especially against the run and stop missing tackles.

Everyone focuses on the great offense but the D can't let Iowa control the ball, run the clock, and wear down Penn State.

Pitt controlled the ball, ran the clock, and wore down Penn State AFTER PSU led by 2 scores in the first 7-8 minutes of play. They lost by 19, never got within 10. They are gonna do to us what Pitt did? Ok.

PSU running game vs. IA run defense - advantage Iowa. I'm hoping that Mahon's return will help. Also hoping that McSorley will keep the ball early and take the focus off of Barkley.

IA run game vs. PSU run defense - advantage Iowa. Cam Brown might help a bit but PSU's OLBs and DEs are a concern.

PSU passing game vs. IA pass defense - advantage PSU.

IA passing game vs. PSU pass defense - advantage PSU

Special teams - advantage PSU

PSU running game vs. IA run defense - advantage Iowa. I'm hoping that Mahon's return will help. Also hoping that McSorley will keep the ball early and take the focus off of Barkley.

IA run game vs. PSU run defense - advantage Iowa. Cam Brown might help a bit but PSU's OLBs and DEs are a concern.

I don't think we've shown half our offense yet. And even at that, we've scored at will. If they shut down our running game, it will be at the expense of opening holes in the passing game. We've hardly gone vertical all year.

I am confident we will score a lot of points.

I'd say Penn State was a Preseason TOP 12 team. But, others have them going to the National Championship game.

I don't think we've shown half our offense yet. And even at that, we've scored at will. If they shut down our running game, it will be at the expense of opening holes in the passing game. We've hardly gone vertical all year.

I am confident we will score a lot of points.
Will Blacknall help the vertical passing game?

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

Penn State also leads the country in tackles for loss and tied for 9th in sacks. They may be struggling a bit against some runs but, they must be dominating along the LOS in some ways to achieve those stats.

Torrence Brown is a game time decsion, not officially declared out, and by the way, Akrum Wadley is also a game time decision, not officially declared out or in yet.

Reactions: VaLion'92

Mr. LIONhearted, I will wager you that Penn State beats Iowa by at least 10 points.

Even if Penn State fails to control the lines (defense; have no concerns about OL this week with Mahon back), Iowa doesn't have the firepower on defense to stop Penn State....or even slow PSU down.

Wadley is going to have success against PSU's defense if he's 100% healthy. IMO, he's the best running back in the B1G not named Barkley. I just don't see Iowa being able to beat us; the only chance they have is if PSU beats itself.

What has Iowa's run game done that so impresses you?

Also, their run defense is giving up 3.99 yards per carry. PSU is giving up 2.95 yards per carry. Penn State faces more plays mostly because our offense scores so quickly.

I agree that our LBs need to shed blocks and tackle better.

We've jumped out to leads quickly in all 3 games. None of our three games were ever in doubt, regardless of what the Pitt fans say. You have to think that does something to the offensive play calling.

I wrote a lengthy post this week about where I thought this team is at this point in the season. Frankly, in some ways they have played down to the competition. I know we killed people but we looked average doing it.

This game is Penn States to lose. The determinate of the outcome is the PSU defense. If they can't get off the field on 3rd downs we lose. The one saving grace I think we might see if the defense plays poorly is the Iowa defense playing zone. I think they will attempt to keep everything in front of them. If they do that, it's lights out. Moreheads offense is better against zone and trying to keep barkley in front of them will means a few big runs.

Torrence Brown is a game time decsion, not officially declared out, and by the way, Akrum Wadley is also a game time decision, not officially declared out or in yet.

I had heard he was likely out for the year, though we'll never get the whole scoop from CJF (which like JoePa, the lack of disclosure with injuries always vexed me, I wish it was handled more like the NFL in this regard, but I digress...). I will take comfort in that there is a chance he'll play.

As for the game, because of our suspect OL and DL play considering the competition, no one should take Iowa lightly. You know what they say about forgetting history (bound to repeat it). And I'm not just talking about a ranked Michigan team @ Iowa under the lights last year ("recent" history). Anyone remember 2008? A #3 ranked PSU squad going up against unranked Iowa in Iowa? How did that work out again?

I would be pleasantly shocked if PSU can win covering the point spread.

Pitt controlled the ball, ran the clock, and wore down Penn State AFTER PSU led by 2 scores in the first 7-8 minutes of play. They lost by 19, never got within 10. They are gonna do to us what Pitt did? Ok.

I'd bet Iowa is better than Pitt.

I know it's heresy here to not state that Penn St will easily win every game by 21 points but there will come a time when the offense just isn't clicking or PSU finds itself in a close game late. Sooner or later PSU is going to be in a dogfight and need the D to get crucial stops.

The linebacker play has been pretty average so far. Stopping the run and poor tackling have been an issue at times. That's a concern as PSU heads into more talented teams on the schedule, often on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
The linebacker play has been pretty average so far. Stopping the run and poor tackling have been an issues at times. That's a concern as PSU heads into more talented teams on the schedule, often on the road.

Agree. Last year PSU's defense was pretty bad when Bell & Cabinda were injured. They were much better when those two returned, then gave up 17 fourth quarter points to USC after Bell got hurt.

The hope this year was that Bowen, Farmer, Brown, etc. would be much improved and that the added depth would offset the loss of Bell. It's early but we haven't seen that yet.

I'd bet Iowa is better than Pitt.

I know it's heresy here to not state that Penn St will easily win every game by 21 points but there will come a time when the offense just isn't clicking or PSU finds itself in a close game late. Sooner or later PSU is going to be in a dogfight and need the D to get crucial stops.

The linebacker play has been pretty average so far. Stopping the run and poor tackling have been an issues at times. That's a y concern as PSU heads into more talented teams on the schedule, often on the road.
No doubt that day will come. Just not this week.

I had heard he was likely out for the year, though we'll never get the whole scoop from CJF (which like JoePa, the lack of disclosure with injuries always vexed me, I wish it was handled more like the NFL in this regard, but I digress...). I will take comfort in that there is a chance he'll play.

As for the game, because of our suspect OL and DL play considering the competition, no one should take Iowa lightly. You know what they say about forgetting history (bound to repeat it). And I'm not just talking about a ranked Michigan team @ Iowa under the lights last year ("recent" history). Anyone remember 2008? A #3 ranked PSU squad going up against unranked Iowa in Iowa? How did that work out again?

I would be pleasantly shocked if PSU can win covering the point spread.

Why would the 2008 PSU loss be anymore relevant than the 2012 PSU rout of Iowa? The fact that we were ranked in '08 and not in '12? Most of the players on this team weren't even teenagers in 2008. IMHO that game has zero bearing on how the 2017 PSU team will play at Iowa.

Iowa may have some matchups they like, but do you really think Kirk Ferentz is licking his chops about a more talented/explosive team that blew him out a year ago is coming to town? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with some of the questions up the middle on both sides of the ball but I would think we are more of a nightmare for them than the other way.

Reactions: nittnee and Madsol
Iowa may have some matchups they like, but do you really think Kirk Ferentz is licking his chops about a more talented/explosive team that blew him out a year ago is coming to town? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with some of the questions up the middle on both sides of the ball but I would think we are more of a nightmare for them than the other way.

This seems like a much more sensible take than the hysterical, sky-is-falling OP. Bravo.

Reactions: WyomingLion

Don't see that we have much choice! Turn the plane around...pussy!

Go find another hobby.

Reactions: dsites52
Why would the 2008 PSU loss be anymore relevant than the 2012 PSU rout of Iowa? The fact that we were ranked in '08 and not in '12? Most of the players on this team weren't even teenagers in 2008. IMHO that game has zero bearing on how the 2017 PSU team will play at Iowa.

Because nobody gave us a chance in 2012 at Iowa, during a night game. Being a heavy Road favorite is much different. Michigan was a 7+ favorite last year at Iowa. So was Penn State in 2008. It's much easier to sneak up on somebody when you're not expected to win the game, as in 2012. Plus, in 2012, there wasn't much film on Bill O'Brien's offense yet. After blowing them out last year, I highly doubt we can bring anything to this game that Iowa doesn't already know about.

I'll take the PSU rush offense vs. the Iowa rush defense. We will break the occasional big play that will swing it in our favor. Iowa might look good in the boxscore based on time of possession and 3rd down conversions, but in terms of yards and points I like PSU.

Iowa will be dangerous, they may have a similar plan as Pitt. But Pitt's plan was blown up in the first quarter when they committed an early turnover, allowed a PSU TD drive, and settled for a red zone FG instead of a TD. Game, set, match. That plan doesn't work when you are behind by two scores for the whole game.

Iowa will have to methodically move the chains, dominate time of possession, get TDs whenever possible and limit turnovers and field position for PSU. It's certainly possible. But I still think PSU's defense, even if they don't control the Iowa rushing game, will get the occasional stops that they need to keep the score in PSU's favor.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT