ADVERTISEMENT

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -attributed to Mark Twain

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
There is another thread going on about the lack of explosive plays, backed and countered by staistics.

I think the only useful statistics are those that dig into what ANY teams do against competitive teams. So for us, throw out the Delaware game as playing against a team literally out of its league. Throw out the Northwestern game too. They might as well be out of their league this year. Illinois isn't much better. The pending UMASS game will be a travesty of a competition.

Through six games the only ones that might matter statsitically are WVU and IA. By the end of the year there will be three, possibly four more games that matter statistically: OSU, MI, UMD, and possibly Rutgers. Those are the games from which meaningful averages will be mined. Hopefully, we can add the conference championship game too.

This goes for every damn team in the country too. Who cares what statistics GA wracks up against Vanderbilt, Ball State, or friggin' UT-Martin? The only meaningful ones were against South Carolina, Auburn, and KY.

Friggin' statistics!

There is another thread going on about the lack of explosive plays, backed and countered by staistics.

I think the only useful statistics are those that dig into what ANY teams do against competitive teams. So for us, throw out the Delaware game as playing against a team literally out of its league. Throw out the Northwestern game too. They might as well be out of their league this year. Illinois isn't much better. The pending UMASS game will be a travesty of a competition.

Through six games the only ones that might matter statsitically are WVU and IA. By the end of the year there will be three, possibly four more games that matter statistically: OSU, MI, UMD, and possibly Rutgers. Those are the games from which meaningful averages will be mined. Hopefully, we can add the conference championship game too.

This goes for every damn team in the country too. Who cares what statistics GA wracks up against Vanderbilt, Ball State, or friggin' UT-Martin? The only meaningful ones were against South Carolina, Auburn, and KY.

Friggin' statistics!
Despite the stats, my main concern about the offense is that, while at home they have been methodical and productive, on the road they have been incompetent and very unproductive despite being the beneficiary of many turnovers that set them up in prime field position; their level of play has been totally different on the road than at home.

Friggin' statistics!
Okay for s**** and giggles... What were the scores of those games The two that will maybe or will be significant? Lol

Okay for s**** and giggles... What were the scores of those games The two that will maybe or will be significant? Lol
Not just the scores but the statistical results speak for themselves. Against two decent teams we had 55 first down, nearly 900 yards total offense, and rushed for 370 yards. The only negative staistic I could find for the offense was the average yard per run was disappointing. It is necessarily a small sample size because we eliminate the non-competitive teams. What we are left with is two good offensive performances.

The only caveat is that both were home games. The defense throttled both teams.

My main concern is that Penn State hasn’t had to execute under pressure yet. Back in the day, I felt as though Joe would force the team to execute plays against lesser competition when the other team knew the play that was coming. That philosophy resulted in some uncomfortably close games , but I think it served the team well in the long run.

Another game whose results shouldn't be included in meaningful statisitical discusions.

Another game whose results shouldn't be included in meaningful statisitical discusions.
We have the longest streak of 14+ point wins for a Big 10 team in the last 100 years. That’s a pretty huge statistic regardless. Any time you do something no team has done for 100 years, that’s impressive.

Reactions: royboy
Throw the statistic's and human interest stories out the window, I just want to see us kick the shit out of Ohio State. Nothing would please me more than for us to drop a 1994 on them and shut those obnoxious bastards up.

Throw the statistic's and human interest stories out the window, I just want to see us kick the shit out of Ohio State. Nothing would please me more than for us to drop a 1994 on them and shut those obnoxious bastards up.
From your lips to the football gods' ears! Now THAT game was a thing of beauty forever!

Iowa is making fun of us
F8bzYyabMAAVPCf

• Haha
Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT