ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Antonio Shelton overreacting on Twitter?

This whole thread just reinforces my belief that Twitter may be mankind's worst invention ever...well, possibly after nuclear weapons and "Family Guy."
It’s only a bad invention if your IQ level is less than your shoe size. For many people, it’s not a problem. For Antonio Smollett, it is a big problem.

Reactions: scrivener
Funny thing is Shelton began following some Oregon defensive coaches on twitter, iirc, after Spencer left. Which is generally seen as a precursor to possibly looking to transfer. You’d think a senior team leader wouldn’t be looking to bail on his teammates.

It’s a free country with freedom of expression. My hope would be that he put the focus on his studies and preparing for the 2020 season.
This would be his apartment lease. He posted about looking for someone to take it over on another social media outlet. Does it mean anything? Who knows.

Shelton is just a manifestation of our larger cultural influences coming from the classroom and media.

It looks like Shelton is a wannabe Colin Kaepernick. Good for him, I guess. But it sort of reminds me of all of these adolescent kids who are now transgender all of a sudden. They are responding to the messages being fed to them on a daily basis, for better or worse. Honestly, we can't really blame them for responding the way they are.

Shelton is just a manifestation of our larger cultural influences coming from the classroom and media.

It looks like Shelton is a wannabe Colin Kaepernick. Good for him, I guess. But it sort of reminds me of all of these adolescent kids who are now transgender all of a sudden. They are responding to the messages being fed to them on a daily basis, for better or worse. Honestly, we can't really blame them for responding the way they are.

The sad part is you probably believe the tripe you just posted.

Isn't Antonio Valentino Shelton Italian?

Didn't the Romans own slaves? That was not union labor building all the monuments and aqueduct in Italy.

So your theory is that he was just fine w/ the drunk student and the whip? He was just upset at barstool for posting the video? Yeah, no.

Well, that's pretty much what he said. He mentioned he didn't think the cowboy meant to be offensive. He just said he didn't think anyone realized how that would come across to african americans. And that barstool usually posts sports stuff and he didn't think this was sports related.

I honestly think a lot of the reaction to his tweet is much more overboard than his tweet. He went ahead and posted a video trying to explain his point of view. I didn't necessarily understand his point of view. But I'll accept it. I'm not african american. I don't think I could understand exactly how the video made him feel. Are you?

Again, I have my opinion, you have yours. I'm not saying I'm right, you're wrong. I just interpreted things differently than others and thought I'd share.

This would be his apartment lease. He posted about looking for someone to take it over on another social media outlet. Does it mean anything? Who knows.

So this is interesting. I assuming he means take his lease that he has signed for next year as leases run summer to summer up there. That was 1 week ago? With the DT depth we have and the headache he is, this could very well mean he was forced out due to scholarship numbers and will be transferring for his final year of eligibility. Would seem to indicate he doesn’t care about trashing his school as racist if he was dumped by the program and is spiteful over it

Agreed. If you shoulder check someone because they are in your way on the sidewalk, you are a simply jerk. If you shoulder check someone because they are in your way on the side walk, then call out and brag about that person's skin color being the reason they got shoulder checked, you are a racist jerk.
what about the action of elbowing a white person who he deemed was in his way while walking on campus?

Can someone please shed some light on this incident?

Thank you,

OL

Late to the game here but it was posted on page one of this thread. Shelton twitter posted in response to another twitter post where a young woman said she forced caucasians off the sidewalk by some sort by not yielding her position in the sidewalk. Mr. Shelton responded that he performed a similar action by "lowering his shoulder" into a passing caucasian. He specially noted the look of shock in the poor student's face when "shouldered". These twitter posts happened last fall from what I can tell. That is what is in discussion. I've not done the best at perfectly presenting the action but if you follow the entire thread it will be available to read specifically.

Late to the game here but it was posted on page one of this thread. Shelton twitter posted in response to another twitter post where a young woman said she forced caucasians off the sidewalk by some sort by not yielding her position in the sidewalk. Mr. Shelton responded that he performed a similar action by "lowering his shoulder" into a passing caucasian. He specially noted the look of shock in the poor student's face when "shouldered". These twitter posts happened last fall from what I can tell. That is what is in discussion. I've not done the best at perfectly presenting the action but if you follow the entire thread it will be available to read specifically.
Interesting....I was in downtown Atlanta biz district last month and walking on the sidewalk at 10AMish enroute to my business appt., a young black man was walking with his friend and shouted quite clearly at me "Walk around we aint moving" I was like really in my head-I said "Sure man wasn't expecting you to move" with a big smile--I didnt give a #!%$....Canali and all he would have been quite surprised...Sad actually all of this.....most people and I mean most people have limited perspectives and that is the issue. Most people are born in a BOX.

9-DCFC194-1-F1-F-4872-B6-E4-EB2772-BB4-C0-C.gif

So this is interesting. I assuming he means take his lease that he has signed for next year as leases run summer to summer up there. That was 1 week ago? With the DT depth we have and the headache he is, this could very well mean he was forced out due to scholarship numbers and will be transferring for his final year of eligibility. Would seem to indicate he doesn’t care about trashing his school as racist if he was dumped by the program and is spiteful over it
My leases were Fall-Spring semesters so again, who knows.

The ladies in my high school... they’d walk shoulder to shoulder about 4-5 folks wide (which took up 3/4 of the hallway(s) and would walk incredibly slow yielding to no one at times stopping in that order to say hey to a passerby that they knew. Still yielding to no one. Those headed the opposite way would bottle neck into a line along the wall to squeeze by in the gap. Those that were headed in the same direction fell in line behind and just accepted it as the status quo. Think of it as filing into your section at beaver stadium pregame.

But the whole “yielding to no one” is a actually a thing. I never witnessed anyone challenge it.

The ladies in my high school... they’d walk shoulder to shoulder about 4-5 folks wide (which took up 3/4 of the hallway(s) and would walk incredibly slow yielding to no one at times stopping in that order to say hey to a passerby that they knew. Still yielding to no one. Those headed the opposite way would bottle neck into a line along the wall to squeeze by in the gap. Those that were headed in the same direction fell in line behind and just accepted it as the status quo. Think of it as filing into your section at beaver stadium pregame.

But the whole “yielding to no one” is a actually a thing. I never witnessed anyone challenge it.

Wait til they want a job. I wont yield.

Reactions: BEEFZ
I'll add my two cents.

1. He's a college kid. College kids are very often super idealistic -- out to save the world.

2. We have no idea what sort of racism he's been subjected to in his lifetime. So we shouldn't judge the validity of the triggers that set him off.

Combine the above, and I don't really have any issue with him questioning the use of a whip in the video. It's his right to be offended. It's your right to disagree with this opinion. But you shouldn't be judging him over it.

Combine the above? How about we stick to the subject of the thread. There is nothing “racist” about some kid acting like a jockey riding the lion. What may or may not have happened in Sheltons life is irrelevant. Quit making excuses for him and stick to reality.

Wait til they want a job. I wont yield.
I’m not going there.. I was simply adding context to the whole knocking people off the sidewalk. I’ll also add that I’ve never seen any of these ladies knock people out of the way. People just stayed out of the way. We were able to walk outside the buildings
In between classes so the situation was avoidable.

Why is it a thing? Like where did it come from, what purpose does it serve?

I see this in DC sometimes with teenagers. If walking in the opposite direction and unable to pass (because there are 3 people walking shoulder to shoulder), I will just stop in my tracks and make the go around me, but I am flabbergasted that any group thinks they can take up the entire sidewalk.

I’m not going there.. I was simply adding context to the whole knocking people off the sidewalk. I’ll also add that I’ve never seen any of these ladies knock people out of the way. People just stayed out of the way. We were able to walk outside the buildings
In between classes so the situation was avoidable.
Some people are just dicks. I see this a lot in various forms in the public. People having to walk shoulder to shoulder not concerned about others coming in the other direction.
Multiple reasons is my guess .

We live in a world of entitlement...And guess what folks!!!!!! It is people aged 40-60 that are to blame. We somehow allowed this generation to feel like they were the only thing that mattered, we were the ones that gave them participation trophies, we are the ones that handed them a phone at an eatery so the "grown folks" could talk, we recorded every single stupid and silly thing the kids did and posted it, we act like they are the center of the universe with all the social media attention. We did this, nobody else.
So.....Please tell me WHY is shocked anyone that Shelton would start a hissy huff on social media.

We live in a world of entitlement...And guess what folks!!!!!! It is people aged 40-60 that are to blame. We somehow allowed this generation to feel like they were the only thing that mattered, we were the ones that gave them participation trophies, we are the ones that handed them a phone at an eatery so the "grown folks" could talk, we recorded every single stupid and silly thing the kids did and posted it, we act like they are the center of the universe with all the social media attention. We did this, nobody else.
So.....Please tell me WHY is shocked anyone that Shelton would start a hissy huff on social media.
Not me personally, lol. My kids wouldn't do this. they learned at an early age personal responsibility and accountability.

Why is it a thing? Like where did it come from, what purpose does it serve?

I see this in DC sometimes with teenagers. If walking in the opposite direction and unable to pass (because there are 3 people walking shoulder to shoulder), I will just stop in my tracks and make the go around me, but I am flabbergasted that any group thinks they can take up the entire sidewalk.
You'll see it in stores, particularly Walmart, where people are so self-absorbed that they can block an entire isle. You also see it on the highway with people driving in the left lane but making everyone pass them on the right or the people who are too important to wait to merge and must blow by everyone in the lane they know is ending in a couple of hundred feet.

It is all the same in my opinion. All of these things are clear actions that show that these people don't give a crap about any of us other people. Not yielding on a sidewalk is similar. I don't think your use of this space matters.

My kids are 5 and 3.

You'll see it in stores, particularly Walmart, where people are so self-absorbed that they can block an entire isle. You also see it on the highway with people driving in the left lane but making everyone pass them on the right or the people who are too important to wait to merge and must blow by everyone in the lane they know is ending in a couple of hundred feet.

It is all the same in my opinion. All of these things are clear actions that show that these people don't give a crap about any of us other people. Not yielding on a sidewalk is similar. I don't think your use of this space matters.
All true.

I get being self absorbed to the point of being inconsiderate (I'm not saying it is OK), but I think what earlier posters described (and what I've observed) is some kind of act of defiance (?), i.e. we see you, we know we are in the way and we are purposefully in the way because (fill in the blank).

Reactions: MtNittany
I get being self absorbed to the point of being inconsiderate (I'm not saying it is OK), but I think what earlier posters described (and what I've observed) is some kind of act of defiance (?), i.e. we see you, we know we are in the way and we are purposefully in the way because (fill in the blank).
All of those scenarios I presented I think have an element of that. There is a % of people so self-absorbed that they don't realize that they are causing everyone else problems. But I think there is a very high % that absolutely know and don't care. It's about them. They are more important than you. Someone unwilling to yield on a sidewalk is essentially saying the same thing. I am more important than you. Why they feel that way doesn't need to be known. They are just more important and others are not.

I don't know. I'll take the kid who tweeted something stupid every time over the criminals at some of these other football factories. I'll still hope that someone can mentor Shelton to represent himself better in the future and I am also not sure how great of an influence he is on the team but dismissal is pretty harsh for a tweet.

Great discussion in this thread. Differing viewpoints but most of them expressed intelligently and respectfully.

I don't favor Shelton's dismissal (yet) though it wouldn't break my heart if he decided the grass was greener in, say, Oregon.

Still, this is not about the latest tweet but rather a pattern of behavior going back to last season. Any single incident is not a show-stopper. Put them all together -- it's a problem.

It seems like the time for an intervention has come...for the good of the team and the kid. And JF has exactly the combination of street cred, leverage, and communications skills to pull it off:

Antonio, we're aiming high next season, and we need your help to get there. That means no more locker-room distractions, dumb-ass tweets, racially divisive lectures, on-field misbehavior, and so forth. You have a bright future in front of you, young man. Don't (mess) it up.

Something along those lines, delivered in the appropriate tone with some colorful language -- and maybe a piece of broken furniture or two to emphasize the point.

After that, one more incident, and it's a lost cause. Those are not easy conversations to have, but when you're in a position of authority, which means coach...boss...parent...whatever...it's your job to have them.

The sad part is you probably believe the tripe you just posted.

The sadder part is that someone would even attempt to dispute it. It’s so patently obvious in our society that one would have to be blind not to see it. Stand up, tell elites exactly what they want to hear, be applauded and showered with attention and told that you are “courageous” and “woke.” It’s our culture now. Maybe pull your head out of the sand and look around from time to time.

It is. I routinely see young kids walk across the street in Baltimore incredibly slowly and scream and shout at cars who have the temerity to honk. It’s usually young, black kids, but like every other behavior young, whites have begun to imitate it. It’s a product of spending years telling kids that they are “special” for just existing and that being a victim is the highest form of virtue.

Same thing happened to my wife in Wilmington, DE in the mid 1990's only it was a man of about 50 years old. He was not visibly disabled and glared her her the whole five minutes it took him to cross her path. A segment does it because they can. Rudeness is a proliferating character flaw and the spike in it seems to stem back to the late 80's or early 90's imo.

We were vacationing with our children in Acadia, ME in 1995 when we had to shield the children from a pack of middle aged men who took up the entire walkway. Rude, entitled, oblivious or ignorant or all of the whole nine yards. It was uncalled for, obvious and imo intentional.

The lowered shoulder was intentional by Shelton, by his own admission in the tweet. It's a state of mind, constantly being offended, looking for offenses and finding them everywhere. Sadly I don't see it diminishing when the flames are fanned daily in the press and by those who profit from it. The players at the street level are that, pawns in the game.

Great discussion in this thread. Differing viewpoints but most of them expressed intelligently and respectfully.

I don't favor Shelton's dismissal (yet) though it wouldn't break my heart if he decided the grass was greener in, say, Oregon.

Still, this is not about the latest tweet but rather a pattern of behavior going back to last season. Any single incident is not a show-stopper. Put them all together -- it's a problem.

It seems like the time for an intervention has come...for the good of the team and the kid. And JF has exactly the combination of street cred, leverage, and communications skills to pull it off:

Antonio, we're aiming high next season, and we need your help to get there. That means no more locker-room distractions, dumb-ass tweets, racially divisive lectures, on-field misbehavior, and so forth. You have a bright future in front of you, young man. Don't (mess) it up.

Something along those lines, delivered in the appropriate tone with some colorful language -- and maybe a piece of broken furniture or two to emphasize the point.

After that, one more incident, and it's a lost cause. Those are not easy conversations to have, but when you're in a position of authority, which means coach...boss...parent...whatever...it's your job to have them.
I doubt it would work...my guess is he’s too self obsessed.

Agree, but not dismissal worthy. He needs to be told he can't go through life with this chip on his shoulder. He earned through hard work a fabulous opportunity to receive a quality education and play @ a high level that others have not earned. DO NOT blow it young man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT