ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Antonio Shelton overreacting on Twitter?

Look, we are not ignorant of the injustices visited upon slaves in America. This is a lion statue, not a human being. Whips are used on other animals. You cannot go through life being constantly offended by these type of instances. It is an overreaction, plain and simple. I've read some of Frederick Douglas' writings. He didn't seem to me to be a man who lived his life looking to be offended.

So no whips, belts, or anything else should be used during this month?

Sorry love Antonio, but he is really overreacting on this.

Yeah. Sadly whips have been used on all sorts of people throughout history. It's not as though they were invented in the USA. Honoring black history in our country is important but that doesn't mean anything can be twisted into something offensive. I guess we can't watch westerns in February because a stagecoach driver might use a whip. Like Cool Whip on jello?? Not in February.

And no Devo videos can be played in February either....

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Yeah. Sadly whips have been used on all sorts of people throughout history. It's not as though they were invented in the USA. Honoring black history in our country is important but that doesn't mean anything can be twisted into something offensive. I guess we can't watch westerns in February because a stagecoach driver might use a whip. Like Cool Whip on jello?? Not in February.

And no Devo videos can be played in February either....

I was waiting for this one, lol!

Damn, had a spoonful of Cool Whip on my desert last night. I’m sure I offended somebody somewhere in the world!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Anyone can see anything into everything...if the want to see it.
This is true and often the lens through which we see the world says a lot about you as a person. My guess is that Antonio is a passionate young man who is easily moved to issues with emotion (as were many of us at that age). Hopefully with seasoning, he uses that passion with greater wisdom that we tend to gain with experience.

I don't see this being something to jump up and down about and I would guess his coaches may even have a growth spurring discussion with him about how and when to use his platform best.

While I respect his views and defend his right to voice them. I do struggle with the fact he is a member of a fraternity that brands its members. One of my neighbors and very good friend is a member of the same fraternity. I have the same struggle discussing it with him.

Last edited:
Or is he rightfully upset?

He isn't saying anything that I can hear.....I could see if Shelton was in the circus or something, but you can make that assumption here it was strictly race. Lion tamers use what again....whips and he is on a lion. That was my first thought, he jumped right to race. Maybe there is a caption or something I missed....other wise Shelton is honestly being a bit of a snowflake or being a bit quick to play that card.

The actual action (lion cowboy) that is happening is harmless. This is clearly a wasted kid going hyo silver, like as if he was riding a bull or something, I just don't see any racist intent. The issue I do have is people not understanding why a young black kid would be shell shocked and hyper sensitive about absolutely anything that reminds him that his ancestors were enslaved. Maybe to you and me (people who's family wasn't enslaved and treated sub-human) it's "not a big deal" but I can understand why Antonio might feel different. His whole life has had "look at what these white people did to your people" thrown in his face in the form of slavery documentation, classes, movies and years of truly deep rooted racism that exists in this world. I actually feel shoving years of slavery down a young black kids throat is terribly counter productive. Then again I can understand the defiant "never forget" attitude, it really is a catch-22.

The actual action (lion cowboy) that is happening is harmless. This is clearly a wasted kid going hyo silver, like as if he was riding a bull or something, I just don't see any racist intent. The issue I do have is people not understanding why a young black kid would be shell shocked and hyper sensitive about absolutely anything that reminds him that his ancestors were enslaved. Maybe to you and me (people who's family wasn't enslaved and treated sub-human) it's "not a big deal" but I can understand why Antonio might feel different. His whole life has had "look at what these white people did to your people" thrown in his face in the form of slavery documentation, classes, movies and years of truly deep rooted racism that exists in this world. I actually feel shoving years of slavery down a young black kids throat is terribly counter productive. Then again I can understand the defiant "never forget" attitude, it really is a catch-22.
The thing is you cannot just play that card when ever you feel like it. At least make sure it is justified as now some young men are making things up....J Smollet comes to mind. Bad and racist people are out there so there is no need to invent one.

Reactions: BEEFZ
The first result on google image search:

s-l400.jpg

The thing is you cannot just play that card when ever you feel like it. At least make sure it is justified as now some young men are making things up....J Smollet comes to mind. Bad and racist people are out there so there is no need to invent one.

Yikes, Smollet did what he did for fame, career advancement and attention. A true POS.

At some point in the illustrious history of man every one of us has ancestors that were whipped, and as others have pointed out, much worse. This is not even remotely racial, so please save it for instances where such reaction is deserved and needed. Such events are out there more than they should be, so don't try to place everything into that box.

Reactions: cment and furfoot
ADVERTISEMENT