ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Wick

While it was short lived, it was still the funnest 3 hours I've had since PSU stuck it to Iowa that fateful Saturday night back in March.
Indeed. My Cancer Dr. told me all my tests came back negative. Three hours later he called and said he was kidding....it is stage 4. What a hoot. While short-lived....That was the funnest 3 hours I have had since he told my girlfriend she wasn't pregnant......when she was......with triplets. :)

Indeed. My Cancer Dr. told me all my tests came back negative. Three hours later he called and said he was kidding....it is stage 4. What a hoot. While short-lived....That was the funnest 3 hours I have had since he told my girlfriend she wasn't pregnant......when she was......with triplets. :)
giphy.gif

So let's say we get Wick. With no more transfers (assume Steen at 125 and Barraclough at 157), how are you guys feeling about the team race next year?

Reactions: PASLP2
So let's say we get Wick. With no more transfers (assume Steen at 125 and Barraclough at 157), how are you guys feeling about the team race next year?
Going to have holes at 157 and possibly with Steen just being a freshman. We'll need big bonus from all of our other wrestlers to hang with the hawkeyes

Lol. To get likes? bud, this isn't 6th grade. It was a rumor I heard. I owned it that I missed. Only verified moves allowed to be posted? I thought the point is to talk about what we are hearing.
First: I think you replied to the wrong guy. I believe I am your Huckleberry :)
Second: Nobody makes more fun of me... than me :)
Third: I do encourage you to try though :)

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Going to have holes at 157 and possibly with Steen just being a freshman. We'll need big bonus from all of our other wrestlers to hang with the hawkeyes
Agree if you give them Marinelli's points back.

I definitely think we can win with those 8 if Bartlett becomes a full sized 149 especially since I think Starocci, Kerkvliet both have a ton of room to improve (Kerkvliet with mat wrestling and Starocci becoming more of a bonus hunter). I also think Wick can be even better than what he was at Wisconsin with our room + Casey's coaching.

Lol. To get likes? bud, this isn't 6th grade. It was a rumor I heard. I owned it that I missed. Only verified moves allowed to be posted? I thought the point is to talk about what we are hearing.
For the record, I really did appreciate you sharing. It's pretty obvious you did know something was going on behind the scenes and just didn't have the most updated news at the moment. There was some smoke Cael was going to try to talk him into unretiring (I said it more as a joke at first but it really makes a ton of sense when you think about it) You nipped it at the bud a few hours in when you got the most updated information and apologized. My joke about Suriano is in reference to you saying the board talks about Griffith a lot (and we do) so I threw on another transfer rumor just as a light hearted joke. It makes sense also that Griffith is out for us at now since it looks like we're making really good traction with Evan Wick at this point.

I hope you consider becoming a more regular poster going forward.

Last edited:
Agree if you give them Marinelli's points back.

I definitely think we can win with those 8 if Bartlett becomes a full sized 149 especially since I think Starocci, Kerkvliet both have a ton of room to improve (Kerkvliet with mat wrestling and Starocci becoming more of a bonus hunter). I also think Wick can be even better than what he was at Wisconsin with our room + Casey's coaching.
This. The Hawks have at least 1 “hole” for tournament purposes (184) and I wouldn’t trust Murin, so Wick helps tremendously.

Last edited:
This. The Hawks gave at least 1 “hole” for tournament purposes (184) and I wouldn’t trust Murin, so Wick helps tremendously.
I've said it before. Iowa didn't underachieve as much as they think they did last tournament. Bull MFF'ing was the only anomaly. If they want to pencil him back in as a finalist, go for it. Everyone else was around where the seeds said they would be and they scored 27 bonus. Murin/Brands were 12 seeds, missing the podium isn't an underachievement.

You can argue PSU "overachieved" but at some point, do you just want to say "That's what we do"

I've said it before. Iowa didn't underachieve as much as they think they did last tournament. Bull MFF'ing was the only anomaly. If they want to pencil him back in as a finalist, go for it. Everyone else was around where the seeds said they would be and they scored 27 bonus. Murin/Brands were 12 seeds, missing the podium isn't an underachievement.

You can argue PSU "overachieved" but at some point, do you just want to say "That's what we do"
3 for 3. The Bull not getting past the QFs seems more like the norm, versus an anomaly.

Maybe because that's a terrible take. His 3 championship bracket losses were to Martinez (finalist), Lewis (champ), and Griffith (champ).

We have a lot of laughs at his expense, but that's not a choke artist.
True

I've said before that I'm starting to think Marinelli's issues aren't mental, they're physical. Cut seems like it's pretty large for him IMO. His style seemingly changes Day 2. His normal aggression definitely dwindled a bit against Mekhi and Griffith even if they were eventual champs. Think about how badly he beat Cenzo at Big Tens in 2019. Similarly, he thrives at Big Tens because he has 1 match to wrestle Day 2 and has a few hours after weigh ins. If he has a large cut, a 3 day weigh in is always going to be tough.

I've said before that I'm starting to think Marinelli's issues aren't mental, it's physical. Cut seems like it's pretty large for him IMO. His style seemingly changes Day 2. His normal aggression definitely dwindled a bit against Mekhi and Griffith even if they were eventual champs. Think about how badly he beat Cenzo at Big Tens in 2019. Similarly, he thrives at Big Tens because he has 1 match to wrestle Day 2 and has a few hours after weigh ins. If he has a large cut, a 3 day weigh in is always going to be tough.
The pressure to win this year will be huge.

The pressure to win this year will be huge.
I think that's all we can ask for. A team that can put pressure on Iowa, particularly Thursday night. They had such a large gap this year they could hit cruise control (it was pretty apparent they would win after Session 3) without thinking about the team race.

Similarly, Ohio State started wrestling tight by Day 2 in 2018. Truthfully, I love the narrative that they have a huge gap on us and that we wrestled a perfect tournament and they wrestled a bad one.

Reactions: dunkej01
If Wick comes to Psu, I like Psu over Iowa in 8/10 weights. Team championship returns to state college 👍🏼

Reactions: Dogwelder
But how did he do in the wrestlebacks? 3rd 3rd 3rd?
Probably rhetorical but I'll answer it anyway:

FR: 6th. Lost to Martinez, Wick, and McFadden for 5th. Was the 5 seed (McFadden was the 2).

SO: 7th. Lost to Lewis and Marsteller.

JR: DNP. Lost to Griffith in SV, injury defaulted out.

I think PSU is the favorite if they get Wick. I posted this on themat a few weeks ago (full disclosure I am not really a fan of any team)

Iowa won by 15.5 in 2021

Howard scored 1.5. Let's call it 0 for Steen. 17 pt difference

Berge scored 3. Let's call it 0 for Barraclaugh. 20 pt difference

Beard scored 9.5. Dean scored 17 in 2019. Call it 16 for 2022? 13.5 pt difference

Joe Lee scored 0. Wick scored 15.5 in 2019. Call it 15 for 2022? 1.5 pt difference for PSU

Bartlett will score in 2022. Maybe AA's. 5.5? 7 pt difference for PSU

Marinelli scored 4 in 2021. 7.5 in 2019, 13 in 2018. Call it 15 for 2022? 4 pt difference for Iowa. Obviously he's the wild card.

Kerk scored 11 in 2021. He improves in 2022. Call it 15 for 2022? tied.

I'll assume the rest stay equal for simplicity. Some may higher, some may be lower but I don't envision the rest being too much different.

So considering that includes 2 PSU guys scoring 0 and PSU's history of overperforming, yes I think Wick would make PSU the favorite.

Probably rhetorical but I'll answer it anyway:

FR: 6th. Lost to Martinez, Wick, and McFadden for 5th. Was the 5 seed (McFadden was the 2).

SO: 7th. Lost to Lewis and Marsteller.

JR: DNP. Lost to Griffith in SV, injury defaulted out.
So if you say he placed top 12 this season, his average finish in 3 NCAAs is 8.33

If you go with the theory of him staying healthy and actually trying, and give him 3rd for 2021… his average finish in 3 NCAAs would be 4.67

Considering he entered the tournaments seeded 5, 1, 1 that’s not very good.

I wonder how many guys in NCAA history have been a #1 seed multiple times and failed to place top 5 even once? It’s even worse when you add in another top 5 seed. Calling his NCAA resume a Choke artist isn’t that far off.

So if you say he placed top 12 this season, his average finish in 3 NCAAs is 8.33

If you go with the theory of him staying healthy and actually trying, and give him 3rd for 2021… his average finish in 3 NCAAs would be 4.67

Considering he entered the tournaments seeded 5, 1, 1 that’s not very good.

I wonder how many guys in NCAA history have been a #1 seed multiple times and failed to place top 5 even once? It’s even worse when you add in another top 5 seed. Calling his NCAA resume a Choke artist isn’t that far off.
5 seed vs. 6 finish isn't exactly bad.

1 seed vs. 7 finish isn't good on paper ... but then again, Lewis and Marsteller. If he draws them in different rounds, he finishes 4th and we're having a different discussion. Or are we arguing that Marsteller isn't that good?

1 seed vs. DNP due to injury, whatever.

Marinelli is what he is: a guy who wrestles a lot of close, low-scoring matches against better opponents. Guys like that have little margin for error, and that usually catches up to them at nationals.

Reactions: nitlion6 and Gebmo
If if if. It’s always ”if” with him. What if Taylor never faces Jenkins and Dake? What if Hall never faces Zahid? What if Bo doesn’t try to throw Martin? Ultimately, resumes are judged by results, not ifs.

I think PSU is the favorite if they get Wick. I posted this on themat a few weeks ago (full disclosure I am not really a fan of any team)

Iowa won by 15.5 in 2021

Howard scored 1.5. Let's call it 0 for Steen. 17 pt difference

Berge scored 3. Let's call it 0 for Barraclaugh. 20 pt difference

Beard scored 9.5. Dean scored 17 in 2019. Call it 16 for 2022? 13.5 pt difference

Joe Lee scored 0. Wick scored 15.5 in 2019. Call it 15 for 2022? 1.5 pt difference for PSU

Bartlett will score in 2022. Maybe AA's. 5.5? 7 pt difference for PSU

Marinelli scored 4 in 2021. 7.5 in 2019, 13 in 2018. Call it 15 for 2022? 4 pt difference for Iowa. Obviously he's the wild card.

Kerk scored 11 in 2021. He improves in 2022. Call it 15 for 2022? tied.

I'll assume the rest stay equal for simplicity. Some may higher, some may be lower but I don't envision the rest being too much different.

So considering that includes 2 PSU guys scoring 0 and PSU's history of overperforming, yes I think Wick would make PSU the favorite.

I like the way you type

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT