ADVERTISEMENT

espn: Michigan State freshman guard subject of criminal sexual conduct investigation

Playing devil’s advocate...how is Izzo’s treatment of this player different than Joe’s handling of the Rashard Casey situation? When formal charges are handed down, then that’s when coach’s discipline should kick in, right? I agree that something like this certainly looks bad given the toxic environment there but let’s not forget about the right of due process, something the media is all too quick to kick aside.

Playing devil’s advocate...how is Izzo’s treatment of this player different than Joe’s handling of the Rashard Casey situation? When formal charges are handed down, then that’s when coach’s discipline should kick in, right? I agree that something like this certainly looks bad given the toxic environment there but let’s not forget about the right of due process, something the media is all too quick to kick aside.

We are all about outrage these days... factually always have been.

It's only because that outrage was pointed to us at one time that we were anti outrage.

LdN

Reactions: step.eng69
These things are so hard to know....what is "forcibly groping?"

Two weeks ago, new NFL Rookie of the year Kareem Hunt had an entourage partying in CLE with friends. Several gals joined them, one was a 19 year old student. The group ended up in his apartment where several people wanted her to leave because she was getting loud and obnoxious. They called her a car and left her in the hall way waiting. She kept hammering on the door for 20 minutes yelling and screaming. Neighbors were complaining. Cops get called. Of course, she immediately claims she was "shoved and pushed", basically assaulted. Almost every one of the party group, men and women, said that the gal got progressively louder and more violent that she had to be physically moved into the hallway and away from the party lest something really bad happen.

I honestly have no idea what to tell young men these days.

Is this kid from MSU guilty or innocent? I have no idea. But we've had our kids at PSU wrongly (and rightly) accused over the last several decades.

Due process? Who does ‘due process’ anymore? From universities, the NCAA, the media (from cnn to ESPN), and the general public- It’s all about outrage and condemnation now.

Don’t let details and quaint little notions of things like due process get in the way of ratings and outrage!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Due process? Who does ‘due process’ anymore? From universities, the NCAA, the media (from cnn to ESPN), and the general public- It’s all about outrage and condemnation now.

Don’t let details and quaint little notions of things like due process get in the way of ratings and outrage!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I am very impressed with you. Wow. If I ever were to have a son, I'd want him to be just like you. Warms the heart.

:eek:

Reactions: psu00
Wouldn't izzo, as the most powerful person in east lansing, have the police in his back pocket?
Everyone knows Tom Izzo runs that town. If he needs the police to do him a favor he simply picks up the green IzzoPhone. Done

What might prove troublesome to MSU is that stat -- something about 37 out of 37 athletes accused of abuse were released with no charges filed. That might indicicate something systemically amiss about the culture in Creep Lansing. Imagine if the AD actually managed some kind of arrangement with law enforcement. Dust off the napalm...

Last edited:
Everyone knows Tom Izzo runs that town. If he needs the police to do him a favor he simply picks up the green IzzoPhone. Done

What might prove troublesome to MSU is that stat -- something about 37 out of 37 athletes accused of abuse were released with no charges filed. That might indicicate something systemically amiss about the culture in Creep Lansing. Imagine if the AD actually arranged some kind of arrangement with law enforcement. Dust off the napalm...

Burn it down.

According to Travis walton's last victim , izzo has so much power he influences the police. If the police ignored nassar, do you think they will handle big money sports properly?

I honestly have no idea what to tell young men these days.
Took my son to Grand Valley State yesterday. Heavy nursing and education university with a 2:1 ratio of women to men. I thought about this...how do I "counsel" him on his behavior? I have jokingly told friends I will have him carry a consent form with him for the times he will want to ask a girl out at a bar, or any progression of an evening following.
I'm with you, Obli, not sure what to say.

OL

MSU's problem now..is that EVERYTHING will be under a microscope especially with ESPN looking into and "defending" their own position...every case...everything MSU athletes do from now on...everyone will know about.ESPN will make sure of that.

I do think MSU made a mistake publicly challenging ESPN...this is going to get worse...

MSU can defend themselves all they want but this is NOT going away.

Reactions: BBrown
Took my son to Grand Valley State yesterday. Heavy nursing and education university with a 2:1 ratio of women to men. I thought about this...how do I "counsel" him on his behavior? I have jokingly told friends I will have him carry a consent form with him for the times he will want to ask a girl out at a bar, or any progression of an evening following.
I'm with you, Obli, not sure what to say.

OL

Awesome. They should call it Grand Peaks and Valley State.

:eek:

Playing devil’s advocate...how is Izzo’s treatment of this player different than Joe’s handling of the Rashard Casey situation?
However, since I worked a few summer camps, I became a "professional acquaintance" of the PS coaches. I still remember Fran Ganter's response to my - what's going to happen with Rashard Casey? question.
He said they had information that proves the story out there is false and that Rashard is innocent of what he had been charged with. They were very very confident he was going to have all charges dropped.
Having that in your back pocket may explain how Joe Paterno and PS handled Casey's situation.

OL

Reactions: Agoodnap and BBrown
However, since I worked a few summer camps, I became a "professional acquaintance" of the PS coaches. I still remember Fran Ganter's response to my - what's going to happen with Rashard Casey? question.
He said they had information that proves the story out there is false and that Rashard is innocent of what he had been charged with. They were very very confident he was going to have all charges dropped.
Having that in your back pocket may explain how Joe Paterno and PS handled Casey's situation.

A former State College lawyer told me at the time that the Casey incident was caught by a security camera at a post office across the street. PSU coaches were told immediately that Casey didn't do anything wrong.

According to Travis walton's last victim , izzo has so much power he influences the police. If the police ignored nassar, do you think they will handle big money sports properly?

Then that’s something that the Michigan AG or the feds would have to investigate. You’d need someone with little location bias to flesh that out. Do you think other major coaches also hold some influence over their campus/town PDs? I think you might be naive to say no. Certainly not advocating it but in a number of places, I’m sure it’s the reality.

OL

Info that was conveniently NOT shared with the media jackals, which added to the scrutiny at the time. As a result, Rashard was correctly vindicated. I prefer cases be tried in a courtroom and not in the media.

Reactions: OhioLion
Info that was conveniently NOT shared with the media jackals, which added to the scrutiny at the time. As a result, Rashard was correctly vindicated. I prefer cases be tried in a courtroom and not in the media.

Because the information came from sources that should not have disclosed it.

This would be like PSU hiring Stacy Parks Miller after dropping charges against PSU athletes.

It is slippery slope we are going down. I see that Minny suspended their kid too but as far as I know I didn't think there were any official charges filed.

A former State College lawyer told me at the time that the Casey incident was caught by a security camera at a post office across the street. PSU coaches were told immediately that Casey didn't do anything wrong.

As I recall thats what I remember as well. Those rumors were on the board at the time.

The Casey situation happened in the Spring. The Grand Jury ended things in August. Things may have been handled differently if the timing had been different, but we'll never know.

What might prove troublesome to MSU is that stat -- something about 37 out of 37 athletes accused of abuse were released with no charges filed. That might indicicate something systemically amiss about the culture in Creep Lansing. Imagine if the AD actually managed some kind of arrangement with law enforcement. Dust off the napalm...

Is that phone connected to Joe's kitchen too? I mean that seems to be where;) all calls are diverted.

Reactions: marshall23
So this kid has been accused and his name is published and we are to assume he is guilty and should have been punished. Did I go to sleep awhile back and wake up in a new country with a different constitution and set of laws?
ESPN and its ilk are slimy serpents that slither around on the ground and serve no redeeming purpose. If the young man is charged, then IMO, the university has a decision to make.
The incessant accusations about everyone, everywhere is like a recurring fairy tale.....The Little Boy who cried Wolf.

If I have the correct information, the "accused" is a young man who is a "walk on" member of the squad, who has not played in a game this year.
What is Izzo's motivation in "protecting" this young man?
I smell a woman scorned. The interim university president fights back against ESPN allegations and the author responds with this "bombshell?"

Reactions: stormingnorm
MSU's problem now..is that EVERYTHING will be under a microscope especially with ESPN looking into and "defending" their own position...every case...everything MSU athletes do from now on...everyone will know about.ESPN will make sure of that.

I do think MSU made a mistake publicly challenging ESPN...this is going to get worse...

MSU can defend themselves all they want but this is NOT going away.
THis is why it was dumb for MSU to go on the offensive against ESPN...ESPN won't stop until they get their man, like they did with Joe.

Spoke with a hoboken old timer randomly one time..(he saw I had some penn state gear). casey came up, he told me it was a garbage charge.

If anyone at MSU has even 1/2 a testicle, and it appears they do, they will tell ESPN to:

Go F Themselves (maybe in slightly more PC terms).

And that is absolutely what they should do.
Anyone who thinks the proper"strategery" - when faced with such media-driven idiocy - is to curl up in the fetal position, is either dumb as a bag of hammers, or hasn't been paying attention to the workings of the mass media (and particularly ESPN) over the last several years.

How anyone can critically read that nonsense, and think there is any great issue there, is astounding. And they (MSU) owe it to themselves, and the public as a whole, to point it out..... forcefully.
I think it’s tone deaf and dumb to do that. After what is clearly a massive cock up with regards to the Nassar debacle, hundreds of millions of lawsuits potentially looming, a me too movement nationally, you think that’s a smart move? This isn’t comparable to Sandusky, because I do think our board screwed up in many ways there.

I guess I’d start by disagreeing that it’s a nothing, when 37 out of 37 accused of being abusers (per chi town above), when someone is on tape saying he could see how a woman he was accused of assaulting could feel that she wasn’t freed to leave (Payne), when you have a woman speed bagged at a bar (went to the hospital concussed after being hit by Walton)...I’d say those are not cases I’d want to publically come out swinging against. So maybe just say we are familiar with the allegations, they have been investigated by proper channels and leave it at that? Maybe not say that basically everything espn reported on was wrong, because it wasn’t. Oh yeah, there was that thing about the woman killing herself after being gang raped by football players, and having a member of that team hear about “running a train” on women.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT