ADVERTISEMENT

Don't shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For instance, Micic was only going to lose a year because he had already used his redshirt. That eventually didn't end up mattering.

If it is ruled as he has to lose a year of eligibility, then he will appeal and win. It's really not hard...
Micic invoked the Big 10s "Help out Michigan at any cost" clause

Reactions: diggerpup
Spyker, we need you to get down to rec hall tomorrow and see what is going on.

For instance, Micic was only going to lose a year because he had already used his redshirt. That eventually didn't end up mattering.

If it is ruled as he has to lose a year of eligibility, then he will appeal and win. It's really not hard...
If not hard to do I am certain you have numerous examples other than micic and the Iowa quarterback who I believe was granted a waiver due to his graduate status.

No, but he's someone who prefers Hidlay to Wittlake and Cassiopi to Big Snacks - a post on HR I chuckled at.
I'll take those 2 over the over 2 in a heartbeat. I want to see it at WNO.

ugmpaAB.gif

Things have changed since I sent that. I regret sending it now.

Not trying to pour gas on your fire, but I don't want that tweet to be a source of comfort anymore. I shouldn't have been so definitive. I was made to understand the issues had been worked through and the saga had ended. It hasn't. I'm not saying he's leaving or staying. Just that the information I had then that lead to that tweet has changed.

So what can you share without compromising the family or your sources ?

Nevills who barely scraped by at FloNats? I'll take Cassioppi all day.
Whitlake is tough but then again so is Hidlay. Hidlay beats him with 2 TD's to none. Folkstyle only. Hidlay is better at folk and Whitlake is better at free.

I would spot you 10 points in that doubleheader without breaking a sweat. Probably more.

That seems like a bad idea. I wouldn't blame Penn State fans for preferring their duo, but Hidlay is # 1 at 170 to Wittlake's # 1 at 182, while Cassiopi is #3 to Nevills' #2. Preferring one duo over the other isn't ridiculous, and spotting someone 10 points seems foolish.

I'll believe kids are LEAVING Penn State (starters, that is) when I see it at this point, but there is a LOT of smoke here.

Whitlake is tough but then again so is Hidlay. Hidlay beats him with 2 TD's to none. Folkstyle only. Hidlay is better at folk and Whitlake is better at free.
As a PSU fan, I'm glad your staff agrees (although I doubt they really do). And while I disagree with your point on Hidlay/Wittlake (agree with it if it is Hidlay vs. Whitlake though), it's funny you make that argument one sentence after touting a guy who is credentialed in free over a guy who is way more credentialed in folk.

BTW, I was spotting you 10 points in folk...

That seems like a bad idea. I wouldn't blame Penn State fans for preferring their duo, but Hidlay is # 1 at 170 to Wittlake's # 1 at 182, while Cassiopi is #3 to Nevills' #2. Preferring one duo over the other isn't ridiculous, and spotting someone 10 points seems foolish.
I'd stand by that - 10 points, not in each match but total . Right now both PSU recruits would win comfortably. And I like Hidlay, he's tough and strong. But I wouldn't call him an offensive wizard. And I think Seth would roll Cassiopi right now, although in a few years who knows at heavy. He could close the gap.

As a PSU fan, I'm glad your staff agrees (although I doubt they really do). And while I disagree with your point on Hidlay/Wittlake (agree with it if it is Hidlay vs. Whitlake though), it's funny you make that argument one sentence after touting a guy who is credentialed in free over a guy who is way more credentialed in folk.

BTW, I was spotting you 10 points in folk...

I really hope you don't spot me 10pts in folk. It would be an absolutely terrible bet for you and I'd feel bad taking your money. Jk I'd love to take your money. Cassioppi has shown his dominance in folk this year pinning his way through IL (which has a much tougher crop of HWTs than Cali right now), dominating at USA Postseason Nationals, and going undefeated at Disney. He's a kid who last year I'd have picked Nevills by a wide margin over who has been jumping levels and I think at the very least caught Nevills. Hopefully it happens at WNO

Here are some B1G-to-B1G transfers that didn't lose a season.

i'm gonna be honest - i'm thoroughly unclear on this rule (it's efficacy and/or administration)

http://btn.com/2016/05/03/albrecht-to-purdue-take-a-look-at-other-big-ten-to-big-ten-transfers/

Ryan Nowicki – Penn State to Illinois
NCAA sanctions allowed this to occur. Nowicki was no prize at either program.

Justin Boren – Michigan to Ohio State
IIRC Boren walked-on at Ohio State.

Don't know about the rest.

i'm gonna be honest - i'm thoroughly unclear on this rule (it's efficacy and/or administration)

http://btn.com/2016/05/03/albrecht-to-purdue-take-a-look-at-other-big-ten-to-big-ten-transfers/
The only example I can find in wrestling is Micic, mentioned above, but it was largely assumed that Micic was given the year because of the weird circumstances surrounding Drew Pariano's exit from Northwestern.

Ultimately the NCAA retains a lot of flexibility and isn't transparent about why they bend their own rules, but it seems like they'd want to have some x factor to rely on, and only bend if the student-athlete was somehow unfairly prejudiced by whatever circumstance triggered the desire to transfer. Otherwise why have the rule at all.

The article you are referring to lists only graduate transfers in it's body (not going to take the time to research the other guys listed below).

It is obvious that a non-graduate transfer CAN happen - Micic is an example of that. But it requires an appeal, and the grounds on which the B1G will rule favorably on such are very unclear. A redshirt has nothing to do with it. The rule explicitly states you lose a year of eligibility and a year of eligibility is defined as one of the four years you are eligible to compete in the rule, not the five years you have to use them as some have used as rationale.

Again, not saying Suriano can NOT become eligible for 3 years if he transfers to RU, but saying that the B1G will have to approve his appeal for that to happen. Which is much different than what DayHawk is claiming.

Last edited:

Can throw out all of the grad school transfers as special cases due to
3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions
a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.
The NCAA grad transfer rule is not a free for all (on paper; in practice is another matter). It allows transfers to schools that offer a grad program not available at the undergrad institution. If your current school does not offer your intended grad major, by definition you're inadmissible for grad school there.

Ryan Nowicki – Penn State to Illinois
NCAA sanctions allowed this to occur. Nowicki was no prize at either program.

Justin Boren – Michigan to Ohio State
IIRC Boren walked-on at Ohio State.

Don't know about the rest.

#notajournalist

:rolleyes:

2 of the 3 specific examples listed in the article were graduate transfers. From the listed transfers for Bball and fball not sure of years and circumstances.
In the Jarrod Utoff article it said Iowa coaches were not allowed to contact Utoff until the first day of class. Seems Rutgers may have stepped on that rule.

I hope his is not a case of "Nick wants to be at PSU but his dad is meddling and thinks he knows more about college wrestling than Cael Sanderson."

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I really hope you don't spot me 10pts in folk. It would be an absolutely terrible bet for you and I'd feel bad taking your money. Jk I'd love to take your money. Cassioppi has shown his dominance in folk this year pinning his way through IL (which has a much tougher crop of HWTs than Cali right now), dominating at USA Postseason Nationals, and going undefeated at Disney. He's a kid who last year I'd have picked Nevills by a wide margin over who has been jumping levels and I think at the very least caught Nevills. Hopefully it happens at WNO
I'm glad you feel that way. I hope it happens too, I just spent way too much money for my summer vacation.

I hope his is not a case of "Nick wants to be at PSU but his dad is meddling and thinks he knows more about college wrestling than Cael Sanderson."

I think that this may be the case. Or it could be that Nick voiced some displeasure to his father (pretty typical) and his dad has just taken it and ran with it.

Curious why Iowa fans so engaged in this rumor? Not like Hawks will be sniffing top of podium any time soon? Stick to trying to hang on to 4th place trophy.
Seriously??? The same reason PSU fans talk about the happenings on HR. Not much else happening this time of year.

Rutgers fans ramping up since it looks like they lost PD3.

There is something very strange about the constant sh$tliner rumors year after year and it makes one wonder whether the coaches or boosters are tampering with other schools NJ wrestlers. Only seems to happen with NJ wrestlers. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so much secrecy around a kid who wants to transfer. They usually announce that they are transferring. Something stinks.

There is something very strange about the constant sh$tliner rumors year after year and it makes one wonder whether the coaches or boosters are tampering with other schools NJ wrestlers. Only seems to happen with NJ wrestlers. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so much secrecy around a kid who wants to transfer. They usually announce that they are transferring. Something stinks.

And to add: if the kid wants to be gone they should just let him go. He may be a great wrestler but the drama is really not worth it nor is it good for team chemistry. Good luck to him if he goes to RU and I hope he puts that ring in a good place cause he won't see another one for a while. Don't know about you but I'm over it already. Lol

Who's up next??

Reactions: Creek Side

It sure does seem that way. I suspect Mr. Suriano is going to lawyer up and slant the way the injury was handled in a negative light to try to get an exemption from the BigTen transfer rule. If denied, lawsuit to follow during Nick's redshirt year.

I've searched for the criteria that Micic fell under to get around the rule and there doesn't appear to be any other then if the BigTen says so. Courts tend not to like those kind of arbitrary exceptions so I think they would have a decent chance to challenge although I'm sure the BigTen has very good lawyers and it could get expensive. Hard to believe they want out so bad to take it this far but it appears like that is where this is heading.

Last edited:
Taking Wittlake for example - he is far more technical than Hidlay. He'd take him apart on his feet.

Reactions: dicemen99
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT