ADVERTISEMENT

Don't shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is not going to be popular but if Mr. Suriano has decided this isn't the place for him then we should cut bait and move on. We won without him last year and can do it again this year. I want kids who want to be Nittany Lions. There are plenty out there ...

I know this is not going to be popular but if Mr. Suriano has decided this isn't the place for him then we should cut bait and move on. We won without him last year and can do it again this year. I want kids who want to be Nittany Lions. There are plenty out there ...
I agree with you 100%. Don't grant him his release. Tell him thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya!

Edit/side note: This is how I would feel if he really was holding out because he didn't want to be at PSU. I hope it isn't true.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel

Yeah, if he's on board and has his heart in it, awesome. If he stays only because the grass wasn't greener elsewhere, well, I'm not sure how that's going to pan out.

The analogy that comes to mind is when, after dating for a year, a girl says she "needs some time to figure things out" . . . And you're thinking, "If you don't know by now whether you want to be with me, then I guess we shouldn't fool ourselves about our future."

Not that I've ever been in such a situation, mind you. :oops:

Dang. No idea what is really going on and our emotional defense mechanisms are already kicking in as we attempt to slam the door shut first.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I agree with you 100%. Don't grant him his release. Tell him thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya!
The B1G intra-conference rules distinguish between pre and post-matriculated students and the subject of releases only arises in the context of pre-matriculated students. The restrictions for post-matriculated students, such as Nick, I don't think can be waived even if the PSU staff wanted to. Nick could drop out, leave PSU, and matriculate wherever else he liked, but if it's a B1G school he's going to lose one of his four years of competition eligibility and PSU staff can't change that outcome even if they wanted to.

EDIT to add that if Nick wanted to retain his athletic scholarship (I'm assuming he's on one) he would still need a permission-to-contact letter from PSU in order to transfer, and then a release from PSU. But he'd still lose a year of competition eligibility if the school he chooses is a B1G school. If he foregoes the letter-to-contact letter and just drops out and matriculates elsewhere, he'd lose a year of athletic scholarship, wherever he went. But if didn't get the letter-to-contact, dropped out of PSU, matriculated at a B1G school, he'd lose both a year of competition eligibility and a year of athletic scholarship.

Last edited:
I'm still channeling WildTurk's "party hard tonight, fellas" strategy. Currently taking down a bowl of local Maryland cherries washed down with a cold citrusy Proseco. It's summer guys. We'll be fine. He'll be fine.

Reactions: TangSoo
*spends the summer at home close to the beach, trains locally*

TRAITOR

I would agree that there just isn't enough info to be so negative on Suriano at this point. Who knows how much his family is driving this, how much Rutgers has been involved, maybe there is a girlfriend at Rutgers he needs to dump (just joking), etc.

A lot of stuff going on with Mr. and staff. Nick wants to stay so he doesn't lose a year of wrestling. Only reason. It would be interesting to see how team/staff reacts if he does decide to return for that purpose.

As for my other post: "confirmed"as in he stated he was going there. Nothing signed yet or releases.

Sorry should have been more specific.

Don't want to believe any of these rumors especially bc I don't think we have a viable replacement... but how many interviews have we heard from Cael only wanting kids that want to be at psu? If Nick wants to leave is Cael & co going to get in the way? The only thing stopping him is losing a year of wrestling which in and of itself is idiotic. Not sure I understand the rationale for that from B 10.

Don't want to believe any of these rumors especially bc I don't think we have a viable replacement... but how many interviews have we heard from Cael only wanting kids that want to be at psu? If Nick wants to leave is Cael & co going to get in the way? The only thing stopping him is losing a year of wrestling which in and of itself is idiotic. Not sure I understand the rationale for that from B 10.
Do people really believe Cael has never talked a head-strong kid and/or head-strong parent into staying?

If he hasn't, then he's the only coach in the history of college athletics to not do so.

A lot of stuff going on with Mr. and staff. Nick wants to stay so he doesn't lose a year of wrestling. Only reason. It would be interesting to see how team/staff reacts if he does decide to return for that purpose.

As for my other post: "confirmed"as in he stated he was going there. Nothing signed yet or releases.

Sorry should have been more specific.
According to the person I have been getting my info from Nick will be eligible right away. His dad is using the claim that he shouldn't have been thrown out there with the injury. Using this against Cael and in his fight to the NCAA and will be granted a full release if this goes through. Nick has been at SKWC a lot wrestling and rolling around with Edgar. Has no intentions on making his way back to happy valley. Doesn't look good for the good guys. Again I don't know Nick but this is just what I am hearing from the Rutgers side.

Reactions: KidDagger
Hope so, but I believe on both sides the adults involved are pretty strong-willed, so who knows?
Cael and staff will take a trip if necessary to talk with them i would assume but i really think this thing is a huge rumor.

According to the person I have been getting my info from Nick will be eligible right away. His dad is using the claim that he shouldn't have been thrown out there with the injury. Using this against Cael and in his fight to the NCAA and will be granted a full release if this goes through. Nick has been at SKWC a lot wrestling and rolling around with Edgar. Has no intentions on making his way back to happy valley. Doesn't look good for the good guys. Again I don't know Nick but this is just what I am hearing from the Rutgers side.
Doesn't make sense. He only showed up on the mat at Big 10s to qualify and immediately defaulted, right?

That's complete nonsense. First, Nick did not wrestle again after the injury. Second, this wasn't discussed thoroughly at the time?

What is it about this rumor that disengages the BS radar? Penn State Pessimism (TM)?

How was Nick thrown back out there? Nick wanted to continue, Cael threw in the towel.
Yes. Nick wanted to continue. Cael ask him flat out. That is not true that he was thrown out there. Yes Cael then stopped it right away. OMG that is crazy. That has to be coming from Rutgers fans making crap up.

Yes. Nick wanted to continue. Cael ask him flat out. That is not true that he was thrown out there. Yes Cael then stopped it right away. OMG that is crazy. That has to be coming from Rutgers fans making crap up.
that's how I saw it too

That's complete nonsense. First, Nick did not wrestle again after the injury. Second, this wasn't discussed thoroughly at the time?

What is it about this rumor that disengages the BS radar? Penn State Pessimism (TM)?
Nick wanted to wrestle at Nationals and Cael and the Dr. said no you can win 3 Titles we don't want to make things worse. Now Nick was not happy about that but he was protecting him. This is BS.

Either way..just end already. I think he is bat sh I t crazy if he leaves but if he wants to piss his college career away on a middling team, more power to him. How PSU can be faulted for anything that happened after his injury makes no sense.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
This sounds like the logic employed by many of the people I know from Jersey.

I'm allowed to say this as my family is from P'Burg. The Pit was a fine example of the intellect used above.

Reactions: Gebmo

False lol

The strange thing too is that at the banquet last year after they won the tourney, Cael went out of his way to praise Nick and speak of how he would have been the 6th NC if healthy. All seemed well then. I can't imagine what changed but oh well...

Reactions: diggerpup
The strange thing too is that at the banquet last year after they won the tourney, Cael went out of his way to praise Nick and speak of how he would have been the 6th NC if healthy. All seemed well then. I can't imagine what changed but oh well...
Rutgers fans ramping up since it looks like they lost PD3.

Reactions: diggerpup
If the B1G requirement to lose a year was waived on the basis of a coaching decision to wrestle or not wrestle a guy in the postseason -- after he had competed in every scheduled competition date (not counting CKLV) during the regular season -- then, man, that would be some weak sauce. Better just waive the entire rule.

Something else would have to qualify for a waiver . . . I just have no idea what possibly could. As tikk has pointed out several times, there would not appear to be any legitimate way around the rule.

just so people have it for later

Things have changed since I sent that. I regret sending it now.

Not trying to pour gas on your fire, but I don't want that tweet to be a source of comfort anymore. I shouldn't have been so definitive. I was made to understand the issues had been worked through and the saga had ended. It hasn't. I'm not saying he's leaving or staying. Just that the information I had then that lead to that tweet has changed.

He would not lose a year of eligibility. He still has a remaining redshirt that he would have to take.

He would not lose a year of eligibility. He still has a remaining redshirt that he would have to take.

Well-Here-we.jpg

For instance, Micic was only going to lose a year because he had already used his redshirt. That eventually didn't end up mattering.

If it is ruled as he has to lose a year of eligibility, then he will appeal and win. It's really not hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT