ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Chittum Flips Commitment From Iowa

There will never be a truce with the cult. Iowa wrestling is a cult when it comes to people leaving. St. John,Metcalf,Gilman,Dresser, and others are going to be attacked and the people they love won't be safe either. A cult can't have people who leave escape with the rest of the cult seeing them as rational people. Anyone who leaves the cult of Hawkeye wrestling is going to be demonized and represented as a bad person. ISU fans watch Austin Gomez leave and still cheer for him. PSU fans brag up guys like Ruth and Frank the tank even though they left. Cenzo is still loved even though he left. This is not ok in Iowa circles. The minute you leave to pursue better opportunities you are labeled as bad in the Cult of Iowa.

I don't think your assessment is too far off, so I would classify it more as an entitled Fanbase. Think Notre Dame in football, what have they done the last how many years?

I think they made the playoffs two or three times but they probably didn't deserve to really make it in there and got creamed.

The Iowa fan base, or at least certain Fox on social media, just think their designated by God to win. They are Mecca, the program with the greatest history , and everyone needs to acknowledge thst or you're a hater.

It's not 1975 now or 1997. It's not even 2010, it's 2023. And the wrestling world has changed .

If you ask me what Iowa could do to get at the top of the intercollegiate, wrestling world and dominate, I will say nothing. Right now can't be done, as long as Sanderson is coaching at Penn State and if I had to guess 5 to 15 years, it's probably going to be how long he's there, if not longer. And if that is true, the machine will keep on chugging away.

I don't think your assessment is too far off, so I would classify it more as an entitled Fanbase. Think Notre Dame in football, what have they done the last how many years?

I think they made the playoffs two or three times but they probably didn't deserve to really make it in there and got creamed.

The Iowa fan base, or at least certain Fox on social media, just think their designated by God to win. They are Mecca, the program with the greatest history , and everyone needs to acknowledge thst or you're a hater.

It's not 1975 now or 1997. It's not even 2010, it's 2023. And the wrestling world has changed .

If you ask me what Iowa could do to get at the top of the intercollegiate, wrestling world and dominate, I will say nothing. Right now can't be done, as long as Sanderson is coaching at Penn State and if I had to guess 5 to 15 years, it's probably going to be how long he's there, if not longer. And if that is true, the machine will keep on chugging away.
better watch it 98lber will throw out another 4 paragraph post as to why scumbag bob and Iowa is still the mecca of wrestling.

better watch it 98lber will throw out another 4 paragraph post as to why scumbag bob and Iowa is still the mecca of wrestling.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Your work is impressive, I see it as a mix of Maverick/Iceman. I'm still a rookie, maybe above Bob, possibly Hangman/Rooster level.

To set it up well you take a moderate approach early on, say months out and slowly reverse field agreeing with the posters who initially disagreed with the crowd. If you have Vodka liking posts of yours I think you can say you're operating at a decent level.
Sometimes even I can get triggered, misplace my Buddha Nature, and lose my way. I'm not perfect. Certain times seem call for different measures. One approach is to become a reflection of the other that they might become more self-aware. I wish I could say it always works.

So let's just say people who use their position to treat others unfairly (e.g., cancel culture) under some guise of self-righteousness might be one of my triggers. I need to meditate on it to understand why.

I think maybe I could be having flashbacks. Could be seeing visions of mini-Rupert Murdocks tilting against their own visions of a mini-Dominion Voting Systems.

Anyways, I wish people wouldn't act like they know for a fact what someone else intended by a two-line blurb.

Sometimes even I can get triggered, misplace my Buddha Nature, and lose my way. I'm not perfect. Certain times seem call for different measures. One approach is to become a reflection of the other that they might become more self-aware. I wish I could say it always works.

So let's just say people who use their position to treat others unfairly (e.g., cancel culture) under some guise of self-righteousness might be one of my triggers. I need to meditate on it to understand why.

I think maybe I could be having flashbacks. Could be seeing visions of mini-Rupert Murdocks tilting against their own visions of a mini-Dominion Voting Systems.

Anyways, I wish people wouldn't act like they know for a fact what someone else intended by a two-line blurb.
Sometimes is ass kicking time, and I value peace over war. But if you're perceived to be weak , you incite war.

And sometimes busting balls is fun. To quote that guy from the Dropkick Murphys, it's all bullshit, it's just sports.

Exactly

I think both the wrestling social media guy in the big booster guy are morons. If I was a big booster guy, I would take all my money donate to the program, and then sit back and enjoy my inside information and access to that kind of stuff that big booster guys get.

I bet my luxury box they had some real good bourbon, since I gave them a 1 million or two. And probably was real good chicken wings kind of cost eight dollars.

As for social media, wrestling guy, and I really don't know who he is, I don't know if you wanna get too involved in the mock with your average fans. State your opinions, but give everyone a fair assessment just so you don't chase off fans or subscribers.

As shown at Iowa, the Sanderson residual will last an additional 5 years or so after Cael kicks back to become the ever present towering shadow. Even after Cael is done the best Iowa will be able to hope for is a little parity amongst the top programs. Between Gable and Cael Minnesota, Okie State and Iowa took turns being the top dog.

If Penn State magically picks the perfect replacement then the run may last an additional 2 decades or so. By that time I would be in my late 80s to mid 90s and I can live with that.

busting balls is fun
Agreed. I try to keep it good natured.

I don't understand why Mineo felt compelled to engage a 60 year old retired man who fat thumbs away at his Android phone as a low-cost hobby in retirement.

I didn't tag him or Willie, not because I was afraid of their reaction, but rather because I knew my take was fairly harsh on them motive-wise and who the F am I, anyways. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I was calling it like I saw it.

Maybe I should've kept my opinion to myself. Clearly I touched a nerve. Then my nerve was touched in return. Quid pro quo.

I can't even remember what I wrote, but a good bit of it was intended to be humorous. Some of it was more biting. I guess it left a sting. What's that line from "Pulp Fiction"... oh yeah, "The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f***ing with you. F*** pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."

Agreed. I try to keep it good natured.

I don't understand why Mineo felt compelled to engage a 60 year old retired man who fat thumbs away at his Android phone as a low-cost hobby in retirement.

I didn't tag him or Willie, not because I was afraid of their reaction, but rather because I knew my take was fairly harsh on them motive-wise and who the F am I, anyways. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I was calling it like I saw it.

Maybe I should've kept my opinion to myself. Clearly I touched a nerve. Then my nerve was touched in return. Quid pro quo.

I can't even remember what I wrote, but a good bit of it was intended to be humorous. Some of it was more biting. I guess it left a sting. What's that line from "Pulp Fiction"... oh yeah, "The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f***ing with you. F*** pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."
Damn, I wish someone would touch MY nerve. I miss being young!

As shown at Iowa, the Sanderson residual will last an additional 5 years or so after Cael kicks back to become the ever present towering shadow. Even after Cael is done the best Iowa will be able to hope for is a little parity amongst the top programs. Between Gable and Cael Minnesota, Okie State and Iowa took turns being the top dog.

If Penn State magically picks the perfect replacement then the run may last an additional 2 decades or so. By that time I would be in my late 80s to mid 90s and I can live with that.
The reduction in Iowa Wrestling results has causes very similar to Nebraska Football. These causes can not be overcome. Iowa is running on the faint fumes of their ages old dynasty. Game over!

The reduction in Iowa Wrestling results has causes very similar to Nebraska Football. These causes can not be overcome. Iowa is running on the faint fumes of their ages old dynasty. Game over!
Yeah, but Iowa is still very much relevant in wrestling. Not so much in developing any individual champs or developing guys who are probably going to win Olympic medals, but in producing tough teams and remaining a top 5 program. Nebraska, man their post Tom Osborne decline was almost immediate and progresses as we speak. The Cornhuskers are damn lucky they were absorbed into the Big10. Nowadays the Big10, ACC, SEC and Pac12 would be more persuaded to take a Baylor or TCU and leave the husker for the MAC.

Yeah, but Iowa is still very much relevant in wrestling. Not so much in developing any individual champs or developing guys who are probably going to win Olympic medals, but in producing tough teams and remaining a top 5 program. Nebraska, man their post Tom Osborne decline was almost immediate and progresses as we speak. The Cornhuskers are damn lucky they were absorbed into the Big10. Nowadays the Big10, ACC, SEC and Pac12 would be more persuaded to take a Baylor or TCU and leave the husker for the MAC.
Yeah I don’t think it’s quite as analogous. Nebraska had a lot of issues with population shifts and recruiting changing significantly.

Yeah I don’t think it’s quite as analogous. Nebraska had a lot of issues with population shifts and recruiting changing significantly.
It's similar to Iowa, Pennsylvania was always a hotbed of wrestling, we just didn't have the right coach and the commitment to win like we're doing now.

Look at Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State football. These teams are having success but if you look at the last how many winners of the national championships in college football came from the Norris, I think Ohio State is the only one close to 10 years ago..

The geography benefits Penn State now just as much as it does for Alabama and Georgia .

Reactions: Ski
Nebraska's problems also involved joining a much tougher league with a requirement on how many non-Power Five teams can be scheduled.

Sometimes is ass kicking time, and I value peace over war. But if you're perceived to be weak , you incite war.

And sometimes busting balls is fun. To quote that guy from the Dropkick Murphys, it's all bullshit, it's just sports.
Let's just leave it at it's all bullshit

I still remember MSU158 on The Mat pretending he wasn't an Iowa fan from 8 years ago...I guess that constant pounding finally drew him out to reveal himself.
I love the guy’s highly unlikely scenarios that always come back to Iowa somehow pulling out a dual or national title. E.G Moore will hold Taylor to a decision, Evans will major Brown, Gambrall gets over the hump against Wright, etc

I still remember MSU158 on The Mat pretending he wasn't an Iowa fan from 8 years ago...I guess that constant pounding finally drew him out to reveal himself.
He tells it now that his allegiance changed to Iowa fandom shortly after Metcalf left VT with Brands while MSU weren't taking his advice. So that puts it at 2008ish, or 15 years ago..

I've busted his balls a few times about using that handle on (HR)GIA. You may've given him PTSD, he gets so triggered whenever anyone brings it up.

He takes himself way too seriously, IMHO.

He donated $100 to WFL last year after I took PSU by over 131.5. Somehow his analysis was nevertheless flawless. Just that Van Ness and Bartlett way overperformed. 👀

He tells it now that his allegiance changed to Iowa fandom shortly after Metcalf left VT with Brands while MSU weren't taking his advice. So that puts it at 2008ish, or 15 years ago..

I've busted his balls a few times about using that handle on (HR)GIA. You may've given him PTSD, he gets so triggered whenever anyone brings it up.

He takes himself way too seriously, IMHO.

He donated $100 to WFL last year after I took PSU by over 131.5. Somehow his analysis was nevertheless flawless. Just that Van Ness and Bartlett way overperformed. 👀
He was salty when I said seven teams that are separated by 40 to 45 points are pretty close. He insisted Iowa will be a solid second place.

I insisted it's close, I can't predict who will place where, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Ski
He was salty when I said seven teams that are separated by 40 to 45 points are pretty close. He insisted Iowa will be a solid second place.

I insisted it's close, I can't predict who will place where, rinse and repeat.
DO NOT question him why he's so gung ho for Iowa when he's obviously an MSU fan. (Or do if you're interested in an experience.)

If you choose the latter, then you could tell him a story about how your boy had to change allegiances when his Little League team sponsor went bankrupt, and then they were sponsored by a Chevy dealer, while your strictly a Ford man... or some meandering yarn like that.

Maybe work in power lifting sponsorships.

Last edited:
Nebraska's problems also involved joining a much tougher league with a requirement on how many non-Power Five teams can be scheduled.
I mean that wasn’t really an issue in the 90s but yes it’s a problem now, mostly because they’re now a mediocre program.

I love the guy’s highly unlikely scenarios that always come back to Iowa somehow pulling out a dual or national title. E.G Moore will hold Taylor to a decision, Evans will major Brown, Gambrall gets over the hump against Wright, etc
He has at least 2 per season and every one of them has the formula for an Iowa national championship 😆 🤣 😂

He has at least 2 per season and every one of them has the formula for an Iowa national championship 😆 🤣 😂
That’s the best thing about Askren on FRL. When the rest of the crew concocts some crazy way for Iowa to win - which depends on about 9 things going right for Iowa, wrong for us - he dismissively shoots it down. He’s not big into wasting time on hopeless causes

DO NOT question him why he's so gung ho for Iowa when he's obviously an MSU fan. (Or do if you're interested in an experience).

If you choose the latter, then you could tell him a story about how your boy had to change allegiances when his Little League team sponsor went bankrupt, and then they were sponsored by a Chevy dealer, while your strictly a Ford man... or some meandering yarn like that.

Maybe work in power lifting sponsorships.
Believe it or not I have a story like that . My sons town team was in kind of a state of flux. He didn't know if they were going to have a team, so his mom started him up with a team in the next town over.

Right after he signed up for that team and he couldn't switch back the other team get their act together and were going to play.

It was like the island of misfit toys, my poor kid didn't even get a game ball for any game. He was one of the two top players on the team, and no matter how well he did, They always gave the game ball to some kid who at least tried. 🤷‍♂️

That’s the best thing about Askren on FRL. When the rest of the crew concocts some crazy way for Iowa to win - which depends on about 9 things going right for Iowa, wrong for us - he dismissively shoots it down. He’s not big into wasting time on hopeless causes
He has some good solid takes.

Believe it or not I have a story like that . My sons town team was in kind of a state of flux. He didn't know if they were going to have a team, so his mom started him up with a team in the next town over.

Right after he signed up for that team and he couldn't switch back the other team get their act together and were going to play.

It was like the island of misfit toys, my poor kid didn't even get a game ball for any game. He was one of the two top players on the team, and no matter how well he did, They always gave the game ball to some kid who at least tried. 🤷‍♂️
Ummm... yeah, I think you "briefly" mentioned something about your son's little league before. 😆 🤣 😂

Ummm... yeah, I think you "briefly" mentioned something about your son's little league before. 😆 🤣 😂
I'm growing stronger....

I swear some people on the team had syndromes, that's the only way I could put it. It was a stereotype of the bad little league team.

I tried to teach him some life lessons then, I told him some of these kids are never going to play a sport again, so let them have a little glory and be glad for them.

I'm growing stronger....

I swear some people on the team had syndromes, that's the only way I could put it. It was a stereotype of the bad little league team.

I tried to teach him some life lessons then, I told him some of these kids are never going to play a sport again, so let them have a little glory and be glad for them.
Does he at least enjoy LL and interacting with the other players?

swear some people on the team had syndromes
I coached a young player whose Dad later informed me of their autism and sensitivity to touch. By later I mean after he screamed bloody murder when I attempted to adjust his grip on his bat at our first practice. Would've been nice to be informed ahead of time.

I coached another player who had juvenile diabetes. Was constantly left out of post game snack time. Having a similarly afflicted nephew, I took to packing him a diabetic friendly snack. He really wanted to catch, but his mom was afraid the gear would interfere with the pump. We figured a way to set him up for a full inning behind the plate with his pump temporarily removed. That was more meaningful than any championship.

One learns to work with and grow from such experiences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT