ADVERTISEMENT

CKLV

He didn't "gas," he received what appeared to be a concussion (possibly at the end of the Andonian match, definitely at the beginning of his second loss).
NCAA wrestling allows extended (IIRC unlimited) injury time for concussions. Was this taken in either match?

If he were concussed at either point, and the Cornell coaches and medical staff allowed him to continue -- especially if they let him continue for 2 additional matches -- is that something Cornell would want to advertise to recruits?

But keep doubling down on this.

Dougie Payne Doctor GIF by Travis

I don't think any PSU fan would like someone breaking Cael's college record, but that doesn't mean they would root against someone who isn't even close to doing so. If someone ever gets close to the record, then maybe fans will root against that person, but nobody is rooting against a Freshman because they're worried that he could break Cael's record.

Do Dolphin fans root against teams that are 2-0 or 3-0, because they're afraid their record will be broken, or does that happen when a team is 10-0 or 12-0, when there is a realistic chance the record could actually be broken?

It's not possible to break his record of zero loses. A tie is possible, and I'd root against a tie.
But there is that loss, albeit in Freestyle, I believe

You mean the concussion he received, possibly at the end of the Andonian match? Or the one he definitely received in his last match?

I was very surprised that he was allowed to continue in his second loss. He was clearly impacted.

Given that it all transpired off-camera, we don't know what happened, so we are just speculating.

He didn't "gas," he received what appeared to be a concussion (possibly at the end of the Andonian match, definitely at the beginning of his second loss).
I'm so confused. First a clear diagnosis. Then just speculation. Now back to a fairly clear diagnosis?

tv land doctor GIF by nobodies.

So, were you the MD on site to say he "definitely" received a concussion. Your opinion is still simple speculation. Maybe he is just not the second coming of Cael and took a few early season losses in his true freshman year like 99% of wrestlers do.
I was not the MD on site, but I did see this:

fMXmEmC.png

I haven't seen anyone on this board saying they hoped Shapiro would lose, so Cael's record would remain intact. Perhaps, I missed those posts. Unless you can provide a post of someone claiming that to be so, then there isn't anything to support your argument.
Just to be clear you are saying any person who would root for someone to lose to maintain Cael's record would also be required to post their wishes on a message board? Your saying there is not one person who is a Penn State wrestling fan that would not root to preserve his record even thought we have seen proof in other sports (i.e. 1972 Dolphins that). Not seeing proof does not mean someone reacts with happiness when it occurs.

I would not bother me if someone broke his record, as long as they are from PSU and preferably while Cael is the coach.
However, I don't see anyone having 159 matches in a career anytime soon. So, that record is safe.
At current trends, the next undefeated 4xer may not have 100 wins.

Reactions: Sleepylion
I was at CKLV for the first day. I'll add my personal impressions and a few interesting anecdotes.

First of all, this was THE big tournament of the year except for the end of the season championships. When you look at the teams that showed up, CKLV seems to have replaced the Southern Scuffle, at least for this year. However, that being said, the organizers running the venue did a really bad job. There was no information available telling people where to park and how to find the building where the tournament was held. Fortunately, the people who were working at the Westgate hotel complex were available to provide directions.

There was no information readily available for mat assignments. You had to go to Flo Arena to get the information, but the wireless network wasn't available in the building unless you had a room. You had to listen carefully for the announcer to call the names and mat number for individual matches. If you missed hearing the announcement, you were SOL. I missed a bunch of matches that I wanted to see. If they hold the event at the same place next year, someone better do a better job at helping out the spectators.

A few interesting anecdotes.

I saw Peyton Robb and had a chance to give him some good words of encouragement. I had a dose of the same infection to my right leg when I was about 13 or 14 years old. It didn't get as bad as it did for Peyton, but I was running a fever that was so high I almost passed out. I told Peyton about my experience and said I was really glad to see that he recovered. He was just as gracious in person as you have seen him on TV. I was really happy to see him named OW.

Had a brief chat with Brent Metcalf where I told him I thought they were doing a great job at ISU getting the program back on track. Metcalf was also just like I've heard him described - really friendly and down to earth. ISU made a good choice when they hired him.

Ran into a lot of old timers who are even older than me. Some of us have a few mutual friends and it was fun swapping stories about the old times.

Driving in LV is downright SCARY! You have to be really alert at all times if you want to avoid getting into an accident. I was pretty relieved when I was clear of traffic and headed home on I-15.

With Ohio State, the joke is rarely the wrestler, though the wrestler is often the foil for the joke. The joke is almost always the coach, the program, the PR machine, or the fans.
No wrestlers their wrestlers are made of fun of regularly on this board… that’s just a fact. And no Micah Jordan hasn’t got off bottom yet.

Go back just 2-3 pages and you will read specifically about the wrestlers who only look good coming off a bus, typical tan jokes, deadlift jokes, can’t get off bottom , fancy robes issues..I mean cmon they are constant.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Last edited:
No wrestlers their wrestlers are made of fun of regularly on this board… that’s just a fact. And no Micah Jordan hasn’t got off bottom yet.

Go back just 2-3 pages and you will read specifically about the wrestlers who only look good coming off a bus, typical tan jokes, deadlift jokes, can’t get off bottom , fancy robes issues..I mean cmon they are constant.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Those are all posted at the expense of the program and its overarching philosophies and operational goals.

If anything, they are digs at Tom Ryan (who by all accounts is a stand up guy).

I was at CKLV for the first day. I'll add my personal impressions and a few interesting anecdotes.

First of all, this was THE big tournament of the year except for the end of the season championships. When you look at the teams that showed up, CKLV seems to have replaced the Southern Scuffle, at least for this year. However, that being said, the organizers running the venue did a really bad job. There was no information available telling people where to park and how to find the building where the tournament was held. Fortunately, the people who were working at the Westgate hotel complex were available to provide directions.

There was no information readily available for mat assignments. You had to go to Flo Arena to get the information, but the wireless network wasn't available in the building unless you had a room. You had to listen carefully for the announcer to call the names and mat number for individual matches. If you missed hearing the announcement, you were SOL. I missed a bunch of matches that I wanted to see. If they hold the event at the same place next year, someone better do a better job at helping out the spectators.

I saw Peyton Robb and had a chance to give him some good words of encouragement. I had a dose of the same infection to my right leg when I was about 13 or 14 years old. It didn't get as bad as it did for Peyton, but I was running a fever that was so high I almost passed out. I told Peyton about my experience and said I was really glad to see that he recovered. He was just as gracious in person as you have seen him on TV. I was really happy to see him named OW.

Had a brief chat with Brent Metcalf where I told him I thought they were doing a great job at ISU getting the program back on track. Metcalf was also just like I've heard him described - really friendly and down to earth. ISU made a good choice when they hired him.

Ran into a lot of old timers who are even older than me. Some of us have a few mutual friends and it was fun swapping stories about the old times.

Driving in LV is downright SCARY! You have to be really alert at all times if you want to avoid getting into an accident. I was pretty relieved when I was clear of traffic and headed home on I-15.
I concur with your points about the organization of the tournament, but I'm sure glad I was talked into attending. There were some great matches all tournament long and it is always fun to watch some of the young guys get cracks at established guys.

Stanford has some really solid young hammers! I'm glad you were able to visit with Brent as he truly is a great leader of men and has done very well at getting his guys to buy in and believe.

I think everyone is a fan of Robb at this point. It was nice to see he has made a full recovery and looks better than ever.

Just to be clear you are saying any person who would root for someone to lose to maintain Cael's record would also be required to post their wishes on a message board? Your saying there is not one person who is a Penn State wrestling fan that would not root to preserve his record even thought we have seen proof in other sports (i.e. 1972 Dolphins that). Not seeing proof does not mean someone reacts with happiness when it occurs.
When did I make the claim that,"any person who would root for someone to lose to maintain Cael's record would also be required to post their wishes on a message board?" That's a speculation of your own creation, which has nothing to do with anything I posted.

I'm not sure how to quote it, but in post #299 I clarified what I said, but you must have missed that one, so here it is again:

"I don't think any PSU fan would like someone breaking Cael's college record, but that doesn't mean they would root against someone who isn't even close to doing so. If someone ever gets close to the record, then maybe fans will root against that person, but nobody is rooting against a Freshman because they're worried that he could break Cael's record.

Do Dolphin fans root against teams that are 2-0 or 3-0, because they're afraid their record will be broken, or does that happen when a team is 10-0 or 12-0, when there is a realistic chance the record could actually be broken?"

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. In post #266 you originally stated, "Factually I couldn't say for sure but understanding typical human behavior when it comes to sports and also comments on this board following a hyped wrestler losing for the first time I would assume so."

So, you understand 'typical human behavior,' but can't provide any facts supporting your current claim and are only making an assumption?

Your last post (#331) starts by talking about people rooting for someone to lose so Cael's record can be maintained, and then at the end you switch to talking about someone reacting without happiness? What does actively rooting against someone & being unhappy with a result have to do with each other? Those are two completely different things. When you claim to 'understand typical human behavior' what are you basing that upon, because you don't sound like an expert in the field?

Last edited:
I concur with your points about the organization of the tournament, but I'm sure glad I was talked into attending. There were some great matches all tournament long and it is always fun to watch some of the young guys get cracks at established guys.

Stanford has some really solid young hammers! I'm glad you were able to visit with Brent as he truly is a great leader of men and has done very well at getting his guys to buy in and believe.

I think everyone is a fan of Robb at this point. It was nice to see he has made a full recovery and looks better than ever.
Dang! I wish I had known you would be there - I would have liked to have met up with you at some point. Just curious - are you familiar with Jim Duschen who wrestled for ISU in the 1966 - 1968 time frame? He's one of the old timers I talked to. Super nice guy. We have a mutual friend, Mickey Stewart who was on the ISU team at the same time. He was a real character, and we had a few laughs talking about him.

Dang! I wish I had known you would be there - I would have liked to have met up with you at some point. Just curious - are you familiar with Jim Duschen who wrestled for ISU in the 1966 - 1968 time frame? He's one of the old timers I talked to. Super nice guy. We have a mutual friend, Mickey Stewart who was on the ISU team at the same time. He was a real character, and we had a few laughs talking about him.
Dont you guys have facespace or something? 😉

I knew Jim quite well. He is a good decade older than I am but is somewhat of a legend. Old age is hell. I think Jim lives out west somewhere. He is one of the Waterloo boys.

Totally agree about “scary” driving in LV. Son and I did some hiking in Cal’s eastern Sierras in October, flying in and out of Vegas. Had to be at least 3 times I thought we’d crash, mostly with folks dangerously changing highway lanes to reach tricky off ramps.
Too cool how you got to talk with Robb, commiserate on the infection, and offer encouragement. He’s easy to root for, in all matches that don’t include a cat named Levi.

If someone ever does equal Cael's undefeated 4xer record, we all hope he is wearing blue and white. Granted noone is every going 159-0 again.

I-15 from McCarran to a mile or so north of downtown is basically Fast & Furious, except without the cautious drivers.

But, last time I was there (2018), the other roads were relatively easy driving, aside from the usual suffocating traffic on The Strip.

Going back in February, curious about the fallout effects of the F1 race.

I knew Jim quite well. He is a good decade older than I am but is somewhat of a legend. Old age is hell. I think Jim lives out west somewhere. He is one of the Waterloo boys.
Did you see Jim this last weekend? He was there and when I spoke to him, he had someone with him who would have been just about your age. He said he's lived in Las Vegas since 1977. I guess he got tired of the cold, windy weather in Iowa during the winter. I know he's starting to get up there in his years, but he sure wasn't someone that I would have wanted to mess around with when he was younger. I remember one wild escapade that he was involved with a long time ago, but I'm not going to tell it on a public forum!

I did talk to him but wasn't with him for very long. If you want to hear some Greco advice he is your guy. He used to come back and do Greco clinics and was known as one of the best coaches in the sport. I didn't do much of anything but camp in one spot and watch wrestling. Knee replacement coming next month and my crippled old ass can't handle much walking right now.

I did talk to him but wasn't with him for very long. If you want to hear some Greco advice he is your guy. He used to come back and do Greco clinics and was known as one of the best coaches in the sport. I didn't do much of anything but camp in one spot and watch wrestling. Knee replacement coming next month and my crippled old ass can't handle much walking right now.
Oh, shit, man, good luck. Getting old is rough. I just went through my 4th round of Euflexxa shots in the last 10 years to try to stave off full replacement, but it's coming eventually.

Oh, shit, man, good luck. Getting old is rough. I just went through my 4th round of Euflexxa shots in the last 10 years to try to stave off full replacement, but it's coming eventually.
Looks like we may need to start a new thread entitled “My old body is wearing out!”. Too many of us old guys on here. I’m looking at Green Light laser surgery in the near future. Don’t look it up, you really don’t want to know!

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Looks like we may need to start a new thread entitled “My old body is wearing out!”. Too many of us old guys on here. I’m looking at Green Light laser surgery in the near future. Don’t look it up, you really don’t want to know!
Well just remember, you have two options. You either get old, or you don't. :rolleyes:

I don't think any PSU fan would like someone breaking Cael's college record, but that doesn't mean they would root against someone who isn't even close to doing so. If someone ever gets close to the record, then maybe fans will root against that person, but nobody is rooting against a Freshman because they're worried that he could break Cael's record.

Do Dolphin fans root against teams that are 2-0 or 3-0, because they're afraid their record will be broken, or does that happen when a team is 10-0 or 12-0, when there is a realistic chance the record could actually be broken?
Somehow, the Steelers took their first L dropping to 11-1 on this date in 2020

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT