ADVERTISEMENT

CB John Reid ready for break out season....

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Came in with offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc etc etc. Seems like a common theme with the new offensive line coach and the new secondary coach is a simplified playbook to allow them to play faster.

DSC9322.jpg

"The kid does everything right," linebacker Nyeem Wartman-White said in July. "He works very hard. He's very fundamentally sound. I just like him.

"He's a great kid, all-around; never seen someone so far ahead of his time when it comes to maturity. He's the type of kid you bring [to Big Ten Media Days] next year as a true junior, because he's just such a standup guy."

Reid, a sophomore Engineering major, will transition from a reserve corner and sub package specialty to lockdown corner opposite Haley.

"Coach Banks, it's just a different insight," Reid said. "He's been coaching the secondary a long time, he's also been a defensive coordinator, and he wants us to bring more of that swagger. That also comes back to Coach Pry allowing us to just play."

He's vocal on the field, one of the loudest according to those close to the program, and there's a very good chance that pundit's nation wise will be loudly praising him by December.

Reid isn't worried about that, though. He merely wants what normal Penn State students want: a high quality education, and a winning football program.

"My focus, I just want to be a great player," he said. "I came here to get a great education and play great football, and those are my focuses entirely."

Came in with offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc etc etc. Seems like a common theme with the new offensive line coach and the new secondary coach is a simplified playbook to allow them to play faster.

DSC9322.jpg

"The kid does everything right," linebacker Nyeem Wartman-White said in July. "He works very hard. He's very fundamentally sound. I just like him.

"He's a great kid, all-around; never seen someone so far ahead of his time when it comes to maturity. He's the type of kid you bring [to Big Ten Media Days] next year as a true junior, because he's just such a standup guy."

Reid, a sophomore Engineering major, will transition from a reserve corner and sub package specialty to lockdown corner opposite Haley.

"Coach Banks, it's just a different insight," Reid said. "He's been coaching the secondary a long time, he's also been a defensive coordinator, and he wants us to bring more of that swagger. That also comes back to Coach Pry allowing us to just play."

He's vocal on the field, one of the loudest according to those close to the program, and there's a very good chance that pundit's nation wise will be loudly praising him by December.

Reid isn't worried about that, though. He merely wants what normal Penn State students want: a high quality education, and a winning football program.

"My focus, I just want to be a great player," he said. "I came here to get a great education and play great football, and those are my focuses entirely."

thanks for the info.
Confused about this though...""Coach Banks, it's just a different insight," Reid said. "He's been coaching the secondary a long time, he's also been a defensive coordinator, and he wants us to bring more of that swagger.
Isn't his position coach Terry Smith?

Love him as a cover corner; can really stick to the receiver and has good ball awareness. Not the biggest guy, but he's not afraid to cover and tackle big WRs and backs.

I'd like to see his tackling improve, that was the one area I thought he was a little iffy at.
He was very good for a true freshman.

thanks for the info.
Confused about this though...""Coach Banks, it's just a different insight," Reid said. "He's been coaching the secondary a long time, he's also been a defensive coordinator, and he wants us to bring more of that swagger.
Isn't his position coach Terry Smith?

I don't know the direct line of authority....but Banks was named Assistant DC iirc. Maybe Banks is "in charge" of the secondary?

If Reid improves his tackling and Haley holds onto interceptions, this could be the best pair of CBs at PSU in a long, long time. They have had some good ones the last 20 years (Macklin, Gardner, Zemaitis, King, Lucas), but can't remember the last time they had both sides covered with studs.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
If Reid improves his tackling and Haley holds onto interceptions, this could be the best pair of CBs at PSU in a long, long time. They have had some good ones the last 20 years (Macklin, Gardner, Zemaitis, King, Lucas), but can't remember the last time they had both sides covered with studs.

Reid will improve his tackling but the second part of what you are asking ain't gonna happen.

On his radio show tonight, Phil gave special praise for Reid at CB.
Believe Phil also said that Reid is very versatile and he could be added as the Nickel back at times. If so, I thought he said that Chris Campbell might come in at DB.

1 Christian Campbell CB JR/JR 6-1/194 Phenix City, Ala./Central

=======

OTOH, maybe he said Haley would slip into the nickel spot.
This from a spring evaluation from another group...

The Campbell File: Arguably the biggest sleeper in Penn State's Class of 2014, Campbell, a Phenix City, Ala., native, played in 10 games as a true freshman in 2014, including a start against Temple. He was solid as a corner and productive on special teams, finishing the year with 10 tackles, an interception and two pass breakups. He was more limited by injury his sophomore season, missing the final five games with a shoulder problem, but finished the year with 16 tackles and two more pass breakups.

Projected Role: Campbell has positioned himself to be Penn State's third corner behind starters Grant Haley and John Reid and will likely slide into the corner spot, with Haley moving to the nickel, when Penn State goes with five defensive backs. He should continue to be a major factor on the special teams coverage units as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan
On his radio show tonight, Phil gave special praise for Reid at CB.
Believe Phil also said that Reid is very versatile and he could be added as the Nickel back at times. If so, I thought he said that Chris Campbell might come in at DB.

1 Christian Campbell CB JR/JR 6-1/194 Phenix City, Ala./Central

=======

OTOH, maybe he said Haley would slip into the nickel spot.
This from a spring evaluation from another group...

The Campbell File: Arguably the biggest sleeper in Penn State's Class of 2014, Campbell, a Phenix City, Ala., native, played in 10 games as a true freshman in 2014, including a start against Temple. He was solid as a corner and productive on special teams, finishing the year with 10 tackles, an interception and two pass breakups. He was more limited by injury his sophomore season, missing the final five games with a shoulder problem, but finished the year with 16 tackles and two more pass breakups.

Projected Role: Campbell has positioned himself to be Penn State's third corner behind starters Grant Haley and John Reid and will likely slide into the corner spot, with Haley moving to the nickel, when Penn State goes with five defensive backs. He should continue to be a major factor on the special teams coverage units as well.

I wonder if we'll see RS freshman Taylor this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT