ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Cael, Aaron Brooks and RBY -- 2/28 Media Availability

Too lazy to look it up but didn’t someone get totally roasted this past week for saying pretty much what Cael and Rby were saying today about what they think about winning Big 10 titles?
Probably me. I responded to the post about always bet on PSU in March and pointed out Iowa has beat PSU in the last three March tourneys. Two Big 10’s and NCAA’s last year. Then got “roasted” by others saying Big 10’a don’t really matter and NCAA’s are the ultimate prize. Which I agree with but I was being literal when I answered the question.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Who's on first?
giphy.gif

Too lazy to look it up but didn’t someone get totally roasted this past week for saying pretty much what Cael and Rby were saying today about what they think about winning Big 10 titles?
Yeah... That would have been me. Post #93 on the (Rankings Update -Feb 2022) thread. I was taken to the wood shed for saying we didn't care about Big Tens. I was told I was being disingenuous and went so far as to say I and a couple others were trying to make this board cesspool ll. LOL However I have not heard a peep on this thread. I guess it just depends on who is saying it. SMH

Last edited:

Yeah... That would have been me. Post #93 on the (Rankings Update -Feb 2022) thread. I was taken to the wood shed for saying we didn't care about Big Tens. I was told I was being disingenuous and went so far as to say I and a couple others were trying to make this board cesspool ll. LOL However I have not heard a peep on this thread. I guess it just depends on who is saying it. SMH
Not sure where the miscommunication lies. Cael & Co. has only said that the NCAA's are the prize, not the Big Ten's. I think we can all agree on that point.

He's not once said he doesn't care about Big Ten's, so I still don't understand the leap that some have taken. A declarative "we don't care" seems way too strong based on everything that's been said.

Several quotes from Clay in another thread;
"Asked about winning the conference title, he (RBY) says the team isn't super concerned with winning Big Tens but that he wants to win it this year because when they won it in his freshman year he wasn't really one of the leaders on the team."
"Cael, RBY and AB not trying to be dismissive of the Big Ten Tournament, but it's pretty clear this one is lower on the list of goals."

Those are solid posts, reflecting the notion that NCAA's are more important. Again, we all agree on that, right? Though I am reminded that many on here went as far as to say that it was better to have four National Champs last year than to win the Team Title. That thinking is misguided.

Though I am reminded that many on here went as far as to say that it was better to have four National Champs last year than to win the Team Title. That thinking is misguided.
I am one of those that said this last year after the tournament and I would say the same thing this year. At the end of the day wrestling is an individual sport. The ultimate goal is for the athlete to win an NCAA title. Aaron Brooks can't control which other wrestlers on team qualify for tourney, wrestleback for third, go 0-2, etc.

To sum it up..I'd be stoked to have 4 guys reach their ultimate goal and come in first as a team (icing on the cake). But as we saw last year, we had 4 guys get their goal but the team came in 2nd. Opinions vary, but I felt what we did last year was more impressive than the team the ultimately won it.

If Iowa this year gets 4 champions, we get 1 and win the title, I am not feeling as good since our stars missed out on their goals.

Not sure where the miscommunication lies. Cael & Co. has only said that the NCAA's are the prize, not the Big Ten's. I think we can all agree on that point.

He's not once said he doesn't care about Big Ten's, so I still don't understand the leap that some have taken. A declarative "we don't care" seems way too strong based on everything that's been said.

"Asked about winning the conference title, he (RBY) says the team isn't super concerned with winning Big Tens but that he wants to win it this year because when they won it in his freshman year he wasn't really one of the leaders on the team."
"Cael, RBY and AB not trying to be dismissive of the Big Ten Tournament, but it's pretty clear this one is lower on the list of goals."

Those are solid posts, reflecting the notion that NCAA's are more important. Again, we all agree on that, right? Though I am reminded that many on here went as far as to say that it was better to have four National Champs last year than to win the Team Title. That thinking is misguided.
I don't really want to get involved in this pissing contest with you, yet here we are. No one ever once said Cael doesn't care about Big Tens. I said I didn't care about Big Tens. I think I and everybody else has the right to express their opinion on that or any other subject on this board. As for the "many" on here that said they preferred four National Champions to a team title, that is their opinion. I don't agree with that line of thinking, but to each his own. I don't think they are misguided, any more than I think I was being disingenuous and trying to move this board toward Cesspool ll status in my original reply to the post where someone was boasting about Iowa winning three Big Ten titles. I invite anyone to look at my posts to see for themselves if I am trying to drag this forum into Cesspool ll territory.

I am aware you do an incredible amount of OUTSTANDING work on this board for every ones benefit. I just don't understand why you think you have to correct every little thing that is said on here that you don't necessarily agree with.

With that being said, I and everybody else appreciate the hard work you do here. It sure enhances the time spent on this board.

Have a good day. Turk and I have work to do to save this country.

Well, here is another direct quote from RBY from yesterday…

“ I don’t think anyone cares too much about the Big Tens.”

Sounds fairly clear to me.

Yeah it sounds that way to me too. He may just be a little "misguided", or perhaps he is being disingenuous. LOL

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I am one of those that said this last year after the tournament and I would say the same thing this year. At the end of the day wrestling is an individual sport. The ultimate goal is for the athlete to win an NCAA title. Aaron Brooks can't control which other wrestlers on team qualify for tourney, wrestleback for third, go 0-2, etc.

To sum it up..I'd be stoked to have 4 guys reach their ultimate goal and come in first as a team (icing on the cake). But as we saw last year, we had 4 guys get their goal but the team came in 2nd. Opinions vary, but I felt what we did last year was more impressive than the team the ultimately won it.

If Iowa this year gets 4 champions, we get 1 and win the title, I am not feeling as good since our stars missed out on their goals.
But to spin that another way, for PSU to win the title (against 4 IOWA champs), means the other 6 wrestlers probably far exceeded reasonable expectations. So we would have had 6 that did real well, 1 that won the championship and 3 that most likely fell a little short. I'm happy and feeling good. Good team effort. I am sorry for the three that feel short. Every year there are some that fall a little short however.

But to spin that another way, for PSU to win the title (against 4 IOWA champs), means the other 6 wrestlers probably far exceeded reasonable expectations. So we would have had 6 that did real well, 1 that won the championship and 3 that most likely fell a little short. I'm happy and feeling good. Good team effort. I am sorry for the three that feel short. Every year there are some that fall a little short however.
I don't think either opinion is "misguided," which prompted my response.

Example..If I'm Iowa last year..I'm happy, we got over the hump and won a team title which they haven't won in awhile. On the other hand, they had four #1 seeds, 2 that lost in the finals (heartbreakers) and one that didn't place. So while I'm happy the team won, I'm sick for Eirman, Kem and Bull..it's bittersweet

PSU last year, wasn't expected to win the team title based on the depth of a team of 10, but they had three number 2 seeds exceed expectations and won championships and our number one seed went out and capped his season on top. The team finished 2nd, but we had more guys meet or exceed expectations than the team that won.

I'm not saying Iowa fans shouldn't be proud of their team accomplishment, and I don't think it's "misguided" for PSU fans to be more excited for a 2nd place team when almost half the team reached the pinnacle

Seems I struck a nerve. Split Shot, I was only trying to figure out the two times (Feb. 19 & today) when you said "we" don't care. Who are your "we"? The coaches? Nittany Nation (fans), people on this forum? Now you're saying just you, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Here's some quotes from Cael...
"You can just kind of get lost in thought if you're trying to figure out what matters more, are you gonna hold back and save it for the end? Just do your best, do your best in your next match."
"If we want to take care of business at Nationals, the best practice is to do our best at Big Ten's."
"Winning a Big Ten Championship is a big deal, and something that's worth fighting for."
"The Big Ten tournament is always a lot of fun."
"Our focus is on the NCAA tournament. You're not going to win the NCAA tournament if you can't wrestle well at the Big Tens and get there."
"The Big Ten is important to us, we want to win the Big Ten. We want to compete well at the Big Tens... I was just saying that the Nationals is the ultimate. That's where you can be a National Champion and that's what these kids think about and dream about."

In closing, I really don't think we're saying anything all that different.

Reactions: hlstone

He said a lot more than that. The entire Q&A gives a better overall perspective than cherry picking a couple words.

Reactions: hlstone
Seems I struck a nerve. Split Shot, I was only trying to figure out the two times (Feb. 19 & today) when you said "we" don't care. Who are your "we"? The coaches? Nittany Nation (fans), people on this forum? Now you're saying just you, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Here's some quotes from Cael...
"You can just kind of get lost in thought if you're trying to figure out what matters more, are you gonna hold back and save it for the end? Just do your best, do your best in your next match."
"If we want to take care of business at Nationals, the best practice is to do our best at Big Ten's."
"Winning a Big Ten Championship is a big deal, and something that's worth fighting for."
"The Big Ten tournament is always a lot of fun."
"Our focus is on the NCAA tournament. You're not going to win the NCAA tournament if you can't wrestle well at the Big Tens and get there."
"The Big Ten is important to us, we want to win the Big Ten. We want to compete well at the Big Tens... I was just saying that the Nationals is the ultimate. That's where you can be a National Champion and that's what these kids think about and dream about."

In closing, I really don't think we're saying anything all that different.
Yeah, you are likely right that we are not that far apart. You know, this is why I did not reply to your lecture I received on 2/19. However, you chose to engage me again today when I replied to Johnstown Steel's question concerning someone getting roasted. I just don't particularly enjoy being referred to as disingenuous and accused of trying to lead the board toward cesspool ll status. Your choice of adjectives when referring to one's behavior could use a little work. Your use of words such as disingenuous and misguided can and does ruffle feathers. Those are only two instances from my brief interaction with you. I'm quite sure if I had the time and inclination, I could find many more examples on this forum, as you seem to be very proficient in their use. By your manner of writing and attitude, you seem as if you are accustomed to people jumping when you say jump and getting out of you way when you are going somewhere. Perspective.

You are right that I perhaps should have used the Word I instead of we. That seems to be a very important point to you. Hindsight. But, you don't really believe I am alone in not caring about Big 10's do you?

I hope you have a great time at Big 10's. Be safe. I mean that sincerely. Hugs!!!!

PS: Thanks for quotes from Cael, but I watched the same podcast that you did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT