ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Cael, Aaron Brooks and RBY -- 2/28 Media Availability

Getting started here shortly, sounds like it'll be Brooks and RBY first with Cael shortly thereafter.

Asked how he views Big Tens, RBY says he doesn't focus on anyone person, he's taking it one match at a time and moving on. Says he wants to make sure he peaks at the right time.

Asked about Hildebrandt and Dean, RBY says that fans see what they see, that both are hard workers and good additions to the team.

Asked about winning the conference title, he says the team isn't super concerned with winning Big Tens but that he wants to win it this year because when they won it in his freshman year he wasn't really one of the leaders on the team.

Asked about his style, RBY says he gives up much fewer points because he's become better at hand fighting and has filled out a little more.

Reactions: diggerpup
Bravo-Young says that he likes the idea of feeling out a guy at Big Tens before NCAAs but it's a balance because he doesn't want anyone getting a feel for his style.

AB up now. Asked the same question about feeling an opponent out at Big Tens, he echoes RBY in terms of the pros and cons.

Brooks says that he'd advise Creighton Edsell to just go out and have fun. Says that Edsell works hard in the room so he should go out and enjoy himself. "Work hard you play hard."

Brooks says he enjoys doing media sessions and it's something he's been doing since before he came to PSU with his hometown media outlets.

Brooks non-committal when asked if he has the same UFC aspirations as RBY, though he says it's definitely crossed his mind.

Cael up now. Asked about MMA, he says that it's no different than any other wrestler on his team that's preparing for whatever career field they choose to pursue.

Asked whether it's harder to win a B1G title than an NCAA title, he says it's just the makeup of the team and the program and how you organize things. Adds that it's a little different because "you don't normally dream about being a Big Ten champion, you dream about being an NCAA champion" and that the way they design their training is based on that.

Last time Nebraska hosted the conference tournament was 08-09 when Cael was at Iowa State. Cyclones tied with the Huskers for the Big 12 title. Sanderson says the Huskers have passionate fans which make for a great environment.

Cael, RBY and AB not trying to be dismissive of the Big Ten Tournament, but it's pretty clear this one is lower on the list of goals.
As it should be.

If your ultimate goal is the NC, you don’t suffer on the way if you aren’t a big ten champion.

We all knew it but still, kind of surprising Cael basically put it out there he is more than willing to punt Big Tens. Usually coaches give the coach speak "every match matters, we're focused on the next match" etc.

But you know, why even hide it?

Brooks non-committal when asked if he has the same UFC aspirations as RBY, though he says it's definitely crossed his mind.
Bo's MMA gym is going to be huge going forward. We need to get used to this, a lot of top wrestling prospects will be thinking about it going forward, especially since it's now more apparent than ever it's the best base to winning titles.

We all knew it but still, kind of surprising Cael basically put it out there he is more than willing to punt Big Tens. Usually coaches give the coach speak "every match matters, we're focused on the next match" etc.

I agree 100%.

Yeah, I totally agree. I really don't care about Big Tens either. Thats not to say I won't watch them and hope our wrestlers do well. I have heard that many travel to Big Tens and I am very very glad they enjoy themselves.

Someone in the know on the PSU 247 board said RBY was in a bad spot health wise against Iowa. He's much better now (as the last few weeks showed)
Mirikitani mentioned something about the possibility of an ankle injury on his podcast following the PSU/Iowas match.

Cael, RBY and AB not trying to be dismissive of the Big Ten Tournament, but it's pretty clear this one is lower on the list of goals.
Yup. I think they completely ended any debate on the importance of the Big Tens. It’s ALL about the National Titles, both team and individual. Everything leading up to that is simply a means to an end.

ADVERTISEMENT