ADVERTISEMENT

Bucknell/Lehigh week!!

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Nice to have our boys back on the mat this weekend after a nice little Thanksgiving break..hopefully they didn't eat too much turkey!

All rankings used are courtesy of Wrestlestats..

#1 PSU vs #58 Bucknell..
Honestly not much of note here..Wrestlestats has the final 39-3 PSU. Bucknell doesn't have anyone in top 20, so really the only match that can go either way is at 125. 116 Schnupp vs 103 Cambell..Schnupp lost last year 3-1 to Campbell so hoping he can turn it around.

Only other thing of note is if we see Berge/Verk or Cassar/Nevills..my prediction, we see Verk and Nevills this match..

Sunday vs #6 Lehigh..Wrestlestats has us winning 26-9

This match can have some NICE matchups..Last year, we needed Nevills to beat Wood to win this match as for awhile there it looked as if we were going down..we had no Joseph in this match which was big swing, Cortez lost to Karam at 141 and Lehigh jumped out to quick start.

Best potential matches..in my personal order..
#8 PArker vs #36 RBY....Parker hasn't wrestled this year, hoping he comes back for this one..great measuring stick for RBY. My gut..RBY dec Parker if he goes
#3 Shak vs #5 Preisch..Preisch is 2-0 all time vs Shak..both of those wins were back in Shaks 165lb days. I remember those matches where Shak was just burnt out at the end. This will be interesting as Preisch can slow any match down to a crawl and make it tough to score..kept it close with Bo last year..Preisch didn't wrestle in Lehighs last match vs Michigan so maybe injured?
#7 Wood vs #11 Cassar..nice test for Cassar...big Nick beat Wood last year for the win..
#1 Hall vs #7 Kutler..Hall 2-0 lifetime..Mark beat him by a point their first match last year and widened the gap 4-0 at the scuffle. Kutler super defensive, don't recall him even taking a shot vs Mark last year. Can see a similar 4-2, 6-3 win for HAll
#20 Berge vs #24 Karam--Karam got injured at Journeyman earlier this year, hoping he back to see this one..
#1 Cenzo vs #15 Walter..let's see if Cenzo can keep up his bonus pace against a tough kid
#1 Nolf vs #19 Wolf..should be fun as Wolf very offensive, tailor made for some Nolf highlights
#1 Bo vs #8 Weiler or #18 Jakobsen..Weiler off too tough start, Jakobsen no slouch...Bo will dispose of either
Since almost all of these are top 20 or so matchups..might as well list them all..
#4 Lee vs #62 Pomrinca
#28 Farro vs 116 Schnupp

Can't wait for Lehigh dual..hoping all their guys are healthy!

Last edited:
Nice to have our boys back on the mat this weekend after a nice little Thanksgiving break..hopefully they didn't eat too much turkey!

All rankings used are courtesy of Wrestlestats..

#1 PSU vs #58 Bucknell..
Honestly not much of note here..Wrestlestats has the final 39-3 PSU. Bucknell doesn't have anyone in top 20, so really the only match that can go either way is at 125. 116 Schnupp vs 103 Cambell..Schnupp lost last year 3-1 to Campbell so hoping he can turn it around.

Only other thing of note is if we see Berge/Verk or Cassar/Nevills..my prediction, we see Verk and Nevills this match..

Sunday vs #6 Lehigh..

This match can have some NICE matchups..Last year, we needed Nevills to beat Wood to win this match as for awhile there it looked as if we were going down..we had no Joseph in this match which was big swing, Cortez lost to Karam at 141 and Lehigh jumped out to quick start.

Best potential matches..in my personal order..
#8 PArker vs #36 RBY....Parker hasn't wrestled this year, hoping he comes back for this one..great measuring stick for RBY. My gut..RBY dec Parker if he goes
#3 Shak vs #5 Preisch..Preisch is 2-0 all time vs Shak..both of those wins were back in Shaks 165lb days. I remember those matches where Shak was just burnt out at the end. This will be interesting as Preisch can slow any match down to a crawl and make it tough to score..kept it close with Bo last year..Preisch didn't wrestle in Lehighs last match vs Michigan so maybe injured?
#7 Wood vs #11 Cassar..nice test for Cassar...big Nick beat Wood last year for the win..
#1 Hall vs #7 Kutler..Hall 2-0 lifetime..Mark beat him by a point their first match last year and widened the gap 4-0 at the scuffle. Kutler super defensive, don't recall him even taking a shot vs Mark last year. Can see a similar 4-2, 6-3 win for HAll
#20 Berge vs #24 Karam--Karam got injured at Journeyman earlier this year, hoping he back to see this one..
#1 Cenzo vs #15 Walter..let's see if Cenzo can keep up his bonus pace against a tough kid
#1 Nolf vs #19 Wolf..should be fun as Wolf very offensive, tailor made for some Nolf highlights
#1 Bo vs #8 Weiler or #18 Jakobsen..Weiler off too tough start, Jakobsen no slouch...Bo will dispose of either
Since almost all of these are top 20 or so matchups..might as well list them all..
#4 Lee vs #62 Pomrinca
#28 Farro vs 116 Schnupp

Can't wait for Lehigh dual..hoping all their guys are healthy!
Really hoping some or all of the Lehigh studs get the green light (though they may typically confuse the “D” on the shifter with an “R”).

I’m also hoping AC can “avenge” his Bucknell dual (& lone “bad”) loss last year (I know it’s not the same guy).

The real question: will the LTE coverage in Lewisburg allow us to stream Zain vs JO at the same time?

Reactions: pish69
I’m also hoping AC can “avenge” his Bucknell dual (& lone “bad”) loss last year (I know it’s not the same guy).
Barring injury, there is absolutely zero chance of anything less than Cassar by bonus over Stokes, who last year was a 174 who filled in at HWT. That plus Stokes is not as good as Hoffman.

Barring injury, there is absolutely zero chance of anything less than Cassar by bonus over Stokes, who last year was a 174 who filled in at HWT. That plus Stokes is not as good as Hoffman.
Satisfaction doesn't have to be hard to be satisfying.

I believe that it will be Barzona vs Schnupp at 125
Yeah, Campbell's been battling coming back from an injury, but it looked like he had a setback with it at the last tourney. So, it will probably be Barzona.

I like Schnupp in that matchup, but with Barzona it will be low scoring and come down to the end, so Schnupp will have to finish the match strong. That's been an issue up to this point, but would be a nice step in the right direction to get that going here.

Reactions: pish69
Yeah, Campbell's been battling coming back from an injury, but it looked like he had a setback with it at the last tourney. So, it will probably be Barzona.

I like Schnupp in that matchup, but with Barzona it will be low scoring and come down to the end, so Schnupp will have to finish the match strong. That's been an issue up to this point, but would be a nice step in the right direction to get that going here.
I am blue and white--but Geo is the son of one of my oldest friends.. I would like to see Geo get the W here---

I am blue and white--but Geo is the son of one of my oldest friends.. I would like to see Geo get the W here---
No need to be sheepish about that, I would be rooting for Bucknell at 125 if Campbell was wrestling. Jake is the son of a friend of mine, how ironic.

133 I'll be rooting for BU as well, but think that David has a little more of a tall order awaiting him. I think he will show well, last year being thrust into the lineup has really made a difference in him and he wrestles tough. RBY might be a bit much, though, for anybody, lol. Will certainly be a good match to see where RBY is on the bottom for PSU fans.

No need to be sheepish about that, I would be rooting for Bucknell at 125 if Campbell was wrestling. Jake is the son of a friend of mine, how ironic.

133 I'll be rooting for BU as well, but think that David has a little more of a tall order awaiting him. I think he will show well, last year being thrust into the lineup has really made a difference in him and he wrestles tough. RBY might be a bit much, though, for anybody, lol. Will certainly be a good match to see where RBY is on the bottom for PSU fans.
I am excited to see RBY up against top talent...What I have seen so far is very impressive for a true Frosh. 133 is completely stacked! I feel that RBY will make some noise...but how load it will be has yet to be seen..

Three D1 starters from the Bears in the next couple meets. Pretty good for what I remember being a baseball town.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Three D1 starters from the Bears in the next couple meets. Pretty good for what I remember being a baseball town.
The Bears had a very nice run from about 2013 to 2017. My kid was growing up at the same time and I remember that core well, as we were usually coming up short against them. A lot of very tough kids. When we beat them for the district title in 2017 it was the first time I can remember our age group beating them.

They had a great staff led by Pete Ventresca and Tony Haley. Ventresca stepped down after 2017 and was replaced by Dave Jones, but Haley stayed on to help. Jones is a really nice young man and I would expect he will do well. They took a step back after graduating a ton of kids two consecutive seasons, but they have a great feeder program and their kids always wrestle tough.

While they were big rivals during the youth years, we became friendly with some of the Boyertown parents in high school, as happens in this great sport. Looking forward to hosting the Campbell's parents when the Bisons visit the Bearcats this year and at EIWAs.

The Lehigh “rivalry” is instructive in showing how Cael got the program to jump several levels. After the great success we’ve recently had, there’s not a lot of pining for this rivalry to mean something. Good to wrestle them every year, but as Cael said, “I didn’t come here to beat Lehigh.”

If only the football program could jump levels so a vocal minority on the football board - most of them Yinzers - could end the obsession with Pitt.

The Lehigh “rivalry” is instructive in showing how Cael got the program to jump several levels. After the great success we’ve recently had, there’s not a lot of pining for this rivalry to mean something. Good to wrestle them every year, but as Cael said, “I didn’t come here to beat Lehigh.”

If only the football program could jump levels so a vocal minority on the football board - most of them Yinzers - could end the obsession with Pitt.
I wish James from State College would say "I didn't come here to beat Pitt."

Flip side of the Lehigh "rivalry": their fans measure themselves against Cornell. We stopped doing that in 2011.

Well this stinks..per Lehigh match notes, Parker not listed.

LEHIGH PROBABLE STARTERS RECORD 125 Nick Farro (So., Morristown, N.J.) 3-1 133 Brandon Paetzell (So., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 2-2 141 Ryan Pomrinca (Jr., Annandale, N.J.) 0-4 149 Jimmy Hoffman (Fr., Drums, Pa.) 2-2 157 Kent Lane (Jr., Catawissa, Pa.) 1-3 165 No. 11 Cole Walter (Jr., Millmont, Pa.) 1-2 174 No. 7 Jordan Kutler (Jr., Sparta, N.J.) 3-1 184 No. 7 Ryan Preisch (Sr., New Columbia, Pa.) 2-1 Andrew Price (Jr., Rochester, Mich.) 7-3 197 No. 15 Jake Jakobsen (So., Sciota, Pa.) 4-0 285 No. 6 Jordan Wood (So., Gilbertsville, Pa.) 4-0

The final score was going to be ugly with a healthy Lehigh showing up, a watered down Lehigh is going to be really ugly. If Schnupp can get a W a Lehigh shutout is likely/probable.

Just a note of warning if your going to Bucknell for the match, there are 5 different events taking place on campus Friday night. If your planning on eating before the match call ahead to check wait times at what ever place you may chose to eat. Lewisburg and Milton area have a lot of good places to eat. I would most likely park at the old Lewisburg high school, the walk isn't to bad .

Last edited:
Well this stinks..per Lehigh match notes, Parker not listed.

LEHIGH PROBABLE STARTERS RECORD 125 Nick Farro (So., Morristown, N.J.) 3-1 133 Brandon Paetzell (So., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 2-2 141 Ryan Pomrinca (Jr., Annandale, N.J.) 0-4 149 Jimmy Hoffman (Fr., Drums, Pa.) 2-2 157 Kent Lane (Jr., Catawissa, Pa.) 1-3 165 No. 11 Cole Walter (Jr., Millmont, Pa.) 1-2 174 No. 7 Jordan Kutler (Jr., Sparta, N.J.) 3-1 184 No. 7 Ryan Preisch (Sr., New Columbia, Pa.) 2-1 Andrew Price (Jr., Rochester, Mich.) 7-3 197 No. 15 Jake Jakobsen (So., Sciota, Pa.) 4-0 285 No. 6 Jordan Wood (So., Gilbertsville, Pa.) 4-0

No Karam or Wolf either.

I also have a single ticket to the Bucknell dual available.

Last edited:
We are sponsoring the Bucknell/PSU and the Bucknell/UNC dual meets. Is it bad form to wear my Penn State wrestling gear? I hope not!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT