ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Turner on the ugly underbelly of Stanford's "party culture"

I have never understood why so many people on this board have the pictures they have in their signature.
I am right there with you. And I know there’s a lot of locker room talk, but I’m not sure guys would be so excited to have the others on the board talk about their wives or daughters the way they talk about other women.

Compare this to the Vandy football player who will (justifiably) do 15-25 in real, state prison. Nah, white male privilege is just a myth....

Couldn't possibly be a loony CA judge? Nah...must be racial

I lived in Cincy and worked in Dayton for 7 years. That southern Ohio area, south of Columbus, has more in common with neighboring Kentucky and West Virginia than it does with PA. Many talk with a southern slang. Culturally, much more "southern" than PA. Pittsburgh is the closest big PA city, and it was nothing like living there.
100% accurate I lived there in 9th grade omg....:rolleyes::eek:

Sadly, the type of helicoptering you describe here would be more accurately described as adults trying to vicariously relive their youths, imo. So, parenting is probably the problem.
Nah....its helicoptering being driven by indirect peer pressure of other parents...hence if I or my wife are not there it looks like we dont love our kids as much as other parents who are there and our kids need us there to hold their water bottles and watch their cell phones while they play. But yes about 10% are living vicariously thru their children and also some "Trophy dads" in the mix.

Even if one accepts what you are saying, and I do to an extent, but not totally, one would have to say that parents are not doing a very good job teaching their kids how to behave as responsible people. And they don't behave responsibly, because they aren't expected to do so or taught to do so.

There is a difference between helicopter parenting and showing up for your kids activities. The helicopter parent is the one who is the habitual thorn in the side of the coach/teacher/music director as they push for their child. Nothing the kid does is wrong, and there is no chance that they are not exceptional and deserving of all consideration. The kid isn't being reared; they're a status symbol. The invisible parents are just as bad. The kid is dropped off and mom/dad are off to more important things. It isn't an economic issue in my area as many of the worst offender parents are the ones dropping them off with high end cars. Mom and dad are too busy being important and relaxing from their high speed lives to really pay attention. The problem in both cases is self-centered adults producing a new generation just like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftlpsu and Howie'81
Parenting is part of the problem. His parents failed to teach him a value system he could depend on to make good judgements. Or if they did teach that, then he failed to maturely adopt it for self governance. That is a second part of the problem. He is past the age of reason and he is an adult. He is responsible for his own actions. It is like shooting a gun. If you pull the trigger, then you own whatever that bullet does. If that had been my daughter, I think I would be thinking long and hard about my next actions.
In addition, that judge should be disbarred. That is a third part of the problem. This was a miscarriage of justice.

Reactions: ftlpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT