ADVERTISEMENT

Bold prediction.....

if the team plays the way they did last night for the rest of the season....they will not lose another game!
But they won’t, which is typical for most Franklin coached teams. The staff did a great job of prepping the team for Illinois this past as per CJF’s comments.

Yes absolutely, I genuinely think we outplayed them. A few mistakes and a few bounces went the bucks way. Crushing but it happens. It’s all about how they respond . 9-3 is on the table if they play like this

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
The team played their asses off last night. At the same time, the team looked "spent" in many ways. Whether the team can recover and salvage a "decent" (say, 9-3 or 8-4) season is a coin flip proposition at this point. Even against lesser competition, can the D keep up that level of play for another 4 games? Can Clifford continue to heal even while he's taking a pounding? Whither CJF's status and is that on the team's mind? I'll say 8-4 to finish...but who knows?

No run game and turnovers were the difference. I feel a lot better about the rest of the schedule but we’re one injury away from disaster. I think we lose one but steal one against either MSU or UM.

Reactions: BBrown
That IF is the problem and why this isn’t much of a prediction. You clearly don’t trust Franklin to have this team prepared on a regular basis and you shouldn’t trust him. It’s season 8 under Franklin and the fans have to legitimately wonder whether he can beat the likes of Maryland, Rutgers, and Michigan State - I’m confident he wasn’t hired and then extended thinking that would ever be a concern at this point in his tenure. The program is just treading water until a new president and AD are hired (then the fun really begins).

if the team plays the way they did last night for the rest of the season....they will not lose another game!

The team played their asses off last night. At the same time, the team looked "spent" in many ways. Whether the team can recover and salvage a "decent" (say, 9-3 or 8-4) season is a coin flip proposition at this point. Even against lesser competition, can the D keep up that level of play for another 4 games? Can Clifford continue to heal even while he's taking a pounding? Whither CJF's status and is that on the team's mind? I'll say 8-4 to finish...but who knows?
Agreed.

I'm going with 8-4. Next week will be very interesting -- Maryland is a solid offensive team, but there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win by 10+. But you never can tell how a team comes out mentally after giving it their all in a loss like this one.

I remember Maryland playing inspired football for their interim coach in late 2018 and nearly beating Ohio State. The following week, they come to Happy Valley and get boat raced. You could tell they had nothing in the tank emotionally. Hopefully that's not us on Saturday.

If we come out focused, though, we beat Maryland and I really do think that sets us up for a classic against Michigan.

Disagree. IMO OSU was actually a good matchup for us. They have a hot shot QB and great WRs but they don't pound the ball on the ground. The matchup was favorable because our DBs are very good.

Michigan & Michigan State will pound the ball on the ground much like Illinois. PSU's DL is weak against the run without Mustipher so the only way they can stop (or even slow) the run is to bring DBs up in support. That exposes us to the big play downfield. The problem is that Michigan & Michigan State have a better passing game than Illinois so it will be more difficult for the DBs to cheat.

Clifford looked to be 75% against OSU. The problem is we need him to run and he wouldn't or couldn't do it against OSU. We need him to run to keep the defense honest. If he gets back to 100% we have a chance to win 3 more games. Otherwise 2 game is the limit. My prediction is 7-5.

They can beat RU and MD but not Michy or MSU without any type of serviceable run game or the OL giving up sacks like they did last night.
Mich and MSU aren't that great.. They both have beaten nobody and MSU beat Michigan.

PSU has beaten a top 15 team in Auburn and played pretty evenly with Ohio State on the road, we will beat MSU and Michigan.

Cliff is healthy.

Reality prediction:

If the team plays like it did last night, losing the turnover battle 3-0, failing to rush for even 50 yards, and failing to sack the opposing QB even once, the team will likely lose to any legit top 25 team that plays a decent game against PSU......

Reactions: Mr. Nickels 11
Mich and MSU aren't that great.. They both have beaten nobody and MSU beat Michigan.

PSU has beaten a top 15 team in Auburn and played pretty evenly with Ohio State on the road, we will beat MSU and Michigan.

Cliff is healthy.
Cliff is healthier than he was but he's certainly not healthy. There were several times yesterday when he threw off his back foot instead of stepping up in the pocket. There were also times where a healthy Clifford would have taken off and run.

Cliff is healthier than he was but he's certainly not healthy. There were several times yesterday when he threw off his back foot instead of stepping up in the pocket. There were also times where a healthy Clifford would have taken off and run.
Clifford has always had a bad habit of not stepping into a throw, at times, irregardless of an injury.

Disagree. IMO OSU was actually a good matchup for us. They have a hot shot QB and great WRs but they don't pound the ball on the ground. The matchup was favorable because our DBs are very good.

Michigan & Michigan State will pound the ball on the ground much like Illinois. PSU's DL is weak against the run without Mustipher so the only way they can stop (or even slow) the run is to bring DBs up in support. That exposes us to the big play downfield. The problem is that Michigan & Michigan State have a better passing game than Illinois so it will be more difficult for the DBs to cheat.

Clifford looked to be 75% against OSU. The problem is we need him to run and he wouldn't or couldn't do it against OSU. We need him to run to keep the defense honest. If he gets back to 100% we have a chance to win 3 more games. Otherwise 2 game is the limit. My prediction is 7-5.

MSU has less rushing yards per game than OSU and Michigan is rushing for 32 more yards per game against worse competition.

Cliff is healthy.
I think you will beat one but not both.

MSU has less rushing yards per game than OSU and Michigan is rushing for 32 more yards per game against worse competition.
OSU's passing team opens things up for their run game. UM & MSU focus more on establishing the run in the games I've seen. Michigan is 1st in the conference averaging 240 yds rushing per game. Michigan State is 6th in the conference. Illinois is 7th. PSU is 11th against the run.

I just don't think the top rushing team vs the 11th rushing defense is a good matchup, especially with Mustipher out for the season.

Such losers…showing up 100,000+ strong year after year and being subjected to half-a$$ preparation/motivation and losses to likes of Illinois. Shame on that fan base!
I was actually thinking of the ones like you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT