ADVERTISEMENT

Most of the great PSU teams

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
we're built on defense. This defense is very good and getting better every week. Saturday felt like 6-4 against Iowa. except we won thanks to a great defensive performance.

Unlike 6-4, I am very optimistic about the rest of the season. This team has the potential to be a great team.

6-4. I don’t ever want to feel like I did that day.
music video 90s GIF

we're built on defense. This defense is very good and getting better every week. Saturday felt like 6-4 against Iowa. except we won thanks to a great defensive performance.

Unlike 6-4, I am very optimistic about the rest of the season. This team has the potential to be a great team.
Mary...this is not a great Penn State team. The signs are clear, just like last year when we could not run on Villanova then struggled with Indiana. The hope most of us have is something better than 7-5. That's about it.

6-4 is like being forced to listen to Anthony Keidis try to sing.
You don’t like the Peppers?!? Blood Sugar Sex Magik, REM’s Automatic For The People, Nirvana’s Nevermind and Pearl Jam’s Ten saw me through college.

You’re blind if you think this is a great team. First five opponents are a combined 10-15.... Michigan will pound the rock like no one PSU has seen before. Same with Minnesota. The physicality and emotional prep for the next three games do not favor our Nits. Then they will have to play a bunch of “dangerous” teams to finish the year with what will probably be a banged up bunch. Should be interesting but not confident in Franklion getting this team ready for the final run based on his history. Hopeful, yes. Realistic even more so. He is what he is!

You’re blind if you think this is a great team. First five opponents are a combined 10-15.... Michigan will pound the rock like no one PSU has seen before. Same with Minnesota. The physicality and emotional prep for the next three games do not favor our Nits. Then they will have to play a bunch of “dangerous” teams to finish the year with what will probably be a banged up bunch. Should be interesting but not confident in Franklion getting this team ready for the final run based on his history. Hopeful, yes. Realistic even more so. He is what he is!

PSU has one of the best run defenses in the Conference. There's many things you could be critical of, but our run defense is not one of them.

PSU has a very good DL and very good DBs but the linebackers are a weakness. We bring a DB up to help on most plays which leaves our remaining DBs in 1 on 1 coverage. That works against weaker opponents but I'm not sure it will work against top opponents.

8 of the top 9 tacklers in the BiG are LBs. PSU's top tackler is Jayir Brown who is 32nd in the conference. Our top tackling LB yesterday was Sutherland with 3.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Does anyone think this board would look any different if Northwestern had actually won instead of lost by 10 in a monsoon?

• Haha
Reactions: unclewill
Does anyone think this board would look any different if Northwestern had actually won instead of lost by 10 in a monsoon?

I agree with you regarding the weather conditions - they make the final score pretty meaningless from an extrapolation standpoint. The only meaningful data-point in the game is PSU's W. Our biggest offensive problem was ball security by our RBs - we stopped ourselves via fumble on 33% of our drives (add in Cliff's pick and we stopped ourselves on 40% of our drives via TO).

In a game like that with those kind of weather conditions, it is paramount you be able to run the ball - we outrushed NW 220 yards to 31 yards! NW only had 31 rushing yards on 28 rushes! We controlled the ball for 37.5 minutes to NW's 22.5 minutes! The only thing we didn't do is hang onto the ball otherwise the score would have been equally as lopsided as the rushing yard and TOP differential between the teams.

I seem to recall winning a whole ton of games back in the day like we did yesterday (minus the turnovers). Run the ball, score little, win with defense, but now it’s bad coaching. Got it.

Nobody, but they're 8th in total D and we're 65.

Yea, but we're currently #5 in the Country in Rush Defense and scUM's offense is completely predicated on being able to run the ball. And while our Pass Defense is surrendering 262 ypg - QB's are only completing 49% of their passes, we lead the nation in PBU (pass break ups) and have only surrendered 5 TDs.

BTW, you do realize that Minnesota is currently #2 in the nation and leads Conference in Total Defense (222 ypg) behind "James Madison"? And this is AFTER this weeks Purdue game! Doesn't look like those cupcake-inflated numbers translated to b1g play, does it?

The op I responded to specifically said that it was quite apparent scUM would have tons of success running the ball on us based on our performance to-date and I posted that complaining about the performance of our Run Defense is kind of absurd as we have put up outstanding defensive numbers against the run (including yesterday where we held NW to 38 yards rushing).

I seem to recall winning a whole ton of games back in the day like we did yesterday (minus the turnovers). Run the ball, score little, win with defense, but now it’s bad coaching. Got it.
Weather and self inflicted wounds did it in. Do they learn ? I hope so because that should’ve been a boring 38-7 kind of never in doubt win.

I love the job Diaz has done but this is a 1-4 NW team that was terrible last year too. We aren’t great.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Yea, but we're currently #5 in the Country in Rush Defense and scUM's offense is completely predicated on being able to run the ball. And while our Pass Defense is surrendering 262 ypg - QB's are only completing 49% of their passes, we lead the nation in PBU (pass break ups) and have only surrendered 5 TDs.
There's a reason for that:
  • Very good DL. Mustipher had 8 tackles yesterday. Beamon made big plays. Robinson, Isaac, Tarburton are good DEs.
  • Very good secondary that holds up pretty well with 1 on 1 coverage.
  • Weak LBs
  • Lot's of blitzing and DBs coming up to make tackles on running plays.
All of the blitzing helps the LBs against the run but leaves our remaining DBs in 1 on 1 coverage. The middle of the field is left wide open quite a bit. Of course the blitzing isn't just to help the LBs. Franklin and Diaz are always looking for big plays. The opponent could be 4th and 20 with the ball inside their own 5 yard line. I might play it safe, give then 10 yards, and make them punt. Our staff wants to get a turnover. That can be great but it also exposes us to big plays.

Yes, that was Paterno's style. That said NW is a very weak opponent who lost to Southern Illinois and Miami of Ohio. The good Paterno teams would have destroyed NW yesterday.

BTW, you do realize that Minnesota is currently #2 in the nation and leads Conference in Total Defense (222 ypg) behind "James Madison"? And this is AFTER this weeks Purdue game! Doesn't look like those cupcake-inflated numbers translated to b1g play, does it?

The op I responded to specifically said that it was quite apparent scUM would have tons of success running the ball on us based on our performance to-date and I posted that complaining about the performance of our Run Defense is kind of absurd as we have put up outstanding defensive numbers against the run (including yesterday where we held NW to 38 yards rushing).
None of those stats matter at this point. All these teams played inferior opponents And their records are meaningless. They all should be 5 and 0. The real stats will show up over the next few weeks.

None of those stats matter at this point. All these teams played inferior opponents And their records are meaningless. They all should be 5 and 0. The real stats will show up over the next few weeks.

Don't disagree, but they're not entirely meaningless (i.e., if the numbers were bad they could be saying something). In any event, there is nothing in PSU's numbers against the run (again #5 in the nation currently) that would lead you to believe scUM is going to put up big numbers running the ball.... which is the claim that I originally responded to.

Mary...this is not a great Penn State team. The signs are clear, just like last year when we could not run on Villanova then struggled with Indiana. The hope most of us have is something better than 7-5. That's about it.

and you think Minnesota is scary good. Maybe just take a break.

Yes, that was Paterno's style. That said NW is a very weak opponent who lost to Southern Illinois and Miami of Ohio. The good Paterno teams would have destroyed NW yesterday.
Well….are you sure?? Look back at the schedules in 1985 and 1986.

Reactions: 94LionsFan
In the 2nd - 4th games PSU beat Temple by 2, 27-25, East Carolina by 7, 17-10, and Rutgers 17-10. A little later they best Syracuse 24-20, then BC by 4, 16-12.

We didn’t have trouble running the ball, we had trouble holding onto the ball. In addition, conditions were not real good for throwing the ball.

We didn’t have trouble running the ball, we had trouble holding onto the ball. In addition, conditions were not real good for throwing the ball.
Again , I have no idea how good they are. Or anyone else in D1. The flavor of the week is OSU. Georgia faired worse than us yesterday.
You’d think people that have watched this sport for 20-50 years would know this. Win this week, improve to next week:

Reactions: 81b&w

Except when they were losing games 6-4. Who coached the Toledo loss?

How would the not so good Paterno teams do vs NW?

Last edited:
Again , I have no idea how good they are. Or anyone else in D1. The flavor of the week is OSU. Georgia faired worse than us yesterday.
You’d think people that have watched this sport for 20-50 years would know this. Win this week, improve to next week:
Yesterday’s game was not an indication of anything other than we were better than Northwestern and we got a win even with 5 turnovers.

Michigan is a real good team but they are not unbeatable. IMO, we match up athletically and we are close physically. The key to the game will be Clifford. His experience and grit must be on display. We must be balanced offensively. Hopefully our aggressive style on defense rattles their young QB and he is not yet ready to take advantage of all our blitzing.

Agree with this post completely - you really can't interpret too much from this game given the game conditions. W is the only stat that matters. As you say, UGa struggled mightily with Mizzou - and they really have no excuse for it (2nd week in a row they've struggled- last week it was Kent State). At least PSU has a good reason - they were playing in a monsoon, dominated the game every way possible but turning the ball over every other possession. PSU outgained NW on the ground 220 yards to 31 yards.... TOP 37.5 minutes to 22.5 minutes.....

Yesterday’s game was not an indication of anything other than we were better than Northwestern and we got a win even with 5 turnovers.

Michigan is a real good team but they are not unbeatable. IMO, we match up athletically and we are close physically. The key to the game will be Clifford. His experience and grit must be on display. We must be balanced offensively. Hopefully our aggressive style on defense rattles their young QB and he is not yet ready to take advantage of all our blitzing.
Exactly , to be very basic we need to score more points than them. How we do it doesn’t matter.
I use the perfect game analogy . I’ve seen psu post perfect games a handful or two of times in 40 sone years. A perfect game is a solid beat down against a ranked opponent according to me. Bama 86 is an example . OSU 94 is another except for Carter’s fumble at the start of the second half. We might have won 71-7 then lol.

Agree with this post completely - you really can't interpret too much from this game given the game conditions. W is the only stat that matters. As you say, UGa struggled mightily with Mizzou - and they really have no excuse for it (2nd week in a row they've struggled- last week it was Kent State). At least PSU has a good reason - they were playing in a monsoon, dominated the game every way possible but turning the ball over every other possession. PSU outgained NW on the ground 220 yards to 31 yards.... TOP 37.5 minutes to 22.5 minutes.....
All I know is PSU is 5-0. I think they’re 8-4 to 10-2. With improvements they’re 10-2+. But who knows ?

All I know is PSU is 5-0. I think they’re 8-4 to 10-2. With improvements they’re 10-2+. But who knows ?
They have not put together a complete game yet. People need to remember how young and inexperienced they are.
They have athletes and they seem hungry. I see the next two games as close hard fought games.

I don’t think anyone in the big ten will beat Ohio State.

This is a good team with an opportunity to be great. Getting to great will depend a great deal on how well the QB plays from here on out.

Style of a bygone era. Offenses are much more evolved now. Even Nick Saban has said to win against good teams in modern college football in most cases you have to score a lot of points.

Unlike others, I have no idea how the next three play out. I do know that PSU QB play and getting pressure on their QBs without continuous blitzing will determine the outcomes.

Nobody, but they're 8th in total D and we're 65.
Did you count joes wins VS unranked teams? 409-300+=

Psu also played freshman and 3rd st players in the first quarters of those games. Do you think stats are more important? Your stats are garbage. Psu stayed healthy, improved depth and gained experience

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT