ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger Ten Podcast With Giant Rumors

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
Michigan fan Steve Deace does a 30 minute podcast covering the “Bigger Ten”

This week he revealed a series of rumors he has been led to believe accurate by his Michigan contacts.

1. It is likely that cross sectional games such as tOSU/Oregon and Washington/Michigan will be cancelled. Arkansas State/Michigan is likely going to be replaced with a game between Michigan and a school in the Big 10 footprint, such as a MAC school. All driven by Covid policies between regions and travel issues.

2. Some Big Ten schools will fill the schedule with home and home series like Iowa vs Iowa State H&H and playing other league teams twice. Another way to limit travel.

3. It is likely Rutgers and Maryland will not play this fall. Minnesota may join them. The Illinois teams possibly. This will cause recruits and players to transfer from those programs. What happens to their piece of the conference $? What happens with tv contracts when 20% of the games dont happen?

4. There is talk of a four team B1G playoff at
Season end.

5. Conference administrators of the Power 5 are discussing an 8 or 16 team playoff beginning after rivalry weekend and ending at Christmas. The bowls would not be held and travel and play issues could be addressed by playing at agreed to sites. This would be like the FCS model.

Last edited:
Michigan fan Steve Deace does a 30 minute podcast covering the “Bigger Ten”

This week he revealed a series of rumors he has been led to believe accurate by his Michigan contacts.

1. It is likely that cross sectional games such as tOSU/Oregon and Washington/Michigan will be cancelled. Arkansas State/Michigan is likely going to be replaced with a game between Michigan and a school in the Big 10 footprint, such as a MAC school. All driven by Covid policies between regions and travel issues.

2. Some Big Ten schools will fill the schedule with home and home series like Iowa vs Iowa State H&H and playing other league teams twice. Another way to limit travel.

3. It is likely Rutgers and Maryland will not play this fall. Minnesota may join them. The Illinois teams possibly. This will cause recruits and players to transfer from those programs. What happens to their piece of the conference $? What happens with tv contracts when 20% of the games dont happen?

4. There is talk of a four team B1G playoff at
Season end.

5. Conference administrators of the Power 5 are discussing an 8 or 16 game playoff beginning after rivalry weekend and ending at Christmas. The bowls would not be held and travel and play issues could be addressed by playing at agreed to sites. This would be like the FCS model.

Interesting, some of that seems accurate but why wouldn't MD play?
MD is doing pretty well as far as the virus goes.

Reactions: bison13
Interesting, some of that seems accurate but why wouldn't MD play?
MD is doing pretty well as far as the virus goes.
Exactly. Hogan already said regular voting today. Cases declining everyday (even though cases are the worst way to judge this) team workouts are going on without issue from what I've heard.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
Exactly. Hogan already said regular voting today. Cases declining everyday (even though cases are the worst way to judge this) team workouts are going on without issue from what I've heard.

Yea I was kind of downplaying it but actually MD is doing really, really well. And take it for what its worth almost everyone I see in the Balto/Edgewood/Bel Air area is wearing a mask.
And no one seems to making an issue of it.

Yea I was kind of downplaying it but actually MD is doing really, really well. And take it for what its worth almost everyone I see in the Balto/Edgewood/Bel Air area is wearing a mask.
Good for them. Funny since hogan is right there, but not as much mask wearing in Annapolis. There is a county park with two outdoor basketball courts next to the facility I give pitching lessons at and each time I go both courts are full with spectators too.

In general though outside of a couple specific zip codes in pg/mont co, there is almost nothing going on in the state.

Reactions: BBrown
Lots of contracts to rework. And why does playing a local game have and advantage over a game where you take a charter flight as opposed to a bus? Doesn’t make sense

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I don’t know how much trust I put in that Michigan fan and his inside sources.

Isn’t he the same guy who says ‘this is Harbaugh and Michigan’s year’ every August? Then the season happens and he looks like a crushed 8 year old who just dropped his ice cream cone come each November. That’s followed by a ranting podcast about how horrible Michigan and Harbaugh were that year. Then, come August, little Jimmy is a genius again! ;)

I don’t know how much trust I put in that Michigan fan and his inside sources.

Isn’t he the same guy who says ‘this is Harbaugh and Michigan’s year’ every August? Then the season happens and he looks like a crushed 8 year old who just dropped his ice cream cone come each November. That’s followed by a ranting podcast about how horrible Michigan and Harbaugh were that year. Then, come August, little Jimmy is a genius again! ;)
The “Maryland will most likely not play” angle seems to me to be a dead giveaway that it’s just fanciful thinking.

If that's true, what's the point of playing the season at all? Any playoff winner couldn't seriously be considered the national champion, especially if a significant number of schools opt out of the season. $$$$$

Yeah. But you are right next to Delaware. Which is a freak zone.

8 or 16 game playoff beginning after rivalry weekend and ending at Christmas. The bowls would not be held
I hate the idea of voting for a championship, but this is the year for it. Im glad to hear they may cancel bowl games but there is no reason to have playoff games.

IMO the season should be delayed by 2 weeks in order to give things more time to settle down. Just 1 OOC game for a tune up.

I also think all schools will play or none of them play. They would be more likely to wait to spring than leave teams behind. That said, spring ball would totally suck. Conflicts with basketball, the NFL, and spring practice.

I hate the idea of voting for a championship, but this is the year for it. Im glad to hear they may cancel bowl games but there is no reason to have playoff games.
Agreed....and we voted for a champion for years, so might as well do it one more time when necessary.

Penn state with zero cases ... this is what we really are up against since its just a matter of time. Clemson winning the battle to have everyone thru this by season start.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Penn state with zero cases ... this is what we really are up against since its just a matter of time. Clemson winning the battle to have everyone thru this by season start.

Yup. By the time we play Tosu, they’ll be at full strength and we’ll resort to fielding a team from the Blue Band, including the piccolos. :(

Lots of contracts to rework. And why does playing a local game have and advantage over a game where you take a charter flight as opposed to a bus? Doesn’t make sense

Yep.

Most B1G teams have their first game in less than two months, and no one knows yet what the f-ck is going on. One new positive here, another new positive there, and the lawyers will bring things to a halt. Ohio State with a new issue regarding voluntary workouts just yesterday.

Add to that, some Governors in Big Ten states having political axes to grind, and you can kiss things goodbye.

Anyone that thinks this season will be anything but a major fustercluck at this point is crazy. The attorneys and Governors are running the show. Not common sense. If you are expecting any kind of a normal, fully played season this fall, I am afraid you will be massively disappointed.

Unfortunately, personally, I've already written this season off. Looks like another SEC "National Champion".

Yep.

Most B1G teams have their first game in less than two months, and no one knows yet what the f-ck is going on. One new positive here, another new positive there, and the lawyers will bring things to a halt. Ohio State with a new issue regarding voluntary workouts just yesterday.

Add to that, some Governors in Big Ten states having political axes to grind, and you can kiss things goodbye.

Anyone that thinks this season will be anything but a major fustercluck at this point is crazy. The attorneys and Governors are running the show. Not common sense. If you are expecting any kind of a normal, fully played season this fall, I am afraid you will be massively disappointed.

Unfortunately, personally, I've already written this season off. Looks like another SEC "National Champion".
yep. my neighbor is representing a famous coach who is suing the state of Ohio for shutting down his/her summer camp. He told me he was speaking to Amy Acton (Ohio's COVID Guru) and she told him that she felt next summer's sports wouldn't be played as usual either.

yep. my neighbor is representing a famous coach who is suing the state of Ohio for shutting down his/her summer camp. He told me he was speaking to Amy Acton (Ohio's COVID Guru) and she told him that she felt next summer's sports wouldn't be played as usual either.

I'm afraid we've let the genie out of the bottle on this mess, and unless we get some kind of legal immunity for COVID (or pretty much anything else that might cause a scratch), sports, as we have known it in this country, is done.

Reactions: crd5333

Amy Acton is a fool and is unqualified for her former role. This is the same women that in March said 100,000 Ohioans had the virus then. Today it is 60,000. She is a pediatrician. Little to no background in infectious illness and public health education.

Reactions: bison13
Play only big 10 teams because that will guarantee uniformity (enforced by big ten commissioner) in following the same Covid rules.

Play only big ten teams that can bus to and from the game same day to avoid flying/staying in hotels. Might mean playing same team twice (Mich MSU, PSU Rutgers, etc.)

This is a strong rumor;

Between the “ What a bunch of pussies, life has risks, play the games I deserve it “ crowd, and the “ OMG shut everything down for safety until 2027 “ group there has to be a reasonable solution. Unfortunately I don’t have it, so I’m going back to bed.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown

The only thing it potentially does is keep any spread more localized/regionalized.
Planes criss-crossing the country can more rapidly spread things.

Reactions: Obliviax
Play only big 10 teams because that will guarantee uniformity (enforced by big ten commissioner) in following the same Covid rules.

Play only big ten teams that can bus to and from the game same day to avoid flying/staying in hotels. Might mean playing same team twice (Mich MSU, PSU Rutgers, etc.)

This is a strong rumor;

If that is the case, then I say they scrap the B1G Champ and any other forms of playoffs or championships. I am not arguing. If that is the only way we get to 11 or 12 games, then so be it.... I'm just saying that if a Penn State has to play the likes of Michigan, MSU and Ohio State a grand total of 6 times, and let's say that Indiana (also in the East) gets to play Purdue, NW and Illinois a total of 6 times.... obviously that's a pretty big difference.

This is a strong rumor;
Heard something similar in that each team would play one local OOC game and then only play teams in your division. Season would run from October 3rd to November 21st. So we might play a Temple on the 3rd and then the BIG East. This gives the presidents more time and they get to see how things go when students return to campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT