ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger Ten Podcast With Giant Rumors

The only thing it potentially does is keep any spread more localized/regionalized.
Planes criss-crossing the country can more rapidly spread things.
you make a good point. Although it won't be fans, it will be players who will be tested and evaluated on a daily basis.

Play only big 10 teams because that will guarantee uniformity (enforced by big ten commissioner) in following the same Covid rules.

Play only big ten teams that can bus to and from the game same day to avoid flying/staying in hotels. Might mean playing same team twice (Mich MSU, PSU Rutgers, etc.)

This is a strong rumor;

How is 6 or more hours on a bus safer than 1 hour on a chartered jet? If they bus, they stay over nite. If by plane can do all in one day. This makes zero sense.

How is 6 or more hours on a bus safer than 1 hour on a chartered jet? If they bus, they stay over nite. If by plane can do all in one day. This makes zero sense.

I think the travel issues are not so much related to the conveyance as it is to going to another region/state with different Covid policies and possibly at a different level of contagion threat.

Reactions: greenpeach
The bus is door to door. Airplanes involve early arrivals and encountering other travelers at airports, use of airport restrooms, etc.

The bus is door to door. Airplanes involve early arrivals and encountering other travelers at airports, use of airport restrooms, etc.

Airports and airplanes are gross. Lots of potential contact with unmentionables’ unmentionables.

Reactions: Kiber
Tom Dinehart sources confirm Bigger Ten Rumors

On the homepage the latest Dinehart story has the B1G deciding at a meeting to be held on the 9th whether to eliminate 3 non-conference games for each member. The season could also begin later in September.

Eliminating 3 OOC games would mean eliminating all OOC games

Yes it would. However they could deal with this by playing OOC teams in the B1G footprint, or doing home and home games against B1G opponents.

I would not mind playing Temple or who knows, Notre Dame? The Bigger 10 podcast had a rumor ND maybe in contact with B1G teams about replacing some games with long travel commitments.

The long and short of it is these rumors, and that’s all they are now, might be early signs of major changes coming.

Yes it would. However they could deal with this by playing OOC teams in the B1G footprint, or doing home and home games against B1G opponents.

The long and short of it is these rumors, and that’s all they are now, might be early signs of major changes coming.
I Like the idea of a home and home. Hell....I am open to just about anything that gives us football....in the fall.

Honestly, if they are going to give us some water down football where it is a week by week on who is playing, just cancel it. Work with the schools and AD to come up with a plan for 2021, and play a full season then.

As now, I would be shocked if there are bowl games or anything.

wonder if they mean teams in the B1G not currently on the schedule but also having to cancel OOC games. So, we could play, say, 9-12-2020. We are scheduled to play Va Tech and they are scheduled to play Memphis.

Rumors have a 4 team playoff for the B1G. Might make sense with possibly no bowl games and a shortened season.
interesting idea...cancel the OOC schedule and add the playoff at enclosed arena in Indy or Minny between Thanksgiving and New Year.

Apparently you haven’t traveled by private or charter before. Get off the plane and onto the bus. No terminal action.

I have to wonder if any sure-fire NFL-bound juniors around the country will choose to sit out , not wanting to risk anything and base their fortunes on their sophomore tape for next years NFL draft

Reactions: bison13
We should keep the Virginia Tech game. It's really the only out of conference game that matters and it isn't any further travel than most B1G schools.

45-15 win will be important in the polls.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim and psu00
We should keep the Virginia Tech game. It's really the only out of conference game that matters and it isn't any further travel than most B1G schools.

45-15 win will go be important in the polls.

do you think rankings are going to matter this year? Some teams are going to play less games, some none at all.

Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
Amy Acton is a fool and is unqualified for her former role. This is the same women that in March said 100,000 Ohioans had the virus then. Today it is 60,000. She is a pediatrician. Little to no background in infectious illness and public health education.
She very well could have been right. CDC estimates range from 6 to 24 times greater for the infection rate. Stanford and PSU studies indicate that it could be as high as 80 times greater. Which really means that the virus is highly infectious but has a very low fatality rate. Really, not a big deal and no reason to blow up society. No doubt it is nasty for segments of the population that are unhealthy. Protect them and let everyone else live their life.

the virus is highly infectious but has a very low fatality rate.

I think most liberal and conservative states alike have progressed to the point of staying open except for big crowded events, requiring social distancing and masks, and protecting the vulnerable Just think how much less economic devastation if we would have done that in the first place.

Reactions: bison13 and Ski
I think most liberal and conservative states alike have progressed to the point of staying open except for big crowded events, requiring social distancing and masks, and protecting the vulnerable Just think how much less economic devastation if we would have done that in the first place.
Look at Sweden, their fatality rate is about the same as the USA and they did very little and they are through the virus and have most likely reached herd immunity.

Reactions: Ski
Look at Sweden, their fatality rate is about the same as the USA and they did very little and they are through the virus and have most likely reached herd immunity.
Good heavens. About 60 to 70% need to have the virus b/f herd immunity. Sweden is at most below 30%.

Sweden is nothing like the USA. Citizens generally trust the gov't and obey its orders/guidelines. More than half of the households are single households.

Its' economy is in recession with high unemployment and is no better than its European counterparts who shut down.

While the European Commission has forecast a Swedish contraction of 6.1 per ct (compared to -6.5 per cent for Germany and -7.7 per cent for the eurozone), the outlook presented by the Swedish central bank is even more dire -- it anticipates a GDP decline of up to 10 per cent.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/sweden-didn-t-lock-down-but-economy-to-plunge-anyway-1.4973195

At the end of the day, their performance is worse than their neighbours, esp. looking at the death statistics.

I'm not sure why some people don't get it that if the virus remains in exponential phase, the economy is going to crash.

Last edited:
Correct. Doesn't help with everything based on cases which have high false positives and even cdc is picking up on old coronavirus

Good heavens. About 60 to 70% need to have the virus b/f herd immunity. Sweden is at most below 30%.

Sweden is nothing like the USA. Citizens generally trust the gov't and obey its orders/guidelines. More than half of the households are single households.

Its' economy is in recession with high unemployment and is no better than its European counterparts who shut down.

While the European Commission has forecast a Swedish contraction of 6.1 per ct (compared to -6.5 per cent for Germany and -7.7 per cent for the eurozone), the outlook presented by the Swedish central bank is even more dire -- it anticipates a GDP decline of up to 10 per cent.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/sweden-didn-t-lock-down-but-economy-to-plunge-anyway-1.4973195

At the end of the day, their performance is worse than their neighbours, esp. looking at the death statistics.

I'm not sure why some people don't get it that if the virus remains in exponential phase, the economy is going to crash.

It's nearly impossible for any country to isolate itself from economic decline in a global economy.

I don't understand your last point about the economy crashing. Are you saying that if we don't shut it down again it will crash?

I don't think that is accurate at all.
And has anyone determined if "herd" immunity is actually a possibility with this virus?
I've heard different things. Yea crazy I know.

Reactions: bdgan
I don't think that is accurate at all.
And has anyone determined if "herd" immunity is actually a possibility with this virus?
I've heard different things. Yea crazy I know.
Does NYC have herd immunity? I don't think so but they had an incredibly high percentage of deaths (>2,500 per million) and now things have settled down. Same with places like Spain, Italy, France, and the UK. Have the most vulnerable died and now it should be easier sailing from here?

Honestly, if they are going to give us some water down football where it is a week by week on who is playing, just cancel it. Work with the schools and AD to come up with a plan for 2021, and play a full season then.

As now, I would be shocked if there are bowl games or anything.
If you have the option of football vs no football, why would you choose no football?

If you have the option of football vs no football, why would you choose no football?
It's not an easy decision. The money is huge, most kids want to play, fans want to watch, you've got to make room for next year's class, etc.

I support eliminating OOC games because it gives a few weeks to see if things settle down. We'll see.

Reactions: Sullivan
It's not an easy decision. The money is huge, most kids want to play, fans want to watch, you've got to make room for next year's class, etc.

I support eliminating OOC games because it gives a few weeks to see if things settle down. We'll see.
I mostly agree with what you wrote. Nate (above) seemed to be suggesting that he didn't want to see a water down product and would rather see no football than anything less than a full schedule. I do not understand that at all.

Reactions: Ski

Back in March I would have agreed with you about the 60 to 70% needing to be infected for herd immunity. Now your wrong about the 60 to 70% for herd immunity for the simple fact that their is significant natural or cross immunity to this virus. We don't know why, however it is there.

If not, how do you explain the fact that people in the same cabin on the Diamond Princess did not both get the virus? One person would be noticeably sick with the virus and the other person would test negative. That is impossible when quarantined in your cabin on a cruise ship unless a person has immunity to the virus. Same situation on the USS Roosevelt.

If you think about it, it explains why Sweden has a very low daily infection rate (number of cases) at this time. Sweden did not lock down, how do you explain the lack of cases at this time.

The initial models were wrong because they did not take into account immunity of the population. Some estimates have it range from 20 to 50% of the population.

Does NYC have herd immunity? I don't think so but they had an incredibly high percentage of deaths (>2,500 per million) and now things have settled down. Same with places like Spain, Italy, France, and the UK. Have the most vulnerable died and now it should be easier sailing from here?
It's called Farr's law, the low hanging fruit, etc. The most vulnerable die first.

If you think about it, it explains why Sweden has a very low daily infection rate (number of cases) at this time. Sweden did not lock down, how do you explain the lack of cases at this time.

The initial models were wrong because they did not take into account immunity of the population. Some estimates have it range from 20 to 50% of the population.
This link estimates Sweden’s infection rate to be 6.1%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...r-swedens-herd-immunity-experiment-2020-6?amp

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT