ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten network ugh

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I know there’s issues with them which I don’t give a crap about, but calling that game a great game is top of my list for fake news. And the excitement over nine OTs? Like I want to see 14 two point conversion attempts in a row .
All it did was keep me out of the woods for another thirty minutes.

Reactions: royboy
That game was every bit as pathetic as 6-4. Neither team was good enough to deserve a W but unfortunately we were less deserving.
It was worse imo because one referee call and multiple other one play(s) would’ve won it for us.
I can handle losing but crappy play? Awful running game? A qb who looks that physically lame? Either suck it up and get whacked with pain killers if it’s medically safe to play but hurts or rest.

The 9 OTs is misleading because of the new OT rules.

I would not be surprised if there is a 20 OT game some day when two good defensive teams end up tied
Ben Jones had a good take on this. The new rule was put in to protect players from getting hurt but then Sitkowski breaks his arm and is probably done for the year.

I guess they need to add some kind of "pathetic offense" provision.

But you make a good point. 9 OTs in the old rules would have meant a game that started at 12 would have ended around 8pm. They did waste a lot of time marching up and down the field as ILL didn't want to play in front of the students.

Lastly, our guys never imagined playing in that new sudden death, one-play OT. You've got to go all out. It is hit paydirt or not. it doesn't matter if you fumble or take a 48 yard sack. PSU played it like a fumble ended the game. Different rules call for different strategies.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
.Lastly, our guys never imagined playing in that new sudden death, one-play OT. You've got to go all out. It is hit paydirt or not. it doesn't matter if you fumble or take a 48 yard sack. PSU played it like a fumble ended the game. Different rules call for different strategies.
To your last point - is 2 points in play for the defense? That would be the only real downside to going to everything including a Cal-Stanford lateral-fest if you go first. Sacks don’t matter, turnovers don’t really matter, but could if the D can score 2.

To your last point - is 2 points in play for the defense? That would be the only real downside to going to everything including a Cal-Stanford lateral-fest if you go first. Sacks don’t matter, turnovers don’t really matter, but could if the D can score 2.
IDK, that is my assumption...but you'd have to go at least 97 yards.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Agreed. Why?
After the coin flip the winner selects to defend or go on offense. The other teams gets to select end zone/direction. It switches back and forth. We wanted to play in front of the students, they didn’t

The OT format needs to be fixed. If a team cannot win after two OTs, just call it a freaking tie. Deciding a game on 2 point conversions is stupid.

Reactions: Limestoner
IDK, that is my assumption...but you'd have to go at least 97 yards.
I do agree it would be very rare to return one 97 yards, but if the D actually can’t score, then you should be 100% in complete DGAF mode….rather than just 98% DGAF mode.

The OT format needs to be fixed. If a team cannot win after two OTs, just call it a freaking tie. Deciding a game on 2 point conversions is stupid.

This is no different than deciding a hockey game on a shootout or a soccer game on PK's. The format needs to be tweaked but who really wants to kiss their sister after a 4 hour battle?

This is no different than deciding a hockey game on a shootout or a soccer game on PK's. The format needs to be tweaked but who really wants to kiss their sister after a 4 hour battle?
the problem with the old format or the new format is that they do not involve the whole game of FB. the NFL approach is more what I would prefer. The old college format suddenly favors team with solid FG kicker. the new format favors the team that can handle short yardage at the goal line = not a PSU strength right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT